• Published 19th Jun 2015
  • 547 Views, 10 Comments

Ponyville's Gate - steastritz



When a guy and a girl go cosplaying as baldur's gate characters and buy a book of the dead from a close friend,they get transported to an equestria where adventure is everything! (A part of the Displaced multiverse)

  • ...
5
 10
 547

Second Depression Blues

You know, this isn't what I though of when I said I needed a way of escape. Hold on,let me go back a little,A few minutes back should do it.

A few minutes ago.

The time is June 4th,2015 and I needed a little bit of respite,the reason being is what most people call the "Second Depression" an event most of the elderly in the states think akin to "The Great Depression". It was the last time I got to see my Grandmother,she left me some money in her will,passing her farm and family documents to my Dad. I decided a break would be a necessity,as did my managers after all McDonalds doesn't want a sad guy working on the front counter taking orders with tears in his eyes. They gave me a two week leave, they didn't give me the slip or anything just a two week no pay vacation to get my mind off of things. I decided I would go to my first con in a long time and what better way than to cosplay and impress people? Now was the time to go after all.

My point of interest for this cosplay was a little PS2 game known as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance,a gauntlet-style game based in the Forgotten Realms set of D&D system. I focused on the second Ps2 game,mostly because it had more character. My character of choice was Ysuran Auondril, A Moon Elf Necromancer.

I had everything I needed even a book to carry like the elf would (My mother gave me her Book of Shadows) the only thing I didn't have was a pair of elvish ears,a dog recently chewed them up. I went with my back up plan and tried to contact a friend,but he was out at a rennisance faire,so I resorted to my third plan,buy a set at the con.

It didn't take long for me to get to the con,as minor traffic altercations didn't happen (thank the Gods). When Iwent inside the conference building I made a beeline for the changing room. Getting in my "Gear" I felt as if I was missing something important,something I needed,It wasn't the ears because I didn't have them yet.

"Son of a fuck,I left my book in the car!" I yelled,mentally kicking my own ass.

I couldn't go back,I spent too much time on my costume to get it dirty,plus blk shows nearly every place you've been to by dust and dirt alone. so I only had one thing to do, buy the ears and a good looking book fit for the cosplay. It couldn't be too hard to do since the con has everything a fantasy nerd like myself would need for emergencies such as my own. I started exploring around,getting pictures with some other people,until I eventually found a shop that I could apply the ears if I bought them. I got around to asking where I could buy creepy looking books around and the lady that applied my ears pointed me to a "little asian man's" store. I followed the directions the lady gave me luckily only having to go a few stalls down. When I arrived I noticed that he was'nt around,so I decided to do a little window shopping, looking at the covers of some books and poking around with others,the faint bootsteps of someone comming knocked me out of my reading stupor,then a voice that sounded like it got grated up by a cheese grater.

"You are a leap away from your usual market,Mister." The voice sounded happy to see me.

I loked up,surprised to see that it was a friend of mine that sold airsoft equipment at a flea market I go to.

"Rick? I didn't know you go sell at cons too." I said, lifting my eyes from the book,eventually setting it down. "How is your stall anyway?" I asked him

He lowered his head,the shine in his eyes dying down. "I had to sell some of my guns for $100 extra or more." He said biting his lower lip.

I followed his gaze,a long silence fell over both of us until I decided to break it. " I'm sorry to hear about it Rick." I said,trying to cheer the man up.

More steps were heard,this time much more quicker and powerful then the stall keeper's. I felt a set of arms wrap around my chest and lift me up,squeezing my air supply.

"Heeeeeeeeeeey you!" A highpitched female voice came from my assaulter

I tried to squirm out of the death grip,my lungs were shrinking the longer I stayed in the vice. I finally got the slip,but fell to the back of my head onto some thin plush carpet.

"Ow! Holy Christ,Blaze!" I yelled,jerking my head forward so my hands can grip my head in pain.

She was currently dressed as the Avariel (Winged Elf),Aerie, from the Pc Baldur's Gate games. Her orange and yellow robes sort reaching her calves.

"Sucks to suck, Zeff!" She stuck her tongue out with her usual grin.

I sighed,getting up and brushing myself free of dust as best as I could. "I sometimes get tired of you Blaze." I said,ending my point with a small cloud of dust flying off of me.

With a few conversations between the two friends of mine I finally spotted a book I could use. It was called "The Solar Litany",the book being accented by white Egyptian writings in wax on the black cover. The book itself looked relatively new ,like it had just been made and hot off the presses.
"How much for 'The Solar Litany' book here?" I asked,reaching for a small opening in my armor that led to my wallet. I was stopped short by Rick,raising his hand and shaking his head.
"It is yours,I still owe you back at 'Operation: Victoria' man." He said,his face finally contorting to a smile.

I grabbed the book,then I promptly had another,more slim hand on it as well. Blaze had a small hold on it,making it hard to open the book.It was then that I felt a sort of pain worse than Blaze's "Hug of Destruction". Red filled my vision as multiple voices played out in my head like a sick instrument. The voices sounded like the ones I knew closely that died in my life, eventually blacking out at the sound of my deceased grandmother.

Now ,???, 2015?

If you could only see what I am right now,nothing special really just a small valley, an unconscious girl on the ground,a huge burn mark below me and the previously mentioned unconcious girl. I have no idea or any form of an idea where we are right now,it reminded me of The Trade Way from the games, a small dirt road leading to somewhere unknown. I felt my stomach heave a little bit,but nothing came out. I felt my heart beat like the hammer of a revolver being fanned. Between me panicing on what to do and Blaze asleep,my day turned from nice and happy to "what the fuck" in the course of fourty-something minutes. Then as if god himself said "fuck off" I heard voices from the general distance of a click away deciding that I had a few minutes to kill before Blaze and I both get killed by whoever is out here I checked the "Litany",the pages were stuck together with some adhesive,only the first three pages were open to view,they gave me something I could use if I needed it.

The first page gave me some information some I already knew,but information nontheless. It had this to say: "Ysuran Auondril,Necromancer otherwise known as a magician of ill intent by others." The second page had something better,something I could use if the people comming weren't so kind: "Life Drain, You are able to shoot small red darts that saps the energy of your enemy." Finally, the third and last page gave me another useful tidbit: "Shield, You conjure up a small aegis that floats around you,dapeming damage from both missiles and weapons." I sat down next to Blaze,my brows stitching together as her breathing rose and fell.

Whoever was coming,I hoped they had enough mercy to not kill us.

Author's Note:

Yo!
So for a fun fact: this is actually my first fic,if its okay...could I get some tips,cause I think I kinda fuged up in this one.
Oh,also I'm writing on mobile,so it cuts off on my screen after some words and I'm flying blind so grammar Nazi-ism is allowed so I can get better.
Thanks!
Zefer/Stea