• ...
10
 62
 3,768

Chapter 5

Rainbow Dash was in a hurry; she felt like she had not seen Twilight in days. She knew it had only been a few hours, but every second that went by was killing her. Rainbow flew as fast as she could, the cold morning air slicing at her, chilling her to the bone, but she did not care. All that was on her mind was Twlilight.


When Rainbow saw the library coming into view, her heart leapt, and she beat her wings so fast that she almost thought she'd make a Sonic Rainboom. Che imagined the townsponies wouldn't appreciate something like that, though and simply came to a safe, calm landing in front of the entrance,


Rainbow Dash approached the door, a giddy expression on her face. She could not contain her excitement. She lifted her hoof and brought it to the door and... nothing. She found herself unable to knock. She had not come all the way to the library in the freazing weather this early in the morning only to chicken out.


"Okay, let's think about this." Rainbow said aloud to herself. "If Twilight answers the door and I just say 'Hey, what's up?' that's going to be weird, isn't it?" The pegasus looked at her options and tried to come up with a plan. "I got it! I almost forgot I was going to come here in the morning for Rarity and Pinkie anyway. I'll just play it off like I'm here for that!" Satisfied with her plan, Rainbow puffed out her chest, put on the bravest expression she could muster, and knocked on the door.


A few seconds went by, at last the door opened and on the other side was Twilight. Twilight, the most beautiful unicorn in all of Poniville. No, all of Equestria - at least that is what Rainbow Dash thought.


"Ah. Uhhm, hi," Rainbow said incredibly lamely. 'AH UMM HI!?!?!?! SERIOUSLY!?' Rainbow yelled at herself in her thoughts. 'Could that have been more LAME!?!?'


"Hi, Rainbow. What are you doing here so early?" Twilight asked.
"Uhh, well," Rainbow could not stop slipping over her words. She then took a deep breath and gathered her thoughts. "I didn't get much sleep last night because I couldn't stop thinking about what happened with Pinkie and Rarity," Rainbow finally got out, proud that she did not slip up this time. "So, I was wondering if maybe you wanted to come up with a plan now, so that we could investigate as early as possible."


"Oh, yeah, that sounds great" Twilight responded with a hint of disapointment in her voice.


"Is something wrong?" Rainbow asked


"No, nothing at all! Why would there be something wrong? Hehe. Well if we're going to be talking awhile we should probably come in where it's not so cold." Twilight then walked back in, inviting Rainbow in the library.
"Right, good idea." Rainbow then made her way into the library.


------------------------


Twilight sat in a space that was near a few books, Rainbow figured she was reading before she arrived. "Okay, so did you have anything in mind?" Twilight asked.


"Umm, no not really. I was thinking that you'd do most of the thinking. Since you're good at that." Rainbow replied. Twilight smiled at the compliment.


"Okay, well let's see. I don't think that spying on them will work anymore. I think we should take a more direct approach. But, I don't know how." Twilight placed her hoof to her chin, thinking deeply.


Rainbow sat and stared at Twilight, waiting for a response. When she got tired of waiting she tried thinking of her own plan. "Hmmmm, how about we..." Rainbow tried thinking, but failed. "No, uh, how about- no, that won't work. UGH! This is hard! We should just do something completely crazy and straightforward!" Rainbow yelled. Then a lightbulb turned on in the pegasus' head. "That's it!"


"What's it?" Twilight asked.


"We're not going to be subtle at all anymore! We'll just go up to them and ask!"


Twilight spoke her opinion. "That's a little to simple minded. I don't think it'd work."


"Okay, fine. It is a bit too simple. Let me think." Rainbow put on her best focusing face and concentrated on developing a plan. "I got it!" Rainbow burst out. She came up with a plan that could give her a chance to go on a date with Twilight AND solve the mystery of Pinkie and Rarity's relationship. "Twilight, me and you are going to tell them that we are dating!" Twilight stood still, not able to say anything.


"B-but, what would that do? I-I don't see how that would help us." Twilight stuttered.


"Okay, I'll explain it to you! You and I are going to go on a date, but before that I'll find out where Pinkie and Rarity are going to be. And while we're on out date we'll 'accidentally' run into them. They'll, naturally, wonder what we're doing together and ask. When they do we'll just say we're on a date likes it's no big deal. And after we tell them, we'll be like, 'What are you two doing?' and then they'll think 'Well since they're dating I guess it's okay that we tell them we're on a date' and they'll tell us 'We're on a date too!' It's perfect!" Rainbow finished extremely happy with her plan.


"I don't know Rainbow" Twilight turned away from Rainbow. "There are some flaws with your plan, I mean if it turns out we were wrong about them, then we'd basically just be lying to them, then everypony will think that we're dating, when we arent."
Rainbow cringed at Twilight's words, it seemed like the last thing she wanted was for anypony to think they were dating. But she did not think about it too long, she needed to convince Twilight that this was the only plan that they could do.


"Look, I know there are some flaws, but it's all we can do right now." The desperate pegasus said.


"I just don't think something this unorthodox will work, we should think of something else." Twilight replied.


"Twilight. There's nothing else to think about" Rainbow started advancing toward Twilight. Twilight in return started nevously backing away from the cyan pegasus.


"Let's just think for a little longer. There's got to be something else! Let's check one of my books for some references." She kept backing up until she finally got pushed into a corner.


"IT"S THE ONLY WAY!" Rainbow yelled loud enough for her voice to be carried out through the whole library. Twilight lowered her head, Rainbow kept a stern look even after Twilight had broken eye contact.


"Okay. I'll do it" Twilight said, defeated. Rainbow let her look go, and backed away from the shaken unicorn.
"That's better!" Rainbow felt victorius, she had done it. She would get her date, and her answer to this investigation all in one go. "I'm going to take off, I've got to see what Rarity and Pinkie will be doing today." Rainbow started making her way towards the door.


"Wait." Twilight said stopping Rainbow.


"What is it?" Rainbow replied.


"How do you plan on finding out what they're doing? You can't just ask them, then we won't be able to 'accidentally' run into them." Rainbow did not even think about it much, she figured she'd think of something on her way to... well wherever she was going to.


"I dunno, did you have anything in mind?"


"Let's see" Twilight pondered for a moment, then she perked up. "Ah, how about you ask the Cakes. Pinkie would more than likely tell them what she's going to be doing, and for Rarity you could check with Sweetie Belle." Twilight looked quite proud of her smooth thinking.


"That's a great idea! I'll go ask them." Rainbow said happily. Then she made her way to the door again, as Twilight followed behind her. Rainbow walked out the door, while Twilight stayed inside.


"Okay, so I'll go talk to them about it, and I'll see what they say," Rainbow said cheerfully.


"Sounds good." Twilight replied. "Do you think it'll work?"


"Definitely!" Rainbow gave Twilight one last confident look then took off toward the sky.


As Rainbow flew threw the sky, she could only think one thing, 'This is going to be SO AWESOME!'


------------------------

Author's Note - Well, here's the conversation that Rainbow and Twilight had, now you know the other side of the story! I have to, yet again, thank Sir0Chicken for doing a fantastic job at pre-reading. Not only did he make it sound way better, but I got the pre-read version so fast that there was almost no delay between me finishing that chapter and being able to correct it. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and I hope you look forward to the next!