• Published 20th Nov 2011
  • 4,275 Views, 54 Comments

Forgotten past, brighter future. - Steelhooves



No memory of who is he is or where he is leaves this person very confused.

  • ...
5
 54
 4,275

5





Chapter 5: Friction

************************






You ever hear that saying "Memory is the key" well if thats the case then this is the key you can throw away forever, my mind was a mess, I could remember so much...but focus on so little, from what I could gleam from my own memories of my life was...well it wasn't something I could be proud of, I had memories of fighting in battles around the world, assasinations, even acts of terrorism...but thats the life I lived, a gun for hire, a soldier of fortune...a mercenary. Why couldn't I remember anything else though, it was like I could only remember the past four years...and what the hell did that thing say my name was? Spike? Bull shit, no ones named Spike...

I sat outside the Apple families home after the dream, I didn't know the time but it was early, the sun hadn't even begun to rise, but I didn't care I couldn't go back and face another nightmare, so I sat there in front of the house and although I could feel a bitter chill beginning to run through my body, I didn't go into the orchard to retrieve my jacket from where it hung on the branch from yesterday. I just sat there...attempting to make sense of my own memories, but every damn time one was about to come into focus, it slipped away, I couldn't understand why though, it was like my mind was trying to forget what it had just had returned but, still the most unnerving thing in this entire situation was still the fact that my memories were so screwed I didn't even remember my name.

I didn't even notice anything else until a large red figure opened the door to the house and stepped outside, he had yet to notice me leaning against the cart, I thought for a moment before speaking,
"Morning Mac." his head swung toward me, his eyes not even opening fully nor his voice changing in the slightest "Morning." if he was surprised I was awake this early he kept it well, he began to lumber over towards me
"Ya commin' in fer breakfast?" he asked me, I shook my head in response before saying "Not hungry." one of his eyes seemed to close slightly more than usual giving him a dissaproving appearance, though he promptly dropped it and returned to his usual, bored expression.

"We're not headin' ta town fer a while, ya should come inside." I stopped leaning against the cart and walked towards him, not saying anything as he lead me back into the house.

About an hour and a half later, the sun had risen and Applejack was preparing to head into town, I helped by ensuring that the apple baskets were all properly tied down, before walking up to the front of it and helping Big Mac harness himself to the cart, soon after this we were off, Applejack double checking we had everything and Big Mac pulling the cart alone with ease.

It wasn't long before we reached that cobblestone path that lead into town, this is when I realised something, Applejack stopped when she noticed I was no longer at her side "Problem?" she asked, I shrugged
"I dunno, how do you think the rest of town will react to me?"
She thought for a moment "Well all the ponies in these parts are real friendly, so long as your hospitable, so you should be just fine." She said smiling at me.
"OK then." I said feeling surprisingly reassured.

A few moments later we entered into what appeared to be the market district of the town, as we set up I noticed something exceptionally odd "Hey AJ this is a town right?"
"It sure is sugar." She said not even batting a glance in my direction, focusing her efforts on unloading the cart.
"OK then...so where are the other people?" I said scanning the surrounding buildings.
Applejack slowly looked around, before turning back to me a concerned look in her eye "I don't know..."






**************************

Cantelot Castle, Throne Room

Princess Celestia had immediatly sent for her three most accoplished Royal guards, and although they were all within the cities perimeter, it still took almost an hour for them to arrive at the throne room, Celestia didn't know what Luna was planning and she was curious as to why she had requested her guards, especially when Luna had requested her own personal guards and commander to attend, but she could not coax any answers out of her sister, when the third and final of the Celestia's guards assembled the doors sealed and the guardsmen stood rigidly to attention in front of the two princesses.

Luna then stood up from her throne and walked across to where the three Royal guards stood, inspecting each in turn before going back to her throne and speaking "You three have been hoof picked for this assignment by Celestia, for your loyalty." she turned to face her commander, who was clad in the standard dark purple armour of Luna's personal guard, giving no apparent indication of rank "Commander Night Gale here will brief you." The commander turned to the six Royal guards, his cat like eyes contracting as he inspected them, one of the Royal guards even flinched when he noticed the commanders gaze settle upon him.

"Strip." The guards all looked at there commanding officer , before quickly pulling off their gold plated armour and once the final piece of armour was off so was the enchantment to alter the coats, the commander walked up to each of the now coloured group before him "This mission requires stealth and subtly, we are going to be performing a reconnaissance mission in town Ponyville," all the guards shuffled uneasily, their body language clear, If something is in Ponyville then they're with striking distance of Canterlot. The commander took notice "the subject we will be watching is not yet considered hostile." the guards let out a collective sigh, obviously relieved.

The commander walked over to his three chosen guards, who had also removed their dark armour, "Form up, all of you." and a moment later the six soldiers were standing side by side, all impressive in their own right.
"You will be watching a creature which has not been seen in Equestria or any other nation for the past eight hundred years..."

*********************

Ponyville, early morning


I asked Applejack for directions on where Rarity's house was located, she said it was only a five minute trot toward the center of town saying her shops name was Carousel Boutique and also told me to be careful, apparently the town is only this quiet when they were hiding, she also told me this happened when another of their friends first came to the town, a zebra named Zecora but said that it would be OK once situation was explained to the town.

I was almost at the center of the town when something fluttered to the ground in front of me, I bent down to examine it A letter? Why would a letter just fall fro- I couldn't hold on to that thought as something slammed heavily into my back forcing me to the ground, I rolled away from what ever struck me getting into a low crouch and on instinct began drawing my combat knife, but quickly pressed it back into its sheath when I realised what had hit into me.

There sprawled out in front of me was a very, very confused looking grey pegasus, her blond mane dangling over her eyes which were looking very dazed and seemed to be wandering, I got up and walked over to her "Are you OK?"
She got to her hooves and stared at me her eyes focusing momentarily before contracting in fear.
"I'm so sorry! P-please don't hurt m-me!" She squeked out as she cowered at my feet, I bent down to her.
"Calm down I won't hurt you, I promise." She glanced up to me her eyes going cross eyed again, unfortunatly the fear still obvious in her eyes, sighing I handed her the letter "I assume this belongs to you, good bye." I turned away from her and continued walking toward the center of the town.

My mind was slowly processing what had just happened, why did they fear me so much? I mean I probably look intimidating but I haven't done anything have I? I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I didn't even notice a small group of stallion approaching me until I was less that ten feet away from them. I stopped and waited, they approached me yet they did nothing just stood there blocking me, but similar to the gray pegasus I could see the fear in them and the shaking in their legs and after what seemed like hours but couldn't have been more than minutes a sapphire blue coloured earth pony with a red mane spoke up "We're not a afraid of you you know so don't try anything!"

Credit to this pony he didn't stutter during his speech nor did he shake like his comrades, I raised my hands in a gesture of peace "I don't understand why you would be a afraid of me and I'm not going to try anything."
The blue pony relaxed considerably "Good keep it that way." he then turned and walked away, his friends hot on his tail.
I scratched the back of my head What the hell is going on here? I thought to myself, but I ignored it for now and continued towards Rarity's shop, if I looked less intimidating everyone might not feel so thretened by my presence and she might be able to explain why everyone in towen seemed so...panicked.

After a few minutes of wandering the still empty town I found the shop in question, a large building with a very stylish exterior compared to the surround buildings, I walked up to the door and noticed an Open sign facing out of the glass on the door, I gently pushed the door in and heard a bell ring above my head quickly followed by the words "One moment please." from across the room. I entered the room and noticed there were many dresses and mannequins in this room , I was examining a group of six dresses that were on display in a window when I heard the tell tale clip clop of hooves walking behind me, I turned around.

As expected there in front of me was the pristine white pony I had seen earlier, though she had bags under her eyes which made he look as though she hadn't rested much lately, as she trotted into the room she said "Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique." she then opened her eyes and froze as she spotted me.
"Ah, hello Rarity." I said shifting awkwardly, at first I was afraid she was scared of me too, but I then realised her eyes weren't focused on me so much as my clothes...she looked horrified.





***************************

Canterlot Castle, Throne room

"...I expect you to be prepped and ready by 08:00 tomorrow,your all dismissed." Said the commander.
"Sir, Yes Sir!" the six soldiers responded.

The six soldiers donned their armour and left the throne room, quickly dividing into their own groups and heading towards seperate barracks, all of them appeared at relative ease except for one of Celestia's chosen royal guards who was tense and afraid, the other two quickly noticed this but it wasn't until they reached the barracks that one of them spoke "Hey Dusk, you OK?" Dusk was a pegasus pony, under his gold armours enchantments he really had a very dark orange with a coat with a dark mane, he inclined his head towards his comrade "I'm fine I just don't like this mission..."

"Well its not the worse we've had now is it? I mean recon always been a trot in the park for us!" his friend laughed smacking him on his spaulders, he shrugged him off
"No one has ever gotten this close before feather brain, excluding gods and goddesses, even the creatures of Everfree wouldn't dare challenge our borders, yet this creature just freely wandered in? I don't buy it." he continued walking breaking off from the group and heading towards his bunk.
"Man whats his issue?" said Thunderhooves another pegasus, to the remaining pony in the group, a unicorn named Azure Haze who then then smacked him in the back of his helmet almost knocking over Thunderhooves "Scratch that, what the hay is your problem?!" he said regaining his balance.

Azure pulled him closer, almost whispering to him "His family lives in Ponyville you foal."
"Oh..." he glanced at Dusk, who had already gotten into his bunk and was clearly feigning sleeping, Thunder turned back towards Azure "soooo wanna go patrol the gardens?" Azure face-hoofed before turning and walking away, the only thing flowing through his thoughs Can anypony really be this stupid?...



****************************