• Published 21st May 2012
  • 15,840 Views, 971 Comments

March to the Scaffold - Foxy Kimchi



A story inspired by Hector Berlioz's song Symphonie Fantastique, 4th movement.

  • ...
65
 971
 15,840

Epilogue: A Conversation

Twilight Sparkle walked through the streets of Canterlot on a warm, sunny day, her saddlebags jostling slightly with each step. She was visiting for the weekend to catch up with her parents along with her brother, Shining Armor, and his wife, Princess Cadence.

It’s good to be back in my hometown, Twilight thought to herself as she roamed the streets of Canterlot. Her thoughts were interrupted as her stomach gave a loud growl.

“Oh my,” she said to herself, her cheeks blushing while she looked around. “That was embarrassing. Guess stopping for a snack would not be a bad idea.”

Twilight trotted down the street, looking at the various shops. Her eyes stopped at a little bakery called “Bread & Butter Bakery”.

You know, I have seen this place a couple of times when I was a filly, but I’ve never stopped here. I always went to Donut Joe’s. Twilight thought. It looks nice, I should give a try.

Smiling, she took a left and walked towards the small bakery. She stood out on the patio, looking around at the few tables positioned outside. As she was about to walk towards the door, it quickly opened as an elderly mare stepped outside.

“Oh my! Miss Twilight Sparkle, you honor us with your presence!” the mare exclaimed as she bowed down. “What brings you to our restaurant?”

“Please,” Twilight replied as she blushed. “There is no need for such actions. Please, you do not need to bow in front of me.”

“Oh, sorry,” the elderly mare replied, blushing herself. “I am just thankful for you saving Equestria again. We all still remember the Changeling Invasion and your heroic acts.”

Twilight’s blush grew at the comment. “Really, it was Shining Armor and Princess Cadence that stopped them.”

“But you were the one who saw through the Changeling Queen’s disguise! If it were not for you, who knows what would have happened?”

“Well, thank you for your appreciation, Miss...”

“Oh my, where are my manners? I am Mrs. Rye Bread,” the mare replied as she gave a small bow. “What brings you to our cozy little restaurant, Miss Sparkle?”

“Twilight is fine, really,” Twilight said with a smile. “I was just walking around Canterlot and got a little hungry.”

Mrs. Bread’s ears perked. Quickly, she moved to a nearby table, pulling out a chair and motioning to Twilight with a hoof. “Please, Twilight, have a seat. I know our li’l restaurant may not look like much, but my husband and I pride ourselves in making the best food possible.”

“Why thank you,” Twilight replied as she took a seat.

“What would you like, Twilight?” Mrs. Bread asked.

“Well, I was looking for a snack. Do you by any chance have some scones? If so, I would like a couple with some butter and jelly,” Twilight replied.

“Of course we do! Now, don’t you worry. Our waitress, Silver Skip, will be out with them in just a moment,” Mrs. Bread said as she walked backwards toward the door. “Do you need anything else right now? Is everything okay?”

“Everything is fine, thank you. There is no need to rush; I have plenty of time,” Twilight replied with a gentle smile.


Silver Skip was seated inside the bakery, a newspaper in her hooves as she waited for the bakery to close. Her tail flicked idly as her eyes skimmed the pages.

The bell above the door jingled as Mrs. Bread came rushing in. “Oh sweet Celestia, we have another customer!” Rye Bread exclaimed as she jumped around slightly.

Silver’s ear flicked in annoyance. Again, she thought. Why do ponies come right when we close?

“Now, dear, we sometimes get customers near closing time. Why are you so excited?” Sourdough Bread replied from behind the counter.

“Honey, it is Twilight Sparkle that is waiting outside!” Rye Bread said.

Silver’s hooves tensed around the newspaper while her jaw tightened. Her heart started to pound within her chest.

“T-Twilight Sparkle? The personal student of Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle?” Sourdough gasped as his jaw dropped.

“The very one!” Rye exclaimed as she fidgeted her hooves. “Oh dear, oh dear. Honey, we will probably not make our reservation later tonight.”

“You’re right, we need to make sure everything is perfect. We have to stay as long as she wants. Quick, what does she want?” Sourdough exclaimed as he quickly donned his apron.

“She wants scones, do we have any fresh ones?”

“Scones?” Sourdough cried out. “I don’t have any fresh ones. Oh no, oh no, oh no. It is going to take way too long to make new ones! What do we do?”

Silver closed her eyes as she exhaled. Quietly, she folded the newspaper and placed it down on the table next to her. Gracefully, she got up on all fours, and walked towards Rye Bread.

“Relax,” Silver quietly said in a soft, soothing voice as she placed a hoof on Rye’s shoulder. “Everything will be fine. Just breathe and stay calm.”

“But we are out of fresh scones—” Rye interrupted.

“Then we will give her the ones we have,” Silver replied calmly.

“But we made them this morning, they are too old!” Rye cried out.

“That has not stopped us from selling them later in the day. Relax, have confidence in your cooking ability. Everything will be okay,” Silver said calmly as she patted Rye’s shoulder.

Rye Bread gave a large sigh. “Thank you, Silver, I needed that. Still, we should stay to make sure everything is okay.”

“There is no need; I will take care of it. Now before you react, don’t worry; I will be fine.” Silver replied with a gentle smile.

Rye quickly turned around, her body tense. “Oh, but we could never do such a thing.”

“My wife is right. It would be wrong of us to go while leaving you with all the work,” Sourdough added.

“Nonsense,” Silver replied as she raised her hoof to her chest. “You two have plans tonight. So go, enjoy yourselves. Remember, that's why you hired me.”

“But—” Rye blurted out.

“It’s fine. I have nothing big later tonight. I’m already planning on waiting for Mortar after work anyways.”

“Are you sure, Silver?” Sourdough asked with a worried face.

“Of course I am. Now go out and enjoy yourselves. I know you two were planning on having dinner later. It would be a shame if that went to waste. Do not worry, I’ll lock up when done,” Silver replied, her smile still there.

“Well if you put it that way, then okay. We trust you, Silver,” Sourdough replied with a tired smile.

“You two have nothing to worry about.” Silver said.

“Well here,” Sourdough replied as he bent down behind the counter. “We should probably give Twilight all the scones we have left since she will most likely be the last customer today.”

“That sounds like an excellent idea,” Silver replied.

Sourdough appeared again from the counter as he placed a plate with a small pile of scones on it.

“Oh, Silver, thank you so much,” Rye said as she walked near the backdoor.

“Bless your heart. You have been so kind to us,” Sourdough replied as he walked towards his wife.

“Oh, you two,” Silver replied as she placed her hoof over her muzzle, giving a slight blush on her face.

“Well, thank you, Silver. My wife and I really appreciate it,” Sourdough replied.

“Yes, thank you, Silver. It means a lot to us. We will see you tomorrow, right?” Rye asked.

“Of course,” Silver answered with a smile.

Silver waved her hoof until the backdoor of the bakery closed. Once she knew she was alone, she flicked her mane and turned around towards the counter. Carefully, she placed the plate of scones, butter and jelly, and two cups of coffee on a tray. With practiced grace, she balanced the tray on her back as she made her way towards the door.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Silver whispered as a large toothy grin grew on her face. “You saw through my facade once; I wonder if you can do it again.”


Twilight hummed to herself as she read the book in front of her. She did not mind waiting for her food as it was a beautiful day. Such a day called for reading outside.

Twilight’s ears flicked forward as she heard a soft ‘clink’ in front of her. She closed her book and gently placed it back in her bags next to her. She gave a small gasp as she saw the large plate of scones in front of her.

“My goodness, I didn’t order this much food.” Twilight said as she stared at the food.

“Do not worry, Miss Sparkle,” Silver answered with her eyes closed, a soft smile on her face. “These were all we had left. It would be shame to let them go to waste. There is no better option than to give them to somepony deserving of them.”

Twilight squirmed slightly and blushed. She looked up and saw a smiling mare with her eyes closed. The mare had a long, silver white mane with a tan coat. The most surprising thing about her so far was how thin and lithe she looked. At first glance, it almost looked as if she was malnourished when compared to other ponies. However, the way this mare stood and carried herself gave her a graceful, regal look.

“Hello there,” Twilight said with a cheery smile. “You must be the Silver Skip that Mrs. Bread mentioned.”

“Why yes,” Silver replied as she slowly opened her eyes, her smile unchanging. “Yes, I am.”

Twilight gasped quietly as her chest constricted. The fur on the back of her neck stood. She began to hyperventilate, trembling slightly as she looked upon Silver’s face, Silver’s dark, rich emerald green eyes boring straight into her.

“C-Chry—”

“My, my,” Silver quickly interrupted. “Saw right through me again? Seems I can’t fool you, Miss Sparkle.”

The tightness in Twilight’s chest was soon replaced with a burning rage as images of her brother’s wedding flashed before her. She remembered when Chrysalis had revealed herself to her, how she had been locked beneath Canterlot with Princess Cadence, and how she had watched her beloved mentor fall before her.

Twilight quickly jumped up, pointing an accusing hoof towards Silver. “Chr—!”

“I would be extremely careful of what you are going to say, Twilight Sparkle,” Silver harshly interrupted as she glared at Twilight. “Just think about what you are going to do. Even after Chrysalis has been dealt with, you are going to accuse someone out of the blue of being Queen of the Changelings. You do not want a repeat of what happened at the wedding now, do you?”

Twilight bit her lip as her jaw tightened, glaring daggers at the Silver.

“Come, Twilight, have a seat. I am sure that you and I can have a civil conversation,” Silver continued as she sat down with a smirk. “Even if you are technically correct yet again.”

Twilight slowly sat down, her eyes never leaving Silver. “I don’t know how you escaped, but you won’t get away with this. The moment I leave I am going to inform Princess Celestia and my brother and—“

Silver burst out laughing, putting a hoof over her mouth to try and stifle it. “Oh, Twilight, you flatter me so,” she said after a while. “To think I escaped from the clutches of Celestia and Luna.”

Twilight shook her head. “Wait, what are you talking about?” she asked, dumbfounded.

“Oh, you do not have to worry about me. Here, have some scones and coffee,” Silver replied as she took a sip of her coffee.

Twilight looked down at the food. “As if I would trust you,” Twilight sneered.

“That is a shame, really; Mr. and Mrs. Bread’s food is quite delicious. Oh well, more for me.” Silver answered as she reached for a scone. She spread some butter and jelly and took a bite. Silver closed her eyes let out a slight moan as she chewed on it. After a couple of seconds, she opened an eye and looked at Twilight. “You need not worry, Miss Sparkle. Celestia and Luna have me leashed nice and tight.”

"I don't understand. What you’re talking about?" Twilight said as she shook her head in confusion. "You mean Princess Celestia and Princess Luna know about this?"

"Oh my." Silver giggled slightly into her hoof. "I guess Celestia really did not tell you."

Twilight's face hardened as she glared at Silver.

Silver removed her hoof from her face as she sensed the tension from Twilight. "To be fair, Miss Sparkle, Celestia does not want anyone to know about li’l ol’ me. As shown by you, I do not think the public would take very kindly to me and would cause mass hysteria. The less ponies know about me, the better it is for all of Equestria."

"How can I believe all of this and that you aren't actually trying to trick me?" Twilight asked, raising an eyebrow, her eyes not leaving Silver.

"Tell me, Miss Sparkle, I am sure that you heard about that day I was captured," Silver answered as she nibbled on a scone.

"Yes, I did. Everyone heard about how the changelings were defeated once and for all," Twilight said.

"And then what?"

"The palace then issued a statement that you were put on trial, and that everything was taken care of," Twilight said.

"Let me ask this: did you hear anything about what actually happened to me afterward?"

Twilight scrunched her face in thought. "No, I didn't," she finally said as she looked up.

Silver sighed as she looked at Twilight, her face emotionless. "Well, here I am, Miss Sparkle."

"But I don't understand!" Twilight quickly added. "Why would Princess Celestia and Princess Luna just let a changeling out on the streets? Why would they let a threat roam where they’re ponies around? How would they let you go unpunished? I don't—"

"Twilight," Silver interrupted. "I never said you were looking at an illusion or disguise. What you see is what actually exists."

Twilight’s jaw slightly dropped, her eyes widening. "How is that possible?"

Silver’s expression did not change. "You don’t have to worry. I was punished.”

“What?” Twilight asked, confused, her eyebrows raising.

“Twilight, I'm no longer a changeling. I have no powers whatsoever. What you see is what I am now. I am nothing more than a simple earth pony. This soft body is now my body. These hooves are now my hooves. Even this cutie mark is my actual cutie mark."

“But how that possible?”

“Simple, she stripped away my changeling powers as if it were nothing more than a suit of armor, and this is what was left behind. A weak, soft pony body,” Silver replied as she looked down at her own forehooves. “Nothing but a weak, vulnerable pony.”

Twilight’s jaw tightened, her violet eyes staring at Silver.

Silver looked back, her eyebrow raising. “It seems that you are conflicted, Miss Sparkle. I have a pretty good guess at what it is.”

“And what is that?” Twilight replied, her body tense.

Silver gave a slight smile as she rested her head on a hoof. “On one hoof, you love and adore your mentor, your princess, Celestia. You worship her. You trust her with all your being. However, on the other hoof, you are still upset and what I did. You are having trouble on what you think you should follow, your feelings or Celestia.”

Twilight glared at her, her jaw tight. After a couple of seconds of silence between the two ponies, Twilight let out a large sigh. “I trust Princess Celestia and Luna’s judgement. I should not dwell on negative feelings such as that.”

Silver let a small chuckle as she flicked her mane.

“But,” Twilight quickly added, “I want an apology from you.”

“Hmm?” Silver said as she picked up her cup of coffee. “An apology for...?”

“For the invasion, for what you did to Canterlot, and for what you did to my brother and my family,” Twilight said flatly.

Silver took a sip of her coffee then gently placed the cup down on the table. She looked up at Twilight, her face stern. “No.”

“What?” Twilight gasped.

“I will not apologize for what I did,” Silver said, her expression unchanging.

“Why not?”

“Because, in order for me to be sorry about something, I have to regret what I did. I do not regret my actions.” Silver replied after she took a sip from her beverage.

“What?” Twilight gasped as her eyes widen. “How could you not be sorry for the terrible things you did?”

Silver slammed her cup down, hard enough that it shattered in her hooves. “Watch your tongue, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight jumped as Silver’s mug broke.

“Do not talk down to me like that, Twilight Sparkle. I did terrible things? Oh, Twilight, you are so naive. I could have done much, much worse things. For instance, it would have been so much smarter of me if I simply killed Cadence. Remove loose ends, so to speak. I could have slit her throat and thrown her off the mountain. I could have killed you when you begged at my hooves for forgiveness.”

Twilight started to turn pale as she listened to Silver.

“But I didn't. I simply hid both of you, unharmed, underneath the city. I invaded Equestria because I was starving, Twilight, not because I wanted to hurt something. Do you know what it feels like to be so hungry that your own body eats you from the inside? That you're so hungry that it’s painful. Twilight, I was so hungry that I thought I should just end it all, just save myself the pain by taking my own life. Hunger, it’s unbearable, Twilight. I was starving since I was born.

"But you—you’ve never experienced that, Twilight. You never had to worry about your next meal. But I—I had to worry about my next meal and a thousand others. So what do you think I thought when I saw a nation as wealthy and powerful as yours? One where love poured out of it like a waterfall. I was attracted like a moth to a flame. I found paradise.

“I have made mistakes. At first, I wanted to take only a little love. But when I tasted your brother's love, how wonderfully pure it was, I lost control. I lost control just like any other being who was starving to death, only to find an endless buffet in front of them. I wanted more, I wanted to gorge myself. I wanted it all.

"So unless you felt what I felt, don't you dare talk down to me, Twilight Sparkle. I know now what I did to your brother was wrong. I know now that having a loved one stolen away from you like that is painful. But that does not mean I regret what I did. If you want to despise me, go ahead. But don't you dare judge me unless you’ve experienced what I’ve had to deal with., because quite frankly, I doubt you will ever experience the hardships I have faced." Silver said as she panted, her mane slightly messy.

Twilight sat there, her head and her body tense. What do I do? Twilight thought. I never thought Chrysalis had suffered so much. I can’t imagine what I would do if I were in her position. I mean, I almost destroyed Ponyville over a assignment, but to be that hungry that you contemplate suicide? To be in constant pain like that? Part of me can sympathize with her.

But I can’t forget what she did to my brother and sister-in-law, I can’t forget what she did to me. What do I do? I am supposed to embody friendship and its power. But what happens when I simply cannot be friends with somepony, when I don’t want to be friends with them.

"I didn't know that,” she finally said.

"Celestia did, and that is probably why I am still alive today." Silver replied softly.

"But!" Twilight quickly interrupted as she snapped her head back up. "How do I know that you are not planning some terrible revenge on us? I mean, Celestia took all your powers away. On top of that, all the changelings are gone now!"

"Heh," Silver replied softly with a chuckle. "I thought the same thing once. But now, Twilight, I am just too tired. I don't want to fight anymore; it is just too much for me now. As I said earlier, my power and hate were like a suit of armor. At first you feel invincible, but as the years drag on, it only gets heavier and heavier. It hindered me, it trapped me. Now, I don't think I can bear that weight again; it is just too much. I spent my entire life fighting, and now I just want to rest."

"But your changelings..." Twilight added.

Silver stopped and lifted her head, looking into the blue sky. “I am not going blame someone else for that. I ordered them to fight back when Equestria sent forces. I ordered them to have a last stand with me. I was offered surrender, but I refused.

“Now that I look back on it, I don’t know what to think. They no longer have to follow me. Maybe that is a good thing. I don’t really know now. They never could question me. I felt bad for them. But what I do know is that the fight I started, I could never win. Celestia was always ahead of me. Even when I thought I had beaten her, she was simply toying with me.”

“What?” Twilight asked astonished.

Silver looked back down at Twilight, a sly grin on her face. “Your princesses hide many things. Maybe you should ask them. Regardless, I could never win. Even if I had surrendered, what would happen to my changelings? They could never be themselves, nor do I think they could undergo the same thing I went. Would they just be locked in a cell for the rest of their lives, or on display like some animal, or studied like a lab rat? If that happened to me, at least I know what would be going on. But they wouldn't be able to understand that; they would be in constant confusion and fear.

“Maybe it’s best that they can rest now. No longer would they have to follow a terrible leader such as I.”

A moment of silence hung between the two mares. “And like that, you gave up your past life?” Twilight finally said. In the past few minutes, her view of her and the changelings was instantly shattered, replaced with a darker reality. One that she could not imagine. A story of struggle and survival, not evil and malice.

“Yes,” Silver said as she again looked up into the sky. “It was hard at first, but then I found something better. Something worth more than all the power in the world.”

“And what is that?” Twilight asked.

“Silver!” A voice called out from behind Silver.

Silver looked back at Twilight, a soft smile on her face. “I am sure that one day you will find it for yourself, Twilight Sparkle. It is more fun to experience it.” Silver replied as she got up.

Twilight watched as Silver got up and turned around. Suddenly, Silver was wrapped in a hug from a grey stallion with a brown mane.

“Mortar!” Silver said as she pushed away from the stallion. “You know I don’t like doing this in public.”

“In public?” Mortar replied confused.

“Why yes,” Silver said as she took a step to the side. “I was having a lovely conversation with Miss Twilight Sparkle.”

Mortar turned his head, looking at Twilight. Suddenly, his eyes widened as he awkwardly bowed in front of her. “Miss Sparkle!”

“Now, now, she doesn't like flattery, Mortar,” Silver said as she lifted Mortar up. “Plus, you avoid doing such things; I don’t want to inflame anything.”

Mortar grunted as he stood back on all fours. “If you say so.”

“Well, let me lock up, and then we can go, Mortar,” Silver replied as she picked up the food and drinks from the table. She turned around and walked back towards the bakery.

Mortar watched Silver walk back into the shop. After a few seconds, he quickly turned his head back at Twilight.

“Um, hello there, Miss Sparkle,” Mortar said as he shifted awkwardly on his hooves.

Twilight looked up, forcing a small smile.

Mortar’s ears flopped down as he noticed Twilight’s discomfort. “I am going to guess you know who she really is.”

Twilight looked up in surprise. “What? You know who she is too?”

“Aye, she told me not long after we met,” he said with a smile as he looked down at his chest.

Twilight followed Mortar’s gaze. Her eyes widened as she saw a massive scar running down his chest and under his belly.

“My goodness,” Twilight cried out. “What happened to you?”

“Oh, this?” Mortar said with a chuckle. “You could say I fell for the Queen of the Changelings.”

“What?” Twilight asked.

Mortar opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted as Silver reappeared next to him. She gently placed down a white container.

“Here you go, Twilight; this is the leftover food. You can eat it or throw it away. With this, I bid you farewell, Miss Sparkle; it was an interesting conversation. If you wish to talk again, well, you know where I am. If not, then that is fine; I don’t care either way. Come, Mortar, let us go home,” Silver said as she gently nudged Mortar.

“Goodbye, Twilight Sparkle.” Mortar said with a smile as he turned around.

Twilight watched as the two ponies turned around and walked away. Just before the couple turned a corner, Twilight saw Silver and Mortar lean on one another, a smile on each of their faces. Her gaze then looked down on the container in front of her. She stared at it for a minute, her brows scrunched together. Finally, she put on her saddlebags on her back. Using her magic, she lifted the container of leftovers into her saddlebag and walked away.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to editors Zeta040, Ponysopher, and Letedwend

Image is by ArthurPearson. Please, if you want more pics, go thank him on his page or is DA page here. Like him, thank him, or whatever if you want more pictures. It takes people time to do this for a story.