• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 2,455 Views, 102 Comments

The Phoenix Tear - CartoonNerd12



Twilight is preparing to take on a task bigger than any before. But when she meets Sunset Shimmer, is there more than meets the eye?

  • ...
2
 102
 2,455

Chapter 21

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Discord was waving his hands. "Let me get this straight, Your Highnesses. You're saying that Sunset Shimmer is your daughter, but not only that, but she's Twilight's twin sister?!"

"Yes." said Celestia as she and Sombra had gathered their son-in-laws and grandchildren in the throne room. Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor, and Skyla were there as well as Celestia kept saying, "Long ago, I had gotten very sick…" She told the whole tale and once she neared the end, Sombra was looking away in shame as every pony else was fantasized with this recent development.

Discord then asked, "And you can now remember you had a daughter named Sunset Shimmer because…?"

"I do not know, but if what you said about Sunset and Twilight meeting again for the first time is true, perhaps they have found a way for our memories to return…" She looked at her husband, sister, and niece.

"That we have!" shouted a voice.

Everyone turned towards the double doors as the princesses began walking in.

"MOMM!" the kids shouted as they ran to their mothers and embraced them. Their fathers joined them shortly and it was one big hug fest.

Celestia started saying, "My darlings, I'm so glad for your safe return home, but have you seen…" she stopped as she looked forward and stared.

Sombra found himself staring, too. Every pony around them watched them in silence as they faced a unicorn mare with a bright orange coat, a red and yellow mane, and a cutie mark that was a sun that was about to set. Twilight watched as her parents and twin sister were slowly going toward each other. Once they were close enough, Celestia put a hoof under Sunset's chin and started releasing a tear. Sunset gave a small smile as she started crying, too. She looked over to her father as he was tearing up and gave a small chuckle. Then, the three of them went into a tight embrace.

"My darling… my darling… can you ever forgive us?" Celestia asked.

"There's nothing to forgive… I know you tried to keep me here… but Starlight… she was too quick…"

"It's my fault…" said Sombra.

"Dad…"

"No, Sunset, it was… I never should have stolen that phoenix…"

"But you were trying to save Mom, me, and Twilight… Sometimes, we have to do things even if we don't want to… I know…"

"For many years, I often wondered why I was cursed… I was saving my wife, yes… but to have that darkness surround me for a long time… but now remembering my awful deed, I'm proud to say I deserved it…"

His wife pecked his cheek, "Noble till the end…"

Sombra gave a small smile before his daughter again, "Sunset… I know there's no way we can fix what we have missed with you, but if you will allow us to get to know you better and if you would like to get to know us better, that would make us very happy to make up for what we lost with you…"

Sunset had a wide grin, "I would like that very much…"

Celestia smiled as she said, "Wonderful, because in case you didn't know, tomorrow is Twilight's birthday - which is your birthday, too - and we have an important tradition that started when the two of you were born… I think you're going to love it."

"I'm sure I will," she turned to her twin as they shared a wink.

Luna then gestured, "In the meantime, while you three are catching up, doesn't Twilight have a coronation to prepare for?"

All eyes turned toward Twilight as she had a look of panic on her face and she gulped, "Oh, dear…"

It was late in the afternoon as Twilight was practicing to hit the target, but this time, she had to use flaming arrows since she didn't have time to practice with regular arrows between meeting her twin, the garden party, and rescuing Sunset from Starlight. With the coronation only about two days away, it was vital she used flaming arrows.

Discord was in firefighter getup as were most of her sisters and brothers-in-law trying to help her get the target, but so far, they had to put out a couple of fires when arrows hit the grass, shrubs, and trees.

Sunset then came up to her, "How's it going?"

Flash was coughing from the smoke as Twilight had nearly set him on fire and Discord had to use a fire extinguisher on him, "Well, I think we're getting closer."

"Yeah, closer to causing a forest fire!" Rainbow said.

"I just can't get it!" Twilight pouted.

"Hmm…" Sunset eyed the target and then the bow her sister was holding, "Mind if I give it a shot?"

Twilight gave a small giggle, "Well, sure, but since you're my twin, there's a high chance you'll do just as bad as me."

"We'll see," she smirked. She readied herself with a bow and a flaming arrow. She looked straight at the target, and then in one release, the arrow landed right in the middle of the bulls-eye. There was silence until a cheer went out.

Sunset could see Twilight gaping as she sputtered out, "But… but how…?"

Sunset shook her head in amusement, "You're thinking too hard. You need to relax… I noticed you were looking tense when trying to shoot your arrows."

Twilight sighed, "Yeah… I can't… I can't stop thinking about being queen… I just know I'll be terrible at it!"

There was groaning as Rainbow said, "Not this again! Didn't we already establish you'll be a great queen?"

"But that's just it! Every pony will be expecting that from me. I can't let them down!"

"You won't…" Sunset stated.

"But how can you be sure?"

"I'm sure because you came to my rescue when I asked for it. Then when I was fed a terrible lie and demanded you leave me alone, you came back anyway and showed me the truth… Twilight, it doesn't matter if you're a great queen or not. You are a true leader who always looks out for those who need your help… This is what you were meant to do…" she smiled.

Twilight beamed and took back her bow and arrow. She looked straight at the target and took a breath. She then released the arrow and for the first time, it landed in the target!

Those around her cheered excitedly and her husband gave her a big wet kiss.

It was one minute before their mother would raise the Summer Sun as ponies gathered on the grounds to watch. Two lanterns were on a balcony; one had a twelve-pointed purple star while the other had a red and orange sun. The royal guard sounded the trumpets as Queen Celestia made her appearance on a platform with the golden sun was behind her. She called out to her subjects.

"Citizens of Canterlot, it is with great joy that I raise the Summer Sun, but it is even with greater joy that I celebrate the birth of my two daughters!"

There was mild confusion until Celestia looked up to the balcony and announced, "I give you Princess Sunset Shimmer and Princess Twilight Sparkle!"

There was a great cheer as the two mares went toward the lanterns and gave each other a nod. Sunset released Twilight's cutie mark lantern and Twilight released Sunset's cutie mark lantern. The lanterns went high into the sky and ended up clashing each other just as their mother raised the sun, causing a bright glow.

The girls looked back to see their sisters and families giving off smiles.

As the day went on, the sisters went off on their own, causing their husbands to wonder what they were up to. They soon got their answer as they were summoned to the ballroom along with the king and queen late at night once the kids had gone to sleep.

The curtains were drawn on the stage as they took their seats and Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom came on stage.

Sweetie went to the conductor's stand carrying a baton while Scootaloo went to where the piano was and started to warm-up, just as Apple Bloom was getting ready to lift the curtains up. Sweetie tapped on the stand and signaled Scootaloo to play. She did so as Apple Bloom raised the curtain and one by one, their sisters except Twilight came on stage. They started singing.

"Ah, we are the daughters of Sombra, great father who loves us and name us well!"

Celestia smirked at her husband as he looked touched. The girls then each sang out of their own names.

"Fluttershy…"

"Rarity…"

"Applejack…"

"Rainbow Dash…"

"Pinkie Pie…"

"Sunset Shimmer…"

They sang together, "And Twilight! In concert we hope to enlighten the heart of ponies with music's swell, Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy vocalized, "Ahhh!"

"Rarity!"

Rarity did as Fluttershy did, "Ahhh!"

"Applejack!"

"Ahhh!"

"Rainbow Dash!"

"Ahhh!"

"Pinkie Pie!"

"Ahhh!"

"Sunset Shimmer!"

"Ahhh!"

Then, they sang all together, "And then there is the youngest in her crowning debut! Our seventh little sister, we're presenting her to you! To sing a song, Sweetie Belle wrote, her voice is like a bell, it's our sister, Twilight Sparkle!"

Every pony applauded as they took a quick bow and made way for Twilight as she addressed her family, "Thank you. I would like to dedicate this song to my twin, Sunset Shimmer. If she's willing, she will help me with some of the lyrics." She grinned at her.

Sunset nodded, "Whenever you're ready, Twily." She winked.

"You got it, Sunny," she giggled, causing their sisters to roll their eyes and their parents to laugh. She took a breath as she faced her audience and started singing while looking at Sunset, "I can tell we got an awful lot in common… Even though we look as different as can be… We don't even have to try to see things eye to eye, it just comes to us naturally… Come to think of it, I think we fit together… Playing cat and mouse won't get us very far… There's no need to feud and fuss when it isn't really us, let's you and me be who we are… We're a duo, a duo, a pair of lonely ones who were meant to be a two-o, a duo, it's true-o wherever we go, we're going me and you, oh, no matter what now we've got one another… We'll be there to pick each other off of the floor… Anytime you're feeling glum, count on me being your chum!"

Sunset came in and danced while singing, "If you get an itch attack, I'll be there to scratch your back!"

Twilight sang while dancing with her twin in sync, "Now who could ever ask for more! We're friends and that's what friends are for…

They both then sang together, "We're a duo, a duo, a pair of lonely ones, who were meant to be a two-o, a duo, it's true-o, if we're ever in a stew, we know we can make it through, cause you're got me and I got you!"

They stopped and took a bow as everyone around them cheered.

"Oh, bravo, my darlings!" Celestia shouted in approval.

Twilight then said, "And now, to finish our concert, we have a very special song to sing…"

They smiled as the girls went in a straight line in order of their birth. Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo joined them this time. They looked at their parents and started to sing the lullaby they were taught a long time ago. The King and Queen looked on with pride and Celestia nearly released a few tears. All of her girls, her daughters were all together at last…

Sombra was feeling the same way. His little girls, as grown-up as they may have been, would still be small in his mind, but he felt proud of all they had accomplished in life.

When they were done with the song, they went down to their parents as they opened their arms for their daughters and embraced them. The husbands looked on with content.

Moments later, they were outside so that Twilight could shoot the flaming arrow into the coronation ring. She readied herself as everyone looked with anticipation, but once she looked at Sunset and remembered what she told her, she relaxed herself and released the arrow. To her and everyone else's surprise, she did it! The ring was on fire as they cheered on. Later, when good nights were exchanged, Twilight realized what tomorrow was going to be, but with a final look to her sisters, she knew she could face it…

The next morning, everything was in a rush. The castle staff was hurrying as they prepared for the coronation ceremony that would happen that afternoon. The royal family had to get dressed and ready. The princesses had on gowns fit for a coronation as they were busy getting their children dressed.

Screw Ball was fidgeting in her dress and so was Whirl Wind in his suit. Twilight was standing on a platform as the seamstresses helped her into her finished pink and white gown. She stared into a double-way mirror and her twin appeared behind her in a turquoise gown while wearing a tiara.

"Looking good there, Sis."

"Thanks, you too…"

"Nervous?"

Twilight slowly nodded.

Sunset placed her hoof on her shoulder as her twin grasped it.

"You really think I can do this?"

"Twilight, I already told you: if you could save me from a controlling guardian who had me locked up in a tower, then you can rule an entire kingdom. You set me free, now it's my turn to set you free…"

Twilight smiled as they embraced.

The ceremony was underway. The entire royal family was there on a giant platform while the guests that were invited to witness the grand event first-hoof filled the room as they waited for the princess who was to be crowned the next queen of Canterlot.

Celestia proclaimed, "Welcome! We gather today for a momentous occasion! While it has been decided since her birth, my youngest born, Princess Twilight Sparkle, has proven without a doubt that she was meant to succeed my husband and me and take the crown and all the responsibility that comes with it. While the rest of our daughters do not have to this burden like their sister, they are just as royal and regal. They have done much to keep Equestria a safe and happy place. Their father and I are very proud…" she smiled at her girls as they returned it. She then went back to those watching on.

"But the princesses would like to admit it was because of their sister that they managed to do the things they did for Equestria. Ladies and gentlecolts, I now present to you your new queen, Twilight Sparkle!"

Heads turned as the double doors opened and a choir sang out as Twilight walked gracefully in and up the aisle. She could see her sisters, their husbands, her nieces, and nephews being with them, their cousin and her husband with their daughter, her aunt being next to them, her own husband with their children, and finally her parents, all of them beaming at her as she made it to the end.

Once she reached her mother, she turned around and Celestia took off her own crown and placed it atop her daughter's head. Sombra did the same as he placed his crown atop Flash's head. Celestia declared, "I give you Queen Twilight Sparkle!" The crowd erupted into cheers. Then, Twilight had to make her way to the balcony to look down upon her subjects.

"My friends!" she called out to them. "As your new queen, I will let the wise leadership of my parents be my guide!" There were cheers until she continued, "I will always have the kindness, generosity, honesty, loyalty, laughter, and empathy of my six older sisters, but also the courage of my three younger sisters." She looked back and waved them over to come onto the balcony with her. "With them, I know I'll be the best queen I can be… Thank you, my sisters, and thank you, every pony…"

There more cheers as they headed back inside.

Celestia was lowering the sun as Luna was getting ready to raise the moon. The royal family was outside on the castle steps as Sunset was about to prepare to leave as Double Diamond, Party Favor, Sugar Belle, and Night Gilder were getting ready to go with her. Twilight was sad as she faced her twin.

"Are you sure? Really sure?"

"I'm sure," Sunset smiled. "There's so much I want to see and do. I had to read about far-off places in dusty, old books all my life when, really, I wanted to get my hooves dirty."

"I understand. It's just… we've finally found each other after all these years and now that you're going…"

"Hey," she touched her twin's chin, "I'll be back before you know it… You can't get rid of me that easily."

That made Twilight grin. The two embraced as small tears came down. Then Sunset moved to her other sisters and hugged her nieces and nephews.

"I'm going to miss you, Aunt Sunset." said Starling.

Sunset rubbed her head, "I'll miss you, too, kiddo." Then, she went to her parents as they had a long embrace before she pulled away to join her friends. She waved to her family as they started to go. She then started to sing.

"And you're always free to begin again… And you're always free to believe… When you find the place that your heart belongs… You'll never leave…"

Twilight sang, "You and I will always be… celebrating life together…"

They both sang out, "I know I have found a friend forevermore!"

Twilight sang again as she looked at her sisters and their beloveds, including her own, "Love is like a melody… One that I will always treasure…"

Then all of the princesses sang, "Courage is the key that opens every door! Though you may not know where your gifts may lead and it may not show at the start when you live your dream, you'll find destiny is written in your heart…"

The royal couples and their children gathered together as every pony sang out, "Though you may not know where your gifts may lead and it may not show at the start… When you live your dream you'll find destiny is written in your heart!"

Author's Note:

Songs featured were Daughters of Triton from The Little Mermaid Broadway show, A Duo from An American Tail, and Written in Your Heart from The Princess and the Pauper. And… That's it! The grand finale! Fun fact: "Written in Your Heart" was intended to be the end song back in The Midnight Dance, so it was a completed circle of life from the original story to its last… Sighs… It's actually very sad… I want to thank all of you for sticking from the beginning to this exciting conclusion. Just so you know, I have lots of other MLP fanfictions on FanFiction.net, but some of it might be outdated. Let me know if I should post any of them on here. Thanks again, you’ve been a great audience.

Comments ( 23 )

Aawww I can't believe it's finished :fluttershysad:
I loved it a lot though! Sunset gets her family! :yay:

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!!!!!!:raritystarry:
That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay::pinkiehappy:

6511351
I don't know. I know the story, but not the dialogue.

This is like Rapunzel meets The Parent Trap. It's kind of nice to see a story in this series that isn't shipping-focused. It's also nice to have a story where someone doesn't almost die.

Comment posted by CartoonNerd12 deleted Dec 3rd, 2015

6692938
Yeah, it was getting kind-of old. At first, Twilight was going to almost to die only for Sunset to heal her, but then the story took off in a different direction, so it was a nice change of pace. :twilightsmile:

6985980 I thought I did in Sweet Pea but shoot, maybe I didn't. :rainbowderp: but yes, he is a Pegasus.

6990476 I would love to ship her with someone, yes, but I haven't seen any colts that are right for her yet. I can only hope that in the fourth Equestria Girls movie, we'll get someone that Sunset will be interested in. :applejackunsure:

6995571 As much as I love the EG movies, I really wish they had more boy characters with good character development. :ajbemused: Then again, what did I expect from a series with a name like Equestria GIRLS?

I probably should have asked earlier, but why is Twilight the youngest and Fluttershy the oldest?

7008040 I wanted to stay true to their ages in show, since it's been pointed out that Fluttershy is the oldest of the group, whether or not, Twilight is the youngest is yet to be determined, it could be Pinkie, :trixieshiftright: who knows? And another reason I had her be the oldest is because she has the oldest boyfriend, it seemed fitting.

So coincidentally, Disney is making a Tangled series, and someone made a pmv using a song from the new series.

Given Sunset's characterization in this AU, it's fitting, is it not?

6694985
I would Like that. I mean Sunset saving Twilight's live...
Even if this was getting kind of old.

Anyway with or without this it was brilliant and ingenious story! The way You ponify Rapunzel, this referrence to two movies based on it (Tangled and Barbie as Rapunzel(and that how accurate they were just amezes me!)), and not only... and all this added threads... even if there was some flaws in realization of few of them that still doesn't change that i just love this story.
Immediatelly goes to favourites. After adding there all three previous stories that would be a crime not add this too. This was my favourite in entire series so far. Not only because of Sunsets appearance (though it was the reason why I started to read this series in the first place) but all in it was beautiful.

9031454
You know what's even more freaky is that before those shorts on Sunset being an artist came out, I didn't think she would have that kind of talent to begin with! I was just paying homage to the Barbie as Rapunzel movie! So either the writers took the idea and expanded it or I'm just so good at predicting Sunset's talents without knowing it! By the way have you seen Rollercoaster of Friendship yet? And if so, what did you think of it?

9031651
I haven't seen it yet. I know I'm going to be waiting a long time, but I'm waiting for the YouTube release.

9046291
Not really, if anything they're the ones that took the idea from here because when my sister shared the summary with me before Forgotten Friendship came out, I knew they were trying to spoof this, I literally screamed, "That's the Phoenix Tear!" The memory stones were supposed to be a reference from Once Upon a Time in Season 4 where Belle got a memory stone from the Head Troll in Arendelle.

9046311
Hmmm, strange. Are the show's writers and major decision makers even allowed to look at fanfiction? :applejackunsure: Aren't there a lot of legal issues that would come with that?

9046527
All the more reason they made it as different as possible. I don't think they were trying to steal it just that they liked the concept themselves that they wanted to use it in EG. And there is a debate whether or not they look at fanfictions, DF says they do but some others say they don't, so I don't know which is true.

9047678
I think in the show they're supposed to have the same dynamtic as Celestia and Luna, like while they're day and night, Sunny and Twily are dusk and dawn.

9569406
That's freaky. :rainbowderp: Considering this was made way before that episode.

9630153
It just shows what a sweet dad he's being and who doesn't want that? :twilightsmile:

9634499
Hmm... I wouldn't know about that, I take brownies over cookies any day but that's just my personal opinion.

Login or register to comment