• Published 18th Jun 2015
  • 833 Views, 9 Comments

The Carpet - RaritySimper44



Blackthorn Helps Rarity pick up her home.

  • ...
11
 9
 833

Chapter 1

Rarity stood there staring at the deer. “I think I’m in love.”

Twilight smiled at Blackthorn. “Thank you so much for helping us fix Ponyville Blackthorn!”

“I’m glad to help all of you Twilight. You did after all, save the entire forest, I would rather avoid the thought of the route things would have taken if not for you and all your friends.” He replied with a genuine smile.

“I don't like to think about it either Blackthorn. Luckily we don't have to anymore. It’s all over and taken care of.”

“Indeed.” He replied. They watched as a giant root slammed down a gorgeous boutique with a loud thud that almost made him cringe. He heard a sigh and looked over to see none other than Rarity, staring at it irritated.

“I bet my glitter fell over. That's never going to come out of the carpet.”

He cleared his throat hoping his embarrassment didn’t show. “My apologies Rarity. I'll come by and help with the clean up once we're finished here.”

Rarity flashed a sultry smile at him, fluttering her eyelashes as she moved closer, passing his comfort zone. “Why Blackthorn, that is so sweet! You just come on by any ol' time!

Spike rolled his eyes. “I don't like him.”

Twilight giggled.

Blackthorn took a step back uncomfortably at this, regretting what he had just said. He looked around the forest hoping there was more to be done. Unfortunately, there was no more to do. He sighed.

“Follow me then Blackthorn darling! There’s probably lots to do around the boutique!”

He followed her trying to hide his regret as to not be rude. He didn’t need to go faster than a casual walk, his legs were so much longer than hers that a few steps from him kept her only a few trots ahead.

They came to her home and she unlocked the door, they walked inside, Rarity gasped. “Oh my, this is a bit worse than I thought...” she said and bit her lip nervously.

Furniture was knocked over, any glass objects she had set up were now destroyed.

“I’m a little scared to see the rest of the place if this is the living room,” Rarity whined.

“I’m sorry Rarity, I should have had more control over the root while managing your home.”

“Yes, yes you should have. But there’s no use getting all fussy over an accident I suppose.” She replied.

“I’d think you’d be more upset by this Rarity. Everything in your home is either broke or damaged in some shape or form.”

“Oh well if I didn’t have a spell to fix this mess, I’d be absolutely livid at the moment. And I am quite annoyed, regardless. Especially since it could have been avoided, had you simply controlled that root properly! But, lucky for you I am easily able to fix all of this with a mere spell. Most of it a least.” She used her magic to pick up the pieces of any glass, or pottery and put them together again and set them back down on the ground separate from the mess. “Blackthorn darling, be a dear and pick the furniture up and set it all on their feet. Unless its broken of course.”

He nodded and targeted the nearest thing to him; the table. He was about to pick it up but Rarity ran over. “Wait! Let me put a spell on your antlers to keep my furniture safe.” She took his helmet off, and received a dirty look from him, she ignored it as she brought her horn to his antlers and used a spell. A thin magic barrier went over them and disappeared a second later. “This is going to keep you from harming my furniture while you work.” She then put his helmet on the hat stand, the only thing really standing at the moment, then turned and trotted off into the other room to continue.

Blackthorn began lifting the table onto all fours. He picked everything else up too, soon the entire boutique looked better.

Rarity wiped sweat from her brow. “Well, this place certainly looks cleaner, thank you so much Blackthorn!”

“It was my pleasure.”

She smiled.

“How are your carpets?”

They have glitter all over them. “I don’t know a spell to remedy that unfortunately. I’m sure Twilight can find one for me though. My gems are destroyed too. I’ll need to get more tomorrow I suppose.”

“I can fix them.”

“However, will you do that darling?”

“Magic water, I have a little bit left but it—”

“Lovely! Come and follow me!”

They both walked out of her home and far away from her boutique, closer to the Everfree forest. Blackthorn set the pieces on the ground and poured the water on them, Blackthorn concentrated as best he could, and they began to glow, Rarity’s face lit up with excitement. “Oh darling you –” Then exploded – “destroyed my precious gems!”

“Forgive me Rarity, I–”

“Oh, my goodness I never should have let you do this!” Her enraged face softened after a moment. “Forgive me for being angry Blackthorn, I’m just a little stressed out after all that’s happened today.”

“Rarity, there are many sapphires in the forest, I can get some for you.”

Rarity sighed. “That is sweet of you Blackthorn, but unless you can have them here by the end of the day–“

He walked into the forest and dug up something, grabbed it in his mouth and dropped them in from of her.

“Sapphires!”

“I told you there are–”

Rarity hugged him again. “Oh, thank you darling!”

“Rarity, we talked about this.”

“Oh, what do you have against a little hug?” She asked annoyed

“I’m not a hugger, now I’d appreciate it if you’d let me go.”

She rolled her eyes as she released him. “You’re no fun, you know that Blackthorn?”

“I’m a warrior, I’m not supposed to be fun.”

“Would you at least like to have some tea with me?”

“I’m sorry but I must be–” he groaned as he realized he forgot his helmet.

Rarity smiled. “Tea darling?”

“Fine.” He replied bluntly and they walked back to the boutique.

“Now be a dear and sit down on the couch while I make the tea.” She then walked into the kitchen.

The door opened and a little filly walked in. “Rarity, I–” She stopped when she noticed him sitting there. There was an awkward silence as they stared at each other for a while.

Rarity appeared from the kitchen. “Sweetie Belle, darling, could you– Oh, I see you’ve met Blackthorn.” She walked to her sister’s side. “Blackthorn, this is my darling sister, Sweetie Belle.”

“Hello Sweetie Belle.”

She smiled at him. “Hi, Blackthorn! Where are you from? Are you a warrior? Have you killed any beasts? And how come you look so bored? Fluttershy has a bunch of dumb, smelly old deer in pens that she lets ponies adopt, and they don’t act anything like you, why’re you so weird?

Blackthorn was at a loss for words as the questions continued on. The last one was insulting. “Well–”

“Sweetie Belle! That is very rude, whoever told you that last part is rude and insensitive to others feelings by the way. You shouldn't listen to them if that's what they’re telling you, darling.”

“But Rarity, you're the one who t–”

Rarity covered her mouth with her hoof, giving a nervous giggle. “Now now, my dear, sweet sister, no need to get into details, am I right?”

Sweetie Belle gave her a fierce glare.

Rarity turned to Blackthorn and gave him an apologetic smile. “I am so, so sorry about my sister, Blackthorn. She can be a little... blunt at times.”

Blackthorn cleared his throat. “It’s alright. To answer your questions, I am from the Everfree forest as you may have heard, and a warrior. I have yet to kill anyone in my life, nor have any of the rest of my people. As for the stupid, smelly old deer, in pens and being adopted, I cannot speak for the deer outside of the forest, but I’ve yet to meet a deer that acts in such a way.

“Oh, indeed, Blackthorn, you come from a fine and graceful race!”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes at this. Rarity seemed to notice the rude gesture. “Excuse us, Blackthorn. My sister and I need to go and have a little talk.” She glared down at her sister, who returned the glare. She then dragged her out of the room.


Rarity finally let Sweetie Belle go once they were upstairs. Closing the door ever-so-gently, she glared the fires of Hell at her sister. “What is wrong with you, Sweetie Belle?! Do you know how rude you were down there?!”

“Well do you know how much of a hypocrite you are right now?! You’re the one who said all that, so you’ve got some nerve saying I’m the rude one!”

Rarity sighed. “Look, Sweetie, darling, this sta– buck means a lot to me. He is handsome, well-mannered, and just graceful enough for my tastes.”

Sweetie rolled her eyes. “Good to know you’d choose a stranger over your own sister.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Oh, it sounds so harsh when you put it that way. Why not go play with your friends or something, you’re getting in my way, no offense.”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes. “Fine.” She then marched downstairs.

Rarity sighed in relief. “I’ll make it up to her later, right now, I have some unfinished business to attend to.” She smiled as she strutted downstairs in a sultry fashion.

She walked in front of the doorway of the living room and smiled at Blackthorn, who sat on the couch. “I'll be back with the tea in a minute, darling; just stay right there.”

Blackthorn sighed. “I should be going now, Rarity. I only came to help clean your home up after all.”

Rarity frowned. “Oh, but it’s only tea, darling. Can't you stay for just a little longer? You deserve it after all you’ve done for me today.”

Blackthorn shrugged. I suppose a little longer won’t hurt, but only a little bit.

Rarity smiled. “Wonderful! I'll get the tea right now.” She pranced into the kitchen to get a large saucer which held two tea cups and a tea pot. She pranced back to the living room, placing the saucer in front of Blackthorn. and planted herself right next to him so that her face was less than a mere inch from his.

He in turn moved himself back a bit. but he couldn't scoot himself any further away, as he was right next to the arm of the couch.

She had a goofy smile on her face as she stared at him, this resulted in her pouring the tea on herself. She screamed in pain, steam flew into the air from the boiling tea, which she poured into her lap. She scrambled away from Blackthorn and onto her hooves. wiping herself down with her hooves in a desperate attempt to rid herself of the pain.

Blackthorn stood to his hooves. “Are you alright, Rarity?”

She turned to him with a glare. “What do you th– um, I mean” –she forced a painful smile– “Y-yes, I'm fine, Blackthorn. Thank you for the concern. I just need to go and wipe myself off…” She then galloped out of the room and up the stairs. She flopped onto her bed and screamed into a pillow in frustration until she felt better. She sighed as she flipped her mane to the other side of her head, then took a towel and wiped herself down. “I need to pay more attention. I made myself look like a complete fool.” She breathed slow for five minutes, calming her nerves. “Okay, time to go apologize and try that again.”

She walked back into the living room, looking serious. “Blackthorn, I just want to apologize for how I acted before. I acted foolish and rude.” She gave a small hopeful smile. “But I hope that you are still willing to stay for some tea and talk to me a little longer.”

Blackthorn frowned. “Rarity, I feel there is something I need to tell you.”

A smile hopeful came to her face as she moved closer so that her face was inches from his. “Yes of course darling, go right ahead!”

“Well, it’s come to my attention that you have developed feelings for me, I just want to say that it is never going to work.”

Rarities hopeful face faded as she stared at him hurt and looked away. “Oh, I—I understand….”

“No, you don’t, let me finish Rarity.”

“There isn’t any need Blackthorn, I understand that you don’t feel the same, I—I think you should go now….” She turned to leave but Blackthorn stepped in front of her staring her down.

“Let me finish please.”

She stood there patiently waiting.

“Thank you, now you see, my people, we are just mere animals, it’s the magic of the forest that makes us, how to put this lightly… think passed our primal instinct, I suppose.”

“Okay…. So, what does this have to do with anything?” Rarity asked confused.

“When a deer leaves the forest and its magic, and stays away…. after a time, the magic where’s off, and…

“You…become a regular…deer?”

He nodded.

“So…. Those deer Fluttershy had….”

“Yes, they are deer that have left the forest and have reverted back to their primal instincts. This happens to all deer. Including me if I don’t return after a time.”

Rarity stared at him a minute before speaking. “How long does it take to revert back?”

“I don’t know, no one does, there’s never been a deer that’s returned after it’s happened.”

“So… that’s why king Aspen –”

“Yes, that is why he decided to expand the forest over Equestria. Do you understand why we will never work?”

Rarity nodded downhearted. “I do.”

He cleared his throat and walked towards the door, grabbing his helmet and put it on his head. “This is the last time we’ll see each other.”

“Well, can I get one last hug then?”

He sighed. “Rarity…” he looked at her and she gave him her most pitiful look she could muster.

He rolled his eyes. “Fine, one hug Rarity.”

She smiled as she walked over, Blackthorn lifted a leg to let her in and she wrapped her hooves around his neck and pulled him into a kiss, catching him off guard completely. The kiss lasted a few seconds before she pulled away. “Consider that our goodbye.”

He looked away blushing so hard his face was completely red. “You shouldn’t have done that.” He then opened the door and left, closing it behind him.

Author's Note:

Hey thanks for reading, please tell me how I can improve this story. It will be much appreciated and all critique will be taken to heart. Also HUGE thanks to Alicornpreist. He edited this story and without him this story wouldn't even be up here. This story has been edited! Again. The ending is completely different, explains some stuff and is just a little better, and I got complaints about it being too long. so I made it a little shorter. If you aren't happy now then this story isn't for you.

Here is a link to comic #27 https://youtu.be/0ftasf46KDc
and here is #28 https://youtu.be/MGjR9iEymNEJust in case you want to read them.

Comments ( 9 )

Nice pic! Yours? Gonna read later!

6196833 No its not mine. I found it on the internet. Hope you like it.

6196837 indeed.

Well I promise to give it a look!

Not much of a Rarity fan but this was very well written. I felt she was very in character. Well done.

I LOVE it!!! Note, though, that there are, like, one or two grammar mistakes that a lot of haters are gonna point out in angry reviews (I am not a hater :raritywink:).....

6198856 Okay thanks for the heads up. And I'm glad you liked it so much.:twilightsmile:

6198599 Thank you. I tried my best to keep her in character. Though my editor helped a lot with that too. I'm glad you liked it.:twilightsmile:

If you really want random readers' opinions, this story would be easier to read, if it was twice shorter.

This was easier to read then your other stories, but it was too long for its own good. If it was condensed it would be much better.

Login or register to comment