• Published 22nd Jun 2015
  • 1,453 Views, 42 Comments

Spike: The Dragon Princess - IndiBrony



Twilight is sent to solve a friendship problem in the Dragon Realm, and Spike becomes a Princess!

  • ...
3
 42
 1,453

All the King's Horses

The forest was dimly lit by the burning trees. The dragons were ever present above, seeking out the Princesses. The ponies trotted silently across the muddy ground, over fallen trees and through prickly weeds. Ahead of them, however, was a loud rustling accompanied by a cloud of smoke. The ponies began to cough. They then noticed an obscured figure in front of them which began to move.

With a puff of fire, the creature's face came into view. Twilight recognised it as the dragon she had met earlier. Cadance and Spike both backed off, pulling Twilight away with them. Twilight shrugged them off and went in closer. "Hello?" she called out.

The dragon grunted. "You again?" he snarled. His eyes grew wide as he glanced toward Spike. "Duciel?" He peered closer at the baby dragon. "No. You're not Duciel."

"No. This is my friend, Spike. He was mistaken for Princess Duciel, and..."

"What?" The dragon interrupted. "Nett would never be so foolish."

"You know Nett?" Spike queried.

"Of course I know Nett. He was my number one assistant. The most loyal and dependable dragon I ever met. He'd never make such a mistake."

"Wait a minute. Are you..." Twilight pondered, "...are you King Depaix?"

His eyes widened and his nostrils flared "The pony learned something."

"Yes. I also learned that you made great strides to keep the peace between Equestria and the Dragon Realm. I know you don't hate ponies. So why are you acting so hostile?"

The dragon sighed "I don't hate ponies, and you're right, I was trying to build a peaceful coexistence between ponies and dragons. That was until the Heroes came."

"Who are the Heroes?" Spike asked.

"I'm not too sure. One day they attacked, seemingly out of the blue, and we've been under regular fire from them ever since. They come wielding swords. They used to come one at a time - they could barely scratch us - but then they started coming in numbers, carrying armour, and firing arrows. Suddenly, we were on the back foot. Meanwhile, everyone was busy wondering where they were coming from, but they were mere rumours with no substance. Nobody really knew where the Heroes came from, but the idea that they were coming from Equestria seemed to fit the prejudices of the many and everyone started to believe it. I protested against their ideas, which only lead to them losing faith in my leadership. They threw me out of the realm, breaking my wings as a sign of dishonour. I've been living in this forest since then."

"Didn't you go looking for your daughter?" Twilight questioned.

"Of course. What sort of father would I be if I didn't?" he scorned "Trying to get back into the realm proved impossible. I couldn't fight my own kind without the use of my wings. I still try even to this day. It's no use. When you told me she was missing, I went searching for her. There's a lake not far from here she enjoyed visiting. I assumed if she'd ran, she would have went there..."

"But she wasn't, was she?" Cadance frowned.

"No."

"I saw a scroll," Spike spoke up "about peace talks and a trade agreement between the Dragon Realm and the Crystal Empire."

"That's right, Spike." Cadance added, "Princess Duciel and Nett both travelled to the Crystal Empire to talk to me about bringing more crystals to the Dragon Realm to help fight off the Heroes. We think that it's possible she was on her way to the Crystal Empire when she went missing."

"But if they were going together, then why was Nett still at the palace?" Spike pondered.

"That's right. If she'd been travelling with Nett, then why would she suddenly go alone?" Twilight racked her brains.

"What if she wasn't going to the Crystal Empire at all?" Depaix suggested. "What if she was looking for something else?"

"You mean you think she was trying to find the land of the Heroes?" Twilight asked.

"Maybe she was looking for her father" Cadance smiled.

"We should ask the Heroes." Spike suggested.

"But nobody knows where they come from," Depaix snorted "besides, no dragon would dare to go into their territory - we'd be slain on sight!"

"Not dragons, Your Highness" Spike hinted.

"Of course!" Twilight beamed "We know they're hostile toward you, but perhaps we could go in your place? Spike, you're a genius!" Twilight squeezed Spike tightly, "And that is why you're my number one assistant."

"But that means I can't go with you..." Spike frowned.

"That's okay, Spike" Cadance smiled. "You've got Royal duties to perform here, anyway" Spike stared back at Cadance in confusion. "Look. If there is nobody on the throne, the dragons will fight over who gets it. For now, we need you to go back into the palace and be a leader."

Spike frowned "But I was a terrible leader... and now Nett..." Spike snuffled.

Cadance lifted Spike's chin. "I know. It's tough to be a Princess - you've learned that once already - just keep your head on your shoulders and remember to think about more than just your own needs." Spike was lifted by Cadance's confidence in him. "You're the only one who can do it, at least until we find the real Princess."

Spike wiped away the tears. "You're right. Without a leader, there'll be a huge power vacuum that all the dragons will try to fill." Spike turned to King Depaix, "I promise I won't let you down."

King Depaix seemed less cheerful about the arrangements. "I disapprove of this entirely," he grumbled "however, given the dire circumstances, I fear I have little option. Do as you need to. I, meanwhile, will continue to search for my daughter here."

"King Depaix. I promise you we'll do all we can to help find your daughter, return you to your throne, and stop whoever these 'Heroes' may be. After that, I'd be more than happy to continue peace talks with you." Twilight decreed. King Depaix silently acknowledged Twilight's declaration. "Come on then, Cadance, we've got our work cut out."