• Published 15th Jun 2015
  • 470 Views, 2 Comments

Tales of Valor - Part 1: Through the Looking Glass - Scribble Script



A strange golden light shines through the night and a new pony arrives in Ponyville. Soon enough Twilight and her friends realize, there's something uncommon with this new arrival. And that something is after him...

  • ...
4
 2
 470

2: The New Pony

2nd: The New Pony

“… Right on ma doorstep, I tell ya. Anypony got a clue, who he is?”
The voice reached his consciousness like through cotton. A female voice, speaking with a broad, southern accent.
“Nopienope. Never seen him before”, a second female voice -a very cheery one- answered.
“And look at that scar. It’s so awesome!”
“I must admit, it imparts him quite an attractive touch of boldness.”

He couldn’t help to feel like being surrounded by a lot of others. It was time to look around for a bit. It took a great effort, but his eyelids began to flutter.
“Oh, oh, oh”, he heard the euphoric voice again. “He’s waking up! He’s waking up!”

Carefully, he opened his right eye; the left one, were said scar laid, he held tight shot. But as soon as he could see something, he quickly squinted his eyes again. Something big and very pink had filled his vision. The words unreal and frightening came to his mind.
He tried again and his right eye opened one more time. The pink something was still there and as his vision cleared a bit he realized that it was a pony. A mare with a really curly mane to be specific. Well, that was queer but not the queerest thing that had ever happened to him.

“Hello, you’re new. Y'see I've never saw you before and if I've never saw you before that means you're new, 'cause I know everypony, and I mean everypony in Ponyville!”, the pink mare began to chatter with incredible speed.

“C’mon let him breathe, willya?” the pony with the southern accent interrupted. She had a long blonde mane, sloppily bond together, and freckles.
Beside these two, there were four more ponies, in fact all standing around the bed he lay in. Two of them, one yellow with long, straight and light pink mane and the other cyan-blue with an extraordinarily rainbow-colored mane had wings, two of the others had a horn on their foreheads.

“Absolutely remarkable”, he muttered and shook his head. Then he sat up.
“Hmm, hooves…” he thought out loud. “Aw, yes, yes, noticed that problem before…”
He was confused, but on the other hand, hadn’t he always been a pony in a world of ponies? If he thought about it…

“Wait a sec”, the blonde Pony interrupted his trains of thought. She look more than a bit worried. “Did ya maybe hit yer head? I mean like really hard?”

“It might well be”, he admitted and sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. “I must admit, that I know not for sure what has happened to me.”

“Um, oookay”, the blonde pony drawled while her pink friend hopped up and down at the side of the bed. “Can ya at least tell us yer name?”

That was a very good question. Could he tell them his name? His memories were a big mess and remembering quite a few different names he must’ve had used over the years didn’t exactly help either. But in the end he decided, since one name was as good as the other, he could could come up with a fitting name.
“You may call me Valor Edge”, he said finally. The name sounded nice: Valor Edge the swordstallion. He literally jumped to his feet with new, fresh strength.
“At your service!”

“The name’s Applejack”, the blonde mare introduced herself an adjusted her wide-brimmed hat. Valor Edge bowed a little in front of each pony, as the introduced themselves one after another. First came the pink mare.

“Pinkie Pie”, she lilted.

Next came the lavender unicorn, although if it seemingly was hard for her to pull her attention from Valors sword that lay on the night desk. “I’m Twilight Sparkle”, she said.

The white unicorn with the elaborately styled, violet mane surprisingly returned the bow. “My name is Rarity. At your and your family’s service”, she then gave the correct reply to Valor’s greeting. “And I’m pleased to hear that the old etiquette still isn’t fully forgotten”, Rarity then added, smiling.

The pegasus with the rainbow-colored mane postured. “I am the incredible! Unique! Astonishing! Incredible! Rainbow Dash!”

“I think ye might have mentioned ‘incredible’ twice, Miss Dash”, Valor objected politely. But Rainbow Dash didn’t even for one second lose her self-confidence.

“Sure thing, that’s because I’m twice incredible!”

At last, Valor Edge turned to the second winged pony. She blushed immediately and tried to hide behind her mane.
“Mnmesflttrshy.” Her voice was nearly inaudible.

Valor strained his ears. “Padron me?” he said.

“Her name is Fluttershy”, Rarity now helped out. “And don’t worry, she’s always a bit, well, shy with foreign ponies. Even if they are as bold and handsome.”

Valor Edge took a quick glance at the mirror. Truth to be told, he sure was not the worst looking pony with his light grey fur and the almost black mane. But those colors were all but extraordinary for a pony and he had never thought of the scar across his left eye as something that made him look bold… And yet, as he considered his reflection in the mirror he had the feeling that something was not right.
But he couldn’t put his hoof on in.

“C’mon Rarity”, Rainbow Dash groaned. “You don’t know him for five minutes and are already hitting on him? Spike wouldn’t like that one bit!”

Rarity jangled her long eyelashes and answered with dignified indignation: “I am not hitting on him, Rainbow Dash. This is a harmless flirt between gentleponies. My Spikey would understand.”
Then Rarity and Rainbow Dash started to laugh and the others joined in.

Valor meanwhile had the strange sensation of missing something but that might as well had been caused by the turmoil in his head. But their laughing was really infesting and in the end he couldn’t help to join in as well.


“At least you can’t claim that Ponyville is boring”, he heard Twilight Sparkle say to him. He nodded but by no means missed Miss Sparkle watching him slyly. Just curious? he thought. Or are there more causes that lie behind it?

Regardless, Valor had many things to think of. Why everything seemed a little off for example. He decided to stay in town, at least for a while and take the things as they come.

<0>

But right now, Valor Edge had not much time to think about anything. And that was because he was receiving a guided tour of the town. Pinkie-Style. Her way of showing somepony the town was certainly unique. She bounced up and down like a punchball, to and fro, back and forth and led Valor hither and yon with no noticeable system.
Valor saw the windmill, a pastel-colored bakery (were Pinkie worked, as she proudly let him know), the library in a big tree and the town hall. However these places were not located near each other and Valor had, within no time, the feeling he had walked many miles.

Pinkie Pie claimed to know each and every pony in Ponyville and as far as Valor knew that was likely true. In the shortest imaginable time, Pinke had introduced to him the married couple Carrot and Cup Cake, Mayor Mare, an earth-pony mare named Bon Bon and a mint-green unicorn mare named Lyra and at least a dozen other ponies whose names he could not remember. Valor had shaken so many hooves that his foreleg had turned numb. And the ponys of this land seemed very interested in Valors Cutie Mark on his flanks. He himself had never thought of the sword and the star as anything special. In fact it seemed to him as if he had almost forgotten about it all the years. But it was clear that his Cutie Mark was strange and exotic to the other ponies.

Valor and Pinkie had just arrived at the main square for the third time, when Valor Egde finally ran out of breath.
“Pardon me, Pinkie”, Valor panted. “I have not thine unfailing energy.”

The source of said energy, as Valor guessed, was a nearly life-endangering amount of sugar which Pinkie apparently consumed each day. Maybe this caused Pinkie to be so especially good in doing what she did. And that was throwing parties and making new friends. The later Valor had already noticed, mostly because he himself had become her friend. Although he usually was more a loner, in this case it was just the easiest solution.

“Come on”, Pinkie grinned at Valor. “You aren’t played out, are you, Pointy?”

Valor Edge shook his head. “No, but I…” He hesitated. “…‘Pointy’, really…? We need to talk about that again, Pinkie.”

“Oki doki loki, Pointy!”

Valor Edge sighed: “I give in…”

At this moment the town hall clock stroke noon; Pinkie Pie froze immediately and her eyes turned big in fright in a way almost physical impossible. A reaction like that Valor hadn’t expected. “Are thou alright?” he worried.

“Work! Late! Gotta go!” Pinkie gasped out. As quick as lightning she took off to Sugar Cube Corner bakery.

So much for that, Valor Edge thought. Should she not have noticed, when we visited the bakery she works at? Well, at least I get my break that way…

He let his eye wander over the place. At the booths, fruits, vegetables and household items were sold. And as Valor thought about how he would need to earn some money to live, if he wanted to stay in town for a while, he felt a renowned feeling.

It was the common notion of being watched by somepony. Valor Edge had long since learned to trust his sixth sense. But yet Ponyville seemed to be such a peaceful town and on top of this it was broad daylight. So it was probably not the best idea to wave about his sword. Despite that he decided to choose to catch whoever was behind him off guard:
He spun round on his hooves.

And saw nothing. Nobody was watching him, at least as far as he could tell. Behind him were just two ponies who carried a window pane. Though he still had the feeling of missing something. A thing beyond all these friendly ponies like Applejack and the others.

“Howdy, Valor. Whatcha doin’?” A familiar voice draw Valor’s attention to it. Name the Nameless… But Valor felt at once a little shame for that thought. Applejack and her friends were fairly among the most friendly and most noble ponies one could imagine.

“I’ve got something for ya”, AJ said with a sleek smile and pointed with a nod of her head to her saddlebag. “Ya haven’t even had breakfast, have ya?”

The swordspony shook his head and smiled as well. “No indeed, breakfast was the last thing I thought of this morning.”
Among the most friendly and the most noble, as said.

His grumbling belly reminded Valor that he didn’t even know when he had eaten for the last time. Applejack fetched a deliciously smelling, freshly baked apple pie from her saddlebag. Incredible what efforts she made and for a pony she barely knew. Even more a pony that seemingly had just appeared out of nowhere. And that was what seemed a little suspicious to Valor.
“Why are ye doing this?” so he asked as they sat down on a bench, the fresh pie between them. “After all, I am complete strange to you all. Most ponies I met along my way would have distrust of a stranger. And -stick to the truth- I know for a fact that I am very strange.”

Applejack laughed. “We’ve learned our lesson not to judge anypony by how he looks like. Ya may be a stranger and…” She glanced cautiously at the scar cross Valor’s eye.
“Yer somewhat weird and talking fancy fuss but yer by far not the weirdest thing we’ve ever had in Ponyville.”

“Honesty without mercy, hmm?” Valor commented before turning back to the pie.

“Sorry.” Applejack lowered her head and blushed.

“There is no need to be sorry”, Valor replied conciliatorily. His eye however still lay on AJ, examining. “And yet I get the feeling that this is not all: You all want to get to know me better. Want to know who I am. And particularly Young Miss Sparkle for some reason, am I not right? But I bet ye have some questions for me, too. And ye have baked me a pie so ye could question me with ease, have ye not?”
Applejack’s face turned to an even darker tone of red. “That’s not… I mean… I…” she stuttered. But she couldn’t lie to Valor. “Sorry”, she muttered again, but Valor just shrugged his shoulders.

“There is no need to be sorry”, he simply repeated and then added: “Curiosity is nothing condemnable.”

The blonde farm pony was noticeably relieved that her curiosity (which was actually more Twilight’s curiosity) met with Valor’s understanding.
Valor sighed and put on his friendliest smile. “All right, ask your questions, Milady.”
“C’mon, cut that rubbish! Ah ain’t no Lady. That’s more Rarity’s sorta thing. Simply Applejack, for a simple farm pony, alright?” She smiled, still a little embarrassed.

Valor Edge nodded in agreement and waited for Applejack to speak again.
“Um, well, where shall we start?” she asked eventually.

Valor sighed again as he realized that this chat would rather amount to a monologue on his side. “At best at the beginning”, he said. “At best at the beginning.”

<0>