• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 2,563 Views, 226 Comments

Is Love Worth It? - Aura Zero



A sad story about love, and if a certain dragon will ever find it...

  • ...
8
 226
 2,563

The Sentiment...

“Spike?”

Twilight opens the large crystal door to the castle and enters slowly as she waits for her assistant to respond. As expected, she receives no reply as she walks further into the main hall. She does however, hear sniffling coming from the main library. She walks inside and sees Spike sitting on the couch with his head buried in between his knees.

She frowns before she speaks up. “Spike? Are you okay.”

Spike says nothing and Twilight walks closer to him. As she lifts her hoof, however, he speaks.

“I guess I should have given up after Rarity…”

Twilight doesn't expect that response and speaks up about it.

“What do you mean Spike?”

At this, Spike buries his head deeper as he speaks, “I thought that in order to get over Rarity, I could find somepony else and they could replace this feeling I have...but I was stupid to think that…”

Twilight tries to comfort him. “That's not true Spike-”

It is true!” Spike yells suddenly while looking at her, tears streaking down his cheeks. Seeing his saddened expression surprises her and she stays silent as he continues, “I was just being stupid thinking that I could just move on to another pony! I never had a chance with any pony in the first place! I should have accepted that back when I had that dream weeks ago!” He pauses, and looks down. “A dragon can't be with a pony, I know. It's just…it hurts too much to know I can never love the ones I was raised to love in the first place…”

Twilight’s ears fold back at hearing that. She didn't believe that at all herself, and was surprised so many thought that way as well. However, all that matters now is that her friend is in pain right now so she lifts a hoof and pulls her dragon friend close. Spike doesn't resist at all and accepts it as she pulls him into a small hug.

"Spike, I don't want you to believe that. It's not true at all." Twilight starts.

"But it is-" Spike starts, but is cut off by Twilight's hoof.

"Let me finish." She says and he merely nods. "What Rarity and Apple Bloom said may be true in their opinions, but it's definitely not the law Spike. I'm not an expert at love, but I'm sure it's similar to friendship in where you can become close to someone no matter who they are. Whether Pony, Griffon, or Dragon, all are free to love who they want. It's just up to you to find the one who truly loves you for who you are inside Spike."

Spike calms greatly at her words. He wipes his face and speaks. "I'm pretty sure ponies are not that into the insides of a dragon, Twilight."

Twilight smiles. "That may be true, but if they got to know yours, they would realize how big a heart you have."

Spike smiles as well before hugging her a bit tighter. "Thanks Twilight. You're always there for me."

Twilight nuzzles his fins as she speaks. "Only returning the favor."

The two merely stay that way for a while, enjoying each other's embrace...one starting to realize something very important while in the others embrace...

I might not need the others to love me...maybe I have all the love I really need now...with Twilight.

Spike pulls away and stands up from the couch rather quickly, surprising Twilight slightly. He turns to her with a smile.

"Well enough about all that. What else do you have planned today Twi?"

It takes her a moment, but she soon replies thinking it would be best for a change in subject. "Well, I do have a project to finish from Celestia that will be due in a few days, but it might have to wait since we did leave all our picnic supplies back at Applejack's farm."

Spike frowns at that. "Sorry about that Twilight. I didn't mean to-"

"Think nothing of it Spike. I'll just head back and get the supplies." She says before walking towards the door.

"Wait! I'll get it!" Spike says running ahead of her.

Twilight pauses and looks at him in concern. "Are you sure, Spike? After all that just happened?"

Spike nods and looks down. "I think it will be best if I go. I realize after what you said that it might just be how they are. Doesn't mean I should be mad at them for it. We can still be great friends."

Twilight smiles warmly at him. "Spoken like a true friendship assistant. I'm glad to hear that Spike."

Spike smiles proudly before turning and opening the door. "I'll get all the supplies and you finish on your project for Mo- err, Celestia."

Twilight gives him a knowing look at his mistake. Spike sighs. "I know, only call Celestia "Mom" at the castle to prevent an uproar. I still don't see why though."

"It's to ensure nopony will think of you as royalty. At least not until you become a full fledged dragon." Twilight says in a tone that implies she has said this many times before.

"And I still think that's one of the reasons I didn't have a chance with Rarity." Spike says jokingly, which makes her shake her head at him with a small smile. "Well, I'll be back later Twi."

"Oh and can you ask Applejack to give you the "order" as well? She will know what you mean when you get there."

"Anything for you Twilight! Be back soon!" Spike says with a smile back at her before turning and heading back towards Sweet Apple Acres.

As he walks, he turns to his thoughts about his best friend. I should give Twilight something for always being there for me. Maybe a book she doesn't have would work...although what book does she not have that she would like? Finding one might be a little tough..

"Hiya Spike!"

Spike jumps slightly at his name being called. He turns to his right to see a familiar gray unicorn standing by him with a smile. "Whoa. Where did you come from?"

She giggles at his surprised reaction. "I've been here for a while. You were too super focused on the dirt, that's why! Did ya find anything interesting?"

Spike pauses. "Uh, no. I wasn't looking for anything. I was just thinking. Your name was Dinky, right?"

Dinky nods rapidly. "Yep! That's my name! Don't wear it out!" She said with a smile.

Spike can't help but smile. "Why are you so happy Dinky?"

She seems to get even happier after he asks that. "Oh, you can tell? I'm excited because I won a trip for two to Six Hooves Magic Park! And it's in four days! I can't wait to go!

Spike grows surprised. "Wow, really? That's awesome! I've never been there but I heard it's super fun!"

Dinky nods rapidly. "Me too! Me and my Mom are planning to go, but she might not be able to since she may have work that day."

Spike notices her frown slightly at that. He pats her on the side. "Hey, sometimes work gets in the way, but it doesn't mean you can't go with her another time."

Dinky looks at him and nods. "Yeah, you're right. If she can't come this time, I'm sure I'll win another trip and take her next time!"

Spike nods. "Well, I have to go now. I have a few things I have to take care of for Twilight."

Dinky salutes. "Right! I'll leave you to your royal duties then Spike! See ya!"

Spike smiles and watches as she gallops away giggling slightly. He then turns and resumes his trek towards the farm. As he does, he thinks of an idea.

Maybe I can Invite Twilight to an amusement park. She might like that...