• ...
80
 663
 10,401

Along Came a Wolf

The Bounty Catching, Freedom Dreaming, Winged Wolf Phenomenon

Chapter 18

~{WWP}~

Remember how I last said that everything was going according to plan. Well I guess in the most basic sense of the word that would be true, but when it came to the nitty gritty it was about as far from the truth as it could be. See the overall plan was simple, distract Shining Armor and let Chrysalis impersonate Cadance, pick up the details on how to reach Cadance’s holding cell in the Crystal Caves underneath the city, and kill her; at least according to Chrysalis, since Knightmare was paying me extra to keep the little pony princess alive. Afterwards I get released from jail and make bank.

The only hitch in the plan right now would be the pissed off Captain of the Guard behind me, and the reinforcements he had gathered on our wild chase through the city to incarcerate me. The fleeing was only supposed to last about half an hour before I lost my tail and went to pick up the instructions, but I underestimated the level of pursuit attainable by a pony who believed he was chasing his little sister’s murderer.

The other thing I could not quite wrap my head around was how he was communicating with the other guards to organize my arrest. The few that he picked up that formed the mini mob behind me were the ones we passed earlier on, but somehow there have been traps laid out ahead of me. I’ve already had to avoid three different roadblocks set up by earth ponies and unicorns, and a couple dive bomb restraint tactics by pegasi. I mean, it’s not like they have walkie-talkies to communicate their efforts.

Glancing over my shoulder, I saw a couple of the unicorns had their horns glowing and figured it must be magic communication techniques. I’ve only seen that used once before on a job in Fillydelphia, and it just made me hate the world just a bit more than normal. Of course, while I was remembering getting royally screwed by this form of magic, I didn’t notice the table in front of me and collided with it and stumbled over.

Face planting while being tailed by people whose job it is to capture you is never a good thing. By the time I had managed to get myself back on my paws and steady, I had been surrounded by all of the guards in a tight circle formation. Unicorn horns began to glow, earth ponies were cracking their joints, and the pegasi formed like an upper dome to ensure I didn’t take to the skies. Then the captain of this little platoon stepped forward.

Now I know why everyone’s first impression of this guy was surfer dude with some toned muscles, but believe me he is scary incarnate when he’s pissed. “Nowhere left to run you criminal scum!” Shining screamed at me, charging up his horn. Some of his subordinates seemed shocked that he was about to blast me into oblivion without stunning me. He shot another blast towards my person I managed to duck just in time. The wall to the house exploded from the force, scattering debris and dust everywhere. Not wasting any time, I jumped into the home behind me.

“Pardon me, excuse me, looking good there,” were my statements as I ran past a couple eating breakfast and a mare in the shower before leaping through their window. The look on the mare’s face was almost worthwhile for me to dive into the hooves of a pair of burly pegasi guards sitting outside the window.

“Got you now!” an extremely large, and oddly Fluttershy looking, guard proclaimed descending in front of the two pegasi gripping me under my front paws tightly. “Now we will bring you to the dungeons, under the authority of the Captain Barricade, granted to me by Princess Celestia.”

By then Shining Armor and his posse had gotten to the opposite side of the building I cut through and all had their horns pointed in my direction. I took the moment to get my bearings and realized I was on the opposite side of the city from where the dead drop was, so if I gunned it at high speeds I’d have about five minutes or so to myself before I had to surrender.

With a quick grin shared to the Captain before me, I uttered a tired but still true statement. “You will forever remember this day as the day you almost captured,” with a quick snap of my wings I clipped the two pegasi guards under the chin releasing their grips, “Zeta the Winged Wolf!” In a single stroke of my wings, I rocketed upwards past the stunned pegasi and over the group, almost breaching the first speed barrier with that single thrust.

I propelled myself forward twice more, leaving a Sonic Rainboom in my wake and almost breaching the 2nd speed barrier, but I left that one alone since I didn’t want to show off every ace up my sleeve. I slowed my approach when I neared the dead drop zone. At least it was in a nice spot.

And by nice spot I meant the Royal Canterlot Gardens. I remember seeing a bit of it when I watched the show way back when, and Scootaloo had excitedly told me all about it before. Since I had around four more minutes, so I headed straight to get the dead drop so, if need be, I could vanish before any of the guards managed to get here.

Plus I also REALLY needed to take a leak and there was a specific statue just waiting for it.

There in front of me stood the statue of a rather infamous villain. Discord, the Master of Chaos, stood before me in all his rocky ridiculousness. Without a moment’s hesitation, I floated up to the mouth of the statue and reached inside his gaping maw to retrieve my orders.

It didn’t strike me as odd that the newest threat to the entire country was stashing orders inside the mouth of the country’s last greatest threat. I was fairly certain that Discord could still understand what was happening outside, and I figured he’d find it funny that he was a dead drop location.

Glancing over my orders, my jaw just dropped. The things that I had to do were completely insane. I had to go over it multiple times to memorize the list of tasks and how to complete each one. Once that was finished I torn the paper to shreds with my claws and scattered them to the wind with a simple flap of my wings. Then I realized I had yet to relieve myself.

Turning back around to the statue of the once chaotic monarch, I lifted my leg and let loose. At the same time the pegasi were just reaching my location and saw me relieving myself on a piece in the Royal Statue Gardens. The Master of Mayhem, the Duke of Disharmony, the King of Chaos, Discord himself became my personal pissing square. The look on their faces was the most beautiful thing I could imagine, and I still wish I had a camera.

In their moment of confusion, I took off running again, using the statues as cover. Only the pegasi division had arrived at this point, and was in hot pursuit. I knew I wouldn’t be able to out run the group of them if they were trying, but they seemed content to simply box me in, which could only mean one thing.

Blocking the gate was Shining Armor, with a shield trapping me inside the gardens. The purple wall was stationed directly behind him. As I skidded to a halt, Barricade and her trope of pegasi landed behind me, effectively trapping me between the two of them. I looked to the right, hoping there was some way to escape when I saw my chance.

Shining in all of his brilliance only extended the shield to encompass the gate area. To the right or left of it was just standard stone wall. I knew I needed to take a huge gamble to get out of this situation, so I took it.

With another powerful flap of my wings, I performed another Rainboom Drill like I did against the manticore and tore a hole through the stone wall. Unlike using it on the manticore though, my paws were throbbing having to penetrate a five foot thick wall. I didn’t have time to nurse my wounds though, because the Guard was right on my tail yet again.

I kept running the wild goose chase for the entire day, barely avoiding being caught on too many occasions. Once the moon rose though, my time was up. I sprinted my way back towards the castle of the pony sisters, and low and behold Princess Cadance was up on the walls.

I flew up there real quick and walked up behind the Princess. “So hot stuff, I take it you handled everything on your end, and now I’m here. What now?” She just turned and looked with a malevolent glare at me and shot me point blank in the face with a bolt of magic.

Needless to say, I was extremely out of it at that point. I vaguely remember ponies talking over my semi-conscious form and being lifted up with magic. My memories between that and waking up in a room with a table, two chairs, one of which I was in, and a glass mirror to the right of me did not bold well.

As I attempted to get up in my foggy state of mind, I learned something new about the room I was in. I was chained to the floor, the chair, and the walls. How the ponies got this many chains in here, and let alone how often they were used, I have never found out. I went to spread my wings, but found them bound by some leather like material with probably half a dozen locks situated in it. Looking down my snout I noticed they even put one of those change style muzzles over my mouth, so I had free range to speak and such but couldn’t bite.

Just as I was wrapping up my intel gathering of my surroundings, the door to my room was opened and in walked a unicorn. He was a very pale gray, with bright green eyes and those ink splotches for a cutie mark. His voice was just as obnoxious as his appearance and just screamed shrink when he began to speak.

“Why hello there, I believe it was Zeta, how are you doing right now?”

“Pretty good considering I got shot in the face by Princess Cadance, also bondage isn’t my thing so I don’t quite grasp why I’m all tied up,” I shot back at him with a smirk played across my face.

The shrink just looked at me with a collected face. “You are currently being restrained because of you are very dangerous. Now tell me, why did you attack that pony outside of Captain Shining Armor’s home this morning?”


I made it look like I was pondering before I answered. “Well you see, I’m a bounty hunter and I was hired by an organization that plans on attacking Canterlot in the near future to kill that specific pony since she may have overheard some of their plans and was going to tell Shining Armor.”

That got a reaction out the stoic pony. His eyes bugged out and mouth dropped to the table. He stayed like that for about a minute, and I was really disappointed I couldn’t wave anything in front of his face to see if he was still breathing. Eventually he recomposed himself but his voice betrayed the fact he was still flustered. “An assault on the city? Are you positive? ”

“No an assault on Princess Celestia’s private bathroom,” was my deadpanned response. “Yes and attack on Canterlot. So are we done here? I still have a pony to kill and the people who hired me aren’t exactly friendly in failed assignments.”

Before ink blot butt, as I had lovingly dubbed him, could respond Shining Armor came into the room, horn already glowing. Behind him was Princess Cadance, and if anyone else was paying attention to her, one could see the flash of green cross her eyes. “No you are not going anywhere. You are hereby under arrest under the jurisdiction of the Royal Pony Sisters You are being charged with conspiracy to commit murder, treason to the state, and public urination. I shall be bringing you to your cell now.”

Before I could utter out any defiant words, or ask for my one phone call, Shining Armor blasted me in the face once more and I was out like a light.

~{WWP}~

Author's Note:

That one took a little longer than I would've liked it to. Unfortunately my semester is winding to a close and I have a lot of work that I need to get done, so don't expect the next chapter anytime soon. I have plans for it though, so once I get going it shouldn't be to long in the making.

Also, in news of the tragedy up in Boston, my prayers go to the victims up there. As much as people don't like to accept it, if people want to hurt others, they will find a way. It is despicable, but the sad truth of the world and hatred. It is part of the reason I feel honored to be part of such a loving community such as the Bronies. Thank you for that gift.

Standard typo rules apply.