• Published 21st May 2012
  • 1,128 Views, 35 Comments

Cursed Eclipse - Across Equestria - AImostpure



The third story of the Cursed Eclipse Saga.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,128

End of a Night

Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic and personal protege to Princess Celestia, considered herself to be a bright and intelligent pony. She memorized and developed spells with ease. She knew the history of Star Swirl the Bearded and other unicorn mages of days past. When a task is brought to her, she remained focused on her goal seeking to learn all there was and complete it with precision and grace. But, for as much as she did know, there was much she did not. The tale tonight showed just how little she knew of the history of the ponies beyond the founding of Equestria and the pain her mentor hides from everypony's eyes.

Eclipse's tower was a step back in time. The first room was decorated similar to the portraits in the long walkway. A hearth burned with magic fire, a plush rug rolled out underhoof, and walls of tomes and books filled the circular dwelling. Immediately to the right began stone steps that ran counter clockwise up the wall creating a spiral. Everything was kept clean and perfect. No doubt Celestia used an old spell to repel the decay of age.

Besides Twilight, Princess Cadance shared a very interested gander. It must have come as a surprise to the Goddess of Love to know the memorial was beneath her nose but had no knowledge of it. She stepped forward letting her hooves come in contact with the rub. The fibers tickled her under hoof. Material used must not have been native to Equestria. It did not feel plant based but rather animal. The times of old were indeed a chaotic period where some hunting still took place.

“WHERE IS IT!” A voice robbed them from silence's unnerving hold. It was Luna reverting back to using the Royal Canterlot voice a habit she worked so hard to overcome. Thunder, brought on by a volley of hoof stomps, crashed overhead. It could have been two ponies by the constant motions but a single rattled pony could do the same. Without a word spoken, a decision conveyed through body language, Twilight and Cadance began the ascent up.

Twilight had walked up the towers of the castle many times. Some went upwards ten stories and as low as two. A sprinter's adrenaline always fueled her motions up these steps bringing her to her destination with little energy lost. This felt different. The growing anxiety of unknown variables plagued her mind. Each step was cautious and careful listening to the sounds of falling objects and crashing wood. Round and round Twilight and Cadance climbed the circular stone steps. A pause came only to look upon each floor they arrived at.

A study had been the design for the second floor. It was far more modern than the first floor. A desk beneath the window, a globe nestled between two text book filled shelves, a type writer on a smaller desk, and paintings of landscapes. Twilight made a mental note to come back to the second floor when she had the chance and permission. She could only imagine what kind of text books had been placed and from how long ago. The third floor was for storage; chests and shelves in every nook and cranny. If they were full or empty they couldn't tell.

For the first time since they began their climb, a real pause was taken at the fourth floor. It was the bathing area of the tower. Crafted from marble and smooth granite, near the wide window, an alicorn sized bathtub. Embedded in the floor, it was encompassed by four pegasus statues. Each statue was reeled back on its hing legs and lips puckered. To the left a vanity with a large mirror pressed to the wall. No doubt its drawers were filled with cosmetics and perfumes. On the right was a wooden, door that parodied a swinging saloon door. To offset the glow of the sun, matte colors were chosen so the glare wouldn't blind somepony leaving the tub. A momentary glance from Twilight let her see Cadance biting her bottom lip. Envy shinned in the Princess of Love's eyes wishing she had known such a wonderful place existed.

Another floor and another set of steps scaled, the fourth floor awaited. Ceiling was set higher than the rest of the floor. Gray walls circled from one side of the entrance to the other with nay a window cut into the stone. At what would be the corners of each room, glowing blue crystals hovered just above stone pedestals. All eyes went to the center of the room next. A statue towered high reaching straight to the top of the stone ceiling. It was the reason for the taller walls. The statue was a familiar one due to the illusions of earlier.

From stone, Tenebris was chiseled in his mighty glory. All eight legs were positioned flat, one behind the other, on the ground around him. He sat in a position to guard. His head hung down, but he still stared forward. No matter which way a pony moved as long as they were in front of the statue the eyes would follow them. A twinkling plaque fastened was fastened at the base. Twilight approached cautiously to read.

Sleep well, Faithful Protector.
You were a friend until the end.
A guardian during danger.
A companion during storms.
Your pain is at an end.
Your sorrow is no more.
Rest now, Faithful Protector.
Your sacrifice will never be forgotten

Twilight read the inscription a second time. She thought back to the things Luna and Celestia told them in the walkway. Tenebris had died of a broken heart. He was Eclipse's closest and dearest friend. Now, he is immortalized in stone as a proper remembrance. Bowing her head in respect for the faithful protector, Twilight returned to the stairs to come to the next floor.

This floor returned the height of the walls to its original state. Much like the previous floor, this room laid mostly bare. In each corner pedestals held glowing, white gemstones to illuminate the area. At its center a wide beam of light created a pillar shape. Looking closely, Twilight would see a gray crown, necklace, and hoof guards. It was obvious who they belonged to.

A bitter cold feeling struck Twilight staring at the pillar of light. How lonely was Princess Celestia when she saw these? First she lost Princess Eclipse and then Princess Luna. Did she do the same for Princess Luna? Twilight's thoughts made her feel empty. She had been wrapped up in the Celestia's happiness when Luna returned she never thought of the sadness she must have felt before. Twilight returned to Princess Cadance to make their final steps up the stairs. Her thoughts hanging heavy on her heart.

Finally reaching the top of the stairs, they were given the sight of a once beautiful room. A large, round canopy bed using dark blues and whites for colors at the center. Dressers, hoof crafted lamps, and framed pictures of paintings that must have originated from Eclipse's era decorated around the circular wall. Curtains over three windows and the balcony, glass door allowed just enough light to come through. It must have been a beautiful room until Luna and Celestia came to it this evening.

A Goddess of the Night rampage converted it into a catastrophe. Drapes were torn down, paintings were ripped down the middle, and any furniture that could be toppled had been. The culprit now laid at the center of the large round bed clutching a ragged straw doll between her forelegs. Luna's head laid forward resting on a pillow. What light came from the moon showed the remains of twinkling streams down her cheeks.

Celestia was not seen until Twilight and Cadance ventured further in. She stood on the balcony staring up at the sky unable to watch her sister's self destructive ways. If she had less control, she may have been helping her. Celestia refrained herself and simply allowed the wanton destruction to occur until Luna could find what she sought after; Eclipse old doll.

Cadance and Twilight split up. Cadance, wordlessly, went to Princess Luna. Crawling onto the bed she laid down next to her aunt. She felt such pain for Luna, unable to imagine how she was suffering. For this she did not speak but simply laid her neck cross ways onto Luna's. A simple sign to show she was there and she cared.

Twilight went to be next to her mentor stepping onto the balcony into the cold night. She tilted her head back staring up at the stars and the moon. A moon that once housed an imprisoned Nightmare Moon. Gradually Twilight's attentions went to Princess Celestia. All the words she wanted to say were jumbled and caught in her throat. A worry overtaking her wondering if anything she says could even make things better. Celestia was in a vulnerable place and Twilight's only wish was to remove her fears and sadness.

“Twilight.” Celestia's voice spoke just louder than a whisper. “I have something I need to request from you. Something in the near future.”

“Anything, Princess.” Twilight assured her.

“I feel I always put too much of a burden on you, Twilight. I ask so much but how often do I give back?” Celestia voice was laden with guilt.

“You've given me more than you realize, Princess.” Twilight's urged. She trotted to stand in front of Celestia staring up at her with adoration. Calmly she set her hoof to Celestia's foreleg. “If it wasn't for your tutelage, I would never have met my friends or discovered so many of the things I have. I wouldn't have had Cadance as my foalsitter, or know how much friendship means to me. You've given me more than I could ever repay in my lifetime.”

It would be the second time Twilight would see Celestia openly shed tears. The first was when Nightmare Moon was vanquished and Luna returned. Celestia's smile was radiant and pure as she looked down on her student. “Thank you, my dear dear student. Your words are a blessing to my heart.” Celestia lowered her head rubbing her neck to Twilight's.

Twilight craned her neck meeting Celestia's with ease. Stepping back she looked up at Celestia gently smiling. “What is it you wanted to ask me to do?”

Celestia sighed lowering her face to stare at the balcony beneath her. “When we do find Eclipse I am afraid we will not be able to simply bring her to the castle. The state of her memories is still in question. There is not any proof that she would ever regain her memories of the past. I fear we would only bring her stress to force being a princess upon her.”

Words of wisdom. Putting someone in a position of authority, no matter how minor, when they were unused to it could lead to disastrous results. Twilight nodded her head signaling her understanding.

“Until the situation is fully taken care of with Gold Mine, we cannot place Miss Octavia and Miss Vinyl Scratch in danger by sending her to live with them either,” Celestia continued, “I feel there is one place she would be safe and able to begin gradually readjusting, and that is with you and your friends, Twilight.”

Another task of importance. This was not to save Equestria, as Celestia has asked of Twilight before, but of a more personal matter. Celestia and Luna told Twilight what they knew of Eclipse's youth in the Mine Household. Luna's memories were still foggy but the picture painted was not pretty. Twilight momentarily felt her confidence lacking. What could she offer a filly that went through such a trauma. This led her to think of her friends.

Each of them had helped Twilight, and her helped them, with numerous problems and lessons. Every time they came out better ponies than when they were. Twilight became certain she wouldn't be doing this alone. Celestia must have put this also into consideration. The Elements of Harmony could and would help in every capacity that they could. Twilight's confidence became renewed knowing that her friend's would help her.

“Princess Celestia. You can count on me.” Twilight spoke with determination. A comforting hoof again set to a white leg. “I wont let you down.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A cold breeze blew through the streets of Las Pegasus. Discarded fast food wrappers, pages of newspapers, and articles of clothes danced on the currents of air. Despite being a city that never slept, there were still sections of it that saw sparse activity when the sun went down and the moon hung high in the sky. The Prim and Proper Boutique was no exception to this.

Outside, Spiral Flame and Color Copy trembled to keep on their hooves. An assortment of colorful boxes tied to their backs. Trixie exchanged a few parting words with Open Heart. Prim Rose once again apologized to Eclipse for the events of the night. She left a few details out while Color Copy and Spiral Flame were in ear shot.

A final promise of breakfast in the morning and hooves were waved. Four ponies left two at the boutique. Beneath a white glow Eclipse, Color Copy, Spiral Flame, and Trixie trotted down the street returning to Trixie's caravan.

Beneath a street light, five ponies stood watching the departure. The lead pony stared down at a crude drawing held on his hoof. Beneath it a brief description detailing shimmering hair, glowing eyes, and a broken horn. Smiling the pony looked to his compatriots nodding, “Looks like we found her. Time to get paid colts and fillies. Wait till she's alone then snatch her up.” He grinned chuckling softly.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment