• Published 22nd Jun 2015
  • 6,006 Views, 192 Comments

Arrival at Dusk - Vohira



In the magical land of Equestria there is a place for everypony. Even if that somepony was not a pony to begin with.

  • ...
12
 192
 6,006

Arrival 10: Let the games begin

“Watch it kid!” A disgruntled worker earth pony yelled, as the stack of small boxes he was carrying over from his cart into a store on his back almost toppled over as he managed to dodge a white-black-blue streak.

“Woah! Sorry!” Midnight gasped as he almost slipped on the iced pavement of Canterlot main street. In the next instant he had to dodge left to avoid a pair of extravagantly dressed unicorns. “Excuse me! Coming through!”, and then he turned to the right to avoid running into another pony enjoying the crisp, winter morning.

“Well I say!” The white coated pony with immaculate mustaches and a monocle said. “Colts these days…”

“Midnight, wait!” If he was not mistaken, it was Summer who shouted but he was too excited about what he would learn today. Because it was the day. The day when the magical exam results would be hanged out in Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. He probably could have waited for the letter, that will probably arrive in only a couple of days… but he couldn’t.

For the past four days he was - at least so said Dandelion - the bane of the orphanage, unable to sit still or think about anything else other than the results. “I may have blown this out of proportion by a little bit…”, that thought made a small blush appear on his cheeks as he ran through Canterlot.

Luckily for him he managed to convince Summer Dew during breakfast to get out together to see the scores. With there being two of them, Mrs. Rose was easier to convince to let him out, in fact it was easier now than it was when he first arrived.

When Midnight saw the magnificent building of the school with it’s towers and colorful roofs, he grinned. So close… and then he was yanked back by his navy blue scarf.

“Gah!” It was not the most pleasant way to stop, doubly so as he fell into a roll and ended head diving into a pile of snow. When he emerged it was to seeing Summer, breathing deeply, giving him an extremely annoyed look. He chuckled awkwardly trying to not look her in the eyes.

“Midnight… If you run away one more time, I’m going to make you lick a pole and leave you there, with your tongue stuck,” the older filly almost growled, her breath coming out foggy from the cold making her look more intimidating.

He had to give her points for creativity, damn Rumble for tricking his brother into doing just that a few days ago in front of everypony… It’s funny until it’s not you. So the ex-human gulped and vigorously nodded in agreement.

After that the duo, at a much more sedated pace, walked up to the main entrance to the school. Inside as it turned out a lot of young unicorns was milling about. The entrance hall was filled with the noise of excited conversations and an occasional, shouted boast. With the majority of them grouped by a display case, on the right wall.

“The results are probably there, come on then,” Summer said as she started to head towards the dense crowd with Midnight following. As they got closer Midnight almost had a heart attack. At the front of the crowd stood a young stallion with white fur and a short, blue mane and by his side stood a pink pony with a tri colored mane with both wings and a horn.

“No way…” he whispered with a mixture of awe and disbelief.

“Look at that, you made it to the top again Cadence,” Shining Armor’s voice was filled with humor as he looked between the now visible list and Cadence. He got a weak slap in the shoulder for his attempt at humor.

“That got old years ago Shining,” she smirked. “But you always were the second best in everything, humor included…”

The young mares around them giggled as the future Captain pouted.

“Hey, you're alright Midnight?” Summer dew asked as she poked the ex-human in the shoulder, making him shake his head and close his mouth that was slightly open for the shock.

“Yeah, yes,” tearing his gaze away from Shining Armor and Cadence he made the last few steps towards the display case and finally looked at the list. And indeed, Mi Amore Cadenza was listed with number one as Shining Armor was listed with number two. He almost choked seeing another familiar name by the number three, Sunset Shimmer.

When he looked closer by the names was also their age. With a quick glance to the side, and back to the list he managed to form a more solid image of the time he was in. “So they are both sixteen… Meaning this was their last exam. And Sunset is only eleven.”

“Impossible…” Summer’s statement drew his attention from his thoughts. She was now staring at him.

“What?”

Instead of answering him she grabbed his head, directed to him in a specific direction and then pointed with her hoof at a place on the list or more specifically his name. How did he miss that? His name was written on the list by the number four.

“What? I mean… what?” he really couldn't comprehend this. Magister Hearthfire often enough, after the talk with Princess Celestia, said that he got potential but this was a bit much. It being shown on paper made it far more real and mind blowing, when one saw that he was also the youngest on the list.

He was suddenly aware, how much quieter it became around him. He was noticed.

Midnight gulped and looked around. What he saw matched what he was expecting from the sudden silence, everypony was looking at him.

“Who's the squirt?”

“What is he doing here?”

Whispers started to spread.

“All right all ready, you’re making the colt nervous,” Cadence raised voice put a stop on the whispered conversations. “If you’re looking for the younger years scores they’re further down the corridor,” she said with a kind smile.

Midnight rubbed his left foreleg with his other and smiled a bit embarrassed.

“Well… actually I’m Midnight Blackmane,” he said hesitatingly indicating the list with his smaller hoof.

Everypony’s eyes - beside Summer’s Dew - widened at hearing that.

“Well, well… congratulations then,” Shining Armor said as he made a few steps towards the younger unicorn. “I’m Shining Armor, resident second best unicorn,” the teenage unicorn said as he extended his right hoof.

“Uh, nice to meet you,” Midnight said trying to sound as normal as possible given the circumstances, he extend his smaller hoof for a bump.

“And this is my fillyfriend, Mi Amore Cadenza,” the older colt said with a proud smile after the hoof bump. He grunted in pain as said future princess hit him on the shoulder.

“I told you not to call me that, it makes me feel like I’m in trouble,” her smile as she said that was almost contagious. “Just call me Cadence, Midnight. I can call you that?”

“All right and that’s ok,” the ex-human was at a loss for words. What do you say to those two? He had kind of forgotten that he had a high chance of meeting them. “Sooo… that’s your last exam, right?”

Midnight cringed, so many potential question and he asked the most stupid one. Well it wasn't as if he could ask them personal questions… that wouldn't end well he presumed.

“That’s right,” Cadence answered. “After this year, if you keep up you will become the second best young unicorn in Canterlot, exciting isn't it?”

“And a bit terrifying…”

“Don’t worry too much, you still have a lot of years ahead of you before the exams truly mean something. For you they just show you have a lot of potential,” Cadence said as she lightly tousled his black mane.

“Hey, no fair!” Midnight jumped back from the hoof. What was it with ponies and them ruining his mane… more than it already was.

“We should go Cady, you promised,” Shining said as he moved to the pink alicorn’s side. “It was nice getting to know you.”

“All right, all right can’t keep your parent’s waiting,” she turned and waved to the gathered crowd.”Bye.”

It was as if a signal was given, gathered ponies began to walk away talking quietly about something. However the glances they gave Midnight allowed the young unicorn to guess what or rather who was the subject of their talks.

“I think it’s time we go back,” Summer said leaning down before she gave him a gentle nudge.

With a nod Midnight agreed and both started to move towards the exit. The mood during the walk back to orphanage was subdued. Midnight had a lot on his mind and didn’t feel like rushing back or speaking.

First and foremost, how did he managed to score so high. What he did during the exam, was it really that extraordinary? Did he really have that much potential? The more he thought about it, the more he realized he didn’t find this situation comfortable. He always wanted, dreamed about having a significant enough life to leave a mark in the world. Now that it looked like he would get what he always wanted… he began having doubts. ”Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it, eh?”, he sighed at that though that rolled through his mind with a savage bite.

He was a quiet, sometimes even passive pearson and Midnight was well aware of that. A good listener and observer. Maybe that was what bothered him? Because he knew that his high score would thrust him into a spotlight that he was just becoming truly aware of?

Almost on autopilot, he followed Summer that was watching him with a mild concern.

When they returned, he went straight to his room and flopped ungracefully onto his bed. Anypony who asked him on his way up to the room how his exam went, was discouraged from further talk by an annoyed grunt.

Midnight stared at the ceiling that could use a paint job.

”Ugh, what the hell?! I scored high so what? I need to relax… and just be myself, right?”

“Right,” he silently gave himself an answer. Negative thinking never took him far, even if it was so easy to fall into it… especially because of that.

With a deep breath he jumped out of the bed he spent in the last half an hour and headed downstairs looking for Dandelion and the twins. He needed to stop thinking about the exam for a bit and those three always were an excellent distraction.

Midnight managed to avoid all questions about the exam for the whole day and majority of the next. Hearts Warming eve was closing in fast, so everypony pitched in to decorate the orphanage. On that note, Silver Tongue managed to get them tickets for the reenactment of the event in his theater.

However all the decorating meant that everypony was resting in the dayroom, by the fireplace on that Sunday evening.

“So Mid, how did you do on the magical exam? Tell us something, it couldn’t be that bad!” Dandelion said with a cup of hot cocoa held in his hooves, as he sat to the left of the young unicorn colt.

“Yes, this one is also interested”, Trixie managed to somehow mask the annoyance she felt as she joined the impromptu inquisition.

“For Celestia’s sake tell them already Midnight or I will”, Summer Dew all but shouted from the corner she occupied with the older orphans. That also got the attention of everypony in the room focused on him.

“Fine…” the ex-human sighed and braced himself. “I ranked fourth in general, first in our age group”, that last piece of info he got from the letter delivered yesterday. Mrs. Rose was kind enough not to open it before she gave it to him, so that was also news for her.

“That’s incredible Midnight! I think we need to celebrate somehow, maybe extra cake or two on the Eve”, the matrons reaction was ecstatic as she approached and hugged him, talking.

“Nice…” The twins said in unison before patting him not too gently on his shoulders. Midnight didn’t even see them approach.

Everypony congratulated him, all but one. Trixie had an unreadable expression on her muzzle. When the congratulations ended he could finally focus on her. In the past months he managed to learn one thing, that face of hers didn’t bode well.

“Don't be jealous Trix”, it would seem not only he noticed as Dandelion said throwing his foreleg around her shoulders in a loose hug. All he got for his trouble was a glare and an annoyed huff as the blue coated filly escaped Dandelion’s hug. Everypony watched her go out of the room and heard her going upstairs.

“I think… I should talk with her?” Midnight was moving before anypony else said anything.

On his way upstairs Midnight tried to think of ways to solving this newest problem. The only thing he was certain as he got closer to the filli’s room was the he had no idea what to do. Her doors were locked, so he moved to knock but not before he heard something that sounded suspiciously like a sob. He stilled.

Breath in, breath out. His hoof lowered and he silently moved away from the doors.

As he went by his and Dandelion’s room he picked up his scarf and put it on. He needed to clear his head. By the time got downstairs, the mood in the room improved although it was not as joyful as it was before.

As he all but sneaked out into the snow covered garden, Mrs. Rose caught sight of him and send him a warning look.

“I need a minute,” he mouthed silently and the adult earth pony sighed and noded.

The crisp, night air filled his lungs and the sound of snow crunching beneath his hooves filled his ear as he went to sit by a tree. The moonlight made everything glow in almost surreal way. Canterlot became silent as night fell, especially during winter. It was easy to believe that he was alone in the world. Well… not exactly alone.

Midnight’s gaze moved to the marred face of the moon. Memories of his latest talk with Celestia surfaced.

“I wonder...” his whisper became a fleeting, frozen mist. “I’m not the best friend material always struggling to make that connection, at the best of times I’m just awkward, indecisive,” a snort escaped him. “We’re not so different in the end, aren't we?”

Silence answered him.

After that evening the following day was rather awkward for everypony as Midnight and Trixie tried to stay out of each other's way. Maybe it was cowardly, but he was afraid of making the situation worse...

The day of Hearth's Warming Eve came and had everypony in the orphanage excited. Even the blue coated filly returned more or less to her normal mood. Midnight smiled shyly when Trixie joined them at the breakfast as she sat down next to him and in her sleepy state mumbled something that sounded like ‘congratulations’ and ‘I want more lessons’.

They all sat at one table as he learned was custom in the orphanage for the occasion. Mr. Soup outdone himself with at least seven different salads and other light snacks. Everypony - even Midnight, although more cautiously - wanted to try the white roses salad, something extremely fancy as far as he knew. While Midnight suspected he will never be a fan of flowers in his food, he was more than ready to make an exception after a tasting.

After morning of culinary discoveries Mrs. Rose gathered them for their outing to see the Heart’s Warming play. It ended up being relatively short, and mostly how he remembered it from the time he watched it in the show. The only difference being the professional pony actors and set.

When the play ended, they all went on a small walk around winter Canterlot, before heading back to the orphanage. During the walk Midnight stuck close to Trixie and it so happened that they were at the back of their group. He took a deep breath, earlier he came to the conclusion it was time to man up… so to speak.

“Trixie, were you… are you jealous?” he saw her almost tripping on her own hooves in surprise. After a minute of silence he began to wonder if it was such a good idea after all.

“Trixie… I don’t know,” her answer was almost drowned out by the noises of the city. She stomped with her hoof in frustration. “They told me I was going to be great, the best… not average, weak! Before, just before...” As soon as it came, the anger vanished and was replaced by a truly miserable, wide eyed look.

“Just before what?” Midnight couldn’t stop himself even if he wanted too.

“Nothing,” and just like that she quickened her pace.

That made him pause for a heartbeat, it was unexpected. She ran, it couldn’t be anything else. Apparently he stumbled upon something truly important and upsetting for the filly. Walking slowly he realized it wasn't the first time. His eyes widened when he made the connection to the slightly charred picture in her room, ”Her parents?”

“Omph.. Watch it kid!” only when an adult pony walked into him did he realize, that he stopped walking. “Hey, you’re ok? You don't look too good.”

“Uh, I’m fine. Sorry,” he had to quickly trot to get back to his group.

Try as he might he was unable to enjoy the rest of the day. Sure, he played games with the twins and Dandelion, discussed simple magic theory with Summer and Silver. But his heart was not in it. Whenever he could he would sneak glances at Trixie, with the hours passing her mood once more returned to normal, although she did try to avoid being pulled into the games. It would seem her prefered method of dealing with whatever bothered her was reading a book, being left alone and stuffing herself with chocolate cake. At some point Midnight kind of wondered how she managed to eat so much of the cake, that could be the definition of chocolate overdose.

Later in the evening Mrs. Rose called them all to gather by the tree, they all decorated.

All of them appeared by the tree almost instantly, it was time to unwrap their presents. Midnight was suddenly nervous, he was crap at picking presents and with what little savings he had, the choice was rather narrow. He went with books. They were a safe bet most of the time. Daring Do’s books for Dandelion and the twins. Books about starting your own business for Orion and Brass Bit as he heard them talk about it often enough. He even found a booklet on practical jokes for Cherry Blossom, he was kind of sure he was making a mistake with that one but, oh well… For his fellow unicorns, newest editions of books on basic magical theory. From the foreword he had read, it should be an interesting read even for Summer Dew and Silvertongue, definitely for Trixie.

He did kind of forgot about Mrs. Rose, when he realized he would need one more present he ran out of bits.

But Mrs. Rose end up receiving a couple of presents, thankfully. And the group hug she received was the most important one for her, if the look in her eyes and the wide smile was any indicator.

When it was his turn, he received… books. Eight books on magic, one on equestrian sky ship fleet - that one had Silent Flight written all over it - and one empty journal, secured with a small lock.

“And there's still one more,” Mrs. Rose’s comment caught him by surprise.

While holding it in his magic he studied the simple, white wrapping and dark red ribbon. Without much hesitation he tore it open. Inside, now in his magical grip, was a dark red book without title. Only with a strange marking imprinted in black.

He quickly paged through it but the pages were blank. He blinked in confusion. A note feel out that he quickly snatched up, laying the book down in favor of reading the note.

The brightest light casts the darkest shadow. When you master the knowledge in it, seek me out.

C.

“What’s that Mid?” Dandelion’s voice made the young unicorn jump and the earth pony snorted.

“I… don't know to be honest,” Midnight picked the book up once more and opened it on the first page, with his roommate now looking over his shoulder. Surprisingly there was something written there.

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter.

“Because that’s not creepy at all…” Dandelion said in a hushed voice.

“It looks like a riddle to me,” Midnight said, brows furrowed in thought. Something was naging him at the far reaches of his thoughts as he read the short poem.

“Come on, leave it for now. Let’s have some cake before Trixie eats it all,” the light brown coated colt forcefully closed the book and dragged Midnight to the closes table.

The party lasted for a few more hours before Mrs. Rose announced bedtime.

Midnight had to make two trips up and down to gather his new books and put them on the shelf above his bed. All but one.

For more than an hour before he finally fell asleep Midnight stared at the book and note trying to decipher their mystery.

In the Canterlot castle Celestia opened her eyes as she felt the wards she cast recently activate and brake. The cold of the night didn't bother her as she stood on her private balcony.

She raised her gaze towards the moon. With a small, smug smile tugging at her lips she uttered four words.

“Let the games begin.”

If her sister thought only she could meddle with fate, she would find herself mistaken.

Author's Note:

Took ages to get it out, still better late the never I suppose. This chapter also marks and ending of the "Arrival" arc, took me long enough... :facehoof: (I'll need to change my naming scheme)

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed it because it was torture for me :pinkiecrazy:

Oh, yeah also the image of the book is done by yours truly with Paint... :derpytongue2: