• Published 14th Nov 2011
  • 2,956 Views, 17 Comments

/co/ Vs. Ponychan: The Western Anthology - Write Off



The best of /co/ and Ponychan meet at high noon, their only topic 'Big Mac Braeburn Western.'

  • ...
 17
 2,956

The Quiet Dragon

The Quiet Dragon

The sound of the rails clicked in his ears.

Big Mac lay in his cabin, trying and failing to sleep. He could never sleep on trains, this being his third time riding on one. He avoided it when he could. Big Mac couldn’t much see the point in trains. If it were up to him he would have just galloped the way, sure it might have been slower, but was there any need to rush? He would’ve gotten there in his own time. The way he liked things.

But there was Applebloom to think about. She was too small to make the journey on hoof, the train was the only viable option.

Granny Smith had insisted he bring her along. Apparently in an effort to ‘Make her more worldly’. Though it probably had more to do with the fact Applejack had talked her into leaving the small filly out of her last trip. So Big Mac was saddled with her, along with a saddlebag of apple seeds, slowly making their way through the night by train to Appleloosa.

He turned in his bed. It was too small, not that he wasn’t used to it, Big Mac was large for his age, or any age for that matter. Outside of home he could hardly depend on things being built to accommodate him. Still, it was a mattress and a pillow, he couldn’t ask for much more than that.

Nonetheless sleep evaded him. More so when he felt a slight tugging at his ear.

“Big Macintosh...” said a small voice.

“Yes Applebloom?” he yawned.

“I can’t sleep.”

Big Mac rolled over and opened his eyes. Applebloom stood staring back at him, eyes darting around the dark cabin. He put on a calm smile.

“What’s wrong?”

She twiddled her hooves a bit. “Well...you know I’m a brave pony an’all. But you see I was sittin’ in my cabin thinking about....how you might be lonesome in these dark cabins. What with all the shadow’s and junk....Thought you might get a bit frightened.”

Big Macintosh stared at her for a moment.

“The long and short of it is....would you like me to sleep in your bed?...Just to make sure you stay safe. We’re on an important mission you know.”

His calm smile turned into one of amusement. “Eyup.” he rolled over to make room for the small filly. She quickly hopped up and made herself comfortable under his blanket.

“You still safe?” she asked suspiciously.

“Eyup.”

“Good.”

Big Mac yawned again. “Goodnight Appleboom.”

“Goodnight Big Mac.”

Soon he heard her lightly snoring as she used his back for an improvised pillow. The familiar sound helped him finally drift off to sleep.


The sound of the whistle woke him up the next morning.

The call of the conductor, “Apaloosa Station! All ashore that's going ashore!” rang out through the train. The old pony laughed at his own joke and proceeded to slow the train as it pulled into the cheerily painted train platform that awaited them.

Big Mac carefully got out of bed, trying not to wake Applebloom. No point in waking her up just yet, let her get a bit more sleep before we head out. He thought.

The cabin wasn’t much larger than the bed, he hardly had to walk two paces to get from one side to the other. He reached over to the coat rack, on which hung his old saddlebag, it had been with him for ages, it was only fitting it would come with him here. The apple seeds were inside, tucked safely among the many pockets.

He had to make sure they got to town without incident. These weren’t ordinary apple seeds, they had been bred special for the ponies of Appleloosa, Applejack and Granny Smith had worked on them for months. Though to be more specific Applejack had worked while Granny Smith slept and offered the occasional pearl of wisdom such as ‘Alfalfa is good for the digestion.’. She assured them that they would be the fastest growing, sweetest tasting, heartiest growing apples in all of Equestria. Which would surely help the struggling crops of Applaoosa.

It was an easy enough errand, but after Applejack’s last visit she thought it necessary that they have a guard. You never knew what might happen.

After making sure he was proper in the small mirror nailed to the wall, her prodded Applebloom with a hoof.

“Wake up,” he said simply. He wasn’t one to say more than what was needed.

She mumbled something and simply turned over.

“Wake up,” he repeated.

Applebloom groaned. “Do I have to?”

Big Mac nodded.

There was silence for a moment.

“You nodded didn’t you?” asked Applebloom.

Big Mac nodded.

“You know my eyes are closed right?’

Big Mac nodded.

With a grunt of frustration the small filly open her eyes and hopped on to the floor.

“Fine, I’m up! I swear, you make a better Apple Bucker’ than you do an alarm cock.”

Big Mac nodded and headed out the door of the cabin out into the hall to join the crowd of ponies pouring out into the station. Appebloom followed close behind, trying to avoid stray hooves. Seeing her struggling, Big Mac hefted her onto his back. She looked a bit cross for the help, but didn’t complain.

He recognized a few ponies from Ponyville among the various others they had picked up on stops along the way. A few of them waved cordially as he made his way through the crowd. He offered a few words of greeting then continued on his way.

Big Mac gave a friendly nod to the conductor as they descended the stairs onto the platform. He looked around the station for their contact. It was rather easy to do since he was a good head higher than most of the other ponies in the crowd. He saw a sign reaching above the crowd a small ways away by the ticket booths. He made his way over, the crowd parting in front of him like a force of nature. He muttered a few polite sayings as he bumped in to the slower of the ponies in his way.

When he reached his destination he found a female buffalo waiting for him. She was small, but strongly built, a large torso making up for her rather spindly legs. She wore a pair of feathered earrings along with a matching head dress, onto which someone had stuck a sign that read ‘BIG MACINTOSH’ in hastily scrawled letters.

“I am Little Strong Heart,” said the buffalo. “It is nice to meet you.”

“Likewise,” he said smiling.

Applebloom peeked her head out from behind Big Mac’s large neck. “I’m Applebloom!” she said, peering over Little Strong heart. “You’re a funny lookin’ pony.”

Little Strongheart laughed. “I am not a pony, I am of the buffaloo. It is nice to meet you Applebloom.”

“Oooooh.” Appbeloom hopped from Big Mac’s back and inspected her more closely. “I never met a buffalo before. My sister told me stories about you.”

“Good thing I should hope?”

Applebloom nodded enthusiastically. “Is it true that you robbed a moving train!?”

Little Strongheart laughed again. “Oh, yes, but that was back when ponies and bafaloo were not getting along. We are friends now. No more such adventures for me.”

“Awww...” Applebloom said, disappointed.

Little Strong Heart poked her with a hoof. “But you never know.” she winked at Big Mac. “We might have some adventures of our own while you’re here.”

Applebloom brightened. “Well come on then! What’er we waitin’ for!” She was off like a shot into town.

There was silence for a moment.

“Should we.....catch her?” asked Little Strong heart.

“Nope.” said Big Mac.

Applebloom was back at his side before word finished leaving his mouth.

“Um....were are we going?” she asked.


Little Strongheart led them through the town square. The colorfully clothed ponies of Appleloosa going about daily life around them. Applebloom looked around in wonder at all of the busy ponies and bustling shops. It was a far cry from the quiet town of ponyville.

Big Mac looked rather impassively at his surroundings. He wasn’t really one for travel. He liked seeing new things just fine, but if he were being honest with himself he really just wanted to deliver the seeds and get back to ponyville as quickly as possible. Still, he saw no point in rushing, might as well enjoy the walk. It was a nice enough day, and everyone seemed friendly enough.

Little Strong Heart stopped in front of a hotel. It looked a touch run down, but in that homey kind of way. Or at least that might be what the landlord might want them to think, thought Big Mac. Better to look run down in a good way than run down in a bad way.

“This is where you’ll be staying.” said Little Strongheart, gesturing to the building. “I hope you will be comfortable here.”

This was one of the rare moments when Big Mac raised an eyebrow. “Staying?”

“Oh yes.” Little Strongheart nodded. “It was insisted upon that you at least stay the night.”

Applebloom tapped on her leg. “Insisted by wh-”

“Well howdy cousins!” called an exuberant voice.

“Oh.” said Big Mac.

A yellow pony in a brown vest and hat skidded to a stop in front of them. “Hope ya’ll had a pleasant trip!”

Big Mac nodded. “Hello Braeburn.”

“And if you ain’t a sight for sore eyes! I ain’t seen you since the last Apple family reunion.” He shook Big Mac’s hoof enthusiastically. “And I must say it’s also good to see them there apple seeds! We need them something awful.” he nodded to a few sickly looking twigs sprouting up from the ground. “The winter was harsh, friend. But now, you’re here! And we can get those crops’a growin!”

Big Mac’s shoulder was beginning to hurt. His cousin never quite seemed to know when enough was enough when it came to hoof shakes.

Applebloom seeing her brother’s distress pipped up helpfully. “Hello cousin Braeburn.”

He, much to Big Mac’s relief, stopped shaking hooves and peered down at Applebloom. “Well will you look’ee here!” he said with a smile. “This big’ol filly simply can not be the little foal I left year before last!”

Applebloom smiled. “I sure am!”

“Why when I last laid eyes on you, you could barely stand.” he beamed. “Apple Family genes no doubt. This one here’s gonna make us proud! Just you watch!”

Applebloom basked in his praises. “You bet! I’m gonna be the strongest, toughest, best Apple pony there ever was!”

Braeburn mussed her hair with a hoof. “You sure are. Now come on you two, bet you’re tired from your journey. Thanks for bringin’ em, Strongheart.”

“It is my pleasure. I hope that the both of you enjoy your stay.” She bent down to look at Applebloom. “If you and your brother are not busy later tonight, I could give you a tour of the buffalo settlements.”

Applebloom gave her brother an imploring look. “Can we?”

Big Mac sighed, he’d hopped to be home by the end of the day. But it wasn’t the Apple way to turn down such hospitality. It looked as though he was going to be sticking around for a while. Might as well enjoy it.

He nodded.

“Yay!” Applebloom yelled with a little hop. “We’ll be there!”

“I am glad.” Little Strongheart smiled. “Now if you will excuse me I have a few errands that I must take care of.” she nodded to Braeburn. “I shall see you all later.”

“Bye!” Applebloom waved her off as she disappeared into the crowd.

Big Mac turned to Braeburn, waiting for the cowpony to show them to their rooms. He found him staring of into space. This was strange for two reasons, one because it wasn’t a normal thing for ponies to do, and two because it was one of the rare moments when he was quiet.”

“Braeburn?” asked Applebloom, hopping up and down in front of him. “Are you alright?”

Big Mac followed his line of vision, eyes coming to rest of a Pony he recognized from home. A pale yellow mare with an orange mane.

“Who is that?...” Braeburn asked, transfixed.

Applebloom looked back and forth between the two. Seeing Big Mac wasn’t going to answer she took the initiative. “That’s Carrot Top, she’s from our home town. She sells carrots tomatoes and junk in the market. Last time I heard she was down here helping with the other crops.”

Braeburn tilted his head. “Other crops?”

“You know...” Applebloom made a face at the word. “Vegetables.”

“In Appleloosa!?” asked Braeburn, aghast at the very idea. “But we ain’t planted nothin’ that wasn’t apples since this town was founded!What about tradition?!”

“This town ain’t hardly three years old,” said Big Mac.

Applebloom looked at her brother, this being the longest sentence he’d bothered to put together in a little while.

“Anyway, why don’t I introduce you!”

Braeburn shook his head sharply. “Oh no little, partner that won’t be nec-”

“Come on!”

By the time Big Mac registered what had happened an unwilling Braeburn was halfway across the street to intercept Carrot Top.

He looked forlornly at the hotel, sighed, then turned to follow.


When he caught up Braeburn was trying to collect himself outside the general store. Through the window he could see Carrot Top buying a bag of fertilizer. He briefly wondered if he should offer any words of advice on the matter, but opted not to. It wasn’t his place.

The door opened with the jingling of a bell and Carrot Top stepped out onto the storefront. Braeburn was uncharacteristically silent she walked towards them. She quickly recognized Applebloom and Big Mac and waved cheerily.

“Hello you two!” she smiled. “Applejack told me our trips down here might end up around the same time.”

“Hiya Carrot Top,” said Applebloom. “Sure is a coinci....coincid...Um...”

“Coincidence,” said Big Mac helpfully.

“Yeah that,” Applebloom continued. “Meeting you here.” She gestured to Braeburn, who was beginning to look as though he had swallowed a large lemon. “Have you met our cousin?”

“I don’t believe I have.” She held out a hoof to Braeburn. “Hello, I’m Carrot Top.”

“Oh!” said Brarburn snapped out of his trance and shook her hoof. Big Mac noted he actually managed to stop in a timely manner. “Well howdy there...I’m Braeburn. It’s nice to meet you miss.”

“Likewise,” she said with a small bow. “Always nice to meet the locals.”

“Well,” Braeburn said with some pride. “It certainly doesn’t get more ‘local’ than me, Miss Top! I been here since this little town was founded.”

“Oh really?” You were among the first settlers?”

“Sure enough! Would you like a tour?” Braeburn gestured to the town at large.

“That would be lovely! I was just on my way to inspect the spot for the vegetable patch, but I might as well take a little detour first.”

Braeburn made a face at the word ‘vegetable’ but offered his hoof and led her away into the street.

Applebloom stood staring for a moment.

“So....Who’s gonna’ show us to our rooms now?”




The mare at the front desk was kind enough to look up their room numbers in the registry. Big Mac walked carefully up the stairs which creaked dangerously under his weight. He had a brief flash of himself falling through the third floor then second and into the lobby.

“Big Mac? Is somethin’ wrong? Hurry up!”

Big Mac swallowed the small lump in his throat. He had never told anypony, but he wasn’t very fond of heights, the idea of falling that far terrified him. Still, he was Applebloom's gaurdian until this trip was over. He couldn’t show he was frightened. Though this did not stop him from cursing the fact all the rooms on the ground floor were booked. Hopefully the floor was well built.

The two of them eventually reached their destination, their ‘Rooms’ actually consisted of a single room with a bed, and a couch done up with sheets and pillows. It was a nice enough room, but a bit small for Big Mac, as usual.

Applebloom walked in examining their new surroundings, she pushed down on the mattress a few times, experimentally.

“Well it’s a might small.” she said. “But nice. This is gonna be a fun stay!” The small filly did a little hop. “Thanks for taking me.”

Big Mac smiled despite himself. “Eyup.”

“Well, I suppose you’ll get the bed, seein’ as you’re so big and I’ll take the couch.”

Big Mac nodded, and flopped down onto the bed. It groaned plaintively, but held his weight. He hadn’t gotten much sleep on the train the previous night, he was tired.

“Big Mac?” Applebloom poked his large hide. “Big Mac? Oh come on! We just got here! You can’t be sleeping already. I wanted to see the town! Big Mac!?”

Her voice was drowned out as he drifted off to sleep.

A few hours later Big Mac was awakened by a knock at the door. He begrudgingly opened his eyes and looked out at the room. It was colored slightly be the sunset casting various reds and yellows throughout the room. Applebloom appeared to have been playing with the small amount of things she brought before tiring herself out and falling asleep on the couch. She snored lightly in the corner of the room.

Blearily Big Mac got out of bed, walking slowly across the complaining floor to see who was knocking. He opened the door to find Little Strongheart waiting there.

“Hello, Big Macintosh,” she said cordially. “Are you and your sister ready for the tour?”

The memory of her offer slowly crawled back into Big Mac’s sleepy brain. He looked over to Applebloom sleeping on the couch. Once again he decided not to wake her to early, he leaned over, grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and hefted her onto his back. Applebloom was a very heavy sleeper.

“Eyup.”

He followed Little Strongheart out the town, things were winding down as all around them shutters closed and fillies were tucked into bed. It might not have been Ponyville, but some things were the same everywhere, he mused.

She led him past the outskirts of the settlement and out into the desert, the sun was halfway under the horizon, casting streaks of deep purple and violent red against the landscape. Big Mac stopped to stare for a moment.

“It is very pretty is it not?” said Little Strongheart. “The sunsets on Appleloosa are some of the best in Equestria. It is one of the reasons I picked this time for the tour.

Big Mac bent back to nudge Applebloom. She groaned plaintively in her sleep.

“Wake up,” he said urgently. Or at least as urgently as he ever managed to say anything.

“I don’t wana...” she whispered.

Big Mac rolled his eyes, he reared up on his front legs and gave a sharp buck, tossing Applebloom into the air. She woke up with a yelp as he caught her by the scruff of the neck an turned her towards the sunset.

“Hey! What are you tryin’ to do kill m-...” she paused as she looked to the horizon. “...Wow...” she said softly.

Little Strongheart chuckled. “I thought you would enjoy this. Now, come along, we don’t want to be late.”

Big Mac put a mesmerized Applebloom back on his back and they continued down the trail to the bufallo settlement. .

The sun completely sunk behind the horizon as Luna began her nightly work. The moon hung large in the sky surrounded by more stars than Big Mac or Applebloom had ever seen. The ponyville sky was well lit to be sure, but it couldn’t hold a candle to the desert at night.

Applebloom almost fell from Big Macintosh’s back craning her neck up to look.

“This is amazing....”

“Indeed,” Little Strong heart nodded. “Living in the desert one gains a strong regard for nature and the universe. The sky is part of us, and it is part of you, Applebloom.”

“Really?..” Applebloom asked in wonder.

“Yes, and Big Mac too, everything is tied together, you must simply know where to find the strings.”

Applebloom inspected her surroundings. No doubt looking for small wires, Big Mac suspected.

They came to a large rock formation, it formed a kind of natural stadium, surrounding a large section of desert on all sides. Little Strongheart walked up an incline to a hole in the side Big Mac would never have spotted, she nodded back to them and they followed her into the dark tunnel.

The three of them walked for a short way before coming out into the center of the formation, the moon right above the large opening that yawned open above their heads.

“We, are here,” Little Strongheart said with a grin.

Bufallo sat around in a large circle where a huge fire burned brightly. They were chanting something that the two ponies could not understand.

“We are in luck, the ceremony is just beginning.”

“Ceremony?” asked Applebloom.

“There is no direct translation, but the closest that I am able to come is ‘The time of myths’.” She gestured to the fire. “The elders and all the buffalo of the herd sit around the fire and tell the stories of our heritage. It is a month long celebration of the stories of our forefathers. If I am right, then tonight the first, is the story of the Quiet Dragon. I shall translate for you if you like.”

Big Mac nodded and Applebloom did the same.

“Wonderful. Come! Sit!”

They were led to the edge of the circle, where two other ponies were sitting. When they got close enough Big Mac noticed that they were Braeburn and Carrot Top.

“Howdy cousin.” Braeburn whispered, patting the ground next to him. “You’re just in time. I’m glad Strongheart could bring you.”

They sat down, listening to the growing chants around them.

Braeburn leaned over to Big Mac and whispered in his ear. “Big Mac?”

Big Mac nodded.

“I think Carrot top maybe a bit sore at me.” he looked over to the mare, who turned her nose up and away from him. His ears drooped. “I’m not sure what it was I did...Think I might’ve let slip that I ain’t too keen on a vegetable patch in these parts....but do you have any advice? I hear you’re not bad with fillies.”

One of these days Big Mac was going to be sure to hunt down the pony who kept spreading that rumor. He shook his head vehemently. “Nope.”

“Oh...” Braeburn looked crestfallen. “Alright then, worth a try.”

Big Mac sighed. He wasn’t heartless.

“Flowers.” he said simply. “Try flowers.”

“You think that’ll work?”

“Eyup.”

Braebrun’s trademark smile lit up his face again. “I know just the place, and it’s ain’t far from here. If I hurry I can be back before the first story is over.” he turned back to Carrot Top. “I’ll be right back miss.”

When she didn’t reply his ears drooped again.

“Well....I’ll just...be back then.” He got up and walked out of the tunnel back into the desert.

Applebloom shuffled closer to the yellow filly. “Well that wasn’t too nice...”

“He deserved it.” she said haughtily. “‘Vegetables have no place in Appleloosa indeed! They’re my life’s work. How do you think you would act if I insulted your apples?”

Applebloom was taken aback. She looked after the cowpony frowning. “That jerk!”

“Exactly.”

Big Mac rolled his eyes. Fillies.


After a while the chanting stopped. Big Mac was surprised by the sudden lack of sound. In the silence an ancient looking buffalo stepped slowly towards the center of the circle. His headdress was larger than any other buffalo, and he wore a thick cloth filled with pockets around his body.

“That, is the story teller,” said Little Strongheart. “He is the oldest of buffalo, and the most highly regarded. I hope one day to be as respected.”

He stopped in front of the fire, gesturing around with his front hooves he began to speak.

“Brothers,” Little Strongheart translated. “Sisters, times have been hard over the winter for all, with slow dying crops and scarce water. But, Mighty Buffalo, a time of prosper is surely at hand!” He pointed to Big Mac and Applebloom, much to their surprise.

He began to speak so they too could understand. “These heralds from a faraway place have brought plenty. According to the ponies of Appleloosa, with the seeds the big one carries we shall sow a new crop. One that shall not wither, and shall not die! One that shall make sure both pony and buffalo alike are well fed and happy!”

A cheer went up. Big Macintosh’s cheeks burned as he looked around the circle. He wasn’t used to such attention. Generally he preferred to stay in the background. Still he did the only thing he could think of, and took a bow. Applebloom did the same.

Little Strongheart looked sheepishly at the two of them. “I may have been less than honest about the true reasons for wanting you here. There has been much talk of the crops you bring, Big Macintiosh. You are, as you would say, celebrities.”

Big Mac was shocked by all the focus being put on him, but fortunately they quickly turned back to the ceremony. The story teller did not switch back to buffalo language, for their benefit.

“Now, we begin a legend as old as the Buffalo, the legend of the Quiet Dragon!” he reached into one of his many pockets and threw some powder onto the fire. It burned bright blue, rising high into the night, it seemed to roar like a beast as he spoke.

Applebloom ducked behind Big Mac’s flank as the story continued.

“Long ago, when the world was new and chaos had not yet been tamed, there was a buffalo. The buffalo. He lived in world in which nothing could be depended on. Any food there one moment, might not be there the next and any shelter he found was as liquid as water melting away as the world changed, constantly, unceasingly. It was a hard life.” he paused to inspect the crowd. “One day, he found a river. This being a rarity he drank his fill until his belly was so full it hung beneath him. It was a happy day as rarely was his thirst quenched so well. He fell down by the river’s edge and slept straight through the night.”

“The next morning, he was surprised, the river was still there! In all the chaos around him, it had stayed constant. He had never seen this before, and once again he drank his fill, until his belly was once again full and his thirst quenched. He once again slept by the river edge, happy for this stroke of luck. The next day the river was still there! This was such a shock, he almost feared to drink from it a third time in case it was a illusion, but he looked around and, right next to where he had slept, a berry bush had grown. No longer fearing he ate ravenously, the berries were sweet and ripe, and the water cool and wet. Once again he slept.”

“It was on the forth morning when he awoke, that he not only found the berry bush, and the flowing river, but also a dragon. It’s resting form surrounding him like a wall. In fact, he realized, it had been there the whole time, surrounding the river, and the bush, which had bloomed into the most colorful flowers he had ever seen. It stood protecting him from the chaos that reigned outside its scales. The dragon lifted it’s head and looked deep into his eyes. he thought it would speak, but it offered no words, no reason for what it was doing, it just stared at him, and he understood. He picked one of the many flowers on the bush, and offered it to the dragon. It took his offering then it laid it’s head back down upon it’s massive front paws, and continued to sleep, in silence.”

“It was then, that he knew he would be safe. He lived, under the protection of the dragon, until the chaos ended on the day the Sun and the Moon did battle in the sky, and in the aftermath the buffalo did thrive.”

“It is said, that the dragon did not move again, not for any reason, and it was said that as the centuries passed, it turned to stone, and it is the structure in which we all now sit. The Quiet Dragon, who brings proposer and life, and shall once again, our home among the chaos of the desert.”

There was a cheer from the crowd as the story teller finished. Big Mac looked at the walls that surround them.

“And every year, we go, and collect the flowers that bloom in the desert, and leave them as an offering. From his pockets he produced several color flowers, which he tossed into the fire. They burned quickly, releasing a wonderful smell into the air.

“Do you think it’s true?” Applebloom asked.

Big Mac shrugged. “Don’t know.”

Still as he looked closely at the walls, he thought he could vaguely make out the slightest hint of scales...

A boom interrupted his thoughts. The left wall of the Quiet dragon exploded inwards, Buffalo were thrown off their hooves as the ground quaked. Dust from the falling boulders clouded the air. On instinct Big Mac covered Applebloom, Little Strongheart and Carrot top, fending off the small debris that slammed into his back.

The sudden explosion disoriented everyone, there was pandemonium as buffalo stampeded around them.

“Stop!” called Little Strongheart from under Big Mac’s protection. “Calm down!”

A voice rang out from the dust, it was high pitched and shrill, yet definitely male. “You should listen to the little one!”

As the air cleared Big Mac could see a Buffalo standing alone among the debris in a huge gouge in the rock wall, his headdress was ragged and dirty and his fur was missing in large patches. He had a crazed look in his eye.

“Bear of the Desert.” Little Strongheart practically spat the words.

“Who in the wide world of Equestria is Bear of the Desert?” Applebloom screamed in the chaos.

“A rouge buffalo, he was exiled from the herd many moons ago. He was not happy with the pony buffalo settlement. He thinks we should use violence to exile the ponies from the desert. He does not like the peace was have made.”

“Buffalos!” shrieked Bear of the Desert. “This false peace you have, with the ponies of ‘Appleloosa’ shall end tonight!” He looked around at the buffalo, many of them flaring their nostrils in anger. “I see you! Who look at me with such angry eyes! Is it me you should direct your anger at? Or is it the ponies you think you know so well?” he gestured accusingly at Big Mac, hunched over the fillies protectively. “What has happened since you made your false peace with them? Your crops have died, your winters have taken so much from the once healthy proud buffalo. It is because the Dragon is angry! And today I shall let him vent is rage!”

The storyteller step forwards to challenge him. “What madness do you speak? There is nothing to be gained by senseless war! We have peace, what more do you want?”

“Old fool! We have so much more! And shall have so much more! Witness the first step to the return of legend, for I have found the way, to wake the sleeping dragon!”

He began to chant, low at first, then growing louder.

“Stop him!” yelled the storyteller.

Several large buffalo descended on Bear of the Desert, pounding their hooves into the dirt as they stampeded towards him.

They stopped in their tracks as the ground once again began to shake.

“You’re too late! It is done!”

The walls began to move around them, stones falling like rain from the walls as they shook and rocked. Big Mac grabbed Carrot Top and Applebloom, tossing them onto his back, and nudging Little Strongheart towards the exit tunnel. He galloped forwards, dodging falling boulders as they pelted the ground around him. The tunnel wouldn’t hold up long, it was already half blocked with fallen rock. Bear of the Desert’s laughter echoed behind them as he made a final leap into the tunnel. The walls around them seem to get smaller as the walls around them moved, Big Mac and Little Strong heart struggled not to trip on the uneven stones beneath their hooves. The tunnel slowly collapsed as they made their way to the end. Big Mac shoved Little Strongheart ahead of him, pushing her the last few feet out of the tunnel. He gave a sharp buck hurling Apple Bloom and Carrot top out after him. The falling boulders got larger and larger as he tried to make it out fast enough.

He jumped, and was thrown by the rush of air as the boulders finally closed off the passage.

Several buffalo stood outside, staring as the Quiet Dragon shook, Big Mac wondered what was going to become of the ones left inside, but I couldn’t stop to worry about that. He quickly rounded up Applebloom and Carrot Top again and they proceeded to run to a safe distance.

He stopped to look back at the Dragon, it shook itself free, tearing it’s body from the last of the debris. Against the pale moonlight it’s scales showed bright blue.

“The legend is true!” Carrot Top exclaimed.

Big Mac stared back as he ran forwards, the creature’s head rose up and it let out a fierce roar. He stopped short as he slammed into something going in the opposite direction.

Carrot Top and Applebloom flew off his back as he came to a stop. He bounced off the thing coming towards them and fell to the ground.

“What in tarnation is goin’ on!” yelled Braebrun, rubbing his head. He was holding a colorful flower in his mouth.

“The legend is true!” said Little Strongheart. “The Quiet Dragon is awake! And I think it’s under Bear of the Desert’s control!” The dragon got to it’s feet, it’s giant body flowing like water as it moved. It’s eyes were bright red. It gave a roar. “It is in pain!”

Braeburn stood in shock for a moment, then he grew serious. “We gotta warn the town, come on!”

The three of the galloped towards town, the Dragon thundering behind them, it’s long strides covering far more ground than they could.

“Does the legend say anything about how to stop that thing!?” asked Braeburn.

“No! The dragon was never violent! It’s meant to protect us not harm us!” Little Strong heart said sadly. “This is not right!”

Big Mac thought back to the legend, then looked at the Flower in Braeburns mouth. Suddenly he had an idea. The dragon was catching up to them, there was no way they’d reach town in time. He tossed Applebloom over to Breaburn.

“Give me the flower!”

“What?!”

Big Mac shot him a look.

“Fine, but I hope you know what you’re doing.” He passed the flower to Big Mac.

He had to admit he really didn’t. He skidded to a stop, and turned to face the Dragon.

“Big Macintosh!” called Applebloom.

He didn’t look back, the Dragon was almost upon all of them, if this didn’t work, he didn’t know what would happen.

The Dragon stopped as it reached him, it’s claws, bigger than his entire body, gouged into the desert floor in front of him. In it’s wake he could see Bear of the Desert following close behind.

“Why have you stopped!?!” he shrieked. “Go! Go forth and clense the desert, destroy this pony fool!”

The Dragon looked at the buffalo, it’s red eyes contorting in pain. Then it reached it’s head back, let out a roar which shook the night and descended upon Big Mac. He was lost in a rush of scales.

Applebloom buried her head in Braeburn’s flank with a sob and Carrot Top leaned towards him with fear.

“I’m sorry....” said Little Strong heart.

“Wait! Wait a minute!” said Braeburn. “Something’s happening!”

The Dragon lifted it’s head, it’s eyes wide and no longer red, to see Big Mac head up, offering the flower to the beast.

“What is this!?” yelled Bear of the Desert. “You are the creature of legend! Do not bend to this...pony invader! Destroy him!”

The Dragon did not move. Instead it stared into Big Mac’s eyes.

He understood.

It took the flower, gently from him, and laid it’s head down to rest.

“No!” cried Bear of the Desert. “No! He is not one of us! You cannot take his offering!”

All at once the beast’s tail whipped out and wrapped around the shrieking buffalo, he was lost in a prison of scales. His muffled cries fading as it curled it’s tail around its’ body. It’s great bulk surroundIng Big Mac, still staring at him.

With the sound of grinding stone the Dragon began to turn to solid rock, the sand around it’s body rising to cover it. The walls rose and rose until Big Mac was lost inside. They wavered and shook until it was an exact replica of the previous structure.

Then all was silent.

After a while, Applebloom managed to speak.

“Big Mac?”

There was silence.

A sob crept into her voice. “Big Mac?.....”

Her voice echoed through the desert, but there was no reply.

“Big Mac!?” she yelled desperately. “Please tell me you’re okay!” tears began to stream down her face. “Please...”

Suddenly the sound of stone filled the air again, a hole appeared in the side of the wall. Big Mac, dizzy, but quiet alright, walked through.

“Eyup.” he said, then fell over.




The Buffalo moved happily into their new home, The Quiet Dragon had a new legend. Big Mac slept through the night, it took several of them to move him back to town, and several more ponies to get him up to his room. Applebloom stayed by him worriedly the whole time, lying in the small bed, nestled against his flank.

The Buffalo had a new story to tell, the Legend of the Quiet Pony, who faced the Quiet Dragon. Bear of the Desert was never seen again, though they say if you listen to the walls you can still here him, in the company of the Dragon he tried to control.

Big Mac opened his eyes first thing in the morning. He was sore in several places, and this was not helped by Applebloom’s constant hugging. But he was alright. Carrot Top and Braeburn seemed to get along a lot better, Big Mac took as evidence the face he caught the cow pony eating a carrot for breakfast that morning.

“It’s not bad.” he said.

That evening he and Applebloom boarded the train, this time lighter one bag of Apple seeds. Applebloom insisted on staying by Big Macs side the whole ride.

He looked back as Appleloosa faded into the distance, a new rock formation a bit closer than before.

When he got home Granny Smith asked him if he had fun, he simply replied,

“Eyup.”