• Published 21st May 2012
  • 15,841 Views, 971 Comments

March to the Scaffold - Foxy Kimchi



A story inspired by Hector Berlioz's song Symphonie Fantastique, 4th movement.

  • ...
65
 971
 15,841

Author's Notes (Chapter 1-16)

Chapter 1: March to the Scaffold.
March to the Scaffold the 4th movement of the musical piece Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz is one of my favorite Romantic era pieces of music. I just loved the sound of it and the really prominent brass section. I also think it is hilarious that this piece is considered one of the first famous pieces of music inspired by drugs. However if you read the program notes, it was not a pleasant trip. March to the Scaffold is where he views himself getting executed. Guess that is what opium does to you.

With that said, the first chapter tries to follow the flow and pattern of the music. That is why it sort of jumps from happy to sad moments in the story. I tried visualize the music.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, MrMinimii, Reasonandrhyme, benxlabs, and Spabble for helping me edit and proofread.


Chapter 2: Judgement and Defiance
Like the first chapter, I tried to copy the music. The reason why I picked Beethoven's 5th, movement 1, is because the piece is so passionate and emotional. There are parts of the piece that is sad and soft then changes to powerful, angry moments. Considering what Beethoven went through, I can see why he put it in. He hated a lot of things during the time he composed it, he hated his father and he hated the world for his hearing loss. Even with that, he still composed one of the greatest masterpieces of all time.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, MrMinimii, Reasonandrhyme, benxlabs, and Spabble for helping me edit and proofread.


Chapter 3: Dream of a Witches' Sabbath
This time I based it off of the 5th movement from Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz. Like the first chapter I tried to follow the flow of the music. This chapter was supposed to be more creepy and "darker". Hector Berlioz was probably on opium at this point. The program notes are in the link above.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, MrMinimii, Reasonandrhyme, benxlabs, and Spabble for helping me edit and proofread.


Chapter 4: Chapter 4 is different than chapters 1-3. First I never thought I would actually be continuing the story at this point. Because of this I never had any music to inspire me. But I wanted to continue the pattern of having a piece of music associted with it. Since this chapter has scene changes and a variety of emotions, I picked Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (orchestral version). That and it is a good way to spread good music. We have all heard this piece sometime in our life as A LOT of cartoons used this. Like Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, Reasonandrhyme, and Spabble.

Chapter 5: I wanted to add this small chapter for a very specific reason. As we know by now, (in case you do not know please do not read this for spoilers) Chrysalis was changed into a pony against her will. Now I asked myself, "How did Celestia and Luna do that?". The obvious answer is "magic". But to me that is not sufficient enough. I believe that magic in Equestria is governed by some set of laws, just like the laws of physics. There are limitations to what they can do what it. To change a completely different and unique creature into a pony permanently seems unreasonable or extremely difficult to perform. So to explain my thought processes let me give you an analogy,

Say there are two compounds, A and B, which are COMPLETELY different from one another. Now to convert A into B would be impossible or extremely difficult to do in the lab. A lot of energy and steps would be needed if it were possible. Now let us say that instead B is a derivative of A. Changing compound A into B is much, much easier and can easily be done in the lab.

So what that being said, the only reason why Celestia was so able to change Chrysalis into a pony is because the changelings are a derivative of ponies. The first changeling was original a pony who transformed by magic. If magic was able to change a pony into a changeling, then the reveres of that should also be possible.

To me this makes thing more consistent. That is why Discord is a statue and not a pony.

As for the music for this chapter I used Camille Saint-Saens Dance Macabre for the darker undertone.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, Reasonandrhyme, and Spabble.

And special thanks to Ponysopher for making this chapter sound older and more poetic.

Chapter 6

The Baroque era! Baroque music is characterized by its complex melodies and heavy use of ornamentation. I tired to mimic that in the story with the complex emotions and actions. For this chapter I used Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite No.1 as the music piece. This is the longest chapter I have ever wrote and man was it hard. Takes a lot out of you.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, and Spabble.

Chapter 7

So after a long stretch of time I got the chapter done. I was busy with work. But here is chapter 7. This time the music is Chopin's Waltz Op.64 No.2. It is a very nice piano piano piece. Enjoy!

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, and Spabble.

Chapter 8
Ah this brings back memories of when I was younger. When I first thought of using music to inspire this story, I instantly remembered this scene from Cowboy Bebop. Now I am not an anime fan, but Cowboy Bebop is a great show regardless. The scene that was in my head was from the episode Ballad of the Fallen Angels where Spike (not the dragon) falls out the window and the song Greenbird plays. It was just so well done that I had to try and mimic the feeling from it. So that is what I tired to do. Here is the clip from the episode.


Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, and Spabble.

Chapter 9

For the demon that always hides in the shadow, waiting to strike. I think I finally figured out how I want the story to end. For the music piece I used Franz Schubert's Erlkönig (Alder king). I felt it was fitting. Hopefully I will be able to finish this as I get into school.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, and Spabble.
Art by AssasinMonkey on DA: http://assasinmonkey.deviantart.com/art/Changeling-Behemoths-321921574

Chapter 10
Yes I am aware how long the delay is. I have been busy. Hopefully I can work on it more now that I have taken care of some things. For the music I chose Beethoven, Symphony 7, Allegretto, mvt 2, a nice somber piece.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, and Spabble.

Chapter 11
The Song of Shylex, written by The Descendant is the story that makes me view Celestia they way I do. I view her as a powerful being, who's power is unmatched. I am aware of the season 2 finale. However I purposely think she was holding back. Celestia is a hands off kind of teacher, she rather let her subjects solve their own problems to show them what they are capable of. So she held back, confident that her ponies could do it themselves. In addition, I think if Celestia fought at full strength, Canterlot would be destroyed. If she fought at full strength, ponies would be so horrified at her that they would treat her as some vengeful god. Thus they would fear her even more.

Celestia to me wants to be viewed as a mother more than anything, someone that is available for comfort, love, and wisdom. She wants to be viewed like this, even if she looks weak.

For this chapter I picked Mozart, Requiem in D minor.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, and Spabble.

Chapter 12:

Ah finally, getting a chapter done feels great. Already 12 chapters at this point, wow. I never thought I would get this far but thanks to everyone reading it. For this chapter I picked the music piece Pachelbel's Cannon in D. Celestia is trying to soothe Chrysalis, so I thought some relaxing music would be fitting. After all, after what she has been through she needs a break. And Mortar too. I cannot believe the ride is almost over.

Thanks to Letedwend, Ponysopher, Spabble, and surprise help by AnonymousMaterials!

Chapter 13

I am going to slightly different here. See when I first wrote this story, I had planned that Mortar would die. But after writing and creating him, I too grew attached to him. I did not want him to have sad ending, and the same thing with Chrysalis. They suffered so much and just wanted them to get something good in life. Funny isn't it. But then I was thinking on what am I going to do now with the story. That is luckily when I got an update for Mort Takes a Holiday by AnonymousMaterials that I knew I had an idea. So I asked him if I could use Mort and he agreed to help me! I hope you enjoy this chapter, as it took much longer for me to do. That is it is way longer than most of my chapters.

Mort and Forma belong to AnonymousMaterials. Mort is from the amazing story Mort Takes a Holiday. If you have not read it, then please go read such a great story regardless.

Special thanks to my editors
Spabble
Ponysopher
Letedwend

And a special thanks to AnonymousMaterials for not only letting me use his fantastic characters, but also helping me edit this chapter, and the one before this.

Chapter 14
A bonus chapter made from deleted scenes from chapter 13.

Chapter 15
Wow, I can't believe I made it this far. 15 chapters. Chrysalis, now Silver Skip, has come a long way. I think there will just be one more chapter for this story. Thank you guys for everything.

Special thanks to my editors
Spabble
Ponysopher
Letedwend

Chapter 16
Alas, the curtains come to a close as the story comes to the end. Chrysalis has gone through a lot, some bad and some good, but she is stronger because of it. There will be no music for the last chapter, as it has come to the end.

Thank you all for reading and liking my story. It means a lot to me to know that there are people out there who enjoyed it. It has been a ton of work, but I am glad that I finished it.

A few people have asked me about a possible sequel to this story. I will admit that I am conflicted on this issue. One reason I don't want to do is I don't know how many people are interested in a sequel. I have 850 favs but only 540 likes. So there is a large sum of people who appear to still be on the fence about this story. I know some did not agree on how I portrayed Chrysalis in this setting. Another reason why I don't want to do it is because the story will be fluffy compared to this. I mean Chrysalis has accepted her new life, and does not want to upthrone anyone. So the story will mainly be just Mortar and Chrysalis just living a normal life. Next, I don't know if my editors, who have helped me so much, would want to work on something else. Lastly, there are other ideas that I want to try out.

On the other hand, I also want to make a sequel. There are things that I can still do. One of the things I wanted to write is a possible meeting of Silver with Shinning Armor and Princess Cadence/ or Twilight Sparkle. This can be a nice conflict to have, and a good spot to put interesting drama and dialogue. A stand off between the now Silver Skip and Shinning Armor/Twilight Sparkle. How will the act?

I just don't know how many people are interested. I am afraid that if I do write one, not many people will read it. But if there are a lot of people out there who want a sequel, then I feel like I should give it to them

Tell me what you guys think, and Ill see what I can do.

Again, thank you guys for reading and liking this story.

Special thanks to my editors
Spabble
Ponysopher
Letedwend

And a huge thanks to Ardial who graciously drew the picture for this story. Please go to his DA page and view his other work!