• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 491 Views, 3 Comments

Turning Gears - Shadow rift



Two scientists making their way into the world

  • ...
9
 3
 491

Chapter 1 part 2: it's eyesight is based on movement

Most ponies would think twice when it came to entering the Everfree Forest. It was scary, unwelcoming, and housed creatures more terrifying than anything in nightmare or reality.

But when it came to something given by the grace of a research grant, you need to put off your fear so that you can avoid the loss of your passion.

And this was more true for Astra and Neodymium.

Neodymium continued to run towards the Everfree and Astra flew full speed. He was fast as far as Pegasi went, but the more time they waste, the possibility of a predator tearing it apart became even larger.

And this forest seemingly stretched on for miles...

Without much more thought, Neodymium ran into the forest, frantically searching every part of the forest for something resembling an electrical generator. The task at hoof was something not a whole lot of other ponies, or for that matter stallions, would've done easily or bravely, and had it not been for his magical abilities and tool bands, the job at hoof might've scared him much more.

He continued looking through every bush and under every rock around him before a thought entered his head. What happens if something else finds it before either of them? What happens if it's beyond repair?

He shook his head. There was no use in thinking like that, and if experience has taught him anything it's not to call for the devil if he doesn't want to play.

He quickly turned behind himself after he heard what sounded like a large scream.

And then later, something that sounded like a roar.

Galloping as fast as he could towards the source, Neodymium began to wonder what could cause him to even think about doing this. On the one hoof, he wasn't very strong to try to fight something or some pony for that matter, but on the other hoof, he was sorta brave as far as stallions went. Just please don't be a large animal!

His theory was proven correct as he noticed a large Desert Hawking staring down at a blue pony with a pink mane. Why a Desert Hawking? WHY!!!!

As it roared, he quickly began searching through his wrist belts for anything he could've used in terms of either distraction or a weapon, only to find a flare and a small cutting knife. Better to get this thing out of here than to attempt to kill it, he thought as he enveloped the flare in his aura and quickly activated it, the cracking sound quickly gaining the Desert Hawking's attention from the mare.

With his aura surrounding the flare, Neodymium used his aura to guide the flare to the right, the Desert Hawking's gaze following it intently. That's right, he thought as he guided it to the left, once again guiding the creature's gaze. Nice and.... He thought as he tossed it to the right, the creature letting out a grunt and then quickly moving towards the flare.

"Go now!" He whispered to the mare and eventually both began moving at a fast speed, eventually making their way away from the Hawking before-. "Stop!" Neodymium whispered again, holding the mare against himself and placing a hoof over her mouth as the Hawking reappeared next to them.

Very carefully the Desert Hawking looked at them, studying them both and sniffing either of them. Go away, just go away, Neodymium thought as he began to feel the mare's heart quickly pick up in pace and her mane caring the smell of some type of luxurious soap. It was intoxicating and welcoming, but he was afraid that it might cause the creature to think twice about them.

As if on cue, the Hawking let out a single grunt in defeat and went back into the forest slowly.

Making sure it had actually left, Neodymium let go of the mare's muzzle and body, allowing her to get up and look at her savior. When he caught sight of her however, his nervous system quickly went into over drive.

The mare in front of him had looked like she had taken care of her body for a long time. All the way from her silky smooth pink mane to her perfect little necklace, everything about this mare was perfect. "Umm, excuse me sir?" The mare said, her accent similar to a European accent, perhaps southern.

"Oh! Uh yes! What was it again?" Neodymium said, a blush starting to form on his cheeks, "I was asking how you managed to help me like that" the mare said with a giggle.

"I-I-It was r-really quite simple. A Desert Hawking's v-v-vision is b-b-b-based on movement" Neodymium slapped himself to regain his composure, damning his shyness near cute mares, the mare simply giggling at his sign of nervous energy.

Regaining control over himself, he looked back at the mare, his blush increasing in shade. "Um, as I was saying, the Desert Hawking's eyesight is based on movement. As long as we held still we were practically, uh, invisible"

"I see. Did you need to hold me like that?" She said as she narrowed her eyes, a seductive gaze in her eyes, intensifying the heat in Neodymium's cheeks.

"Relax... You seem to have quite the amount of stress on your shoulders. Why were you out here?"

"I was out here after an item flew off out here. Although I'm willing to bet my friend already found it. What're you out here for?"

"Oh! Yes, you see, my sister and I had run out of a moisturizer, and the main ingredient to our famous moisturizer is the aloe roots I was collecting out here" she said, pointing at the bag full of aloe plant, "Unfortunately, the only place these plants grow is in the Everfree. That creature attacked me right as I was about to leave" a smile crossed her lips, and her seductive look returned along with it, "until you came."

Once again, Neodymium's cheeks flared with the heat of Celestia's sun. This mare was beautiful and highly seductive, and the fact that she was teasing signified two things. Either she liked him, or she was just that, a tease. "I'd like to repay you sometime for what you did." She said, her nose touching his own, making the fire on his face practically begin to melt him.

Time for an experiment.

"How about tonight. Dinner at 5:00?" The mare was taken back for a moment at Neodymium's request, but she quickly regained her own composure just as easily. "I suppose I can make time. I'd be glad to. By the way, you never told me your name"

"My name is Neodymium Bolt, but friends call me Neo. What did you say yours was again?"

Another giggle came from the mare, "My name is Lotus and it's very nice to meet you." She said, holding her hoof up to Neodymium, to which he took it in his own and kissed it, the smell of flowers entering his nose as he laid a kiss on her soft and silky hoof, making the mare giggle once again. "Well, I must be on my way, my sister will begin to wonder where I have gone if I'm not back soon. You can pick me up at the Ponyville Spa, it isn't too far. Goodbye Neo." She said, planting a small kiss on his cheek and completely destroying any form of balance Neo had left.

He came in here to retrieve a Generator, and instead of finding said object, he met a beautiful mare, saved her from a Desert Hawking, and wound up asking her out on a date. All in the same day.

Where did he get the bravery to do that?

After a while, Neodymium decided it would be best to head back to the Science Facility and complete whatever tests him and Astra had left. Knowing him, Astra would want a full report as to where he was.

He smiled as he thought of what he would say. I just got a date with a beautiful mare named lotus.

Author's Note:

This is an image of what a Desert Hawking would look like.