• Published 25th Jun 2015
  • 3,196 Views, 468 Comments

Cross The Amazon - Chatoyance



No Potion. No rescue. South America is 4353 kilometers wide. Run, Dr. Kotani. Run for your life.

  • ...
 468
 3,196

22. What's Up in the Attic

══════════════════════
T H E C O N V E R S I O N B U R E A U :
══════════════════════

CROSS THE AMAZON

By Chatoyance

Chapter Twenty Two: What's Up in the Attic

Deep inside the body of Dr. Calloway Kotani, six unique species of nanomachines began a complex ballet of tasks. The tiny mechanisms had been designed and crafted by very clever men and women, working in association with powerful artificial intelligences. The microscopic robots were the size of viruses, yet even more complex. They were all powered by the thaumatic energies of Equestria, condensed into liquid form.

Because they were driven by extropic forces, they generated no heat as they tirelessly worked. They had many jobs to do, and many carefully calculated stages to achieve before Kotani was transformed from a human into an Equestrian. It was a process so refined now, that it only took twenty minutes from start to conclusion.

At first the meso-scale mechanisms swam through Calloway's blood and lymph and reproduced using available materials. They preferentially sought out fat, tumor cells, and arterial plaque, as well as the heavy metals trapped throughout his tissues thanks to a life drenched in industrial wastes. They were shy about borrowing from implanted technology, however. This had been done to prevent them cannibalizing medical implants that might be required for a subject to live. Within the first twenty-seven seconds the micro-machines had doubled their number. They would continue to increase their population as needs demanded.

One type of the nanomachines specialized in deconstruction. The bones of a human and a pony were virtually identical. To those human scientists and engineers who had created the microscopic robots, it had been revealed that the solar diarch of Equestria had used earthly life, long, long ago, as a template for the creatures of her own world. The connections between Equestria and Mundus ran deep and wide. For Calloway's arms to become forelegs - for example - certain bones would need to be dramatically shortened, while others would require expansion and lengthening.

The machines set to work. Kotani's humerus was attacked by the tiny deconstructor machines. They acted as a mechanical acid - polyatomic ions and free protons tore calcium carbonate apart, dissolving bone at a frightening rate. The shrunken, collapsed bones were pulled together by strong, encapsulating protein strands woven by a second species of nanomachine dedicated to building an internal infrastructure that guarded, and shaped, the developing pony body.

Constructor nanomechanisms took over then, and rebuilt the bones, making them strong and sturdy. Before the protein weavers dismantled their binding strands, they repaired cartilage and tendon while yet another breed of nanomachine worked on muscle and vein, connective tissue, and the rearrangement of fat. Soon, Calloway had a short humerus, a modified ulna - shaped for greater leverage - and robust cannons and pasterns where before fragile metacarpus and phalanges had acted as central finger bones.

The teams of men and women that had labored to find a way to turn a human into an Equestrian had found their great work simplified by the basic similarities between all earthly mammals. All were built on the same plan, all used the same blueprint, and Celestia had borrowed that blueprint for her own universe. Internally, his organs were adapted and remolded, and a multitude of functional improvements were implemented. Celestia had tinkered with the blueprints she had borrowed from earth, and intelligently optimized the haphazard efforts of terrestrial natural selection. During the time that his organs were repaired and improved, Calloway's neck also lengthened, and his coccyx expanded and grew out to become the tail that it had once been, millions of years ago.

After ten minutes, the process of Kotani's Conversion was half completed. Two mechanical breeds of the six began to rapidly collect within his brain and spinal column. They had a daunting, but not impossible task: to reconfigure Calloway's brain while retaining his identity and memories. As his skull was dissolved, enlarged, reshaped, and hardened once again, his brain began a rapid series of expansions and reductions in both its mass and structure. He would soon be smarter, but also vastly less aggressive. He would gain a nearly infinite Dunbar's number - everypony would be family at some level to him, and no life would be worthless or expendable ever again. His capacity to care and nurture was enhanced, while his selfishness and territoriality was reduced. But above all, the wiring of the hunter-gatherer that had evolved to raid and rape and kill and fight was remade into the configuration of the herd animal designed by the princesses of Equestria to be a integral part of the workings of Equestrian reality itself.

Gone forever was the killer ape, and in its place was the gentle pony temperament established.

By fifteen minutes, Calloway's body was nearly complete, with the exaggerated fingernails that were hooves sprouting from the bulbs of his nearly finished legs. Everything that happened to his body was complex, but except for the extraversal source of power that the tiny laborers used, explainable within physical terms. Kotani's species change was less a magical transformation than a clever rearrangement of the puzzle pieces of the machinery of his body. Everything of him that was visible to the human eye was still essentially governed by terrestrial physical laws.

But what was not visible to the human eye became rich, and strange, and otherworldly. That same energy which drove the microscopic devices also possessed its own, private agenda. More than mere driving power, it could and had been programmed. The power source of the nanobots was itself the Equestrian equivalent of them. Spells woven upon spells, following logical steps to an alien conclusion. Beneath the veil of reality, as the human's tiny machines moved atoms and molecules and spun proteins and lipids, the thaumatic engine that powered them altered those same atoms into their cubical Equestrian equivalents. Calloway Kotani was not merely rebuilt, he was, in the end, converted into unearthly substance. E-Matter, Equestrian atoms, molecules and forces. But there was still more - beneath the veil, Calloway's entire pattern, body and brain, was duplicated in arcane form. Superimposed upon his physicality was now a superphysical thaumatic couplement, a spectral self that could not be broken nor dissolved by time. In human cultural terms, he was manufactured a real and immortal soul.

By the time twenty minutes were up, and Calloway was completely a pony, by the time that the tiny nanomachines broke themselves down into simple sugars within his blood, he was not merely ponified - his very substance and self had become literally otherworldly.

Calloway had bought a special adapter for his MicroSony Mindset. It attached to the top and back of the helmet-like peripheral, and interfaced directly with the implant in his brain through inductance. He had always disliked cranial jacks and ports - they were difficult to clean. Inductance happened through the skin, without the need of portholes in his skin. Nothing to get infected, nothing to have to clean out. Calloway liked things simple and easy.

He enjoyed a lot of games - exploration games, puzzle games, and role-playing worlds especially. But time and again he returned to Slaughterstrike. First person shooters were team sports, they were exciting, they had a curious rhythm to them - a flow of advance and retreat - that struck some emotional chord in him. He overlooked the bloodshed - his enjoyment came from teamwork. He liked to feel victorious of course, to see anyone capture a location, or take the other team's McGuffin and dash home to base. It did not have to be he himself doing such grand tasks - he simply liked believing that the shared victory would not have happened without him. He liked to feel as if he mattered to others.

He often played those roles in the game that suited this ethic. Medic was a favorite, healing and buffing teammates. He also enjoyed playing Engineer, repairing vehicles, fixing bases, getting generators or vehicles up just in time. But sometimes, when he was angry at his job, or lonely, or upset in general, then he would pick a front line assault class and try to frag with the best of them.

But he was never the best of them - he just no longer had the microsecond mental responses of the younger players. Still, when he got a clever snipe, or managed a rampage through two or three opponents in succession, it got the mad out of his heart, and made him feel powerful. He never felt powerful in real life.

Calloway worked on the catapult. He was playing engineer in the second of Slaughterstrike's five standard time zones. The first was referred to by most players as 'Caveman'. The ancient realm unrealistically paired early, hairy hominids with dinosaurs. The engineer role within that time zone involved hosing the beasts down to cool their 'overheat' status with tiny mammoths that squirted cool water. The weapons were clubs, rocks, and spears.

The 'Medieval' zone featured knights, crossbows, and castles - and the catapult that Calloway was working on. Next came 'WW2' with the usual tanks and guns, after that 'Modern' - a favorite with the Blackmesh wannabes. It covered the unification of the globe during the aftermath of the Austerity Wars. Lastly the futuristic 'Mechfight', which offered various sizes of giant robots and superscience force fields and beams.

In every case, Calloway's usual playstyle involved hanging back and watering the dinos, putting a wrench to the tanks, or using repair beams on the mechs. Or, like today, hammering away on the mobile catapults, to keep them working.

The aggressive punks always lone-wolfed ahead to engage the enemy right away, seldom working as a team. Calloway hung back, found their burning wrecks - or panting dinos - and set to work fixing them up. As soon as he was done, some trigger-pumping jerk would jump in or on, and rush back into the fray without so much as a thank you.

But at the end of the match, Calloway got his reward. It was easy to see, from the game stats, that his actions often turned the tide of battle. That final push, or game winning cap could not have been done without a lot of tanks, and usually Calloway alone was responsible for the fact any tanks remained at all. Slaughterstrike was not generous with respawns - it was part of its charm - and the loss of equipment and men held real weight. Not that most players understood this as they ran forward and got themselves shot up. There had been more than one match where Calloway had found himself the last surviving member of his team, spoilt for choice with a fleet of tanks, dinos, mechs or whatever - and one last lone-wolf enemy to hunt down for victory.

Sadly, despite having all the big toys, he was usually shanked in the back by the younger, faster player.

Calloway hammered away at the catapult, whistling a merry tune. He'd always liked the Medieval zone. Wide, green fields usually surrounded the castle bases, and trees towered to the sky. On the times he himself joined the actual fighting, he enjoyed lurking in the forests and running out for a quick frag before ducking back in to hide. Thick bushes were his best friends in Medieval Slaughterstrike. His score was not high, but he usually survived all the way to the final tally. He hated getting fragged, and being forced to watch like a ghost, while those living finished the match.

The catapult was almost finished. Just a few more blows with the hammer, and the last cracks in the busted wheels would vanish.

* SPECIAL DROP! *

A wooden crate fell from the blue sky, drifting down on a suspiciously da Vinci-looking screw propeller. That was new. In all the time he had played Slaughterstrike, through all five iterations, he'd never seen a da Vinci crate.

Calloway left the unfinished repair of the catapult and walked to the drop. The crate was an elaborately carved wooden cube almost as tall as he was. A single blow from his hammer broke the crate open. Inside was a very strange new weapon.

It wasn't a sword, or a club, or a crossbow. It wasn't even his favorite, the multi-purpose Halberd. If anything, it looked like... a gun. It had a stock, a grip, and a trigger, but extending from it was a long, white, spiral cone that shimmered with subtle rainbow colors. Calloway picked up the bizarre weapon drop. On the side of the stock, the strange device was labeled 'Alicornitron Ray'. That was just plain wrong! By the name and shape, it should have come from a later time zone. The Mech realm. But the construction was polished wood, brass, and... a horn. Had they decided to introduce fantasy elements - magic - into Slaughterstrike? That was something fans had been demanding for some time. Fireballs, and a wizard class were popular suggestions in the Slaughterstrike forums.

He felt the weight and heft of the strange weapon. It seemed legit. He pointed it at a nearby tree and pulled the trigger. A rainbow beam arced out, showering the tree in chatoyant ribbons of arcane force. "Whoa!"

The tree did not explode. Neither did it burn. Instead... it looked significantly more beautiful. It wasn't just an upgrade in texture resolution - the entire design and look of the tree was new - and much more pleasing. Instead of a dark, dreary tree, the bright, colorful replacement felt cheery and inviting. It was a tree from a different sort of game entirely. Calloway walked to the tree and touched it. The intracranial haptic feedback system informed him that somehow the tree even felt better.

It was then that he heard the stomping rush and jangle of a soldier covered in chainmail. The player was not part of his team, and by the morning star spinning over the running warrior's head, he meant to do Calloway some harm. The magical ray gun was in his hands. Calloway aimed and fired.

The ribbons of color wrapped the enemy soldier in brilliant colors, covering him completely like a mummy. The enwrapped shape began to shrink and alter its contours. The spectral energies faded. In the place of the fearsome rushing player with murder on his mind, stood a cute powder-blue pegasus stallion dressed in tailored medieval garb. The little pony looked up at Calloway, blinked several times, and smiled.

"Hello! Wanna be friends?"

Calloway stepped back, astonished. Had the anomaly in the Pacific been included within the game? Did Slaughterstrike actually have ponies in it now? "Um... hello? Are... are you okay?"

The tunic-wearing pony nodded. "Yes! I feel great - thanks for asking." The pegasus stallion looked back at the castle behind the catapult depot. "You know... I like playing engineer too, usually. I was thinking - I can lift things, even push them through the sky. Weight almost doesn't matter. I'm thinking we could rebuild that castle a bit. I think we could make it... at least ten, maybe twenty percent cooler looking. If we worked together." The pegasus smiled up at Calloway.

"W-what about the battle? The other members of your team?" More and more of this was not making sense. "You're supposed to be on the other team!"

The newly made stallion laughed. "I'm not on any team, right now. I'm just playing. For fun! So, you wanna fight, or you wanna build and play?"

Calloway looked back at the still unrepaired catapult. "Actually... every time I've ever played this game, I always wanted to be able to enjoy the castle, explore the lands beyond... and yeah, that castle could be a lot neater looking. Fighting was fun, for a while... but it gets repetitive, you know? Bang bang, you're dead, over and over and over."

"Well, then!" The dark gray maned pegasus smiled. "Let's get you ready to play then!"

"Ready? To play?" Calloway looked around. He couldn't hear the distant sounds of battle anymore. Only birds and running water met his ears. It was very soothing, and strangely musical.

"Well, you're not going to be much help as an armored warrior. You've got the special pick-up in your hands. Turn it around, give yourself a blast, and let's get busy building a better castle!"

"I can change class with this?" Calloway held the Alicornitron Ray up to the level of his eyes and studied its construction. It was remarkably detailed for such a whimsical game asset.

The blue and gray pegasus laughed again. "Yeah. That's what it does. It frees you from teams, gives you a new class, and buffs you with magic powers. Oh, infinite lives, too. It's a bit of a cheat, I suppose, but it's also a lot more fun than the base game. You see those hills?"

Calloway looked beyond the castle to the mysterious hills in the distance. He'd always wanted to see what was beyond them. Once, he had even tried, but he had left the Battle Zone and was informed that if he didn't return to the fight, he would be killed as a deserter. He returned as the seconds counted down. Just in time. "Yeah?"

"No zone limit. No skybox. No invisible walls. If you don't want to play with the castle, we could just go exploring. For as long as you want."

"Seriously? This cheat does that? How? Some kind of procedural add-on to the code? How does this even..."

"Something like that." The pegasus stallion swished his tail. "So... what will it be? Back to the stabbing or hooves into the horizon?"

"Hooves." Calloway turned the strange ray gun around and pointed it at his heart. "Does it hurt?"

The former enemy warrior shook his pony head. "Only if you can't forgive yourself. Pro-tip: just let everything before go. You couldn't help it, you were bound by the rules of the game. It's a new game now. New rules. Be a foal. Start fresh. Respawn."

Calloway nodded. As he pulled the trigger, as the rainbow cascade of light surrounded him, the little stallion watching him also began to change. He grew massively in height, blanching to snow-pure white. His gray mane flared up into a rippling field, the colors of the dawn. His tunic turned to a gold peytral, set with a violet jewel. Calloway managed one word, as he shrank and changed - "Celestia!"

The solar diarch, the sun princess of all Equestria winked at him with a sly grin. "Gotcha."

The Newfoal on the bed was laughing even before he was fully awake. He had begun laughing in his sleep, and his own guffaws had brought him out of his apparently hilarious dreams.

"Calloway?" Dropspindle lay near the brand new stallion. She had waited patiently despite her worries about his long unconsciousness, for nearly an hour. Captain Cudicini had explained to her that it took time for the anesthesia to wear off, that he knew the timing well - but she would have none of it. She would not leave Calloway alone for a moment. Not even a banana smoothie on the cloud deck could tempt her. Dropdpindle had heard a great deal about the effort to save the humans, about the Bureaus and Conversion and Newfoals. But she had never actually met a Newfoal. The magnitude of what had just happened to Calloway had finally hit her. The naked ape she had traveled thousands of kilometers with was no longer naked. And, more to the point, he was no longer an ape.

Calloway slowly opened his brand new eyes. Colors leapt at him, some he had no names for. His ears twitched with his sudden emotion, and they became his single focus of interest for a few moments. Gradually it dawned on him that he had a tail, and he spent some quality time swishing and flopping it about on the bed. He couldn't help but giggle - he felt wonderful!

"Calloway!" Dropspindle wanted to crawl forward and nuzzle him, pony to pony, but she felt frozen to the spot. It was so incredibly strange - even for a mare raised in a universe of magic and wonder. This astonishing total bodily transformation was new and incredible to her. She felt confused and unsure how to act. Would he want to be treated as a pony now, or would he still think of himself as human? What exactly was he, really? Was it still even Calloway at all? He looked utterly different. Everything she had been taught about Newfoals somehow didn't seem to matter now that she was confronted with the reality right in front of her.

Calloway drowsily focused his large purple eyes on his adventuring companion. "Dropspindle? Oh! That's weird!"

Dropspindle crawled slightly closer. "What?"

"My mouth! My teeth are all different... and my voice! Oh, that's... well, actually, it still sounds like me, just younger. Huh. 'Three hundred more birthdays' - that's what it says on the Bureau posters, right? I guess getting youth... re-youthed... de-aged? I guess that's part of... Dropspindle!"

"Yes?" She wormed herself a little closer still, fascinated by this strange new creature before her, yet still somehow the same old creature too.

"I'm not too young, am I? I'm not a foal or anything, right?"

Dropspindle chuckled. "No. A little younger than me, but not by much. You're not a foal or colt. You're an adult. Young, but adult."

"This is all so weird!" Calloway spent some time marveling at his forehooves, turning them this way and that, studying them with the intensity of the scientist he was. "The really odd thing is that all of this maps. I don't feel like this new body is wrong, or that anything is out of place. I guess my internal homunculus... pon...unculus? Is that even a word? I guess it was altered to fit my new form. Good thing, actually! It would pretty much suck to be stuck in a pony body and hate it." He rolled onto his side, toward Dropspindle, then continued onto his back. Dropspindle found herself pressed up against the powder-blue stallion.

"Hey! Look! I'm blue! Like you... sort of. A lighter shade. Huh! Like in my dream." Calloway's new muzzle frowned. "Ouch... something... something hurts on my... back?" He rolled rapidly away from Dropspindle, back onto his stomach. "Will you look at these!"

Calloway extended his wings, noticing them fully for the first time. "I've got... wings! What the pastry? They hurt if you roll on them wrong! I need to remember that. I... sweet Luna but I feel giddy! Am I giddy? Because I feel giddy. Really super, duper giddy. I think."

"Bertrand... told me that when you woke up, you'd be... silly... for a while. Maybe even an entire day. He called it 'conversion euphoria'. He said it's normal. It happens because so much has changed, and because, apparently, being human hurts somehow, and becoming a pony is a relief. And there are... brain chemicals, too." Dropspindle felt mesmerized by how Calloway seemed delighted with the smallest things about his new body - things she had always taken entirely for granted. He couldn't seem to get enough of playing with his ears and tail. He even licked his hooves and laughed, as if it were the most wonderful thing in all the world.

"Hoo! I... I do feel good. I feel really, really good. No pain anywhere - bagels for breakfast, I feel fresh and new and every joint, every muscle... I feel like I was just born! I guess I am new. New... foal. Newfoal. Ahh! It makes sense now. It's hard to express how giggly I feel, Dropspindle. It's not like any drug, it's definitely not like booze. I... it's... I just feel really super healthy, super genki, you know? And content, and glad, and happy and... oh, the colors and especially the smells..." Calloway sniffed briefly. "Lemon. You ate a lemon pastry and... drank hibiscus tea. Not that long ago. My Celestia... I'm smelling that through your abdomen! WOW!"

He had flipped around and had his muzzle pressed into Dropspindle's side now. He was sniffing and even gave a lick, as if he expected to taste her snack through her somehow.

"CALLOWAY!" Dropspindle couldn't help but giggle, his sniffing nose tickled and the entire thing was just so ridiculous. "What are... you really are silly, aren't you?"

Calloway had already given up on Dropspindle's belly and was now trying to sniff - and taste - his own wings. He looked up, his pinions in his mouth. "Mfph?"

Dropspindle laughed. "Now stop that - you'll get your feathers all droopy and you won't like that. Goodness... it really is like taking care of a foal with you, isn't it? There - stretch them out, now give them a flap. That's it. Do that a few times and they'll dry off." Dropspindle sniffed. "You smell better, I have to say that. As an ape you were pretty stinky, honestly. I can see why they call you 'skunk apes'."

"Who calls humans that?" Calloway was trying to catch his tail in his teeth. So far, his tail was winning.

"Some ponies that have visited earth and returned. We had to talk with them as part of the preparation class. I probably should have paid more attention." For a moment, Dropspindle looked sad. Then her ears raised up again. "But... maybe it was worth it, to see this. Your... joy... it's kind of catching, somehow. Careful! Not so hard..."

"Ow!"

"Well, what do you expect? That's your own tail! You can't bite it like that and expect it not to hurt!"

"Logged and noted. 'Don't bite tail hard'. There's so much to learn!"

Dropspindle laughed again. "You are one seriously goofy pony, Calloway."

"You didn't even get to see him have his First Meal As A Pony? Oh, Bertie, sweet Bertand... that is simply a moment not to be missed! In every Bureau, literally everywhere, it's become a universal tradition! Because it's so much fun! That first meal, with new pony senses - well, you've certainly heard me go on about my time and... oh, I wish you'd taken a holo of the entire thing!"

Captain Bertrand Cudicini sat at the expansive, antique desk inside his private suite. On the desk was an elaborately carved chest, about the size of a shoebox, and like the ancient desk, it was made of wood. Unlike the desk, the chest was made of wood from another cosmos - it was on loan from the nocturnal princess herself. Within it was an ornate, bejewled oval mirror, which could be set upright within a slot shaped into the velvet that lined the box.

The mirror radiated so much thaumatic energy, that merely to set it into position, Cudicini had to use a pair of special tongs - he dared not handle the artifact directly.

Its primary purpose - and the reason for his possession of it - was that the mirror allowed direct communication with the princess, should that be necessary. And it had been necessary, four times thus far. The mirror did not reflect what was around it - rather it only reflected images from other universes. It could make a link between itself and any mirror of any kind, anywhere, so long as it was outside the universe in which it existed.

Cudicini had been granted the additional privilege of using it for his own purpose, as a special kindness for his help in the past. That purpose was to speak with, and see, his lover and best friend - who now resided behind the Barrier, within Equestria. "I did not want to interrupt them in any way, love. Both of them have been through the most terrible of adventures, as I described. I am not in any way exaggerating about how emotionally damaged the mare is - she is deeply wounded. I believe that her salvation is to be found in nurturing that silly little man - stallion, now. I got the idea from you, beloved - what you told me last time about how Equestrians are defined by the way they care for others." Bertrand sipped some of the wine he had taken to his room. "But I can assure you the platter I had Ernesto deliver was a smorgasbord of Equestrian delights beyond compare. No Bureau could ever match it!"

"Now I'm jealous! Pout!" There was a giggle from the mirror. "You made Ernie play maid? Really?"

Bertand laughed. "Actually, he was eager to do it. He wanted to see the new doctor Kotani very much, for some reason. Perhaps I will be losing my navigator and his family before our mission is complete. He's been moving in the direction of going pony for some time now."

The Equestrian on the other end of the transversal mirror looked sad. "I wish that Ernie would lose you instead. I want you to come home. To me. If Ernesto takes the purple... join him? I miss you. I miss you every day!"

Bertrand studied his hands. Then he looked back up to the universe defying artifact. "And I miss you. But I have to see this through, at least a little longer - besides, our princess has come to depend on me! I am one of her many secret hooves, a member of her spectral forces, hiding in the shadows of midnight!"

"Ooh! I liked that one!" The pony grinned. "Still, think about it, please? There can't be much of that wretched globe left, can there? I was glad to get to leave it. I'll never understand what you are trying to find flying around back there."

Betrand sighed and blew a kiss to the stallion of his dreams inside the mirror. "Myself, I think. Love, I'm trying to understand what it meant to have been a man, before I join you, and become a stallion. And I need to see this world, truly see it, before I leave it behind. I don't want to spend the next three centuries feeling like I left something undone, something I can never do. And I truly am helping the princess, in my little way. Be patient, my light. This can only last two more years at the very most. 'There Is No Year Eight!'"

"Just get here before the Barrier gets you. That's all I ask."

"I will. I promise. Earth may ride me currently, but it is not my true rider."

Through the mirror that connected two universes, a golden stallion smirked and laughed. "You are such a naughty little pony!"