• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 12,706 Views, 323 Comments

Echoes of the Ancient - Wandering Axioms



The story of a forgotten creature and his adventures in an odd, yet familiar world.

  • ...
31
 323
 12,706

Prologue

Echoes of the Ancient

By Wandering Axioms

A lost child always returns...

It was an unusually pleasant evening on this day; the kind of an evening that would be perfect for one to take a long walk down the streets of their city and just breathe in the cool, brisk October air.

That is precisely what young Aiden did this evening. But he was not in a city of course, he was wandering the desert, almost aimlessly, the events of the past forty eight hours slamming his memory over and over again. He was wearing his armor and gas mask of course; here in the Exclusion Zone, you never know when you could be hit by Reborn ambush, or when you might accidentally cross into a radiation hot zone. But then again, it would probably be for the best that he died out here in this remote area of the Nevada desert, than to report back to base camp, be detained for God knows how long, and be interrogated on the incident over the previous two days. Actually, it would’ve been best if he’d died along with the rest of his team, fighting against the Reborn militia.

He found it hard to believe that merely seven or so hours earlier, he was running desperately for his life through the aqueducts and sewers of Detachment 04 as the entire facility was exploding and falling apart over his head.

In the shadow of these past events, the words of his stepfather from five years before came rushing back to him: “You’re only fifteen, Aiden; you have an entire life ahead of you. Are you certain you’re ready to make a commitment as big as joining the Network?”

The Network...

It still seems hard to believe that all six of his teammates were around his age the day he met them; fifteen, sixteen, seventeen years old. He and his team actually only participated in four missions over the five years that they’ve been members of the Network; (or Assets as they’re called) that includes this latest blunder of a mission.

Their first mission was in Washington D.C. only three days after they met, and most of them still doubted his ability to lead. Their second mission was several months later, in Tesanga; a country in western Africa, and later in Xuchung, a small east Asian nation. Their third mission was nearly a year later, just north of Baghdad; it was in this mission that one of his teammates, Logan Somers, perished.

No, Somers didn’t die in that bunker,” Aiden corrected himself. “He was just declared MIA.”

It was three years since that mission. And now, over the past forty eight hours, the remaining five people in his team were picked off one by one: Alex died in the VTOL crash on the way to Detachment 04, his final words were on his extensive family. “He did have the largest family of us all...” Aiden whispered to himself. Mary was killed while distracting an enormous flame strider...by running around the parking lot of an abandoned school, picking up any explosives she could use from fallen soldiers. “At least the girl went out, doing what she loved: blowing things up...” Leon was hit by a Reborn sniper (ironically) in the chest, yet still had the breath in him to curse and swear all the while, beating one last Reborn soldier to death with his bare hands. David, the poor kid, he was surrounded by Reborn and simply beaten to death; he did manage to take four of them with him by pulling the pins on all of his grenades. Aiden sighed. “That was surprisingly courageous of the timid kid.” And lastly, Emily fell to her death as she and Aiden made their way to the bottom of Detachment 04.

In his left hand, he clenched the dog tags of his teammates. With his other hand, he sifted through them, just to make sure he had them all with him. “Lance Corporal Alex Rey, age nineteen; Specialist Mary Willis, age twenty; Corporal Leon Caine, age twenty one; Private First Class David Bern, age eighteen; and Private First Class Emily Benet, age eighteen.” Yes, everyone was here.

He pulled his own dog tag out and gazed at it somberly behind his gas mask. “Sergeant Aiden Marsh, nineteen...” All except for Logan’s tag. “I wonder how old Logan would be?” Aiden asked out loud. “He disappeared on that mission about three years ago, he was around Leon’s age...he was born on...” Aiden shook his head, trying to grasp for the correct answer. “He was born on...October 29th.” The realization hit him like a freight train. “He would be twenty two, as of today...” He sighs in exhaustion and leans against a small boulder jutting out of the desert sand, his back facing the setting sun.

Last night he had actually cried. Sure he had done so before, but the previous evening, in the aftermath of the Reborn incident, he had sobbed profusely over the deaths of his teammates and friends. He also weeped for his stepfather (he never knew his real parents) whom had passed away from unknown causes nearly a year before.

One wouldn’t be able to see it, but his eyes behind the gas mask were dry and red from shedding tears. He turned to gaze at the still setting sun, slowly sinking behind the desert’s horizon. He thought to himself.

It’s getting late...I guess I’ll head back to base camp in the morning.

It wasn’t exactly the wisest thing to sleep out in the open like this, especially at night, but he really didn’t have the strength or the enthusiasm to trudge all the way back to base camp, only to be bombarded by interrogators, asking question after tedious question on the events that had occurred these past two days. Even more so, he honestly didn’t even care if some wild animal came and devoured him in his sleep. For after the questions were over, and he was sent back home, what would he have to return to? His stepfather, the only family he ever had in his short life, was gone, his team and friends were all gone. He would probably be decommissioned from the Network; everyone who ever gave a damn about him or his well being...gone. He had no one to be cared by and no one and nothing to care for.

He leaned further back into the boulder he was sitting on and waited. Whether it was sleep or death that came first, Aiden gladly welcomed it.

Several hours later, the sky was absolutely black: no moon, no stars, nothing. He still hadn’t sucummed to exhaustion yet, which was greatly annoying him. “So, am I just going to have a staring contest with the sky tonight, or what?” He hoarsely whispered to himself. It probably would’ve helped if he wasn’t using a rock as a boulder...

He chuckles. “Hmph, silly me...”

A loud, sudden crackling noise startles him to full alertness. He scrambles for either his automatic rifle or pistol, only to remember that he had neither on him. “God damn it...” he cursed. As for the source of the noise, Aiden panned his view across the pitch black landscape. It actually reminded him of some early 21st century sci-fi film “Who was the main character? Roderick? Raddock?” He shook his head. “Focus, damn you, Aiden!

It was at this point that he remembered his flashlight. “Of course, how could I forget?” After a click of the button, and a small amount of blinking, the light came to life, illuminating the desert landscape before Aiden. “Good, at least this thing still works!” As if on cue, the flashlight made a noise and just died like that. Aiden growled in frustration as he threw the broken thing against the boulder he was using as a pillow, shattering it to pieces as if it were a fragile glass ornament.

“Well, whatever it was, it seems to be gone now...” Aiden said, a sudden feeling of fatigue coming over him. “Finally, I actually feel tired, maybe I can get some sleep.” He did hear one last thing before surrendering to fatigue. It was faint and calm...it was a voice.

"We know you by name...your memories are wreathed with our future...our world is in danger, Intervention. We remember your name...remember ours...return to us..."