• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 490 Views, 5 Comments

Edge of Time - Monanniverse



A colossal wave of energy is heading towards Equestria. Princess Twilight and her five comrades must stay in a spaceship designed to gather and trasmit data from the impact. Little do they know, their lives are about to change forever.

  • ...
3
 5
 490

Chapter 3

The Dracaena Marginata is a plant commonly found in the North-East section of Equestria, located primarily in the more mountainous regions. For the locals, it’s referred to by the colloquial name of the ‘Drake’s Breath’; in no small part due to its peculiar crimson leaves and sharp angular designs. It was the one thing that made life high in these mountains remotely hospitable. The first few explorers collapsed into a bed of red – part from exhaustion and part from the darkness creeping in on their vision. They had all made their peace and baptized themselves of sin as their hollow gasps fogged up their lenses when their strength wavered.
Hours later, a handful of them rose from their cold grave. They had all ripped off their breathing apparatus; possibly as a last defiant act against faiths, or as a sign of submission of the inevitable – a matter of perspective. Later, they would find that their savior had little care for their wellbeing. Unlike other plants, which photosynthesize; ‘Drake’s Breath’ takes in the soil through its roots and after sending a current through its solvent, separates magnesium and oxygen through electrolysis.
That same plant now acts as the life line for the HMS Endeavour and all of its inhabitants.

In the eastern wing of the Endeavour was the floral preservation station. The dull white ship’s hull shimmered and pulsed like the drum of a beast. Unlike the mechanical whirring and beeping of the machinery throughout the rest of the ship, this area held and air of calm serenity to it. Particularly to a certain pegasus onboard who spent the majority of her time here, this area was a temple to her – an area of solitude to return into her shell. The last recluse of nature surrounded her, or at least whatever wasn’t bolted down or held in place by plastic bags. Neither of those factors affected her too much; it was home away from home.

Fluttershy embodied nature, or maybe it was the other way around. Before the space program, she had worked as a local vet for the people of Ponyville. The pay was meager, true, but it was enough to move into the greens and offered enough extra for any future issues her quaint life might require. She was content. Unlike her kin, flying was alien to her, not due to any physical handicap, mind you; her wings were gorgeous, strong with a tender fluffiness reminiscent of rose petals. She had no desire for competition and had flunked the majority of her classes during her youth. Her oddities led to bullying and ostracization. She learnt to keep her head down, keep to herself until she graduated.
Animals fascinated her for they were her only friends during those lonely days. It was a rarity to see anything able or willing to fly high enough to reach Wondercolt High, so Fluttershy cherished every visit she received. One night, she awoke to pecking on her window. Her friend was injured, a blue jay – whom she had named Jade – had broken her wings. Bones stuck out of the flesh, a pale sword sheath into searing red flesh. Fluttershy had no idea what to do. Jade died within the hour. After that, Fluttershy learnt to appreciate the value of every being. Her interest drifted to physiology, moreover medicine and the likes, wishing not to feel so helpless again.
Then, Nightmare Moon returned. Fluttershy felt powerless again.

Fluttershy held onto the valve with her moth and twisted. Droplets of a pale green fluid dripped down the conical flask. She noted the amount that had been used. What was once a luminescent pond of blue had faded into a snapshot of Spring.

“Hey ‘Shy, how are the plants lookin’.” came a distant southern drawl – Applejack’s.

Fluttershy squeaked out in shock, swiftly turning around. A pair of hooves meeting her tender lips to silence her cries before she disturbed the rest of the crew. Returning to her works, she replied “Oh, it’s you AJ. Phew, the plants are looking g-great. See here, at this rate of output to soil quantity, we have more than enough for the return journey,” she gestured to a pair of space suits sat on a nearby table “So, I went ahead and replaced the normal oxygen storage onboard with some of the Drake. So, that should give anyone going out there around, um, a d-day-“

“A day?!”

“…or so. I-I mean, I’ll give you a more specific time once I know who’s in the suit.” Fluttershy retreated behind her large bangs, using it as a shield against the brash pony in front of her.

“Heck, ‘Shy, that’s fantastic! Woowie, from a coupl’o hours to a full day. You’re a miracle worker, ‘Shy.”
A deep shade of red spread across Fluttershy’s features.

“So, I’m guessin’ ya emptied those earlier canisters that we used during our tests?”

Fluttershy nodded. “With Rarity’s help.”

“Huh, never thought she would allow someone to tamper with her passioner.” The orange mare scrunched her nose and rolled her eyes as the Prench rolled off of her tongue - nothing personal between her and Rarity – Applejack’s vieil amour had been Prench and the bittersweet taste still clung to her.

“Ah, found you. Twilight is calling everypony to pony their station and take initial readings,” Rarity popped her head in through the opened port, “You need any help with carrying those suits, darling?”

An hour away now.

******

Rainbow Dash had barely squeezed her way onboard the program. Her disabled wings were the driving factors; her recklessness the second. Ponies always told her that she was born to fly. When extended, her wings seared the ground with its shadow - a brilliant overcast of strength. Her feathers were like tips of zenith blades that would streak the sky in veils of wind in ways that would look, to the keen of eye, like tiger claws ripping at a prey. A panther on the prowl, muscles tensed and liked coiled springs ready to leap when allowed to, those were her muscles. With a stroke of her wings, she would be sent spiraling through the air; wind splashing against her face. She was the greatest flier in all of Equestria. She rose through the rankings and found herself charged with a division of her own to lead.

Like Icarus Earth, she fell.

“All shield generators workin’ at max. Readings seem normal… Hey Twi, can ya run another course for the east wing? Wouldn’t want our front row seat to be missing any action,” Her hoof fluttered across a few switches, flicking them on in sequence “Starting up connection with outpost Luna now.”

Twilight peered at Rainbow; her face pale from the blue glow of the screens in front of her. “Any clue why the sensors are off? You checked them right?”
“Personally.”

“These readings just don’t make sense! See here…” With a quick flick of her hoof, the data zipped across onto Rainbow’s screen. “Look at that spike we just had, four kilometers away and two point eight six four to the eleven; what I don’t understand is how we managed to get the exact same readings earlier today when it should have been much lower. This goes against everything we’ve managed to observe back on Terra… I don’t understand.”

A small icon appeared at the corner of Rainbow’s screen – a neon outline of a scroll. “Hey Genius, you’ve got mail. Suggest ya take it now before the rest of the crew get here.” The message darted over to Twilight’s screen. Gingerly tapping away on her keyboard, Twilight pulled a small storage device that had ejected from her station in her teeth. “Send Luna a report of the situation while you’re in coms for me too, willya?”
“Mmmkkayy.” She mumbled.

An hour away.

Author's Note:

Chapter 3 and 4 will be shorter than normal but that's because it's setting up some details for later. Chapter 4 should be up within days.

Comments ( 1 )

Its been around five years now. This story had a good premise and its sad to see that its dead.

Login or register to comment