• Published 1st Jun 2016
  • 2,843 Views, 154 Comments

The Veins Run Deeper - Thunderblast



Four and a half years after peace returned to his colony, Night Shadow has come to a point in his career where he must prepare new recruits to see if they have what it takes to be Princess Luna's royal guardians.

  • ...
1
 154
 2,843

The New Recruits - Part I

"So, this is it, I suppose," Night Shadow said with a sigh. "Time to go home and get back to work."

"You will visit again, right?" Skywatcher gave a sly grin. "I'd hate for you to avoid your family and use your work as an excuse."

Night chuckled and gently nudged his father's shoulder. "Oh, shush, of course I will be back. Maybe for Hearth's Warming, but I don't know. That's typically my busiest time of the year."

"But we don't celebrate Hearth's Warming, remember?" Dawn spoke up, only to be silenced by Skywatcher's hoof. She pouted and crossed her hooves.

"That would be great, son. We had a great time with you this week, and we can't wait until next time," Night's father smiled, holding his one hoof out.

Night smiled back warmly, stepping forward into a gentle embrace with his father, followed by Dawn and Midnight joining in. "I can't either."

A couple of minutes of hugging later, the four broke the embrace, and Night turned for the door, resting his hoof on the handle.

"Night?"

He paused, looking back at the three bat ponies.

"Have a safe trip."

Night's lips pursed into another smile, then he gave a single nod. "That I shall do. I love you. I love you all."

With that, Night opened the door and walked out into the warm afternoon sunlight, spreading his wings and flapping hard once to put himself in the air, his family watching as the pegasus glided away into the sky.

***

Night slipped the payment to the pony inside the ticket booth, who then printed the brown slip and handed it to the dark grey pegasus. "Have a safe trip."

"Thank you, you have a nice day." Night nodded once with a smile.

With a gentle breeze rolling through the valley, and the air not too hot or humid, Night decided to wait outside, trotting over to some chairs in the shade on the train platform.

The station itself was evidently newly-constructed, as the scent of fresh-cut wood lingered in the air. Then again, it could have been from the new buildings being put up nearby, Night thought.

Only a couple of other ponies occupied the platform, both thestral ponies and presumably a couple by the looks of it. Even for the small city, the station had a rather lengthy platform to hold large crowds in the event of Batsburg somehow becoming a tourist destination, not that Night questioned the construction.

He briefly glanced over to a pole with a bat-winged clock resting on top, narrowing his eyes to read carefully. The train from Vanhoover to Canterlot was set to make a stop some time after two, meaning Night would have to wait at least ten or so more minutes before he would be on his way, arriving some time after sunset.

As time passed, the door from the station leading to the platform opened, and out walked a trio of thestral ponies, two mares and one taller stallion. They stopped in the center, the two mares giggling and exchanging a conversation while the stallion rolled his eyes with annoyance. It only took a glance to the left for the stallion's attention to be grasped. Quickly, he began to tap the mare's shoulders.

"Ugh, Stellar, me and Tide are having a conversation here!" Snarled the purple thestral mare, glaring up at the grey stallion.

"It can wait. Look there!" The stallion pointed to Night, his lime-green irises expanded greatly.

Scoffing, the two mares looked in the direction he pointed, before gasping with surprise, one letting out a screech that made Night wince.

"Oh my stars, it's Captain Night Shadow!" The dark blue mare squealed, the purple one beside her following suit.

"What on earth?" Night muttered to himself as the three ponies approached giddily. He looked away, trying to pretend he didn't notice.

"Is it really you?!" The stallion stepped forth, the mares behind him looking directly at Night, trying to hold themselves back.

Night shifted to look at the greyish-purple maned stallion, blinking twice. "Am I really who?"

"Captain Night Shadow of the Lunar Guard!"

Night blinked some more, then gave a single nod. "That is me, why do you ask?"

The stallion caught his breath and grinned big. "You're a hero to our colony, captain. Do you know that?"

The dark grey pegasus shrugged and stared forward. "I wouldn't call myself a hero, or really, a revolutionist. I was just sick of life locked away."

"Still, you freed us from captivity," he stepped closer to Night, holding his hoof out. "I'm Stellar Star, these two are Eventide and Midnight Blade."

Night sat upright and shook the stallion's hoof. "It's a pleasure. Were uh, were you three looking for me?"

"Not originally. We were planning on venturing to Canterlot to find you, though!" Stellar gave an innocent smile.

"Stalkers. Oh? What for, might I ask?"

"To join the Lunar Guard, of course. To be a part of your Zodiacs!"

"Join... the Zodiacs?" Night's eyes widened.

Stellar, as well as the two other mares, Midnight Blade and Eventide, nodded with even bigger grins than before. These were looks Night hated to turn down, but in all reality, he thought, he couldn't say yes.

"Being a Lunar guard is tough work. Being a Zodiac is tougher. The three of you would have to undergo changes during that time in terms of how you get your exercise and weapons training. I really don't know. Besides that, you three have to go to an enlistment office, not come to me and ask to be guards. That's not how it works."

"Oh, right! We were planning to do that. We were just caught off guard when we saw you here," Eventide said, then giggled, putting her hoof to her mouth. "Hehe, off guard, get it?"

"Yes, we get it," Stellar shot the mare a look, who backed off, then returned to Night. "Well, what do you say?"

Night stared up at the stallion, examining him briefly. "I will think about it. It will take a lot for me to accept you into my guard. The Lunar Guard proper? Not so much. Don't get your hopes up, is all I'll say."

Neither of the thestral ponies frowned. They instead remained to be extremely happy. Too happy.

"Great, we'll see you in Canterlot, then!"

"Right, sure," Night nodded, faking a smile. At that, the stallion and the two mares left, walking to another set of seats to wait for the train to arrive. "Finally." Night said to himself.

Eventually, the train pulled up to the station with a screech of the brakes, and the doors opened. Night, as well as the five others on the platform, stood in line and handed their tickets to the conductor as he allowed them on board.

Towards the middle of the train, Night took a seat, resting back into the bench and looking out the window, his faint reflection staring right back at him. Night thought he may as well try and fall asleep once the train started moving, which would be any minute now.

Just then, the two mares from earlier took a seat on the bench across from his own, still with big grins as they observed him. Night's eyes moved over to them, furrowing a brow as they quickly looked away. He shrugged, staring back outside the window, until he felt his own bench shift. Sighing, Night glanced to his side, seeing Stellar Star sitting by his side and jumping with surprise.

"Oh my, I'm sorry. Did I startle you?" Stellar's smile faded, he moved a hoof toward Night and looked at him with concern.

"A little..." Night shifted in his seat to scoot as much against the wall of the car as he could. "There's a whole car of empty seats, you know."

"Well, yeah, but, we wanted to sit and talk to you."

"About what?"

"I don't know, anything. We want to get to know you."

Sitting back in his seat and sighing with frustration, some part of Night realized, this was going to be a long trip.

***

Many long, aggravating hours of travel later, the train came to a halt outside of the Canterlot train depot, and Night was most likely one of the first ponies off within a second window of the doors opening. A grey-and-purple streak zipped past the conductor as the poor stallion raced to escape the ponies following him from Batsburg.

Once away from the station, Night slowed his pace and began trotting down the cobble streets, headed toward the Canterlot Palace. By this time, the day guards in the city were being swapped out by the night guards, many of whom Night knew by rank and name, the perks of being second-in-command of the Zodiacs.

Night made his way up through the main gate of the palace, a greyish-black unicorn dressed in silver armor standing beneath a lamp on the exterior of the entrance examining the approaching pegasus and opening the door. "Good evening, Captain. Enjoy your trip?"

"Likewise, Corporal Valiant," Night nodded once. "It was great. Not a single hitch."

"Good to hear," the unicorn, Valiant Charge, gave a single nod, not once his facial expression shifting away. "Great to have you back."

"Thank you, Corporal. Have a nice night." Night smiled, entering through the door, the unicorn closing it behind him and returning to his position beside the door.

He moved through the castle halls, up the stairs, and finally to the door of his quarters on the far north wing, two stories up. With a sigh of relief to be home, Night opened the door and entered the small apartment-like space, hooves clopping on the cold cobble floor and echoing off of the walls slightly as he stepped up to his bed.

Night crawled up into his Lunar Guard sheets, nestling into his large bed comfortably and relaxing. The safety of his own bed returned to him, and within just a minute, he was out like a light.

Tomorrow, he knew he would return to work. Either more paperwork, or helping out with training new recruits. Whichever way it went, tomorrow was going to be a long day.

***

Showered and dressed in his armor, Night Shadow sauntered through the palace halls, toward the exit leading out into the Royal and Lunar Guard grounds. Both barracks were in separate sectors around the palace to keep conflict from occurring, and despite the time of day, they were typically active around the same times.

As he passed through the Lunar Guard barracks, Night took note of the new class of recruits being broken in by one of the drill instructors, doing exactly his job by trying to break the new ponies and weed out the weak. It wasn't that Night enjoyed that idea, but one less pony holding the guard back was one less pony getting themselves killed—or so they hoped.

Just beyond the barracks and training grounds rested a couple of small towers, one of which held a decent-sized office to occupy an average guard squadron. Although, this particular office was reserved for the Zodiacs.

Weekly meetings took place, which Night hosted much of the time, where the ponies in his squad would turn in reports and other paperwork for the commander or second-in-command to go over. Night took the brunt of the work. The commander was scarce around the palace, likely doing her own thing around Canterlot with the captain of the Goldencloaks—Celestia's version of the Zodiacs.

Trotting up the rounded staircase that circled the outside of the tower, Night entered the meeting room, taking a seat in one of the chairs at the table and patiently waiting for his ponies to arrive.

Minutes passed, and first entered a white-grey pegasus, missing his helmet. The stallion saluted Night briefly, taking a seat at the table. Not a word was said. Some more time later, another white pegasus walked in, also saluting Night, who returned it proudly. Less than a few seconds later, a dark-cyan earth stallion in a slightly different type of armor trotted in, following a similar routine. Last but not least came a silver-coated pegasus behind him.

Once all had been seated, Night sat upright in his chair. "Alright, good morning, Zodiacs. You know the drill. Lodestar, what's the week looking like?"

"Not all too much, cap. New recruits graduate in about a week. After that, I'm not too sure," the slightly stocky stallion replied honestly.

"Good. Zippy, anything new to report?" Night's focus shifted to the red-maned, white pegasus.

"The usual, Captain. Half-drunk guard conscripts roaming the barracks and causing a commotion. Nothing special," Zipline replied.

"Skye, Shield, what about you?"

"Princess has assigned us to her hallway and her observatory balcony. Monthly change, same story."

"Perfect," Night nodded once, relaxing back slightly. "Lodestar, I will look into preparations for the class graduation. Let me know if anything comes up."

"Oh, er, one more thing, Cap," Lodestar spoke up.

"Yes, Sergeant?"

"Three thestral ponies requested at the enlistment office that they meet with you for training. They said it was urgent."

Night's look completely shifted to one of slight frustration just then. "Are you kidding me?! Those ponies—" he froze, relaxing and clearing his throat. "Yes, sergeant. I will meet with them to arrange training."

The four other ponies in the room exchanged looks, a couple furrowing an eyebrow at Night's brief outburst.

"Captain, is everything okay?" Asked the silver pegasus.

"Just fine, Skye. Just fine," Night lied. "Alright, that's it for today. Dismissed."

The group stood up, saluting Night one last time before exiting. Night remained in the room, letting out a deep sigh and resting his forehead on the glass table before him after his ponies shut the door. This really was going to be a long day.

***

Giddily stood three bat ponies in a line beside each other. To their left stood another two, whom didn't appear quite as excited as the three. It was a strange sight, for sure.

With the near-blank expression hiding his slight grievance, Night approached the ponies, while a Lunar guard off to their side shouted, "Attention!" forcing them to click their hooves together. Two of which didn't.

Night stopped before the line, his bright golden eyes scanning over the two more organized thestrals, then over to the far less-organized ones, his slight glare startling the grey stallion. He shifted his focus to the guard, nodding once and signaling for him to leave. Once he was away, Night returned his attention to the group.

"So, you three really did join the Lunar Guard. Good for you." Night stepped closer to the group of three. "Just because we met yesterday does NOT mean I will go any easier on you. In fact, I may just go harder."

He paused, gaze moving to the bluish-grey mare and stallion off to the side, one a far lighter shade than the other, standing at attention. Night approached them. "And just who the heck are you two? I don't recall seeing you in Batsburg yesterday."

"Captain, sir, we're from Hollow Shades, sir!" Answered the stallion, trying to replicate a soldier's tone.

"The both of you?"

"Yes, sir!" Replied the mare at his side. Not once did the two of them move their gazes. Night could already tell they had a sense of paying attention. Then again, they could have already been recruits for all he knew.

"I see. Very well then," Night said, moving back to the middle to look between the five. "And you're all looking to be a part of my guard, yes? The Zodiacs?"

"Yes, sir!" The five answered in unison.

"Do you think you have what it takes?"

"Yes, sir!"

"We'll see about that." Night glared. "Sergeant!"

At his request, the dark-cyan earth pony trotted up to his side. "Captain?"

"Take them to their barrack and get them settled in. Interviews begin tomorrow."

"Aye, Captain," Lodestar replied, facing the ponies. "Alright, on me, recruits!"

At his order, the two from Hollow Shades fell into line behind him, the others sloppily following suit. All Night could do at that point was facehoof, shaking his head slowly as he couldn't bear to watch the monstrosity. Of all of the things that could possibly go wrong with his job, this definitely topped the list.

Once Lodestar brought the thestrals to their respective barrack, Night made his way back to the palace. In his office is where the interviews would take place, and some minor preparations had to be made.

Like any other guard looking to be an elite, personal guard, interviews were required. Information collected by drill instructors were to be given to Night Shadow for examination while he spoke to the ponies personally. If one preference of Night's wasn't met, they were gone. It was a different story for the Zodiac commander's squadron.

Knowing the day would be completely full up tomorrow, Night also decided along the way to work ahead as much as he could to ensure nothing would fall behind. That was later, though. He had an entire day ahead of him.

***

Night dusted his office, disinfecting his desk, filing cabinets, and the window with numerous mango-scented chemical wipes. Shortly after came a slight rearrangement of his in-and-out box, a fairly quick process.

Just before one, Night paused to check over the small room for anything in need of sorting out. When he was absolutely sure nothing else needed to be cleaned or wiped down, he locked the office back up and descended the staircase just down the hallway. His stomach lightly began to growl and rumble, meaning it was time for lunch.

Mess hall food didn't exactly settle with Night. Some ponies would call him a Canterlot noble-in-training for preferring the city's restaurants over what the Guard was served, even though with his pay grade, many of the restaurants remained to be beyond what he could afford, and for the portions served, it was not even worth the money.

Yesterday turned out to be far more stressful and headache-inducing than what he'd expected. Today was working its way there, too. What were those ponies thinking? Night pondered. I won't go easy on them. Not one bit.

A cafeteria less than a block and a half from the castle is where Night predetermined his lunch choice. The place served a large assortment of soups, sandwiches, salads, and doughnuts. Trotting through the door, the pegasus took in a deep whiff of the freshly-baked pastries, almost enough to make his mouth water. Having already decided what he was hungry for, Night stepped up to the counter.

"What can I get for you this fine afternoon, sir?" Asked the rather cheerful mare working the register.

"A mango-and-carrot salad, please," Night gave a warm smile to the mare, setting the bits on the counter to pay for the meal.

"Alright! Anything to drink?"

"A water is fine."

"Perfect, take a seat and I'll be right out with your order," the mare said, putting the money in the register and skipping away.

Night did just as asked, sitting down in a booth beside the window, looking outside at the semi-busy afternoon Canterlot street. In the mix, he spotted a pair of guards walking by on their patrols. One stopped after taking a quick look at the shop, then trotted inside and took an order. When he finished, Night raised a hoof to his muzzle and whistled, catching the guard's attention.

The unicorn walked closer, sitting across the table from Night and removing his helmet, his silver mohawk mane standing up. "I had a hunch you'd be here around this time, Night."

"You guessed correctly," Night grinned at the unicorn. "Patrols going alright?"

"Like clockwork, I guess," the guard stretched his hooves. "How was your vacation?"

"It was good, Sharp. Celebrated dad's birthday, sparred with him, got pranked by my sister who decided to tickle my nose after putting whipped cream in my hoof, yeah, it was great!"

Sharpblade chuckled at that. "Sounds like you had fun. Back to the grind now, eh?"

"You don't even want to know," Night sighed, rubbing his temple.

"Uh oh, what happened?"

"Some bat ponies from my colony followed me to Canterlot hoping they can be Zodiacs. They wouldn't be quiet on the train yesterday and followed me when I changed seats. I couldn't shake them until we reached Canterlot! Thank Luna I managed to get sleep last night, but their voices kept ringing in my head... It was awful!" Night motioned his hooves while he explained.

Sharp nodded in understanding. "So, they're here now. Did they enlist?"

Night slowly eased back into his seat. "Yeah, yeah, they did. Now I'm stuck training 'em."

"Ooooh, that's rough. I'm sorry to hear that. But hey, maybe they'll decide it's too tough for them and quiet."

"Maybe, I don't know. There were a couple of others who were far more disciplined that were there, also bat ponies, although they were from Hollow Shades."

"Then there you go, it isn't a complete bust. If you can get some fellow bat ponies on your team, it'll most certainly help you out in the future."

"Yeah, that's if those goons don't screw us up. One of them is a bit of a jokester. Then again, I suppose Shieldhunter is, too. But, that's not the point."

"Hey, just give 'em a chance, Night. They might change for the better. If not, you have the power to do what you want with them. It's no big deal."

Night let out a deep breath, staring ceiling-ward. "I'll try. No guarantees, but I will try."

The waitress trotted over, carrying a large plate with their drinks and meals, setting them down one by one.

"All right, you two gentleponies enjoy, and have a nice afternoon!"

Author's Note:

All Original Characters used belong to their respective owners. Many thanks to DarkRainbowDash1028, Silver Foxtail, Kestrel, Rescue Sunstreak, SeaBreeze173, Fallout dude 50, Valiant Charge, Skyfire Storm, and PonyJosiah13, as well as a few others for submitting their OCs for roles in this story. Also, I'd like to give a huge shoutout to all of them. :twilightsmile:

Another thing to note as well, I may be posting longer-than-usual chapters for the beginning of the story, but soon enough they should be back to the 2,000-3,000 word range. There's simply a lot to cover in these chapters, which explains how long they are.