• Published 27th Jun 2015
  • 5,442 Views, 150 Comments

Son of Sombra - BubblePuff



Princess Cadences and Shining Armor adopt a foal who turns out to be the lost son of King Sombra

  • ...
11
 150
 5,442

Part 2

“Where’s North Star? There you are!” Cadence said with glee as she removed her wings from North Star’s eyes. The little foal laughed and waved his hooves in the air. Cadence repeated the process over and over.

Shining Armor looked down at floor where his wife was playing with the adopted foal.It had only been a day since Cadence and Shining Armor had adopted North Star, and already Cadence was treating him as her own. Shining was glad to see that his wife was happy, but Shining still had his doubts about North Star. “Honey, you’ve been playing with him all morning. Don’t you think you should take a break?”

“I can’t help it. He is just too cute!” Cadence rubbed North Star’s cheeks. “Besides, I don’t see you spending time with him. He is technically your son now.”

Shining let out a sigh. “Have you’ve forgotten about the horn? What if North Star turns out to be just like Sombra? The Crystal Empire could end up being lost in shadows for another thousand years.”

Cadence gave Shining a stern look. “It’s not North Star’s fault that he was born this way. A pony should not be judged by their appearance.” Cadence picked up North Star and gave him to Shining. “In fact, why don’t the two of you spend some time together? I have to get things ready for when Celestia, Luna, and Twilight arrive anyhow.”

Shining held out North Star in his hooves. “Cadence, you know darn well that I don’t know anything about kids, let alone newborn foals!” Shining protested.

“Shining, it isn’t that hard. Besides, you’re a fast learner. Have fun!” Cadence blew him a kiss then walked out the door. Shining looked looked at North Star. Shining smiled, but then North Star began crying loudly.

“Oh sweet Celestia.” Shining thought to himself. “Please don’t cry! Uh, ooga booga booga!” Shining tried making funny faces, but they had no effect. He then heard a rumbling sound coming from North Star’s tummy. “Are you hungry?” Shining went to the kitchen, but could not find anything the young foal could eat. He then summoned a guard. “Officer, run down to the market and buy some foal formula stat!”

The guard hurried to the market and bought the formula plus a baby bottle. He rushed back to the palace as quick as he could. North Star’s loud crying was starting to give Shining tinnitus. When the guard returned, Shining immediately snatched up the formula. “Finally! Now, how did mom do this with Twilly? Oh, right!” Shining filled the bottle with the formula, then warmed it up in hot water. After testing it to make sure it was the right temperature, Shining stuck the bottle in North Star’s mouth who began sucking away.

Shining was relieved to finally have some silence. North Star sucked down the whole bottle in under a minute. “My, you have some appetite.” Shining placed North Star over his shoulder and patted him on the back to burp him. North Star let out a burp so loud that it could be heard throughout the palace.

“Excuse you!” Shining held up North Star. “I assume you got enough?” Shining then smelt something foul coming from the foal’s diaper. “Just my luck.” Fortunately, Cadence had bought diapers when she and Shining adopted North Star. Not having a changing table yet, Shining placed some old newspapers on the floor and began to change North Star. As soon as he removed the diaper, Shining was shocked. “Gah! It’s like something from the pits of Tartarus!” Shining used his magic to lift away the diaper and throw it away. He wiped and powdered North Star’s bottom, only for the foal to pee in his face. North Star giggled happily.

Shining wiped his face then fitted North Star with a fresh diaper. “In all of my years as captain of the royal guard, never have I faced a challenge as great as you.” North Star just sucked on his hoof.

Cadence got everything ready in the crystal gardens. Up in the sky, she could see the chariots of Celestia, Luna, and Twilight. The royal guard stood at attention and saluted as the three chariots landed.

Cadence knelt before Celestia and Luna as they approached her. “Aunt Celestia, Luna, I am so glad that you both could make it under such short notice.”

Celestia and Luna both smiled. Celestia motioned for Cadence to rise. “There is no need to kneel before us Cadence. After all, we are family.”

Cadence blushed as she stood up. “Sorry, force of habit.” As Twilight walked towards her, Cadence smiled and the two Alicorns embraced. “Twilight, it is so good to see you!”

“It’s great to see you too, Cadence.” Twilight replied with a big smile.

Luna approached Cadence. “We all came as soon as we receive your message. What is this urgency that you wrote to us about?”

Cadence explained what happened with the mysterious pony who emerged from the blizzard. She also explained that the foal that was born bore the horn of Sombra.

“And where is this foal now?” Celestia asked.

“Shining should be here with him in a minute. Also we have big news.” Cadence then looked over to the garden entrance to see Shining Armor approaching. North Star was strapped to his chest. Although Shining was visibly exhausted, he perked up as soon as his sister.

“Twily!” Shining ran up to his sister, and the two nuzzled one another.

Twilight looked down at North Star. “That does appear to be Sombra’s horn on his head.”

Shining rubbed the back of his neck. “Uh, yeah. You see, there’s another reason we called you here, and it is-.”

“We’ve adopted him!” Cadence interrupted. “Twilight, say hello to your nephew North Star!”

Twilight was taken aback. “You two adopted the foal?”

“It was Cadence’s idea” Shining replied.

“I had to do it. The poor thing lost his mother and was all alone. He needs a family, and then Shining and I showed up. I dare say it was destiny that brought us together.” Cadence smiled and nuzzled North Star.

Celestia stepped in between Cadence and Twilight. “Perhaps it is best that we continue this discussion in the crystal palace. There is much to be said concerning little North Star.” North Star played with Celestia’s mane, which brought a smile to the princess’s face. “We must test whether there is any dark magic in North Star or not.”

Cadence led everypony into the crystal castle’s royal courtroom. Celestia instructed Cadence to place North Star on the floor. Cadence did so, then Celestia, Luna, and Twilight stood around North Star. The three princesses touched each others horns together above the young foal. North Star looked up in amazement at what was going on. The princesses horns glew bright for several seconds, then the three dispersed.

“There is no trace of dark magic within him.” Celestia informed Cadence and Shining.

“In fact, there is no trace of any magic within him at all.” Luna added.

“But what of the horn?” Shining asked.

“We could not detect any magic in the horn either.” Twilight replied. “More tests will have to done. Also, I would like to examine the body of North Star’s mother to see if that yields any clues.”

Cadence spoke up. “Will Shining and I still be able to raise North Star?”

“I can see that you have much love for this foal.” Said Celestia. “You have already adopted him, So my sister and I trust you raise North Star right.”

Cadence hugged Shining. “Isn’t this great?! North Star is permanently ours!”

“Permanently?” Shining said with a gulp. North Star crawled over and began sucking on Shining’s tail.

Cadence, Celestia, Luna, and Twilight all awed at the sight. “See darling? You and North Star get along so well.”

Shining faked a smile. “Yeah, we sure do.” “How am I supposed to tell Cadence that I’m not ready to be a father?”