• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 32,480 Views, 749 Comments

Anon-a-Miss - Dainn



In the EQG Holiday Special, Sunset figured out that Anon-a-Miss was actually Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom. But what if things happened differently?

  • ...
49
 749
 32,480

Chapter 1 - Friendship

It was the final Monday of the week, which meant that there were only four more days to go until the students of Canterlot High were scheduled to get out for Christmas break. The dismissal bell had just finished ringing, signaling the end of yet another miserable day. There wasn't a single cheerful soul in that building. No one laughed. No one smiled. Something had the students on edge and it wasn't homework.

For the past week, someone calling themselves “Anon-a-Miss” on several social media websites, such as “Mystable”, had been going around posting other people’s personal information online for the world to see. No one knew for certain how Anon-a-Miss was getting so much information on everyone, but the students of CHS had seemingly all jumped to one unanimous conclusion. Sunset Shimmer must have been the one doing it.

The students and the school staff burned her with their hateful glares as she walked down the halls. Profanities were whispered the moment that her back was turned. It wasn’t uncommon to receive a random shove when maneuvering through large crowds or to return to find that her locker had either been vandalized or broken into.

As much as Sunset wanted to hate them, the former top dog of the school couldn’t exactly blame them for being so quick to point fingers at her. Past memories of an age built on fear, blackmail, and sabotaged friendships were still fresh in the minds of others. The idea of Sunset slithering back into her old habits wasn’t very hard to believe.

There was just one small problem that no one else could see.

Sunset was innocent.

***

Light trickles of snow fell from the sky as Sunset ran from the school and across the city. She didn’t stop until she had successfully reached her destination, “Sugar Cube Corner”. From what she remembered during her late night talks with Twilight, there was a place with the exact same name back in Equestria.

Sunset stood outside the establishment, took a deep breath, as if to further solidify her resolve, and then willed herself to step inside.

The light chiming of a bell could be heard as the front door was pushed open. As luck would have it, there were only five customers inside, not including herself. They were gathered at the same table, at the same section of the restaurant, exactly as Sunset had predicted. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy. They were all sitting there together, like they always did, and they were all wearing similar looks of hurt and disgust the moment that they became aware of Sunset’s presence. Even Mr. and Mrs. Cake, the restaurant's owners, seemed perturbed.

“You're not welcome here and you know it,” Applejack stated in a tone that could have turned entire rivers into ice.

Rainbow Dash was quick to follow Applejack’s lead. “Yeah, so whatever it is you want, go shove it , and leave us alone, Anon-a-Miss."

Sunset could feel her initial bravery crumbling away against the hostility. She expected this type of response, but that didn't make hearing it any easier. The fact that they were supposed to be her friends made it sting even more.

She considered leaving the restaurant. Perhaps going there wasn't such a good idea. She abandoned that train of thought after reminding herself why she had come there in the first place. She needed them back in her life. She needed them to listen.

“Look, I know things are a little messed up right now. And I know that you all think that I sold you out. But it wasn’t me. I didn’t do it. I would never do anything to hurt any of you.” Fluttershy looked away, her face scrunched up in irritation, Rarity mumbled something under her breath, and Pinkie rolled her eyes.

“You girls are literally the only friends that I have in this world,” Sunset’s voice cracked slightly, “So why would I ever -”

She was cut off by the sound of Rainbow slamming her fist down on the table and then leaping out of her seat. “What part of leave us alone didn’t you understand?!”

Sunset was stunned by the outburst, and judging by the looks on their faces, so was everyone else. It was no secret that Rainbow Dash could be a bit of a hothead at times, but seeing her like this, eyes narrowed, heavy breaths, fists clenched, body trembling in barely suppressed rage, this was something new. Sunset was half hoping that one of the other girls would do something to try and calm her down.

No such thing happened. In fact, they seemed to be showing silent support.

Drawing upon her inner courage one last time, Sunset reached into her purse and pulled out her journal, the enchanted device that served as a link between the Human World and Equestria. It was her hope that if her friends wouldn’t believe her words, then perhaps they would find assurance in reading through some of the more recent conversations between herself and Twilight. “I get it. You're all angry. But if you won't listen to me, then would you at least be willing to listen to Twi -”

There was a flash of movement from Rainbow’s arm. The only thing Sunset saw was a blur, and then the journal had been knocked out of her hands and sent flying across the room.

A heavy silence permeated the restaurant as Sunset slowly dropped her head to the floor in an attempt to avert her gaze away from Rainbow’s. The message was clear. Her friends wanted nothing to do with her anymore.

She silently walked over to the journal and placed it back inside her purse.

Before leaving, she turned towards her friends one final time.

"I promise that I'll find out whoever's behind all of this, no matter how long it takes."

She returned to her apartment later that afternoon, feeling more broken than ever before.

Author's Note:

Not sure how this'll do, but here it is.
Criticism is always welcome.