• Published 22nd Jun 2015
  • 858 Views, 10 Comments

Heaven Awaits - Ayla



It turns out I've died. Since I've got these wings and halo, I'm pretty sure I know where it is that I'm supposed to be. Unfortunately my bad luck seems to have struck again and I'm lost in the afterlife! But Heaven awaits. I just need to find it.

  • ...
2
 10
 858

Chapter 6 Dream Walking

Chapter 6
Dream Walking

After the funeral ponies miled around, eating and talking quietly. They talked about memories of me and how sudden and unexpected death could be. Eventually ponies started leaving until only Pinkie and her friends were left.

"I'm going to go get started on that investigation of Meadowlark's parents." Twilight told the others.

"Go on ahead sugar cube. We'll clean up here." Applejack nodded.

"Didn't Meadowlark have a cat?" Rainbow Dash remembered. "I didn't see it anywhere."

"Oh I already took Whiskers back to my place." Fluttershy told her.

"I didn't know you had a cat." Giggles told me.

"I wasn't worried. I didn't see her in the wreckage and I knew that Fluttershy would take her. I know she'll take good care of her." I replied. I thought about all the pets I've had in my life then. "Do animals go to Heaven?"

"Some do, and some end up in Limbo." Autumn told me. "Though usually only pest type of creatures end up there and the rest go to Heaven."

"So I'll be able to see my pets that have passed on again?" I asked hopefully.

"Most likely yes." Autumn nodded.

I smiled at that. It would be nice to see them all again. "I wonder what Heaven is like."

"I don't know, but I bet whatever it's like that it's wonderful." Giggles said wistfully.

"I'll do whatever I can to make sure that both of you are allowed in." I told her seriously. I had only been with them a little while, but I already considered Giggles and Autumn friends. It was strange, usually I wasn't able to make friends so easily.

Giggles gave me a big hug. "You're such a nice pony!"

I hugged her back, feeling myself blush a little. "Yeah, yeah. Don't be getting all mushy on me Giggles."

I wandered over to my coffin. The funeral had been closed casket and I wondered how badly my body had been damaged to make them decide it was better this way. I decided it was probably better that I didn't know. Seeing my own mutiliated body would've given me the shivers.

Autumn stepped up beside me. "Are you going to miss being alive?"

"To be honest... no. I mean I'll miss Pinkie and her friends and some of the nice ponies in this town, but being alive wasn't the greatest for me. I had a lot of health problems that I'm free of now. Not to menton I never have to worry about my family bothering me again." I told her. "I know that all of the good ponies here will join me sooner or later so for me death doesn't seem bad at all. Though this is much more of an adventure than I expected."

"I can imagine so. I don't think they usually make too many mistakes like this." Autumn nodded.

"I don't mind it so much. It meant getting to meet you and Giggles." I smiled.

"That's sweet. I do hope we get to join you in Heaven after all this is over." Autumn smiled back.

After everything was cleaned up and my coffin was lowered into the ground and buried, I trotted over to look at my tombstone, curious about what might be on it. Besides my name and the date of my birth and death were the words: A dear friend. She sings with the angels now. I teared up a little at that. I had sung with the Pony Tones a few times just for fun. I was my own worst critic, but others seemed to enjoy my singing.

After the others left we had time to kill before nightfall so we spied on the others a bit. Twilight was investigating my parents but the work she was doing was boring to be honest, so instead we headed over to Rarity's place.

Rarity was busy making a fashion line dedicated to me. She was using my mane and coat colors. I had to admit the dresses were lovely. After Rarity's we took a peek at Pinkie and she'd named a new kind of cupcake after me. I was touched and a little embarrassed at all the attention my death was getting, though I guessed part of the reason is it was rare for ponies to die young in this town. Ponies probably thought it was a tragedy for that reason alone.

We also spied on the others but for them things seemed to be business as usual, except that they seemed sad and more solemn than usual. Fluttershy was giving Whiskers extra attention, which I appreciated. Whiskers had stopped eating and was laying there listlessly. She'd done the same thing for awhile when I'd had to leave her in Fluttershy's care before while I was in the hospital once. I hoped that like last time she'd start eating again in a few days.

Applejack was bucking apples as usual, but I noticed a slight frown on her face as she did so, as if she was thinking deep thoughts. Knowing how Applejack felt about family ties, I figured that hearing about how awful my parents were had probably upset her a great deal. I doubted my parents would ever be able to buy apples from her or her family again.

We discovered Rainbow Dash had made a huge storm over my parents house. My mother yelled at her from the window once but quickly retreated when Rainbow sent a lightning bolt in her direction. Good old Rainbow.

After checking on them we just wandered through the town and I told them as much as I could remember about the ponies and places in it. It was a nice way to pass the time until it finally started to get dark and we headed back to Pinkie's.

We walked through the wall which was effortless for we ghosts and went up the stairs and passed through the door into her room. Pinkie was laying on the bed, cuddling Gummy and crying a little. I hated to see her so upset. I hoped that this would work and that I'd be able to comfort her.

After about about twenty minutes Pinkie's eyes finally started to droop, and ten minutes after that she was asleep. Autumn cautioned me to wait long enough for her to be deeply asleep enough to dream, and then she coached me on how to enter the dream.

"It's not difficult. Just put your hoof on her head, close your eyes, and will yourself in." She advised.

"Well here goes." I put my hoof on Pinkie's forehead carefully so I didn't just pass through her completely and closed my eyes. Let me in Pinkie, please let me in...

When I opened my eyes again, I was in town, but things looked different. It reminded me of when Discord had taken over the town. There were cotton candy clouds raining chocolate milk, a few buildings were floating, and things like that. Pinkie was sitting under a cloud with her head up and her mouth open, drinking the chocolate milk.

"Hey Pinkie." I waved, trying to get her attention.

Pinkie looked at me and blinked. She got up and walked up to me. "Hey Meadowlark. What are you doing in my dream? Wow, you have wings and a shiny circle over your head!"

I smiled at that. Typical Pinkie. "I just wanted to tell you that I know you'll miss me, and that you'll grieve for a little while. That's normal and natural. But please, don't grieve too long. I'm happy Pinkie. I'm not sick anymore and I'm making new friends. When you die, which won't be for a long time I hope, we'll be together again, and this time forever."

Pinkie hugged me. "I'm happy if you're happy Meadowlark. I love you. You're a great friend."

I hugged her back. "You're a great friend too Pinkie. I'll never forget you. I hope you remember this and feel better when you wake up."

"I always remember my dreams. I'll remember this. This isn't just a dream is it? You're really here?" Pinkie pulled back to look at me anxiously.

"I'm really here Pinkie. I came to check on you all and when I saw how sad you were I wanted to do something about it." I smiled.

Pinkie smiled back. "Still looking out for me even after death. But you don't need to do that anymore Meadowlark. Go to where you're supposed to be. Be happy. Spend time with your new friends. Some day, I'll come be with you, and you can introduce me to all of them. We can have a big party."

"The biggest party ever." I agreed.

Comments ( 2 )

Aww.. This was sweet... A sort of bittersweet but sweet nevertheless

Loving this story a ton mate! Keep up the great work!

Login or register to comment