• Published 21st May 2012
  • 1,128 Views, 35 Comments

Cursed Eclipse - Across Equestria - AImostpure



The third story of the Cursed Eclipse Saga.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,128

Gold's Ambition

It was the way they begged even knowing that it would do no good. It was the way they writhed and clung to life despite so much blood lost. It was the way they cried staring into the face of death. The metallic smell of blood. The breaking of bones. The whimpers and screams. The final act of snuffing the life out feeling the ultimate control one could have over another sentient being. Gold Mine loved this feeling more than anything. It was never the same as that first time. Each sequential time created only a dull void instead of the pulse pounding, euphoric high. No, for the dozenth time he was left in the end with only a void and the remembrance of Eclipse's escape taunting him from where she left him to die.

“Please, sir, I have a foal...”

Were the last things that touched Gold's ears. The room was purposely kept dark. Torches on the walls were scarce in order to keep the victims from being able to truly see the instruments around them. All that they would make out were silhouettes of bludgeoning apparatuses, medical utensils, and bottles of fine alcohol. This room was carved from solid rock. It took a slew of unicorn construction workers a month to get it just as Gold Mine had wanted it. Hidden deep within his property in Trottingham, amongst the trees, and hidden from the common eye.

Dressed in black jackets, sunglasses, and white cufflinks, two guard ponies stood on either side of a large oak door. The door was connected to a large slab of rock twenty yards long, twenty yard wide, and two stories tall. Only muffled sounds could ever be heard. A quick look shared between the two at the final beg from a feminine voice, and soon the familiar thump of dead flesh upon the floor. There was hatred for this job but it paid too well to just leave.

The door opened with an eerie creaking. The right guard readied a handkerchief from a jacket pocket presenting it without a glance in front of the door. Gold Mine shortly came out, his magic taking the white cloth to dab the sticky red from his face. “A bleeder this time. Perhaps I should avoid those areas or it may take more than a rag to clean me off. Dispose of the body in the usual way. She mentioned having a foal. Do what you must with it as well.” The now red cloth moved with the aura of magic to rub up and down his horn. The guards knew he used it to finish the deed this night. “Find me a pegasus maid this time. Not too young, no family.”

A quiet prayer was spoken to Celestia prior to each guard entered to clean the mess up in the hidden room. Gold Mine departed leaving them to their duties. It was still early in the morning and he felt exhilarated. Although, each time he committed his excursion he felt it less and less. Day to day routine would be continued by first returning to his mansion. It was larger than his former manor in Fillyton, the rooms were more spacious with modern devices. An hour was spent in the exercise area trotting on the treadmill then into his personal wave pool to finish his light workout. With no longer having a maid, Gold fell back on the two guards he left at his mansion to prepare him lunch. They never could make a hay and dried apple sandwich the way he liked it. A full belly would help with the task he was loathing to come.

The scheduled time for the appointment was two hours past what he planned. The clock chimed one PM signaling the start of the second hour. A bodyguard, one of the two from the morning, knocked a hoof against the door of Gold Mine's office. With hooves outstretched he opened the redwood doors giving way for himself, and a panting pink griffin, to enter into the spacious room.

Handy hadn't yet visited this estate. This room was nothing like what Gold had in his old resistance. No it was far more elegant and refined. Everything was antique right down to the handles on the doors. Not a single expense was spared in decorating one of the three rooms Gold spent most of his days in. “By golly, boss, this is something else...” Handy whispered moving to a large leather chair.

When she attempted to lower her self down, she was caught in the glare of Gold Mine. The blond haired unicorn had situated himself behind an intimidatingly large desk. “Do not ruin my investment with your hind quarters. What do you have for me this time? If it isn't useful...” The warning tone shook Handy down to her very core.

From her right foot she tossed, carefully, the notepad she had stolen the day before. Handy Candy did not want to get in close to the pony. She was late with her last check in and late again today. With Gold's newest cravings she feared she maybe next. A disgusted feeling surfaced in her gut. Since he left the hospital she had learned from one of the bodyguards he had 'helped' ten ponies escape the boundaries of this world, as Gold often put it. Vagrants and the unwanted were the targets and they were disposed of in the same manner; transported to Everfree and fed to Timberwolves. Fore feet rubbed together nervously staring at her employer, her master.

Magic entwined the notepad bringing it straight to Gold Mine's eyes. The pages were flipped gazing over each scribble taking note of names and information. “Where did you get this? Do not try to beat around the bush, either, I want the exact pony.” Briefly his eyes came over the top of the note pad then trialed back down.

If griffin would ever sweat, she was doing so now. Her feathers felt unusually damp against her skin. For such a stout griffin, she felt such fear for the unicorn before her. Handy Candy had once wrestled ponies twice her size for bits while wearing a mask. Fearless and determined were once words used to describe her. Now, she as a shadow of herself praying to one day be free from the blackmail Gold Mine held over her. “He was your son, boss. 'Ad the same eyes and everything. Almost got caught, I did.”

“Of course knowing how you do things he will be coming here I suspect. Find a dark room to hide in. The guards will bring you food when I tell them to. Once it's clear, and he has made his visit, you'll be told where to go next.” Gold scoffed tossing aside the note pad. “On your way out send in the pony waiting by the door. And Candy.”

Movement as made to begin her exit when her name caused her to stop, and turn back to Gold Mine. She was afraid of what he may say next. “Yeah, boss?”

“You know of my recently aquired hobby. And I usually choose mares or fillies to fulfill it. As I understand you're shacking up with a blind earth pony, are you not?” Gold's voice held no emotion. A bland spoken statement in the disguise of a question. This brought a drop of Handy's beak to speak, but no words could come out. “Disappointment me again, reveal to somepony something you shouldn't again, and I will test if I really need a blind fold for my playmates or if a blind pony will do just fine. Now get out.”

Handy Candy didn't care if something happened to her, not after she met her special pony, but the moment that he was threatened she felt a new fear. There wasn't much information on who Eclipse was to the boss, but if it meant keeping her lover away from harm she would place one pony in front of the gates of Tartarus to save the other. As an obedient pet, she left the confines of the office motioning for the pony besides the door to take her place. She only wanted to find a room where no pony could see her and the sun could not touch her. The darkness would hide her sins and let her pretend she was a good griffin for one more day until she could be baptized in the love of her coltfriend.

The bodyguard entered shortly after Candy had gone around the corner and out of sight. Entering into his employer's office, the guard only gave a confirming nod that he was prepared for his orders. Gold Mine turned his chair giving his back to the guard to watch. He took to staring out his window, admiring the rich forest view before him. “This is to be done with utmost haste. Contact our guard friend at the Griffin Border Ramparts. Have him meet with Octavia Philharmonica within this very hour and have her bring our runaway with her. According to the little notes the griffin brought, she'll be at the Philharmonica household here in town. Do hurry, I want her returned home by nightfall.” The guard bowed his head and departed. Alone, Gold leaned back in his chair and let his mind wander. He was so close to obtaining Eclipse back that he felt laughter coming on. Cold, haunting, dark laughter roaring from the depths of his black soul.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1:10 PM. At this same time, across town at the train station, Iron Mind had finally arrived after numerous delays. It took several hours to clear a herd of cattle from the train tracks. Those bovine seemed to be able to talk for hours about any nonsensical subject. It finally took a pony pretending some rope was a snack to clear them away. Further down the line, the train was stopped again due to an unannounced parade of ponies who wander in random places. Then, it was the bushel of bouncing baby bunnies stampeding next to the train forcing it to slow down for onlookers to marvel at the sight. The trip would not have felt so long if Iron had managed to be able to sleep through the pain of his wounds, and there was not a deadline looming over his head.

There were no bags to wait to be unloaded. He had taken his saddle brief case, trench coat, and Celestia's seal with him. No strength was within him at the time to gallop to the police station. While Iron knew they were within the city, the location of the head Philharmonica household was unknown to him. Most likely he would need to question the local authorities for their whereabouts.

The distance between the train station and police station was not far he learned after questioning a local. Down these peaceful streets, Iron took to observing the day to day activities that other ponies took in. He let his mind wander away, for the first time in many weeks, to the past of all places. Tendrils of black mane bothered him over his face. Magic pulled it back away only to feel the firmness of crusty hair. He hadn't bothered to bath since his beating and the blood still remained in his scalp. Even with his distraction he went back to thinking.

Seeing foals with their parents was the biggest trigger. It took him back to times of old. Childhood was not a happy event for most days. Gold Mine demanded perfection in every way and he felt a heavy hoof when it did not come. Iron had to excel in all things; sports, academics, and business to name just a few. There was preference to being hit by the hoof than for things that Gold did if his cruelty was at its brink. Iron Mind stopped for a moment, shuttering away the dark passages of his foalhood. Wounds that Iron sustained were always in places easy to hide, particularly from the one pony who gave Iron reprieve from the vicious onslaught; His grandfather Platinum Wealth.

Iron Mind stopped to watch a foal play with an older pony. The filly foal danced around the grandfather speaking in happy tones and running off dozens of questions but never waiting for an answer. Silver eyes softened at the display and a new bout of memories returned. Iron cherished every chance he was able to visit his grandfather. Grandmother had passed many years before his birth due to illness. Platinum Wealth was a kind and gentle soul. He had tried to raise Gold to be just like him yet the pony refused to be anything but selfish.

Platinum died when Iron was thirteen. His funeral was held in a quiet place with a small service and few in attendance. What money would have been spend on an extravagant funeral was instead spent on giving his workers a celebration for their time working for him, as per his will. Iron's one solitude was now gone.

Returning to his walk, there was one more memory that came back to him. On the last day he had seen his parents, nearly twenty one years ago on the day he was knighted, he spoke to his mother privately. While Gold was cruel to him, Diamond saw the brunt of the damage. A father's cruelty was nothing compared to a husband's scorn. Much of the beatings that Iron Mind endured came from not fulfilling Gold's expectations. Diamond Mind, however, was beaten for not dressing right, changing her mane in a way he did not approve, or for every failing that Gold lost. Iron attempted to convince Diamond to leave Gold, come to Canterlot, and he would work to let her live happily and freely. He still remembers the sting of the slap she left him with. ”I will not abandon my husband. I serve him as a wife should and anything he does I deserve.” Diamond was a broken mare.

Finally, he found himself in front of the station. His resolution to see this through had been restored with a new vigor thanks to the past. He had to find Vinyl Tracks and Octavia Philharmonica at all costs. With any luck, Eclipse was with them and his journey would soon come to a fulfilled end.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1:30 PM. After receiving a letter at Octavia's parent's home, Octavia and Vinyl departed to meet with the representative of Celestia at a small cafe near the western edge of town. Their parents urged them with caution due to the content of the notes. It had asked for them to bring Eclipse with them to the meeting. Yet, Octavia's papa and Vinyl's mother had explicitly said she was missing. There was an air of worry among the ponies, but this was a meeting that the pair could not afford to ignore.

The cafe they arrived at appeared nearly deserted save for a single, cigarette smoking waitress and a disgruntle cook. It was more of a dive than any real cafe. No customers were in sight save for a single, burly pony at a table next to a path leading into the thick forest surrounding Trottingham. Every chance was taken to keep his identity a secret. Guard helmet encased his mane totally, the armor plates covered his cutie mark, and black visors kept the color of his eyes a mystery. The only thing that could be made out was his lime green coat. Its self a rarity he did not bother to consider.

Octavia did not move when they spotted the guard. Anxiety stiffened her legs as if her hooves had been placed in solid cement. Questions went through her mind asking her if this was the right thing to do. Knowing Eclipse's fear of Canterlot, she wondered if there was any truth to the things that created her paranoia. Vinyl felt the unease in Octavia and placed a foreleg around the withers of her lover. Her smile melted away the ice that froze Octavia's nerves. Together they approached the guard, taking a seat at either side of him.

“There was supposed to be three of you.” The lime green stallion chirped up glancing between the two. Hoof guards clicked against the table top when he pressed forward to lean. Covered eyes glancing between the pair. Little was told to him about these two save that Octavia might be the easier to converse with. Vinyl, as per her routine, wore deep red shades to keep her unique iris' hidden.

Confusion was apparent between the pair. Octavia looked at Vinyl but Vinyl never removed her eyes from the guard. The DJ instead crossed her forelegs and waited for something more to be said. She was studying the guard for any signs of change. Something about the lime green pony troubled her.

“I am afraid that you may have received only part of the information that was sent to Canterlot. You see, several days ago when we left Manehatten for Trottingham on the train, our friend, Eclipse, boarded the wrong train.” Octavia began her explanation swiftly. Every so often she looked to her marefriend for some sort of motion or approval or to hold back what she said. Octavia herself beginning to feel uneasy with the guard before them. “The station manager here informed us that the train she boarded was a departure for Appleloosa. Unfortunately, we have no means to arrive there ourselves as the track has vanished. Something I am certain you are aware of.”

Concealing his eyes was the best idea he had on this day. If he hadn't, Vinyl would have taken notice to the change in emotions that glaringly showed in widened depths. If these two ponies contacted Canterlot, then he would have to return to Gold Mine swiftly to alert him. The pay he was to receive for information or bringing Eclipse would remove his gambling debts two times over. Careful attention was given to his breathing, but that didn't stop his left hind leg from thumping his hoof against the ground. “I will need you both to escort me to the Guard Barracks near the ramparts. We have specialized unicorns stationed there who help in search and rescue for the forest that maybe able to lend a hoof to this incident.” A hoof was waved to the waitress and the cook who simply ignored it. “Come, I know a shortcut through the woods. It will be faster and time is of the essence.”

The guard was given several paces distance before Octavia and Vinyl came to all fours to join him. Vinyl remained quiet still, trying to analyze the strange feeling she was getting from him. She would protect Octavia should something come amiss, but they'd follow because there was some belief that he was a proper guard. The woods appeared unnerving even in broad daylight. Despite the aching feeling that they should not venture further, Vinyl lead Octavia behind the guard into a barely visible path.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1:35 PM. A blessing and a disaster had both arisen within a very short time. It appeared that the Philharmonica household had contacted the station before Iron had arrived. When presenting Celestia's seal to the chief, he was already prepared to give information on Octavia and Vinyl's location to him. The two mares had done the right thing and gone to the guards. The Guard Captain learned quickly that they reported Eclipse missing, somewhere in the direction of Appleloosa. Further questioning, along with placing the two in protective custody, was necessary so his next place was the home of Octavia's parents. This was a blessing for Iron. He was no closer to finding Eclipse, but he now had a better direction of where to go, and two witnesses in wait.

Then the disaster struck. Iron Mind was now leaving the Philharmonica household. The occupants informed him that Octavia and Vinyl had already left to make visit with a guard from Canterlot. Iron knew too well that the Chief would have heard about any appointment before Iron set out to reach the Philharmonica house. A quick look over the note and he was prepared to leave the cozy home to speed off to find the two mares.

Shrugging off questions from one of Octavia's fathers and Vinyl's mother over the disappearance of Eclipse, whom they called 'finally we have a grandfilly', Iron broke into full gallop to reach the cafe. The broken bones, the bandaged cuts would not stop him from his path. If this false witness meeting with the mares was sent by Gold Mine, he would have another two dead on his hooves to deal with. Gritting back wanting to sob from damaged nerves screaming for him to stop, Iron continued forth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1:45 PM. Blood. Vinyl Scratch fell upon four knees, one hoof raised coated in the thick substance. The blow came without warning to the back of her head. A blunt object, perhaps a stone, flung against her cranium from an, at the time, unknown assailant. As a sack of potatoes she fell against the ground raising up enough to rub where the offending instrument hit. Ruby shades had been shattered beneath a pony's hoof. Vinyl couldn't raise her head high enough yet to look around her. Everything was spinning even if she wasn't physically. Voices surrounded her, non she recognized nor did she care to recognize. It took hearing Octavia scream to finally bring her head to rise.

There were six ponies in all. Giant black hoods covered their heads with only holes for their eyes. Whispers were about between them. The guard was no where to be seen. Vinyl was right to have assumed he was up to no good. When the white pony attempted to stand, she was knocked back down by a volley of hooves bouncing against her sides.

“Vinyl!” Octavia shouted. They were too far from anypony else to find aid through screaming. Two ponies came towards the cellist but she would not be so easily taken. She turned to fight trying to reach Vinyl. Twisting to buck her hind legs managing to dislocate the jaw of one pony, but the other five tackled her own just the same.

“This one has spunk!” One laughed gleefully pressing his hooves against Octavia's flank. “We got told to take care of any witnesses. Take this feisty one to the shed and we'll make sure marshmallow has an untimely visit with a pack of wolves.”

A unicorn's magic pulled against Octavia's hind quarters letting her upper body drop against the ground. Fore hooves dug against the ground trying to dig down to make it harder for the unicorn to pull her. It wouldn't do much use when a pegasus came up near her head smacking her face with his hoof. A gash formed across her cheek letting red flow freely. “Vinyl!” The shout came again. The pegasus struck again, this time rendering Octavia unconscious with the second hard blow. Octavia's upper body dropped dragging across the soft soil.

Red. Red was all that Vinyl could see through her crimson eyes. The sight of Octavia bleeding, the sensation of pain from the back of her skull, and the desire she felt burning inside of her, “Get your hooves off my Octy.” Vinyl did not shout. She did not raise her voice. Her tone gave threat bringing the other four ponies back towards her.

“Guess someone wants to die sooner than later.” The one who had been speaking laughed down, leaning his head closer to the white pony's face. “Don't worry. You'll see her again in some place Celestia permits.”

Another blow went to Vinyl's head bringing her teeth to snap against her tongue. Metallic taste rolled across the buds and she pushed forward. Like a wild animal she lunged for the pony in front of her tackling him to the ground. White horn glowed gray pulling the attacker's legs back against the ground. She began to swing downwards pounding the bottom of her hooves against his face and neck. One of the other assailants attempted to grab her from her back, but was met with the back side of her hoof for their trouble.

“Over here!” Came an unfamiliar shout. The bodies of the other two ponies went flying from a combination of brute strength and unicorn magic. Solid oak trees breaking their momentum leaving them to crash to the ground unconscious. The pony that had attempted to stop Vinyl earlier was accosted next tumbling him down besides the pummeling DJ. He as well wouldn't be returning to the fight.

That was what it took for Vinyl to finally cease her assault on the pony beneath her. Hooves lifted near her face staring at the red coating them. Crimson spheres gazed down at her victim. It would take months before anypony would be able to tell who that face was. Immediately, she turned to the new voice. On wobbly hind legs she raised up prepared to fight back against him if she must do so. The blow to her head had taken hold once again as she lost balance.

The ground wouldn't be met. Instead this new pony caught her, easing her to rest away from the others. “Vinyl Tracks?” The masculine voice asked.

“Who's asking? Where's Octy? Octy!” Vinyl thrust her body up. She was ready but her head wasn't. Sensations of nausea and dizziness flooded her brain bringing her back down.

“My name is Iron Mind. I am from the Royal Guard. I rushed here as quickly as I could.” Iron explained calmly. One of them had to stay calm. He believed that she would listen, if only a short bit, while he grazed her body with magic to try and close any minor injuries. If he had to, there was preparation to draw Celestia's crest from his coat. “Octavia Philharmonica was supposed to be with you? Did they take her? Did you see which way?”

Vinyl slammed her front hooves against the ground. Once more she attempted to raise up, but Iron forced her down just long enough for his magic to finish its work. “Octy! They took Octy!”

“Please, we will go after her, but running blind will not do us good. Which way did they take her?” Iron spoke slowly eying the DJ. He did not expect her to be this emotional but was prepared for anything she may do.

“This...This way.” Deep breaths raised her chest upwards than back down. Though she stumbled, Iron aided her in her motion to stand. Iron followed directly behind with Vinyl leading the way. No regard was given to his current state once more as they galloped through the woods, following a thin drag mark on the ground.

The four ponies were left to either be victims of the wilderness or to awaken. If Iron had removed their masks he would have recognized them as those who attacked Princess Luna and himself. Unfortunately, this information would never come to be.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1:55 PM. The aforementioned shed was more like a poor pony's home than any place for gardening tools. Rotting wood and vines made up the walls of the exterior. The interior was nothing but 3 empty rooms one leading to the next. The pegasus thus remained outside, while the unicorn brought Octavia to the farthest room. He wanted privacy for his time with the cellist.

Magic released Octavia letting her slide down to the ground. A broken door shut behind the unicorn. Mind filled with horrible thoughts and dark ideas, he hadn't seen such a proper pony close to him in some time. “Don't worry, music butt, this will get good real soon.”

“Papa taught me not to be a victim.” With that, the unicorn felt a strong set of hind hooves buck against his back. The soft, rotten wood of the door broke against the force of his body vaulting forward. Octavia had woken moments before they came to the shed. Lessons her father had taught her told her to remain quiet, remain calm, and play dead until an opening could be found. From there, either fight or flee, just get away.

Coughing, feeling a hoof to her head then to her cheek, the gray pony turned her thoughts to Vinyl. She could run to her own safety but finding the DJ was the first thought that came to her. Octavia twisted to face the door. Soft hoof steps went around the fallen body of the unicorn, praying by some miracle she had rendered him unable to catch her and that the pegasus wasn't aware of her escape. The approach to the front door was swiftly through the two small rooms. She bit back a yelp when the front door was thrown open. Much to her amazement the pegasus was not there, but rather two ponies in black suit jackets and sunglasses was before her.

“Mr. Mine. It does appear that the intruders brought another pony with them.” One of the two spoke behind him. Octavia cowered back, not from fear but preparedness to bolt past the two.

Behind the ponies came a third. Gold Mine came forward gazing past Octavia to the unicorn she had thwarted, to the pegasus, then finally to the raven haired mare. Her hair was a mess with specks of dirt and stray locks of hair poking out in random directions.

Octavia inspected Gold Mine in return. Nothing was out of place from his soil brown coat, to his golden sun mane. His business attire adorning his upper body going towards a white color rather than a traditional black. “Contact the authorities and allow them to know we have several trespassers and a pony who will be needing help.” A new sound took the four ponies to look back.

It was the sound of hammering hooves bringing Vinyl and Iron Mind to the same scene that the others had arrived at. Tension formed the moment that Iron and Gold set eyes onto one another. The guards stood ready, letting Vinyl pass as she rushed to Octavia's side. Iron read the situation, and against his judgment to just strike Gold Mine while he had the change, the guard captain came towards the two guards and Mine. “Thank you for your assistance. I assume you helped free Miss Philharmonica.”

The mares embraced with a quick reunion. Tears flowed freely from Octavia, but Vinyl did what she could to only let a few stray drops past her defenses. Dizziness was still abound clogging Vinyl's head. Octavia recognized the swaying motions of her mate, so she kept her forelegs around Vinyl as they helped one another out of the broken down shed. Their hoof steps were cautious when coming back to the stallion that came to Iron.

“It would not do me well to have mares dead on my property. My bodyguards will round up these two vagrants and have them taken to the police station. There is no more need for the three of you to be on my land.” Gold Mine turned his head to escape his son's stare. Placing a hoof to his mouth he gave a moment of consideration. The faster these three were off his property the faster he could make his own appointments. He motioned for one of his guards. “Get a cart and help these three to wherever they need to go. Just make it in due haste.” The one guard bowed his head then galloped in a quick run down a well established path. Gold Mine nodded to his second guard. “Come, let us be on our way back.”

“Gold Mine.” Iron spoke up. Straightening his posture, Iron looked towards his father for a reaction. Much went through his mind. He wanted to ask him about Eclipse, accuse him of tampering with evidence, killing witnesses, and countless other things that were levying over Gold's head. Lips parted to speak out, finally coming up with the right words. Words that he would not get the chance to say.

“Gold Mine? Mother bucking Gold Mine?” Vinyl shouted out. All eyes turned to her and laid witness to Octavia struggling to keep the white pony from moving from her side. “You're Gold Mine? You're the one who broke Nightlight's horn? Hurt her?” The DJ growled pushing her hooves to try and move the gray pony. Octavia held on for dear life. “You bastard! Yeah she told us all about the crap you pulled!” The cellist finally managed to shove a hoof into Vinyl's mouth.

Gold Mine looked back at the two mares. Iron Mind moved to stand between them and Gold. “I am afraid I do not know of any Nightlight nor do I appreciate these accusations after I went through the trouble of rescuing one you are associated with. Get off my property before I have you three arrested as well. Be grateful I am still going to have a cart waiting for you.” He smirked a devil's expression. “See to it that they get there quickly.” He motioned the other guard. Vinyl mumbled out a curse or two before sheathing her crimson eyes behind exhausted lids.

Octavia sighed feeling Vinyl slump against her. The unicorn wasn't asleep or unconscious, no the blow to her head once again rendered her a dizzy mess. She had a concussion no doubt. Tired expression came to move from Vinyl to Iron as he pushed his head and neck beneath Vinyl hoisting her onto his back. If only the mares knew of the damage in his own body. “Thank you.” Octavia managed to whisper coming up besides Iron. The pair would watch Gold finally trot out of sight, then themselves beginning to follow behind the guard.

It was a short trot back to the road, as promised the first guard to leave was there waiting with a old pony stallion and a cart attached to his waist. With no help from either guards, Iron used his magic to hoist Vinyl first into the back of the wooden trolley, then used his hooves to aid Octavia. The guard captain took a moment to look to each guard. His gaze asked a simple question to them of where they expected their souls to go when all was said and done. Unable to see behind their shades, he received no answer.

The old pony began to move once his three passengers were settled. Inquiring about his destination, the old pony turned to take them back into town and the Philharmonica house. The weight of his pain finally came down on Iron bringing him to collapse on the back end of the cart. Octavia sat, right side up, with Vinyl's head on her lap. A hoof absently brushed across the electric blue mane of her lover. The silence was deafening, until Vinyl gained some control over her senses.

Peering at Iron, Vinyl spoke in a soft tone. “So, who the heck is this guy supposed to be?” She coughed softly trying to sit up, but urged back down by Octavia's loving hooves. “You come running up, save me, known Octy and mine's names... so who're you?”

“Vinyl, be polite.” Octavia scolded. Even if the three of them were laying injured and exhausted in a cart, she wouldn't have the DJ embarrass her in front of the stallion who may have saved their lives. “But I to wonder who you are, sir.” Violate eyes turned to Iron now.

Iron Mine had let himself rest on bent legs beneath his belly. It seemed to be the only position right then that didn't make him want to cry out. These two mares had been tending to Eclipse and by all accounts had taken her into their family. If Iron wanted to learn about Eclipse from them, then they would need to be confident with him. Through clenched teeth, he sucked in air. Shuttering it back out and expelling some pain, the captain began. “My name is Captain Iron Mind of Celestia's Personal Royal Guard.” This brought a startled look from both mares. “Months ago, the residence of Gold Mine in Fillyton burned down revealing where he kept a pony. Evidence collected at the time suggested the pony had been kept there for many years.” He trained his visions from the two mares, choosing to stare at the forest and trees they passed. “Gold Mine's wife perished in the fire. I was asked to head the investigation for locating the pony kept in the cellar due to Gold Mine being my father. It was believed that I could locate the pony since I know more of how he works than anypony else who may investigate.”

“Wait... Wait...Wait...” Vinyl began thumping a hoof against the cart's floor. “So you're that bucking bastard's kid? And that would make you...”

“We came to learn that the pony, a filly, was named Eclipse. My investigation lead me to Manehatten and to you both through witnesses. Eclipse, who at first introduced herself as Cursed Eclipse, according to witnesses is an important witness to Gold's crimes.”

“Captain Iron Mind,” The gray pony held tighter around Vinyl's neck but was gentle of where the rock struck, “If you are Gold Mine's son...”

“Yes, Miss Eclipse could very well be my sister by all accounts and evidence.” Iron hung his head low.

A surge of emotion and energy sprung Vinyl straight from Octavia's lap closing the very short distance between herself and Iron. She pulled her right leg back throwing it forward giving the fully effect of her hoof slamming against Iron's jaw. “Vinyl!” The DJ heard Octavia give a small shout then felt familiar forelegs around her waist pulling her back from the injured captain.

“You heard him! He's that guy's kid! How do we know he's here because of something he's told to do and not because he's trying to help that golden maned prick!” The white pony fell back against her marefriend once more flinching. Her wrist hurt from the blow she gave Iron. Vinyl would have to hand it to him later, he had a hard jaw.

Magic illuminated a point in Iron's coat drawing out Celestia's seal for the two ponies to see. It was unique with the placement of gemstones to form the Princess' cutie mark. The pattern the stones glowed was impossible to mimic without the Sun Goddess' magic imbued in them. “I assure you... I am who I say I am.” Blood dripped from the corners of his mouth. Yet another injury he would need to tend to later. Iron would have retaliated in a normal situation for the blow. The DJ had every right to hit him though. “I assure you I do not wish to give any aid to that stallion. He is an abomination.”

“Then why?” It was Octavia's turn to ask a question. Moving a hoof to clear stray tears, she watched the captain for his reaction. “Why did any of this occur? Why did you not know she was down there to begin with? She told us you would kill her if she ever escaped. She's convinced you want her dead!” Scorn. The emotion radiated from the gray pony.

“If I had known that her birth had actually occurred, I would have done everything in my power to get her away from that place. Until I saw him in the hospital shortly after the fire, I had not seen him in neigh twenty years.” Truth spoke in his words as he came to look to the mares again. “If I had known of her, this would never have happened. I cannot change what I did not do or what I did not know, but I can change what now holds for her future.”

Relenting, Octavia glanced down to Vinyl then back to Iron. “Then, what now?”

“The police chief who sent your parents' letter to Canterlot informed me that Eclipse is thought to be in Appleloosa. Guards will be sent there by airship to, by all hope, retrieve her. I apologize but I must bring both of you with me to Canterlot for your safety. Gold Mine is a ruthless individual. We do not know the extent he will go to cover up his misdeeds and both of you knowing Eclipse only makes two more obstacles. You met with a pony before, what happened?”

“He claimed he was from Canterlot, but was not aware that Eclipse had boarded the wrong train, as the letter explained.” Octavia began.

“Yeah, thought it was really weird and all. So I tried to keep an eye on him. Darn if he wasn't making sure nopony could see his eyes or anything else to give him off. Lime green guy.” The DJ chipped in leaning her head back nuzzling Octavia's belly with her nose.

“He had asked why she wasn't with us. We told him where she was and...” It occurred to her then, both hooves reaching to her muzzle and placed over her mouth. “You do not think that he was there because of...”

“In all truth, Gold Mine now knows where Eclipse is as well as we do. For now, let us get both of you to a hospital.” Iron sighed leaning his head back letting his black mane fall over the side of the carriage. It still mostly clung to his head from dried blood but he cared not right then.

“No. Buck no. We're going to Canterlot, getting on one of those airships, and getting Nightlight.” Vinyl tried to situp, pushing her hooves against the trolly floor, but again was pushed down by Octavia.

Fighting a determined DJ was not something that Iron wanted to do. They could argue for hours but getting her to relent would be a fool's errand, especially if Octavia felt the same as Vinyl did. “Vinyl, you may have a concussion or worse. We need to get to the hospital...” This surprised Iron. Octavia was indeed the sensible one of the pair.

“No, Octy, just no. I'll be fine... you're fine... we're all fiiinnee...” Vinyl's words slurred as she slumped back on Octavia's lap. “Whoa, where did the stars come from.”

“Fine.” Iron relented seeing no other choice. “We will visit Miss Octavia's parents' home then immediately go to the airship dock. I have transportation waiting for us there. Once we reach Canterlot, since there will be time before we depart, each of us will visit the Royal Infirmary. Until then, do not let Miss Tracks fall asleep. Also, am I to assume Nightlight is Eclipse?”

“Yes,” Octavia replied giving a soft smile, “Vinyl gave her the name because of her eyes.”

“It sounds like it fits nicely.”

The three settled back to rest for the remainder of the cart ride. The cellist took it upon her self to smack Vinyl whenever she closed her eyes for too long. Iron inquired about the time the two spent with Eclipse; the things the filly did with them, her likes, dislikes, and other things not essential to his case. Granted, he also asked of anything she may have told them; from her broken horn to the time she was with Gold. It was a fruitful conversation allowing Iron to learn much of his potential sibling. Octavia answered the bulk of the questions. Halfway through the trip, Vinyl had entered a drunken state of random babble. The DJ would no longer contribute directly to what Iron and Octavia said but instead spoke in random words and revealed embarrassing things about intimate moments she and Octavia had. At this rate, Iron was worried that the cellist would only injury her further but was surprised at the restraint she had. It was a peaceful trip back into town, a cooling off for things to come.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

2:30 PM. Handy Candy once again stood in Gold Mine's office. She observed a lime green pony leave before her with a sack of bits balanced on his flank. The armor he wore he must have been a guard she decided. Not daring to try and sit again, she simply stood at attention waiting for the brown pony to speak. Handy shook from a mixture of worry and fright. Her beak rattling as nerves

Gold was seated behind his desk as he seemed to always be during these encounters. He turned, facing the trembling pink griffin. Hooves clicked together before him, resting his knees onto the solid wood desk. “This will be a simple assignment for you, Handy. You will even get to go home to that pony you love so dearly. Apparently, our runaway has made it to Appleloosa. The pony I hired to get this information gave me some other tidbits as well. So, you are to go back to Ponygold, keep an eye on the road there. There are two ways for her to return to the life she had gained when she ran away. A ship in Las Pegasus or the road past Ponygold. Now. Go. A few of my hired ponies will be there in a few days to help with the watch.”

The sound of talons tapping the wood floors and the door closing were all that Gold heard after he turned his back to the griffin swiveling in his chair to face the window. There were now two new obstacles to contend with. He had their names but nothing more. It was of little matter, anything he did not know could change within hours.

Attention was given when the door opened again. One of the bodyguards came forth standing in front of the desk. “Sir?” He asked lowering his glasses enough to give an unrestricted view of the desk and Gold.

“On the next Airship send some ponies to Las Pegasus to wait for the runaway. They do not need to search the city, just keep an eye at the airport for a pony matching her description. As before, capture her and take her to the designated place.” The guard nodded slowly. Gold raised a hoof dismissing him after his orders. Casting a look out the window, down at the road leading to his house, he observed a young, pegasus mare start her way up to the door. He had to hand it to the guards, they certainty fulfilled his requests quickly. This one looked like she will be fun to play with later. “Excellent. The new maid has arrived.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

5:00 PM. The trio of ponies were en route to Canterlot aboard Fancy Pants' very own airship. Fancy Pants himself was waiting after receiving Iron's letter. He fancied himself a pilot and was garbed in an aviator's helmet fit with goggles and flight jacket. No better pony to fly them to Canterlot than the owner of the ship its self. A full medical staff had been on standby waiting for them on the ship to treat any injuries until they could reach the castle infirmary. Fancy informed Iron that he wouldn't have brought the staff, but a reminder of Iron's recklessness by Split had him choose otherwise.

Before arriving at the airship, Vinyl and Octavia had to say their sudden goodbyes to their parents. Iron was offered, and graciously accepted, a shower while the mares collected their luggage. Octavia's papa and Vinyl's mother were caught peaking on the good Captain which found them in temporary hot water by their respective spouses. Through hugs, sobs, and tears, Iron promised to protect them as he would the princess. No further harm would come to them and they would be returned to live their lives safely once the trouble had passed. Octavia's papa and Vinyl's mother, however, also warned that if their believed adopted granddaughter was not returned as well Iron would be set upon by their rage.

They had been inflight for an hours time. From Trottingham to Canterlot it was a ten hour train trip or a three hour flight by airship. Fancy Pants' airship was a modern ship with every modern luxury invention to suite the needs of any passenger that may come. Vinyl simply found the relaxation of hard alcohol and sleep to be the only one she needed.

Octavia found herself wandering around the short halls and small rooms of the airship. She was not as badly injured as Vinyl nor Iron, but found her mind filled with too many thoughts simply to rest in a bed or next to her marefriend. Laughter caught her ears twitching them in response. She followed the sounds straight to the cockpit, appearing more of a lounge than a traditional cockpit, to find Iron sitting on a velvet sofa, his upper body wrapped tightly with white bandage, while Fancy stood on his hind legs at the wheel. A snifter of brandy and a bottle was set near each pony, their magic raising their glasses to take short sips during pauses of their conversation.

Fancy was the first to notice Octavia's arrival in the spacious cabin. A warm, charming smile offered as he waved a hoof for her to come join them. “Miss Philharmonica, how nice of you to join us. I was just telling my good friend, Iron, that his wife would just love to know why he had been frolicking around the forest with two lovely mares.”

Expressionless, Iron scoffed at the idea while taking a deep sip of his brandy. He could not hold the attitude long before breaking into laughter. “Ah, she would probably ask me why I did not collect local fauna for her experiments then worry about me doing anything untoward.”

“Have you known each other long?” The cellist could not believe the banter being exchanged between the two. Fancy Pants, one of the richest ponies in Equestria, conversing with the Captain of Celestia's Guard as if they had been long friends. She came towards the couch Iron was situated on. The guard captain shifted himself to give her room to lay herself down as a proper pony should.

“Iron and I? Why yes, my dear. He and I shared a dorm while we attended Canterlot's University.” The unicorn spoke up brushing a hoof across his mustache. “I was the best stallion at his wedding.”

A hoof was placed to her lips. “My word. I would not have imagined.” Octavia whispered glancing to Iron. “So, he is married? I have not known him for but a few hours but he does not come across as a pony to be wed.”

“Hah! See, Iron? You need to take Split's advice and become a bit more approachable.” Fancy's horn lit bringing a third snifter, filled partially with an aged brandy, to Octavia.

“I believe I am quite approachable when I am not on duty. But, Miss Octavia, I am curious why you are not resting. You and your marefriend went through the ordeal today. Any normal pony would be exhausted or traumatized, but here you are to enjoy a good drink with two ponies.” A kind smile brushed over his lips.

There was a long pause from the gray mare. Questions had been floating in her mind, but she withheld for worry if she was in her place to ask them or not. The snifter was placed against the crook of Octavia's ankle holding it in place with bent hoof. The alcoholic liquid graced her tongue rolling down her throat. She sighed contently feeling a bit of courage flourish from the simple drink. “Then, if you consider your self not on duty now and approachable, might I ask a question?”

“Of course.”

“I have met a many pony through the concerts and parties. Not all of them are what I would consider to be good ponies, but never have I heard of such cruelty as what Eclipse had told Vinyl and myself. To break a foal's horn while blaming her for an act she could not have wrought. What would drive a pony to such depths of lunacy? Did it surprise you to learn that he broke her horn?”

A troubling question presented its self. Fancy chose to remove himself from this conversation for the time being. This was something that the unicorn knew all about from previous talks with Iron, but it was not his place to answer for his close friend.

Iron pushed himself to sit up with his upper body hunched forward. The smile he once bore became a cold smirk as he focused his stare to drill into the ground. “My father was never raised to be such a pony. My grandfather was the kindest stallion I have ever known, aside from Fancy here. The one time my grandfather physically punished him was after Gold used his magic to hold a cat up by its tail I was told. No, my father became such a cruel pony, as my grandfather spoke, because of the condemning of others.” Body moved back pressing against the soft cushion of the back rest. Lids draped over silver pools focusing back on the thoughts of old. A leg moved rubbing across his ribs. “As you know Equestria is partially democratic and partially feudal. Any caste system was mostly done away with many hundreds of years ago.” Another sip of brandy moistened his tongue. “Princess Celestia and now Princess Luna are the only members of the royal family who's word is law. Every other is held to the same laws and standards as the rest of us regardless of title. This, however, did not stop the wealthiest of ponies to create their own system amongst themselves. Well, I should correct myself. This holds true for many groups, organizations, or kinds. There will always be ponies who feel the need to bring themselves a form of self superiority by looking down on others or creating cliques that only their 'kind' can be a part of.”

The last statement release a nerve of guilt through Octavia. There was truth to what he said. While she may not be boorish, insulting, or look down directly upon the pony, she did see her form of music at times above some of the random beats that Vinyl may come up with. She still did not look down directly on the pony unless that pony did so themselves. Even if she did not enjoy the music, such as with her DJ lover's, she was willing to recognize and see the talent that came from the individual. She looked on to Iron listening still.

“At my father's private school, the wealthy sent their foal to gain an education, proper upbringing and etiquette. Most of the ponies who attended during my father's time were from families who's wealth went back for generations. Any pony who's wealth came began with their fathers or grandfathers were looked down on for not being 'pure' or 'perfect' enough. If their families were meant to be wealthy they would have been ages ago, they believed.” Iron sought to take in a breath, the remainder of his brandy brought to his lips then the snifter set aside on a small table. “My father, much as Fancy here, was only a second generation to the elite. They snubbed him. He, much like other ponies in his situation, were set upon with cruel pranks and taunts. They found fault with everything he did or attempted to ruin him when he rose above them. None of my Grandfather's lessons of honesty and generosity held. Instead, Gold became a bitter pony seeking to outshine all those who mocked him. He became obsessed with wealth and perfection.”

A pony's childhood can shape a pony's entire future. Octavia understood this all too well. Vinyl had her share of bullies who tormented her over her eyes and Octavia dealt with unicorns who shunned her for her talent without the use of magic nor wings. A sigh escaped her bringing a temporary pause from Iron. He looked to her with concern, but she waved her hoof for him to continue.

“Once he graduated and after attending a university, he began with his planing. He married mother due to her inheritance and beauty. With the land and money Grandfather gave to him, he began amassing his fortune. He sought out the families that taunted him, began to buy up their wealth whenever they faltered. But, it was never enough, he had to also have perfection.” There, Iron slid his hooves down besides him. One resting on the leg rest besides him, his hoof rub ominously across the fabric. “If Mother changed her appearance or dressed in a manner he deemed ill suited, he would strike her. If he failed, he blamed her. When she gave birth to me, it only added to his plans. I was pushed to the same limits mother was to be perfect. I was to obtain high marks in school and sports, speak in an established manner, and ensure that no one ever knew of Gold's actions upon my mother or my self.” Iron grimaced as he leaned forward placing pressure on his ribs. His forelegs raised up, hooves moving his hair, with the aid of magic, to part it in certain areas. “Look.”

Octavia glanced at Fancy who motioned with his head for her to gaze at Iron's scalp. The white unicorn knew what to expect. Violet eyes traced across Iron's scalp finding what appeared to be round burn marks. Some were dark and deep, as others were light and shallow. Two hooves set to her mouth gasping at the sight. “Are those...?”

“Yes. Father would never punish me in a manner that could easily be seen. He had a preference for heating bits and burning my scalp.” Leaning back, he allowed his black mane to come back over hiding the marks. “When I grew to a teenager I challenged to tell finally. He simply laughed and said if I did, mother would in turn feel the brunt of it all. I suppose that answers your first question, and no, it did not surprise me he would do that to her. He is a monster capable of much.”

Silence broke through now. Iron had no more to tell and Octavia did not know how to take all of this. Did she show sympathy for Iron's foalhood? Or discuss Gold's own issues? Perhaps she should condemn Gold further for his actions knowing that no such foalhood would give him justification for the acts he brought onto his family. Octavia only found herself on the verge of tears. A hoof held to her mouth, and the other cradling her belly as nausea began to appear. It truly was too much to take in, but she held a feeling it would be when she asked.

Not wanting to have any of this, Fancy Pants decided to break the mood. A quick change in subject to perhaps something more humorous would be the right tone for the dark atmosphere that clouded the cockpit. “I dare say, Iron Mind, a good friend of mine, Miss Rarity, had recently sold a number of dresses to Upper Crust. It appears that Jetset was caught wearing a number of the garments by his maid!”

It was a proper mood breaker. Iron and Octavia's heads shot over to stare at Fancy Pants. Octavia knew of the two ponies, she had performed for a number of their parties, and this bit of gossip drew her to begin giggling uncontrollably.

Iron simply shook his head brandishing a broad grin. “You would think after the times he was caught during our time at the University he would have just learned to accept this part of him.”

The warm inviting environment that Octavia came into had returned. For the remainder of the flight amusing stories were exchanged amongst the three from foalhood to more recent times. Many of the stories involving Vinyl, the two stallions could not believe, but Octavia would insist it all to be truth. It was a peaceful end to a tormenting day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Cowhachipi mountains rose up separating the two deserts that houses Appleloosa and Las Pegasus. On the only flat area of the mountain, nestled in its heart, the town of Cowhachipi resided. It was a moderate sized town spread out far and wide. On the southern end of town, heading towards Las Pegasus, a stage had been setup over night. A red curtain was set over the front with spotlight shinning across the fabric.

Behind the curtain, away from pony eyes, a mare stood with paint brush in mouth. Carolina blue paint was spread out across every inch of the mare's body save for her mane and tail. A crude, wizard's hat adorned with stars rested on her head, and a star struck cape over her back, with string holding it against her sides. Odd lumps persisted on being seen on either side of her. The mare was able to keep her white hair was it was after she finished painting herself. No need to dye what didn't need to be dyed. Her hooves slid through the darkness pulling a cardboard unicorn horn up to rest on her forehead. A thin strap attached to opposite sides of the horn's base pulled down beneath her chin.

She breathed deeply moving to the center of the curtain. Her hoof pressed a small button that followed with the sounds of weak fireworks outside. There was anticipation for hooting and hollering but only heard coughs and children asking 'is that all'? Then, the pony bite back a moment of stage fright. With hind legs thrust forward she lept out from behind the curtain. “Behold! For I am the Great and Powerful Trixie!”