• Published 21st May 2012
  • 1,127 Views, 35 Comments

Cursed Eclipse - Across Equestria - AImostpure



The third story of the Cursed Eclipse Saga.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,127

Lost History

Model for me, please.

Eclipse had heard the words or those similar before from some passing mare or stallion in the clubs Vinyl frequented. In those places, Vinyl or somepony who knew her would step in to put a stop to the bad pickup line. A lack of sincerity in their words made it simple for Eclipse to forget the empty compliments. Something was different regarding the red mare blocking their path. Though she did not speak loudly, there was strength in her words. Piercing spheres of teal burned with oceans of confidence and grace. Their focus seemed to be solely on the gray alicorn, ignoring Eclipse's companion's entirely. An air of nervousness felt staggering to Eclipse's mind bringing her to slink back under the unwavering watch of this stranger. She took in the sight of the one before her from her colorful mane to her twin rose cutie mark.

It would be Spiral who would break the stalemate. Eclipse turned her head to watch the pony step forward. A swagger in her step, the amber pony grinned flashing a celebrity smile. Spiral offered a hoof forward, bowing her head in just the slightest manner that she could let her eyes become upturned and stare at the red mare through her chestnut locks. “My my, pretty mare, I'm afraid my schedule is all booked up to model for somepony. But if you give me your name I'm sure in a few days I can be right back here for a nice and private session.” Tail swished lately conveying the enjoyment she had just from seeing such an attractive pony come before her. “Very private if you like.”

“You are not who I am speaking to.” No hesitation in her words. “If I sought a pony who believed that belching should be a national pass time, thinks chugging cider until one passes out in their own filth and excrement is a good night, then I will think to contact you.” Viper's venom dripped from each word. Confident eyes ,now cruel, turning to the side glancing over Spiral's larger form. “I ask that you do not think yourself in such high regard that somepony would simply approach you on the street for such a task. It would save you humiliation later.” It was then this unknown brought herself back to gaze at Eclipse.

Spiral could not speak. Anything that uttered past her throat was just stuttering of gibberish. She shook her head, thoughts rattling around until coherency could be spoken. “Now just wait a damn minute!” Such an insult would not stand, especially from somepony who hadn't even introduced herself. When Spiral sped forward wanting to be directly in front of the red mare, she found an invisible barrier in front of her. Any attempts of butting her head or smashing her hooves against the magic only bounced her back. It was then she caught the glow of Trixie's horn.

It was not like the showmare to let somepony else take center stage. A seemingly random stranger approached, asked one of the four ponies to model, and to Trixie it seemed that there should not be any doubt as to whom they chose. This rose oriented mare was not some street trash Trixie would toss aside readily. She was too taken care of to be that sort. “A stranger approaches, and you presume it to be you because of your inflated ego? Trixie dare says that she simply noticed Trixie's beauty and rushed to meet us. This mare understands true grace and showmareship by first look, and thus she stopped the Great and Powerful Trixie to properly pay tribute!”

“Not you either.” Blunt words came across with the same chilled intensity she had spoken to Spiral.

“You turn away Trixie? Who do you think you are to turn away Trixie!” Indignantly, Trixie stomped her front hooves up and down at the insult of being brushed aside. None of the ponies even knew what the modeling was, but it sting the same.

The pegasus of the entourage knew better than to believe it could have possibly been her. Observing was part of her special talent. In order to emulate a pony's actions, Color Copy had to watch and learn. She was doing just that with the red mare now. The tingle of jealousy, though not as intense as it might have been with Spiral, bore into her mind realizing that the pony she had asked, was the only one who had yet to speak other than herself, Eclipse. Copy felt her mouth become a desert when the unknown mare reached for Eclipse's hoof, drawing it close to place a gentle kiss.

“You, miss, I ask of you to do this. Please, come back to my boutique and hear me out. This is all that I ask. If you require some sort of compensation I am certain there is something in my boutique I can give as a gift. Please, all I ask if a moment of your time.” Optimistic for the outcome, the pony remained steady in wait for the reply. Eclipse's hoof would not be released by the unicorn, wanting instead to let her hoof slid up along the gray limb to get a quick feel of the fur.

Eclipse had not spoken yet. Spiral came first and was shot down with an insult. Trixie came next, but was cut off and ignored. If there was any saving grace, it as that Copy had not done anything but remain back and to the left of Eclipse. She was careful in removing her hoof from the mare's hooves. Head hung forward staring at the cold concrete then raised giving a dissatisfied frown. “I am so..sorry but I can..canno...cannot accept your off...offer. You insu..insulted and were ru..rude to my friends.”

Stricken with the realization of her error, the mare stepped back glancing at the three ponies with Eclipse. It had seemed that in her rush to catch up to them, she did not consider these other ponies to be with her. The error on her part may have cost her greatly. Pride came in many shades. To some ponies admitting when one was wrong would never suffice, but the mare was not one of them. “Indeed. It was wrong of me to render insults and judgment so quickly, and not to give a proper reply when one should have done so. Please,” she bowed her head forward in an act or remorse, “The offer still stands for you to hear my proposal, but I also ask that you give me the opportunity to make it up to each of you for my ill-tempered behavior. I shall have cakes and tea delivered to us at my boutique and we can discuss in a better atmosphere.”

“Since you proposed to make it up to Trixie with a proper tribute, Trixie finds it only right to take you up on the offer.” Trixie haughty laughed placing a hoof to her lips. Feeding her sense of pride or reducing yourself to a status lower than her was an assured way to change Trixie's mood.

“I'll go wherever Eclipse goes.” Color Copy chipped in taking the few paces to come side by side with the smaller, gray mare.

It was down to Spiral. Out of the three ponies she was the only one who did not take a gaze into the boutique. Furthermore, the anxiety of regaining her pride for the insult or taking the mare down a peg for kissing Eclipse's hoof, the fluttery feeling of having Eclipse turn her down for her quick insulting tongue, or thoughts of what Eclipse maybe modeling sent her reeling. An overload of information finally snapped her brain. “Fine! We'll go!” Snorting, Spiral took the lead stomping her way moving back down the street for the boutique.

“Then it is settled. Dearest me,” A moment taken to garner her nerves, the red mare brushed her silken mane back, then offered her hoof towards anypony who would take it. “I am Prim Rose. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

At once, Copy and Eclipse both took the same hoof of Prim Rose. They shook it vigorously together offering her a welcoming smile. “My na..name is Eclip..Eclipse. This is my frie..friend Color Copy.” A motion was made with Eclipse's bat wing, which raised Prim's brows at its sight. “This is the Great and Pow...powerful Trixie.” And Eclipse's pegasus wing raised pointing behind her, “And that is Spi..Spiral Flame.”

A collage of pony colors and personalities. Prim Rose was taken back to her pageant days by the uniqueness of each of the mares now in her presence. It was Eclipse who still garnered her attention. She saw her in perfect light once her eyes were no longer fixated on only her face, but could take in the depth of her unusual appearance. Most of it was brand new, but something about Eclipse was troubling. It came to her as she set her eyes to the broken horn and her mismatched wings.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dusk came across the land of Equestria. As forewarned, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch were to arrive in the audience chambers before the moon rose. Pegasus guards came, moments before the sun's final crescent fell behind the mountain range, guiding them to the necessary destination. Even within the confines of the castle they were under protection. It was no small task to prepare for an audience with the princess, but they would be in the presence of both on the eve of urgent matters. Getting Vinyl to understand the gravity of such a meeting, and preparation for it, was no small task.

An hour after Fancy Pants departed after lunch with Octavia, Vinyl finally awoke. Octavia remained steadfast denying Vinyl the pain killers she so begged to have. Even knowing that the doctor who prescribed them was no doctor did little to persuade her. In a final plea, Octavia dumped the contents of the medicine bottle into the toilet flushing the light green ovals to oblivion. A fussy Vinyl was not a cooperative Vinyl. Octavia knew how to persuade and manipulate her marefriend to calm her. The prospect of bathing together, with a few hours until they needed to depart, left the DJ bouncing back and forth clapping her fore hooves together.

The pegasus guards stationed outside the guest tower had wished they could have watched from the sounds they heard echoing within. Once cleansed of dirt and grime, and both appearing exhausted and flushed, Octavia left Vinyl to her own devices, retreating into the bedroom, giving only two orders; Vinyl must select a proper dress, and wear the small frame glasses purchased for dinner parties. Stifling Vinyl too far would only create chaos opposite of what Octavia wanted.

Octavia spent extensive time on her hair ensuring the long, black tresses stayed straight with the only curls being at her bangs. A long black evening gown, a lit from the left hind ankle up to her thigh, was selected. It was strapless held firm around the chest. No tail was made for her tail rather it remained beneath her dress. Octavia went to the luggage brought with them pulling out a small, black velvet covered box. Her hooves were careful snapping it open. The contents was a gift from Vinyl on their third anniversary. A crimson red bow tie, the same color as Vinyl's eyes, made from the finest silks. Center piece to the item was a gemstone carved in the shape of a treble clef, violet in color to mirror Octavia's cutie mark. Memories of the evening she had been given such a splendor touched a smile to the cellist's lips. “Vinyl dear, would you help me for a moment?”

Scrambling hooves were to be expected. Vinyl was rarely punctual. She was the kind of pony who was ready right at the moment to leave and not a moment sooner. Out of breath, she had mustered all her strength to get her own dress on. The pain still throbbing at the back of her skull made it difficult to perform the simplest of telekinesis. Old fashioned was the only way she had gotten her dress on. Vinyl came from the bathroom feeling mischievous and perky. She slid behind her marefriend, sliding her forelegs around Octavia's waist, leaning her head to her neck giving tiny nibbles. “Always here to help my Octy.”

Smirking, Octavia hoofed the special bow tie to Vinyl. With teeth holding one end of the strap, and hoof holding the other, the DJ brought it around Octavia's neck connecting the small hooks in the back together. Vinyl gave a gentle tug to ensure that it was secure. Octavia slid her hooves up feeling the soft fabric against her fur. This particular item always made her feel beautiful to wear. Turning to face her marefriend, a pleasant surprise awaited her. Vinyl had chosen well for the engagement this evening. The white unicorn wore a black gown similar to Octavia's, except it had straps over the mare's shoulders. Silver rimmed glasses set on the bridge of Vinyl's nose. Lenses just large enough to keep her crimson eyes hidden, but were small enough for a sophisticated feel.

“Are you sure we're supposed to be so formal? When I woke up you told me it's to learn about Nightlight.” Words came across with a hint of whine. Dressing up had never been a thing she enjoyed, so some protest from Vinyl was to be expected.

“Of course. Despite the pretense, we will still be in the company of the Princesses. Appearing proper is a matter of courtesy and respect.” After her reply, the knock at the door came for them to depart.

Now, Octavia and Vinyl found themselves before the foreboding entrance to the chambers. The doors were far larger than one might need for regular ponies. It would take a being two stories tall to bump their heads at the top. As with the rest of the castle and walls, the door was an egg shell white, trimmed with gold and midnight blue metals. The two guards escorting them handed care over to the guards on either side of the door. They were unicorns, their magic used to ease the massive structure open. Octavia and Vinyl felt the intimidation ponies must have felt as they waited for their turn at an audience with the ruling sisters. A feeling of self doubt and heaviness in ones' belly was met with a lump forming in the throat. Octavia felt it but a glance to Vinyl made her wonder, if behind her indigo lenses, she did as well.

Light steps took them to the interior of the chamber. The majestic hall stood wide and open. It was the first time either had the chance to step foot on the hallowed grounds. Six ponies and one small, purple dragon awaited standing in front of the stairs leading up to two empty thrones. Octavia and Vinyl knew five of the ponies along with the small scaled creature, but one they had only seen in passing. Vinyl did take notice to one thing, none of them wore attire like the mares did. No, Vinyl and Octavia were the only ponies present wearing evening wear. Heat appeared on Octavia's cheeks as Vinyl smirked towards her, whispering low enough for only her marefriend to hear, “We should wear clothes befitting meeting the Princesses, huh?”

Octavia scoffed shaking her head thrice. “Hush you.” She playfully warned stepping to the group that had already gathered. The guards returned the doors to their closed state leaving the occupants to wait for the Princesses' arrival. Octavia took a moment to make a mental list of the ponies present. To the left of the throne stood Iron Mind, the false doctor Split Atom, and the fuchsia haired bat pony from the other morning.

Iron wore a military dress coat much like Shining Armor's. It was white with gold buttons, gold cufflinks and collar, and a bright yellow sash across his chest. His right front leg was bandaged against his chest, the sling holding it wrapped around his neck. At his elbow, a small cane was set with a band attaching it to his leg. Remaining bandages were concealed beneath the fabric of his coat. He did appear in better condition with the once visible bruises on his face fading from the tender care he must have been receiving. “Ah, Miss Octavia, Miss Vinyl, welcome. Please, join us.” He spoke on a calm, but firm tone. An inviting smile offered to them.

Being not of a military career, Split Atom had come wearing no clothing save for the wedding band around her left ankle. Short, bowl cut candy apple red mane bounced as she turned her head to stare upon the two musical mares. She grinned mischievously giving the suggestion she knew something that they did not. An errant hoof slid up against the opposite leg, scratching against the dusk orange fur. She leaned up, speaking softly to her husband while attempting to conceal the snickers of the moment. All the while she never let her eyes leave the pair of mares.

The third of the three ponies, was the fuchsia haired bat pony. A garment identical to Shining Armor's and Iron Mind's was worn, but these colors seemed to mimic that of the Moon Princess. Midnight blue fabric hugged around her slender torso, the buttons a shade of onyx, her sash royal blue, and the cufflinks and collar a simple black. Octavia and Vinyl both let their eyes trace from the bat pony's head, admiring her tan eyes, straight across to her sun fire orange wings, down to her cutie mark. The mark consisted of multiple fire work explosions of the rainbow. Six in total randomly splattered across both sides of her flank. The pony turned to face Iron, her lips moved to speak, yet not even the hint of a whisper was heard.

Vinyl took the initiative bumping her flank to Octavia's. “You can take that group, I'm going over to the other side for a sec.” She spoke up flashing a grin. Octavia answered with only a nod letting Vinyl trot away. “Yo! Twinks!” The DJ called out obscenely waving a hoof to the three ponies and dragon of the second group. It did not take long for Vinyl to forget the setting she was in. Octavia simply sighed.

Opposite of Iron Mind, Split Atom, and the bat pony, were ponies that Vinyl recognized instantly. “Yo, Spike, sup?” Vinyl grinned coming up to the dragon first.

Green spikes and purple scales on a small frame made up the one Vinyl called Spike. “Hey, Vinyl, what are you doing here?” On quick steps, the purple dragon ran up to clutch around the white pony's leg. After, he gave a quick leap slapping his clawed digits outwards when Vinyl extended her hoof.

“Gonna ask you the same thing. Octy and I were told this was an important meeting going on about a friend of ours.” She answered turning her gaze to the three ponies. She knew all three of them.

The lavender coated Twilight Sparkle, protege to Princess Celestia, stood to the right of Shining Armor, whom still wore the military fashioned coat he had met Octavia in earlier, and to his left was his wife, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, also known as Cadance. The DJ had met each of them on the night of their wedding reception garnering special favor using her skill of the turn table. It was the same day she sacrificed a stack of her favorite records defending against the Swiss cheese resembling changelings.

“We're here for the same thing, Vinyl,” Twilight spoke stepping from her mother's side to join the dragon. She offered her hoof forward firmly shaking it against Vinyl's.

Shades slid to the very tip of her nose before magic drew them back over her eyes. For a brief moment ponies could see the perplexed look she gave. “Celestia is really calling in all the stops over our missing friend. Not that we're not happy for it, it's just...” Vinyl trailed off shooting a glance to Iron. Eclipse was afraid of him, from lies Gold Mine told her, yet even with his words of encouragement left her feeling apprehensive.

“Yes, my Aunt Celestia and Aunt Luna have much to discuss over it. Forgive me, but they would be the better ponies to explain in earnest what is occurring.” It was Princess Cadance who came forward, with Shining Armor following at her hooves. As Split Atom was, Cadance wore no gown. True to her royal nature, she retained her tiara, gold necklace, and golden hoof guards. On her left ankle, the wedding band signifying her marriage to Shining was worn, glinting in the faint light of the hall.

A disappointed sigh fell from Vinyl's lips. There was some hope to obtain something to let her know what lie ahead, but it maybe these ponies were as much in the dark as she was. Coming about, she looked to Shining Armor, finally addressing him. “Hey, SA! Didja try those techniques I told ya about?” The DJ sauntered next to the captain ribbing him with her knee. “I know how to please the fillies, ya know.”

Marshmallows could have roasted from the heat produced on Shining Armor's cheeks. He turned his head away, setting a hoof to his mouth while coughing to clear his throat. Cadance stared at him wide eyed bewildered by Vinyl's words. Feeling a leg smacking him lightly on his back, he turned his head to see the cause of his embarrassment laughing next to him. “I would rather not discuss that in mixed company, you see.”

“Ah too bad! Wantin to make sure the wedding night was as much of a blast as before the wedding... Say, anypony know if they're gonna serve dinner? I haven't eaten since yesterday.. I think...”

Octavia shuttered at Vinyl's obnoxious laughter. She knew all too well what she must have been talking about to produce that laugh. It was common for Octavia to rush to Vinyl and give her a smack before she could offend anypony. However, this time she led it slid since she seemed to know the ponies she was with. Giving her attention back to the three before her, she gave a bow of her head to the bat pony. “Miss... Candy Sprinkles, correct? It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” She watched as the pony simply moved her lips, producing no audible sound that could be heard. Tilting her head, Octavia replied in kind, “Pardon me?”

“Forgive me for not explaining with the introduction,” Iron Mind said, “Candy has been mute since birth. It may seem that this would hinder her actions as a captain, but it is actually a blessing during night time patrols and her body language can speak volumes where words cannot.” The silver stallion motioned to the bat pony once more.

Candy Sprinkles appeared to be near the time of slumber. Tan eyes were glazed over with lids at half mast over the orbs. Manner in which her body swayed back and forth inclined she was fatigued or near exhaustion, but she still retained herself to keep eye contact on whichever pony was speaking.

And suddenly, Octavia fell backwards onto her haunches. Fright filled her eyes as the full vision of Split Atom's face mashed against her's. Giddy as a filly, the scientist pressed their muzzles together. “So, you're the kind of pony who uses physical delights to persuade your marefriend. From the examination I would never have guessed. Certainly need to add this to the information folder, but it can wait. How did the pills work? Was she out cold for the most part?”

Bombardment of questions and comments rocked Octavia until the relief of Iron gently pulling Split back allowed her some breathing room. Setting a hoof to her chest, she sighed raising back onto her hooves. “Yes, I was warned to keep my eye on you. I do not understand why you would want to pretend to be a doctor and examine both of us... Wait, what you do you mean by that first comment?” Pupils dilated baffled by the words that were spoken.

“Earlier today, after Vinyl Scratch woke,” Split Atom was released by Iron. She raised a hoof setting it neatly to her chin in thought. “In order to get Miss Scratch to cooperate, you offered a chance to bath with her and things lead to another point. Quite common for any number of relationships when one wishes the other to comply.” Right eye was closed, but her left remained opened watching the other intently for changes to her physical stance.

Octavia sputtered stumbling back from the wicked scientist. In her mind's eye, she saw the light orange pony laughing like a villain looking over a fallen arch enemy. It was almost a scene out of a bad comic book Vinyl often brought home. Her face mirrored an erupting volcano burning red and smoldering her senses.

Iron was her hero then, lightly tapping his wife on the back of her head. He was comforting in his smile to Octavia. “Forgive her, but I would say answering her questions in a private setting would cease any future copies of this moment... Forgive me.” He said again shaking his head to the wickedly grinning Split.

Words began to form in Octavia's mind for what she wanted to say about having a private meeting with Split, but they would not be uttered at this moment. An interruption, wonderful but late in timing, came without notice.

The doors of the hall opened once more bringing every pony and one dragon to bow forward. For arriving was the Princess of the Sun, Celestia, accompanied by two pegasus guards whom departed from her side once she safely entered the hall. Wide eyes shifted left and right taking in those present. She carried herself on righteous hoof steps up to her throne, where she sat back in front of it on her haunches. A deep breath, and she spoke, “Greetings, my friends, I wish to begin by apologizing to everypony present. No doubt, many of you wonder how the disappearance of one pony would garner such attention from my sister and I, and tonight I wish to put these questions at ease. Unfortunately,” Each pony raised up, taking a place along the sides of the red carpet leading to the thrones. Faces were watching up to the white alicorn bearing her words to memory. “What you will learn tonight changes events in history. I will begin with a short explanation, as Luna finishes raising the moon, and then we will venture to the tower that lays between mine and Luna's. A tower that had been sealed off since its original construction.”

The three guard captains knew well of this tower. Since its raising, Celestia sealed the entrance to the long hall connecting it to the main of the castle. Thief and explorers were caught regularly attempting to infiltrate inside, but were never able to get passed the barriers and magic locks. Twilight and Cadance recalled times seeing Celestia stand in front of the door to the hall leading up to the tower. Many of these times they would swear to see tear drops in the alicorn's eyes.

“Eclipse, a pony known as Captain Iron Mind's younger sibling, a roommate and friend to Miss Octavia and Vinyl Scratch, is much more. I am certain many ponies see her horn and wings and wonder why she is not within the safety of Canterlot, or they assume one or both to be false decorations of a rebellious youth. The evidence presented, and events passed conclude without a doubt her true identity. She is the third Celestial Princess, Eclipse.” Celestia hung her head forward, wavy hair floating just above her visions hiding back the trembles in her eyes. “While born to Iron Mind's mother, she would have come into place through magic, not conception. Her blood is the same blood that runs through my and Luna's veins. Tonight, each of you will learn of her original birth, and her demise.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Let me get this straight, Prim dear, moments before we would normally go to dinner, you peered outside, saw a shiny mare, ran outside nearly breaking your doors off their hinges, and now came back with four mares in tow. I must say, hon, I never expected you to be the type to want to keep a stable of mares at your beck and call!” Shortly after Prim Rose brought the four ponies back to her boutique, Open dragged Prim into the backroom before introductions were made. Prim barely was given time to tell the four to browse her goods and she would be out shortly before the door closed.

Prim paced before her friend. Back and forth her hooves carried her in the same ten feet. Tail swished each time she turned curving around firm flank and right, upper thigh. “I don't know. Something just came over me and I wish I knew what.” Prim stopped momentarily waving a hoof in front of her to emphasize the situation, “I just saw these piercing eyes that looked like stars staring in, hair that must have been spun from moonlight itself... And before I could think again, I ran after her.” Ashamed, she hung her head low returning to the quick pacing.

Open had perched himself on the edge of a work table, watching her with glee. A good friend knew when to take pleasure in a friend's misery to pull them from the cataclysm, or to show love and support to cast away a tide of depression. He brought a hoof up sliding down the Pon-3 shades to the edge of his nose. “You're going to trot a groove into the floor if you keep up that pace...” It donned on him then. Prim's facial expression played her off as being lost in a dreamy wonderland. Her half sullen eyes, a tiny smile curved on her lips, and new ammunition was added to his arsenal. For a pony who believed he finds true love three or four times a week, he saw the signs perfectly. “Love at first sight... Or how did you tell me again earlier? Lust at first sight? Oh how marvelous!” Open exclaimed pushing his hooves together rubbing them against his cheek. “Little Prim is loving.. Lusting after a pony after all these years!”

Muscles tightened, her legs became stone solidifying her hooves firmly in place. A dawning of knowledge to her own predicament came so suddenly, and so soon, it was a tidal wave pushing her over the mental brink. She hung her head low. Prim was a pony who hated having her own words thrown back or used against her. “Then I am simply following innate biological sensations when I followed after her, but once I got a good look at her she was perfect.”

“For?”

Hooves clicked twice to the ground while turning her body back to the door. “Advertising.” She spoke turning her head back looking to her friend.

Off the table his body dropped. All four hooves touching down in unison. The unicorn doctor came up behind then besides her, smirking, “But she isn't the type of beauty to be a model. Many ponies might argue that aside from her hair and eyes, she's just a... what is she anyway?” He had only a brief look at Eclipse before dragging Prim to the backroom. “Pegasus, right? But must be an earth pony. Nopony has wings like her's. It's absurd!” Head shook dismissing the idea of a half pegasus half bat pony.

“It's somewhat hard to notice, but she has a horn... it's broken though. The wings... I could not tell you if they're real or not.. Maybe she'll let me massage them if...” Perversion clouded her mind, a half smile curving the left side of her lips. Realizing Open was staring at her, grinning, she rid herself of the ideas. “Anyhow, I do not need a model that will over shadow the clothes. What I need is somepony who will catch the eye of a passerby. What I need is her. So...” Prim lost all ounce of self respect. She dropped down to her hind knees in front of Open pushing her hooves together. “Please go and buy some cakes and tea for me right now? I need enough for the four out there, and you can even buy whatever you want. You can go to your favorite bakery!” As Open knew how to manipulate Prim, Prim knew his weaknesses as well. The crown to the begging, Prim stuck her bottom lip out, trembling it with crocodile tears at the corners of her eyes.

“By all that is Celestia would you stop that! I'll do it and be back in a flash. I don't want to miss you mooning over somepony who may or may not even be legal!” Magic from Open's horn illuminated the perimeter of the door, as magic from Prim took a half circle table from a far wall.

The friends exited the backroom as Open's magic pushed the thick wood forward. Prim took the lead then stepping forward in front of the unicorn stallion. “I apologize for the sudden departure. Everypony, allow me to introduce my dearest friend, Doctor Open Heart.” Prim spoke looking out to the ponies she convinced to return with her. Spiral Flame was at one of her small showcases displaying a variety of jewelry. Prim had a deal with an out of town dealer that supplied her modeling days to sell their pieces by commission. Eclipse and Color Copy were set looking at the more modest nighttime apparel, socks and half t shirts worn to bed. Each knew of the socks, but were unsure what the shirt was even for if a pony was just going to sleep. Trixie, finally, had become fixated on a mannequin wearing a saddle shaped like a heart, socks covered in hearts, and a flank covering designed the same. Everything of the set was pinks and reds for somepony's very special somepony. Prim Rose's words brought each of them to take attention of her presence, and come joining closer to her. “Open, this is Miss Eclipse, Miss Color Copy, Miss Trixie,”

“Great and Powerful Trixie,” Trixie chimed in smirking.

“Yes, the Great and Powerful Trixie, and Miss Spiral Flame.” She gave their names to Open as each of them came to her. Her magic did its work moving the half circle she carried, made of plastic and dirty white, over to the center of the show floor. Prim unfolded it to create a full circle, the legs beneath pulled down, and set to the floor. “If we can all just have a seat we can begin discussing my proposal. My friend will be going out to purchase the aforementioned snacks and tea. Open.” She said looking to the apricot pony. Where he was looking, she didn't like. He had an amused grin while staring primarily at the small mare.

“Hey! That wasn't much of an introduction for me.” Wasting no effort, Spiral pushed herself in front of the others thrusting her chest forward and extending an arm across her chest. “I am the Spectacular Stunt Pony, Spiral Flame. Defiler of death and reaper of fear.” She snorted lightly bearing a broad smile. “So, a doctor, huh? Care to examine me?” Spiral wiggled her eye brows moving in close to the stallion. “Nice shades, by the way.”

Color Copy was the first pony to seat herself at the round portable table. Rolling her eyes at Spiral's display was painful to watch. Such a show off was never a good pony to have around, in her thoughts. Moods enlightened when Eclipse joined her at her right, white cheeks tinting pink with the filly so close. Copy drew the plastic bag from her neck using her teeth. The contents spilled outwards over the smooth plastic surface. Wonderbolt shaped erasers, small pieces of candy, deflated balloons scattered about. Her head turned pulling off each of the plastic wing covers next. A quick smile shot to Eclipse pushing a piece of candy to her with her nose.

In defense, Open thrust a hoof forward for Spiral to shake. Mohawk bounced down over his visions as he lowered his head lightly. “Course I know of you! I watch a few of your shows.” Aquamarine tail swished up and back down when he walked past Spiral to the back of the counter. A messenger bag, with 'Prim and Proper' stitched to the flap, was taken up by his magic and looped around his neck. Open took enough bits from the till to the bag pulling the flap down. “One show you were set on fire. Placed on your cycle, then rode from Captain Buck's Boat Casino onto a ramp, over the Strip's main road, landing in the Canterlot Casino's fountain. Most amazing part, only minor burns.”

“You set yourself on fire? Trixie was certain you were a brutish, ignorant pony but to do such a thing for fame? Trixie wonders how many braincells you killed in that time alone.” Trixie was the next to seat herself, taking a spot opposite of Eclipse at Color Copy's side. Her magic moved the hat from her head, setting it down onto the table.

“Wasn't that da..dangerous?” Broken horn lightly glowed gray lifting a piece of caramel, unwrapping the plastic, then popping it into her mouth. She peered over her shoulder looking at Spiral. She felt fire once. A spell misfire during her foal years caught a book on fire singeing her fur. Bat wing lifted, her head ducking beneath letting teeth nip at the fur at the base. Eclipse blinked, the piece of caramel slipping from her mouth attaching to her fur. It was an epic struggle, but in the end she managed to retrieve the candy swallowing the remains before anything else could happen.

“Course it was dangerous. I wouldn't be a stunt pony if it wasn't dangerous. I am a true celebrity, not like a certain false and conceited unicorn, I actually have fans and wealth to go with it.” Spiral gloated coming in turn to follow the other three ponies. She took a seat besides Eclipse, reaching a hoof over snatching a piece of hard candy for herself. Glares were exchanged with Trixie across the table after when she sneered in Spiral's direction. “It also helps that I'm naturally fire resistant. Comes with the cutie mark and all.”

“Trixie has heard of fire retardant but she is afraid that you just maybe retar--” Trixie bit her tongue, fighting back the urge to continue this petty argument. “Hmph.”

“Thank you, Open... Please hurry back...” Prim whispered when her friend passed her for the door. In moments, the jingle of the door's bells signaled his departure. Reading ponies was a part of the pageant scene. One had to be able to know what their opponents were planning, or how they would perform and figure, sometimes on the spot, how to outperform the other. All Prim saw when she looked at these ponies was a mixture of emotions and storms. The short distance to the table was taken quickly, Prim seated herself at the table, facing the door. “Now, let's get down to business. As mentioned before, I would like you, Eclipse to offer services as a model for my Boutique.”

“That will be a problem.” Copy lowered her mouth to the edge of the table. Front hooves moved out shoveling a mess of gummy bears into her waiting maw. “Smee, we're leaming for Manematten tomommow amound moom.” Prim, Trixie, and Spiral shot unamused looks at the candy stuffed pony. Copy chewed quickly, then tried to force the lump of sugar down her throat. When it became lodged, powerful hoof slams from Eclipse aided in its departure downwards. “Well.. What I said was, we're leaving for Manehatten tomorrow around noon...” Her eyes trailed away from the group looking from the disappointed face of Prim. “So it'd be hard to do anything.”

“Yeah so your little project has to wait for somepony else.” Spiral yawned bracing her chin onto her hoof. Her knee set against the table while giving a bored look.

Eclipse sighed looking down. She felt guilty for letting Prim down. They had met within the past hour, but hopelessness her body language conveyed her disappointment prominently. “Well... Mo..modeling is just tak..taking pictures right? Can't we do th..that right now?” Copy and Spiral dropped their jaws to the table rushing to bring their eyes to Eclipse.

“You would do that?” Prim asked. Eclipse nodded once to confirm. “Well then. I'm afraid I cannot offer bits upfront. But, what I can do is allow you to keep whatever items we use for the pictures.” The rose oriented pony placed her hooves in front of her on the table. “If you give me your home address I can send bits once business picks up from the advertising.”

Before any other pony could speak, Spiral thrust her body upwards shaking her head. “Now just wait a minute! My Eclipse wont be dressing in anything that she should only be seen in when we're alone!”

“Yeah! My Eclipse wont be doing that!” Pure white wings shot out, her cheeks glowing red when Copy stood with Spiral. They locked eyes together, agreeing with a glance that they had a common agreement even if their thoughts on Eclipse differed.

“Allow me to clarify,” Prim began ignoring the claim on Eclipse both ponies outright made. She took note that Trixie had no said a thing, just observed. “I had no intentions of having her model any of my apparel worn for lovers. Over the eastern seas they tend to wear clothing to bed, some ponies have begun to mirror this trend and I have a line of clothes I wish to sell accordingly.” She raised a hoof motioning over to the corner next to the counter. On the walls and on small show tables were various small shirts, socks, and modest undergarments. “Considering how young she looks, I only wish for her to model, maybe five outfits, from the selection on the wall. No saddles, no garters, nor would I ask her to pose in a way that would convey the wrong message to anypony looking at the add. I have a camera in the back we can use, I can have an area for photographing ready quickly, and within a few hours, have the shots I need. Is this alright?”

Two perverted minds joined together listening to Prim. For these two ponies, they imagined coming home to find Eclipse waiting for them wearing the various garments displayed around the shop. Saliva coaxed from their glands moistening their mouths at the sheer delight. Only Copy gave off any outward physical indication of her wayward thoughts with her wings firing off her back, smacking a now disgruntled Trixie on her head.

“If.. Eclipse wants to then I'm fine with it!” Copy spoke first jumping up to bounce on her hind feet wanting the show to begin now.

“Yeah, I can give up a few hours for this.. I do believe.” Predator smile slid over Spiral's mouth narrowing her gaze to Eclipse.

“Trixie is fine as long as Trixie is allowed to take something herself.”

“That can possibly be arranged if you're willing to offer some magic for the photos.” Prim agreed ignoring Spiral and Copy. She did not want to know what they were thinking, but they gave the approval she sought. It now came down to the filly. Prim turned to Eclipse, her smile to her gentle and kind. She didn't want to make her feel pressured to say yes, but the chance of her saying no could not be completed washed from her face.

Her answer brought instant delight to Prim. “Al..alright. I'll do..do it since everypo..everypony is fine with it.” Moon lit spheres gazed to the four ponies around her. It was something else new she had the chance to experience, and to her, the things she would get might make great gifts when she returned to Vinyl and Octavia.

“Marvelous! I'll go ready the camera, and gathered the things needed. Everypony just rest here while Open returns.” Prim shifted herself back onto her hooves trotting to the backroom door. A dull pain hit her mind when she looked back at Eclipse. The possessing way Spiral and Copy spoke to her stuck to her like a thorn. Into the back she dismissed herself, out of range to hear Spiral's last whisper.

“Any pony see her horn? Looks like somepony carved into it. Know what that is?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“But Princess,” It was Twilight who spoke bringing everypony's head to turn to face her, “You gave me the tome of memories to study. I watch every event multiple times, but when I searched through history books, journals old texts, and even fairy tales for anything relating to Eclipse but...” Twilight looked down and away. Always on quests for knowledge, it was when she could not find what she sought did the feelings of disappointment and failure sprung within. This served to further pique the interest of the ponies. “I couldn't find anything. No notes, no pictures, not even an old mare's tale that would suggest you had a sister, how can this be for a member of royalty?”

Attention returned to the goddess, everypony sought an answer to Twilight inquisition. A heavy burden, Celestia knew that this question would come before Luna arrived. Answers were something she wanted to wait until her younger sibling was there besides her to give. Dreading the reactions among her faithful subjects, she began again, “Nor would you find anything, my faithful student.” To the glass ceiling her eyes did raise. The openness of space, the twinkle of the stars gave her confidence to continue. “Everypony knows of the founding of Equestria. In the reciting, the unicorns raise the sun and the moon, pegasi create and control the weather, and earth ponies cultivated the land. When ponies hearts became cold from hate and mistrust, the lands they inhabited grew cold mirroring their souls.”

Celestia began what seemed to be the retelling of the founding. There was not a pony present who did not know it by heart. Each heard of it time and time again every Hearths Warming Eve. Octavia came over towards Vinyl quickly on quiet hoof steps. She replaced her seat down besides her marefriend. Violate eyes sought comfort in the DJ's presence. A feeling that tonight would shake her strong will could not be ignored. Vinyl's right leg came across the withers of her lover, pulling her close causing Octavia's to smile. But, when Vinyl's stomach gurgled from lack of nourishment, it brought disapproving glances in her direction. Octavia's cheeks could have stained red then. She buried her face into the crook of the white pony's leg, wanting only to fade from the sudden spotlight.

Fortune smiled that Celestia did not take notice to the interrupting belly. Celestia's eyes seemed to be lost in another time and place. Her mind brought her back to the fateful days of old reliving the years of regret and turmoil that continued to bring conflict. “Even before the founding, Luna and I resided within the castle in the Everfree Forest. In truth, unicorns did not raise the sun and moon, but their magic told us when to do so. In truth, the pegasi did not create the weather, but we send the clouds for them to manipulate. Ponies knew of us, and worshiped us, but few saw us. From each tribe they would send ponies periodically with food, workers, and requests. It was not until after the six ambassadors found Equestria, that we came from seclusion to rule unbiased for any one tribe. So in awe that their goddesses would join them, the ponies agreed for peace to allow this. Unicorn royalty became figureheads there after, many of whom are seen to this day.” Air became stale to Celestia when she breathed in a deep breath. Wings extended out feeling a chill roll down her spine from the base of her neck to her flank. Finding calm, she spoke again, “In such an early time, peace was still fragile. And an event that occurred twenty years after the founding, an event that I chose to hide to ensure peace was re--.”

“No, my sister, it was not your decision alone, nor was it your burden alone to bear.” Thunder rolled and lightning crashed. Flashes of white light shot through the grand hall. Each torch was snuffed out bringing darkness with it. Twin eyes, glowing white, appeared besides Princess Celestia. One by one, the flames of the torches along the walls once more bore flame; an eerie green and black fire. It was if the stars has been captured and weaved into the ever flowing mass of Luna's mane and tail. Midnight blue coat displayed the cutie mark of black and moon on her flank. She offered a calming smile to her sibling, restraining her urge to embrace her in this time of need. “In order to conceal what took place, it was also necessary to remove Eclipse from history.” Luna's voice lowered unable to retain the strength of her vocals. Since she remembered part of her time as Nightmare Moon, and remembered the filly locked on the cellar, she had felt a depression unlike anything she had felt for a thousand years.

Raising up to her hooves, Celestia began to gradually move down the red carpeted steps. Luna followed closely behind her staying only a few hooves pace back. “Now, my friends, my little ponies, come with us so we can tell you the full truth, tell you of the history removed. We understand that learning of such things may draw an ill favor towards us, but we simply request that you retain an open mind until the end.” When Celestia and Luna passed those assembled, they fell in line behind the Princesses in twos. With joined magic, the alicorns brought the grand doors open guiding them from the hall.

Twilight, with Spike on her back, and Candy Sprinkles were the first to join in the procession. Though she felt eager, Twilight resisted the urge to gallop up beside her beloved mentor. An abundance of questions piled up in her thoughts. She wanted to ask each and everyone, but knew the answers would come soon enough. Desire to comfort Celestia and Luna in this emotional time also came. But, there would be time for this later.

Shining Armor and Cadance took position next. Even being of proper royalty herself, she knew naught of what transpired thousands of years ago. In her years as a foal, she knew only of Luna as Nightmare Moon, but nothing of a younger sister to them. Memories of a third tower besides the Celestial sisters' returned to her. A doorway blocked the entrance to the hall leading to it, and at no time was she ever allowed past regardless how often she asked.

Next, came Iron Mind and Split Atom. They exchanged looks, a silent conversation exchanging ideas and proposals with subtle bodily movements and mouthed words. Split was giddy over the prospect of furthering her catalog of files she assembled. Iron Mind, though, received her assurance she would not share what she had of the Royal Family outside of her own amusement. He trusted Split more than even Celestia and knew she understood the gravity of a slipped tongue could do.

Finally, Octavia and Vinyl join in the rear. Talks hinting at the possibility that Eclipse could have been connected to the Princesses had come up, but were dismissed each time the filly had told them new information of her foalhood. When Vinyl noticed Octavia's mood becoming dark, she bumped her flank to the other causing a startled squeak. Muted laughter threatened to become vocal when Octavia glared at her marefriend. The break was appreciated until the familiar gurgling of an empty belly brought back and embarrassed blush.

Canterlot Castle was a large and expansive. Multiple spires picketed the sky housing guest quarters, barracks, store rooms, and a variety of other necessities. The central area was surrounded by a single, circular hall. Every path lead to this round path which acted as the central hub of traveling around the castle. In the west, of the inner circle the hall surrounded, was the Grand Audience Chamber. In the south, facing north, a single door lead to a smaller room. Within this room three twin doors, smaller than that to the Audience Chamber, stood, and from this room three covered walkways extended to the three tallest towers at the Castle's center.

The twin door on the left, carved from black metal and decorated with silver and sapphires, had Luna's cutie mark carved into its center, split down the middle where the twin doors parted. Beyond it, a walkway lead North West to Luna's tower a structure a story smaller than Celestia's. Doors in the middle had been created from gold with diamonds and a rainbow of gemstones to decorate with Celestia's cutie mark bestowed on it. Going north down the walkway, ponies would find Celestia's tower, the tallest of the three. To the right was a door that had never been opened, to anypony's knowledge since the castle construction after Nightmare Moon's banishing. Smokey colored metal, gems faintly glowing, and platinum metal formed the entrance. What ponies debated was a cutie mark, was as well carved into the materials; an eight pointed star with the bottom point twice as long as the others, set to the center of a circle that was surrounded by a wavy aura. Beyond, lead to a walkway and tower thought to never have been visited.

It was not until after Luna's return that ponies learned Celestia had Luna's tower built in anticipation for her return. Possessions from before her banishment had been kept secretly and safely as both keepsakes to Celestia and for when Luna return. It was this founding that furthered the debate that the third tower had some connection to another pony lost to Celestia.

When the group entered, the Princesses did not hesitate to approach the right doors. Octavia and Vinyl gasped at the sight. She finally lost all sense of proper etiquette proudly thrusting a hoof at the doors, waving the limb at an increasing speed. “Octy! Octy! It's Nightlight's cutie mark! Right there! Right there!”

“Yes, Vinyl, I can see it.” Unwanted attention once more burned red over Octavia's cheeks. Right hoof planted against her face as she shut her eyes. Head shook lightly wanting to will herself away from here, or at least will Vinyl to gain an ounce of restraint.

Luna leaned over close to Celestia, “Nightlight?” Quizzical tone spoke towards her elder sibling. She glanced back at Vinyl as if expecting an answer from her.

“I believe Iron Mind informed me that it is a nick name Miss Scratch gave Eclipse.” Tongue clicked off the top of her mouth drawing Luna's attention back to the door.

The sisters came before the exalted, ashen door. First meeting with their eyes, a nod exchanged, they raised their muzzles upwards. Bright glows emitted, gathering at the center of their horns' tips. White and black energy paralleled until their intensity reached the critical level. Magic flowed out freely washing across the entirety of the door. It was there that the two powers joined forming an aura of gray. The cutie mark on the door began to glow; the star white, the circle black, and the wavy outer rim white. Echoing sound of breaking glass filled the entrance room. One by one the barriers and seals shattered giving way to the mystery that lied ahead. A chilling groan was heard as hinges became used after a long period of neglect.

Stale air rolled out from the sealed walkway filling the room as a thick, stagnate odor. Beyond appeared to be never ending darkness. Everypony knew that stepping past the point of the doors would seal them to continue until the end. If one wanted to leave, it had to be then.

Among the group, only one was hesitant to enter, “Say, Twilight, maybe I should go back to the room and organize your luggage. Ya know, where it isn't dark and spooky.” Spike spoke up moving his claws over Twilight's back to clamber down to the floor. Bucking her flank, Spike was tossed back onto Twilight before he could dismount. He whimpered as the group of ponies entered the haunting darkness.

Celestia entered first. Two spheres of white appeared besides her horn floating to either side of the wall just inside the door. Tigers' busts hung on the wall, its mighty mouth opened to roar holding the flame within. The spheres jumped from the busts bouncing to the next tiger's head. This continued another five times until all fourteen sculptures poured out the white light. The walkway was fully lit revealing the inner workings. On the eastern wall were six stained glass windows separated by the flames. Ponies who walked past the outside of the walkway would have seen only the smooth wall, unmarred by the colorful glass art. Opposite of each stained glass, on the western walls, were six portraits. Works of art painted thousands of years in the past. Each cased in a golden flower motif frame. The floors were granite, made from dark earthly browns, speckled with white and silver stone fragments. It was smooth to the touch, easy to become slippery if wet.

Luna took the lead from her sister approaching the first window and portrait. It was her turn to wield her magic alone. Lids fell deftly over sky blue as lips parted. She drew in a slow breath concentrating on bringing magic forth. An aura of dark blue came from her horn's tip blanketing the first stained glass. Concrete and plaster vanished from behind the multicolored window revealing the image. It depicted a side view of Celestia and Luna's heads facing opposing directions. At its center, a gray infant filly laid curled in a bundle of white cloth only allowing her head to be visible. In the glass, Luna's mane was its original royal blue, as Celestia's carnation pink. As in this time, Eclipse's mane a gray blue.

The portrait joined with it depicted the three sisters in a happy setting. Luna and Celestia sat on their haunches, with a toddler Eclipse between them sitting on her flank. Each wore an expression of happiness and peace. They appeared smaller in statute than their modern selves, no crowns on their heads, nor necklaces around their necks. If it was not for their wings and horns they would have appeared to be any normal pony family. Even back then, Eclipse had one bat wing, one pegauss wing, and her eyes glowed blessed by moon light. Behind them a vast garden was painted, many flowers and bushes never seen outside of the Everfree Forest.

“Eclipse was delivered to us by our parents scarcely three months after her birth. She came to us with a request, message, and a warning.” Luna began the tale when Celestia came next to her. Each ponies sat down to listen to the first part of the story.

At mention of Celestia's and Luna's parents, Twilight recalled a time she had asked Celestia a question she never received an answer for. It was just before Mother's Day when Twilight was ten, two years after becoming the Princess' protege. When asked of Celestia's parents, Twilight only was given the answer, 'Everypony meets them when the time comes.' It was the only answer that was ever given. Asking Cadance only fueled the mystery. With her, she said that her parents were in a place that they could see her in the day light, but she could never see them. It made her wonder, since it had been almost two thousand years since this story happened, when the last time Celestia and Luna heard from their parents. The thoughts were dismissed, and she gave her full attention back to the sisters.

“They left a simple message. Love her, take care of her, teach her, and guide her.” Head leaned back, hovering mane flowing outwards against an invisible wing. Celestia stared at the portrait. It had been several hundred years since she had last set food in these hollowed halls. A hoof was raised, extending up to the portrait. The image began to glow emitting a strange spell over the floor.

Phantom images appeared around them. Grass and flowers covering the stone floor, rose bushes and lilies popping up randomly where hooves were not set, and ponies depicted only as shadows wandering to and fro. At the next window and portrait, the ghostly image of a pink haired Celestia, and royal blue haired Luna, sat side by side clopping their hooves eagerly against the ground. With her blank flank up high, the baby Eclipse clumsily moved on wobbly legs towards them.

Joy filled Vinyl's face and a cheery smile adorned her lips. She leaned down hastily, her mouth opening snapping her teeth around a single lily that sprang up next to her. The painful chattering that followed vibrated through her jaw. She whimpered at the lies around her. Vinyl was certain she had finally been given the dinner she had been desiring, but it was only a tease to her poor, rumbling stomach. Bottom lip stuck out, tears forming as she let the flesh tremble.

“The message,” Luna began to speak casting her eyes down to the old memory. A half laden smile curved on her lips watching the sweet event take place. “Told us of Eclipse's purpose. For Eclipse, she could block the sun's rays or the moon's glow. She did this by creating a phantom moon that covered the sun or my own moon.”

“While an actual solar eclipse, the moon moves between the planet and the sun, and a lunar eclipse, the planet moves between the sun and the moon.” Twilight commented displaying a proud grin.

“That is correct, Twilight,” Luna then continued, “Through the use of these eclipses, Eclipse acted as a balance between Celestia and I. For, when the rays of the sun or the glow of the moon became blocked, so was Celestia's and my magic was weakened. She was to be a guard to ensure neither of us held the upper hoof over the other. For, though we goddesses are capable of great wisdom and even greater kindness, we were also susceptible to cruelty and hate.” This brought back memories of Nightmare Moon. Something Celestia and Luna had discussed after her return, if Eclipse had been there a thousand years ago, would Luna have had to be banished to begin with?

“Yes, Eclipse holds a unique talent that gave her a frightful reputation in days of old. Just as her eclipses could weaken us, she could also weaken a unicorn's magic, temporarily cease a pegasus flight, or remove the strength of an earth pony. During the short time the effects were in place their cutie marks would become dull, nearly transparent from sight. But,” Celestia took a moment of pause returning to the memory playing out.

Before them, the ghostly Celestia looked at the ghostly Luna casting a challenging glare which was returned in kind. Though nopony could hear what they said, their lips made the message clear, 'Come on Eclipse! Who do you love more? Come to Tia, come on, come to Tia.' 'No, come to Lulu, Luuluuu, Lulu loves you more!' Much to the dismay of the young versions, Eclipse's slow, wobbly trotting brought her right past them, and leaped on top of an unusual black furred creature with white tiger's strips. The creature had the form of a tiger, but with four additional legs, and four additional eyes. A most curious sight.

“This is where we were warned. Eclipse would never be as powerful or in control of her magic as we. As such, her power would not last a significantly long time without taking its toll on her. There was a time she slept for six months after causing an eclipse that lasted eleven days.” Celestia and Luna looked away from each other, blush tingling their cheeks. “But, the warning went on. If she was placed in the wrong hooves, she could very well be used against us. With this, we chose to keep her from sight, away from the visitors who came to the castle. She became a legend and a mare's tale even while still a foal. Come, let us continue.”

One by one the apparitions vanished from the shadow ponies to the plants. Following the princesses, the ponies moved with their pairing to the next set. Octavia lifted a hoof beneath each eye. Watching the play of magic, the happiness of two sisters guiding their youngest to walk was a touching moment. She turned to her marefriend, patting her shoulder. Vinyl was slumped forward hanging her head down between her front knees. “Vinyl? What's wrong?” Concern rolled with each word when she whispered, lowering her face to Vinyl's level.

“It's not fair, Octy, it's not fair.” Reply came with small sobs and whimpers. Hoofs stomped the solid granite floors in frustration.

“I know, Vinyl, to see and hear of such happy times, just knowing that something in the end brought it to all go away.” Sighing, Octavia slid to sit down again next to her lover. She rested her chin down onto the top of Vinyl's, humming a gentle, comforting tune.

Vinyl moved her head out from beneath Octavia's, raising her brows in a bout of confusion. “Huh? No,” she sniffed rubbing her hoof to her eyes. “The flowers, they looked so tasty, and I'm so hungry. But they were fake. Nothing but a cruel joke on a hungry DJ. It's not fairy, Octy, it's not fair.”

If there was ever a time that marefriend abuse would be ignored, Octavia was certain that it would be now. The urge to smack Vinyl the fought back with the restraint only known by Celestia herself. Instead of bringing her hoof to the back of Vinyl's head, she opted to instead drag the pony to the rest of the group. For another time in the night, the pair had become the center of unwanted attention. Hooking her ankle around Vinyl's, Octavia dragged her unceremoniously to the rest of the group.

After taking their places with the others, the portrait and companion window ere examined. The portrait had been painted indoors rather than out. It appeared to be a small version of the modern castle's audience chamber. Rather than stone thrones, they were made of wood and covered with a cloth of some sort. It was assumed the black throne to be Luna's, and the white to be Celestia's. Though not princesses yet, they were still treated as deities to the ponies of old. Celestia and Eclipse were the only ponies portrayed. Celestia was laying on her belly, legs bent beneath her. Her head was raised elegantly, staring in the direction of the painter. Directly besides her, Eclipse, now painted close to five years of age, was sitting in a similar manner pressed up directly at her side. When she smiled in the painting, it seemed she had not yet mastered the partial smile so carefully done by the high class or sophisticated when having their photos taken or portraits painted.

As before, Luna's magic gave way to removing the spell that blocked the stained glass window from the outside. The natural glow of the moon joined by electric lights and open flames brightened the multiple shards that created the picture. In this image, Eclipse was poised on one side of a wall with the black tiger like creature that appeared in the ghostly imagery before. She was posed looking back at the barrier, her wings extended skyward. On the other side of the wall, Celestia and Luna were joined by multiple ponies of each tribe. Even in those days, Eclipse could not escape isolation.