• Published 20th Jun 2015
  • 1,092 Views, 49 Comments

A Year of Derpy - Sleepy Panda



Once a month, there's this mare that comes to the park. She's absolutely beautiful, and I can't help but to watch her.

  • ...
1
 49
 1,092

January

Author's Note:

I've never worked with these genres before, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The first time I saw her, she was sitting on the park bench at night.

She was sitting by herself, wrapped in a yellow scarf for warmth, using the faint light from the lamppost to read her book. She had one of her gorgeous wings lifted to shield the book from the snow, which was softly falling from the sky and coating her silky, blonde mane with sparkling ice crystals, shining like the brightest stars in the sky.

Her name was Derpy Hooves, and from the moment I saw her, I knew that she was the love of my life.

On that night, I stood there for hours, simply drinking in the sight of her. Her back was turned to me, but the one time she briefly glanced up and looked over her shoulder to check the time on the large clock tower, I caught a glimpse of her face and nearly fainted from her beauty. Her golden eyes shone as the moonlight glinted off of them, and they were full of kindness and love. I could have spent hours lost in those eyes, but she turned back around to resume her reading and I had to settle for watching her from this unsatisfactory angle.

Not that she was unsatisfactory from this angle, of course - everything about her was lovely. I just wish that I could see her expression as she immersed herself in the book. I'd read the book myself, so I knew it was a good one. It was a romantic story about a royal guard having being deployed to a far-off land, and his fillyfriend enlisting in the guard as well just so that she could join him. I cried when the mare watched as the love of her life was shot down in front of her. No, I'm not overly emotional - the book really tugged at the heartstrings.

Derpy Hooves twitched a lot. It was a very curious thing. Every so often, her adorable little ears would twitch, or maybe one of her hooves. She seemed to have trouble staying still. Was something troubling her? It certainly wasn't the book. Sure, the book was amazing, but it was the type of book that drew you in and made you feel relaxed and cozy, not twitchy with excitement. It was the type of book that brought a wide grin to your face, making you yearn for love. It made you laugh and cry with the characters.

But it was not the type of book that made you twitch.

There was probably no reason to be worried. Everyone is stressed out at some point or another, and perhaps Derpy was just going through a tough phase in her life. Maybe she was just a twitchy pony. Who knows? Certainly not I. Having known of her existence for less than a few hours, it was perfectly okay that I didn't know much about this gray mare.

Besides, she was cute when she twitched.