• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 8,775 Views, 425 Comments

I Am Not a Charlatan! I Am Mysterio, Master of the Arcane Arts! - The Quidam



Ethan Mcintyre had dreams to become an actor, magician, and/or special effects artist. So who else should he go to a convention as, but the supervillain, Mysterio! How could things have ended with him in a magical world due to a mysterious figure?

  • ...
33
 425
 8,775

Bonus Issue-Making a Mark [Epilogue]-Word Gets Around

Author's Note:

Well this chapter became MUCH longer than I originally intended! Consider that a good thing though, because it was a lot of fun to write, especially with all these characters that have been spotlighted in it! It is an episodic format, which I think really works for these 'Bonus Issues'.

I really hope you all will take the time to tell me what you think if you enjoy it, because not only would I appreciate the feedback, but it would also give me tips on who should appear next in this story? Maybe even give my other stories and chapters a glance, because your likes are my creative fuel. Also remember, I like your comments, and this chapter is what I hope to be a great reward to all my readers who enjoy my story so far. Now, without further ado, let us see what may happen when word about a sorcerer named Mysterio gets around!

<I know how it will happen being that I have seen it happen before. Word begins to spread. Like fire it lights the fuse. It is only a matter of time before it reaches the keg and explodes. Even then, will you be blown to bits? Or there to enjoy the fireworks?>

[}0{]

|The Good Boy|

Across the desert plains was a lone stranger. He stood an impressive height of over six feet, yet seemed to have a pretty skinny build about him. Yet what seemed to be odder about him was how he was dressed. The usual desert inhabitants with sentience dressed for the dessert in cloaks. He too had one, but it could also be seen that he wore a dirty Hakama under it. His large Diamond Dog Paws were covered by gloves big enough to fit them. He also covered his features in a large straw hat. However, a tail that could only belong to a Shikoku Inu could be seen sticking out from his clothes. That and the handles of three swords.

It had been many days since the Stranger encountered other beings like himself. He had simply been wandering this desert in search of food and drink, or the very least a means to achieve it. He got by well enough. A Dog with his skills always knew how to make due. Yet he always did his best to maintain honor. An exile he was, but he still tried to be a good boy!

Sometimes he had to sell his skill with the sword order to survive. He never took jobs that he considered abrasive or discouraging. Yet he did work occasionally with unsavory packs. For instance, The Desert Ash asked him to help once or twice defend their territory from other packs. He would turn them down once or twice if they tried anything disruptive like raiding, and from these three members’ poor conditions, it appeared their latest attempt at hitting a big score failed immensely.

“Stranger! You got to help us!” The first coyote yipped as he padded to the sworddoggie.

“A mage-no! A Death Master! He came and killed some of us and then unkilled them! So we needs helps to beat him!” A taller second coyote cried.

The Stranger had to tilt his head at that. A Death Master? Just what had Desert Ash stick its noses in?

“It true! He even was powerful enough to punch a whole Tartarus!” The third and shortest coyote yelped at fear of the recollection. “So we have been tryings to gets more helps to take him ons! You is the first we thinks to asks! Won’t you helps us?”

“We will pays you for your help!” The tall coyote reached into the folds of his clothes for whatever he could find. “Lookit! Here are a few shinies to start with!”

He pulled out a few gems of decent size and color out. But what drew The Stranger’s eye and nose was the cloth he unintentionally pulled out as well. It emitted a scent that he hadn’t smelt in years. Could it be-?

“Ain't that a piece of that Bitch’s clothes?” The first one asked.

“Yep! Must have pockets it in the scuffle.” The taller coyote nodded in confirmation. “Doubt you would have liked her, stranger! She was tough as a bull.”

“And nearly bigger than a bear!” The third added to which all three coyotes laughed. “Definitely not the first thing you go for at a pet shop-!”

-Chink!-Snickt!-

“Ulp!” The third one collapsed as blood spurted out of his body. When he hit the ground, a collection of slashes were revealed to be gouged into his torso and arms.

The other two coyotes looked at their fallen pack mate and back at the stranger in fear. He had a pair of long and surprisingly well kept swords pointed at them. Seeing that he had their attention, he lowered one and started etching into the dirt bellow.

{TALK HONEST-LIKE}

Was what he wrote into the sand in Doggie Script. Followed by,

{WHAT YOU DO TO HER?}

“I didn’t do nothin’ to her! Alpha wanted to take her as bonus for raiding the junky place! But this Magic-fellow came and stopped us!” The first coyote nodded frantically as he tried to explain. “We thought he ran away when we try to takes the pup, but he cames back and-URK!!”

-Snickt!-

This coyote said the wrong thing and thus he too fell as a cut up mess!

This left the tall one who realized that the Stranger seemed to be a bit bigger than even he. He began to sit with his tail curled in the Doggie form of surrender, knowing that as the one who pocketed the cloth, he was destined for the worst fate.

The Stranger started to etch again with a sword.

{WHICH WAY TO HER?}

The coyote raised a shaking hand towards the direction of Clutter Coulee.

{NOW WHICH PAW DO YOU FAVOR?}

The coyote breathed heavily as he finished reading. He braced himself as he answered without wetting himself, “R-R-Right..”

He then howled until his throat went hoarse and his body wore out into unconsciousness. The pain of having a limb crippled like that would do it!

The Stranger didn't care for this coyote’s plight. He let him off easy by breaking the limb instead of cutting it off. That and taking their supplies and canteens! But now he had to hurry.

He remembered her well. That sweet, shapely She-doggie back when he was still part of a pack! Sometimes he thought of her, and how she would tease him with acting and dressing like a japoniese schoolfilly when they swung by the pet shop she inhabited. It was the special treatment he would get for keeping her and her sister safe from more rough types of doggies.

“Please take good care of me, sworddoggie-san, desu~!!”

He remembered other things as well of course, but he found himself thinking more fondly of the times he spent watching out for Bo and Norah. It made him feel good about being a darknu-.

The Stranger shook his head rapidly as he regained focus. He had a long trek to go and could not afford to loose his sense of direction. Hopefully soon, he would find himself standing in front of that she-doggie and protecting her from this wicked ‘Death Master’!

[}0{]

|The Warlord|

Back at their headquarters, the rest if the Desert Ash were not faring any better. While some had parted to acquire some much needed supplies(booze!) to help their recovery, the rest dragged their near carcasses to their den in hopes of resting with at least minimal nightmares. Instead of finding their lair empty like they left it, they found it occupied by female Diamond Dogs!

To think that any other day they might have been excited to encounter female attention. Such a thing to them was like finding a cactus full of fermented juices: a celebration! But not these females. For those of the Golden Nailed Pack were infamous to even desert outskirts lowlifes like Quarry.

There were several packs that one would never hope to face, and they were one if them!

They stood out by having their members consist mostly of female dogs. Sure that implied that some of them were pretty and attractive to the coyotes, but they pushed that aside after the first glance that they knew the truth: Each of them were more than capable of giving a dog a hard time in a fight!

From the simple digger types, to the more sleek breeds like Collies, these femmes were built with the muscles that crafted the amazons! Even more unnerving was that it was a pack mostly of hyenas; a species whose members were some of the most brutal of dogs, and females were naturally bigger and stronger than most males.

Each of them was dressed simply, yet exotically for the Zebrican savannah with fur pelts and clothing that were made to show off their physically impressive prowess. They were hunters by trade, and had to be better trained to face off against the beasts that lived there. They were also rich as shown by their golden ornaments of all kinds. Some carried weapons, like halberds, spears, and whips as well as a few bowstrings. But it was clear that a great deal of them had no problems fighting barehanded, for they had the muscle mass to back it up.

Even with all that said Quarry was facing the worst of the brush. For who else was there to confront him, but the big bad matriarch of the Golden Nailed herself!

She stood at a whopping 7 feet, give or take. It was a bit harder to tell with her wild mane of hair that was long to her tail, yet spiky all the way to the top of her ears. Then again, her body was all the more distracting than her height with her massive musculature and curvature that would make even hardworking stallions and appearance crazed mares weep in envy. Her biceps and hamstrings were thick trunks of might. Her paws, already enlarged by Diamond Dog genetics, were further boosted by her choice breeding and had a long nail tempered with gold polish at each fingertip. Her clothing was a golden yellow with black rosettes spread about. Which contrasted with her darkened fur and darker spots upon it. It was open like a vest, yet strung together in ropes like a corset, showing off her back, goods, and abdominals. Even still, her outfit did it’s best to contain her more prominent bust with how open it seemed to be. Yet almost as a joke, covering her ‘bazongas’ were large green eyes that were printed onto her top. It had a furry collar like a lion’s mane; perhaps it was? She had a studded belt and matching skirt that completed the ensemble. So overall, her outfit was reminiscent if a wildcat ready to prowl.

She was adorned in gold jewelry of all types. From wearable types like rings, bangles, and anklets of gold to her more prominent piercings like her earrings, nose ring, and bellybutton piercing. Her most outlandish one appeared to be the gold necklace she wore. It not only was a collection of gold links, but of teeth that came from the jaws of a large rockodile! Gold was the theme of this femme. Gold jewelry, nails, even her eye color! Yet it all paled in shine to her body’s centerpiece: a branded tattoo of a lion’s face with her paw-print emblazoned in gold on her muscle-ridged back! Quarry only caught a glimpse of it, but he knew that the moment he saw that symbol and the other she-doggies that wore it, he and his pack were done for!

Hyenas were matriarchal, and none stood to be more prominent of their attributes today than the Golden Nailed’s current Malkia(queen), Zolotaya. To sum it all up, this bitch was jacked, stacked, and loaded as well as one of the strongest warlords in the Diamond Dog realms!

Currently the mighty alpha was crouched down to make eye contact with the smaller one. She didn’t say a word, but gave a simple signal to one of her underlings. She was a smaller, but still pretty tough Labrador who came by with a case that was promptly opened. Zolotaya used only two fingers to reach for one of the contents which were a couple rows of fanciful looking cigars. For a moment, she seemed to debate internally about her decision, but then went through with placing it into Quarry’s maw. She then snapped two of her golden nails and produced a spark to light it.

Quarry didn’t even smoke cigs, let alone thick cigars of strange weed, but considering that the paw that lit it was already bigger than his muzzle, he didn’t feel compelled to state that fact. He tried his best to hide his sputtering cough from the smoke, but the widening grin on the hyena’s face told him she knew, she just didn't give a damn!

“So, Quarry is it? You know why I’ve come here?” She spoke with an accent that seemed a bit deeper than a hyena and more like a Laika or a Husky.

The Desert Ash Alpha weakly shook his head in negative, not daring to speak.

“No? Den tell me den, your pack has been trying to make a name for itself round dese parts. Ever hear of a place called Clutter Coulee?”

Quarry thought about lying, but nodded his head yes to at least keep her talking with a calm edge.

“You know who owns Clutter Coulee?” She asked before gazing around at the other Golden Nailed members scattered in attendance. “Because last I checked it was home to my dear ‘former pack-sister’ Bo and her own little-pup sister, Norah?”

Quarry’s eyes widened as he realized why Bo seemed so familiar when they met. It unfortunately told Zolotaya what she needed to confirm.

“Imagine my surprise, when a few of my scouts I keeps nearby comes and tells me that a dragon flew dere!” She widened her own eyes dramatically in mock surprise as she went further into her tale. “I knows, right? So I’m ready to go help my siblings if deys are in trouble, currently comrades or not! Den word reaches me that dis group of yippee upstarts wants to raid out nearby scrapyards, starting with Clutter Coulee.”

A massive paw reached out and grabbed Quarry by the head. It gripped tightly as if it was about to crush his skull like a berry, but then let go. The coyote was huffing the cigar desperately to calm down for the hyena was becoming angrier with every second.

“And then, blah-blah-blah! I eventually get here to kick ass and take names or pelts, wheechever first, of these pups of lowly bitches who think they can get away with it! I have my pack come here when it is clear to wait on them like good hunters. Only dere is no sport! No Challenge! To make it worse, I find this group of pups licking their wounds with their tails tucked over their asses and one of them has this,” she reached into her pocket and pulled out a scrap of cloth that she smacked Quarry in the face with enough force to redden his muzzle. It was a piece of Bo’s shirt undoubtedly ripped like a trophy by one of Quarry’s pack. “tucked into their pockets like dirty hankies!

Quarry spat out the cigar, and immediately went into a tangent to explain the Desert Ash’s side of things. “We didn’t do nothing to them! Honest! Had we known they was with you-!!”

He immediately stopped as Zolotaya laid a single large pointer finger over his mouth. The action alone was enough to put her well manicured nail a few inches from his last good eye.

“Shh-shh-shh! Don't waste ‘nother word! I’m sure your pack is going to give me a good yarn!” She smiled a canine grinned as she teased with the possibility of just fully blinding the dog. But it still wouldn’t be enough. Oh no! She had worse in mind for this pup of a putrid bitch! “But it has to be shown that I don't like it when others touch my sisters against their will. So look on the bright side: you’ll be getting your weight in gold!”

With her other paw she thrust her nails into his chest in a pronged grip. Only, as her eyes began to glow with a golden hue, it could be seen that ripping his organs out was not her intention.

It took Quarry a minute to catch her meaning, but as he did, the cold paralysis had already begun to set in. He howled in agony and grief as it spread from Zolotaya’s grip. He glanced quickly at the spot, before the pain of his heart seizing stepped in. What he saw would have stopped it regardless:

From the contact point of Zolotaya’s nails, was a metallic yellow shine spreading into his clothes, flesh, and open wounds!

It took two minutes for his consciousness to fade. But had he been able to speak, Quarry may have described the sensation of being transmuted into gold as a mixture of drowning while boiling then freezing slowly.

The other Desert Ash pack-mates gaped in horror at their alpha’s death! The Golden Nailed members seemed to find it humorous and none more so than their leader who was hackling like the hyena she was!

“Oh da look on his face when he gots da joke! Priceless!” She wiped a tear. “I swear, I slay me sometimes! Huh!

One of her fellow hyenas stepped forward with a couple others to pick up the golden Quarry statue. “What you wants to do with him now, Malkia?”

The Alpha settled herself down as she nonchalantly waved a hand to shoo the statue away.

“Have him melted down into rings or somethings! Big Boss Crunch knows how much we can make off of such cheap material as dis dud of a pup.” She didn’t really care, so long as it wasn’t jewelry she’d end up wearing. Besides, she had more pressing concerns to get back to as she stared into the frightened eyes of the remaining Desert Ash. “As for da rest, well now…”

She gave a gleaming gaze as she struck a pose, knowing she had their undivided attention, lest they meet the fate of their late alpha.

“Won’t you tell dis Mama Jama why a dragon came to Clutter Coulee and who was riding it to cause you all to roll on your bellies in fear, before I even set one paw in here?”

By the time their business was finished, Desert Ash would be a distant memory thanks to the ‘corrective counseling’ of Golden Nailed. As for their leader, whether it was from the news, or the new fragrant sent of blood in the air, there was the rancorous laughter of a hyena echoing out into the night.

After all, no prey could ever hope to escape the one known as the Zolotaya Romashka “Dhahabu Chui” (“Golden Leopard”) Kravinoff, heir of the clan Kraven.

[}0{]

|The Bar Patrons|

Elsewhere, near the border of the desert and closer to the edge of the badlands, was a ramshackle town with no name anyone cared to mention. One of its main attractions was a bar whose name its patrons tended to get too drunk to recall. But to those still sober, they could read the sign that decreed it as “The Drunk Skunk Tavern”. It was here that the last few members of Desert Ash were drinking away their troubles and having some good hard liquor would make them numb to their woes. These few were planning on deserting the pack (ironically not knowing they were currently the last of it!),which would be a great big stain on their reps. But who could blame them, considering what they just went through?

“So, how about we goes to the southern mining towns? We is bounds to finds works there as diggers!”

“You stupid? We needs to gets underground!” Another shot down the idea as he kept frantically sipping his mug. “Otherwise HE’s going to find us!”

“Who’s going to find you?” A voice interrupted their scheming. The coyotes turned to face the one who asked the question, and immediately found their tails wagging!

She was a Collie type Diamond Dog. Her fur color was a deep midnight black with white central fur. Her form was tall, shapely, and wrapped up in a long green dress that showed off her curves. At she wasn’t alone! She had enough friends for all of them that each possessed a similar stature and dress.

“You can tell us. I won’t bite! Not certain about the others though~!” She gave a wink at that! Her friends giggled and even made chomping motions as they ushered the former Desert Ash members to their table.

The coyotes were practically salivating at the thought of being able to get with this doggie’s company. So of course they hurried to sit down, and have a few more rounds, thinking their luck was getting better.

“So what brings some nice, strong doggies this way? Nothing bad, I hope?” One of Collie dogs asked.

“Nothing major! Just got into a fight with our former alpha over dividing the shinies, and so we decided to leave!” One of the coyotes said, trying to sound impressive.

“Yep, especially after this last job! Was not worth the trouble!” Another one added with a sip of his drink. “Not worth dying fors! For sures!”

“Dying? Sounds pretty dangerous! What happened?” Another asked as she tiptoed her nails up a coyote's neck. “If you’re up for telling us, that is! Wouldn’t want to be considered nosy in somedoggie’s business now!”

This coyote gleefully shivered at the sensation. “Not at all, so longs as you pretties don’t get scared!”

“Oh, I think we’ll be alright with you handsome doggies around to keep us safe!” The lead Collie teased.

“I don’t know, I tend to get nightmares easily, and need somedoggie to curl up to to keep them away!” One softly cried.

This made the slightly inebriated coyotes only more eager to tell the story! And so they did.

They spoke if how their alpha planned to make their pack a new rising star by gathering scraps. They first struck a scrapyard known as Clutter Coulee and expected to be easy pickings for their large pack of desert raiders. Only, it was to their surprise, being visited by a sorcerer and his dragoness servant!

The Collies’ ears perked up at that as well as many of the other patrons of the bar! Even the bartender was noticeably leaning more towards their table as he tried to show discretion by wiping glasses clean.

The dogs continued as they increased their enthusiasm by the booze they drank. They spoke of how they drove the sorcerer into fleeing with a pup, while leaving behind his draconic servant to be captured as well as the ‘fatass bitch’ of an owner and her ‘big, yappy unicorn pet’.

The Collies seemed to be hiding a sense of distaste at their plans for them. Still, one had to ask, “So it sounds like you are pretty successful. Why are you all so scared then?”

The former Desert Ash gave a long hard look at each other before finally taking a last shot of liquid courage together. At this point their words were starting to slur, but the fear had yet to be lost from their voices.

“Because he cames back, and cames back PISSED!”

“He said stuff like ‘Mens go to jails! Doggies get puts down!’ Or something likes that!”

“And he started killing us while singing about brown cows!”

“He was crazy!”

“And that’s not the worst things!”

The Collies looked at the frantic dogs with worried curiosity as their leader asked, “What were the worst things?”

The coyotes shuddered as one of them finally spoke out, “He is Death Master!”

“Bullshit!” A random patron shouted out. The bartender seemed to take offense to the phrase, but could not tell who said it. Everyone in this bar was fully enraptured in this tale.

The coyotes seemed a bit too drunk to care that their conversation was not so private as one argued back, “No, it’s true! He just snapped his fingers and we all started to get up fine like we were just beaten and bruised. Not stabbed to death like this doggie here!”

“Yeah! He stabbed me through the eye! I felt it go through my face, then blackness, then I wakes up with just a black eye!” He pointed out his wound around his eye, but then pointed at the bruise at the back of his head. It was the perfect match for a piercing attack!

“And then he opened Tartarus for a moment!” Another concluded. “There was this horrible demon that nearly gots out before he closed it back up again! It’s head alone was bigger than an Ursa with six tomes the teeth!”

The entire bar went silent at that. Before they were at least whispering amongst themselves, but now they were all dead silent.

“So how did you escape?” The Collie leader asked.

“He let us go.” A coyote finally admitted. “So long as we never set foot in Clutter Coulee and spread his message!”

“What message?”

At the instant she uttered the question, all the coyotes stopped in place before sitting up straight and began speaking as one with their their eyes dulled out and said.

He is Mysterio! One who is a master of the senses and of the illusions you consider reality! He is the one who will not only break your body, but your mind! To him, life is but a dream and only those who live with dignity deserve to take part in it! All who live like animals will be left broken in the dust! The rest will end up meeting a fate more dignified than the cowardice of dogs!” They all simultaneously lifted their glasses as if to toast to him. “Now go and spread the word to your masters: Clutter Coulee is now under his protection as a part of the Wonder Domain!

They each took their mugs and chugged them in one smooth drink. When they set them back on the table, they took notice of the frightened stares of everyone in the room.

“Somethings going on? Why is everyones staring like that?” One coyote asked stupidly. He had no clue what just occurred with his pack mates.

“I think you should call it a night, dears!” A Collie leant close. “Seems you had way too much to drink!”

“A night? But I am not –hic- sleepies yet!” One felt the drunken sense of drowsiness approach him.

“Oh, but it probably would be best if you go! You have been through a lot already! Doesn’t seem right to ruin your night on top of it.” Another Collie added.

“But you could makes –hic- all betters if you want to!” A coyote stupidly said. His implication was not lost to these females.

The Collies giggled as the leader pointed out, “Believe me, we aren’t those kinds of bitches! Still, are you sure you want to show us all a good time?”

“Of course! We faced –hic- a sorcerer who could open Tartarus and kill then unkill us! You shouldn't be –hic- such a challenge!”

At that, the females all gave a very straight-faced expression with pursed muzzles. Their leader then gave a quick tilt of her head, as an indicator to ‘go for it’. So they each paired up with a coyote and got in close. Some sat next to one and snuggled in close while a few were more daring and sat in their laps. Each of them slowly led their partner into a deep kiss.

Their leader was currently sitting front to front in a coyote's lap. Her muzzle was inching closer and closer to his as she slowly asked, “Remember when I said I wouldn’t bite?”

“Yep!” The coyote was excited at the prospect of finally having something go right for him for a change.

She got in close to whisper into his ear, “I lied.”

And then lowered her lips onto his own for a deep and dominating kiss!

The coyote was feeling immensely good. The feeling of the female’s mouth playing dominate to his own was an unexpected turn, but he would rectify that with his own technique-!

He suddenly opened his eyes as he felt like a deep sense of emptiness was filling him up after taking away all the pleasure and joy he felt. It was slowly replaced with fear, but that too was being taken away from him!

He moved his eyes to see his comrades were facing similar struggles as each female held them down with a surprising amount of strength.no matter how they punched or kicked, they would not release their lip-locks! Eventually he noticed a couple coyotes stopped moving altogether and were tossed to the floor like drooling sacks of flesh.

He looked back to this female kissing him and noticed now that her eyes were glowing green with power. She gave a flirty wink as he let out a muffled scream. A moment later, he was nothing more than an empty shell in the shape of a dog.

The females all wiped their mouths as they took a swig of their drinks to wash out out the taste of canines on their tongues. A few smacked their lips, while a couple even burped at the raw emotional energy they just consumed.

“Not bad, for a dog! Never expected to taste such potent magic! An interesting vintage to be sure!” The leader said. Only now she began to look less like a Collie with how a curved black horn sprouted out of her head and blue translucent wings with holes exited her back. She looked at her other party members and saw that they too were entering similar states of ‘undress’. She couldn’t blame them. The magic mixed into the emotions they drained were potent enough for these changelings to loose control of their disguises. It was quite fortunate that it happened here in badlands territory. Had they been seen like this near Celestia's kingdom, it would be their heads on the chopping block!

Still, it also helped that these changelings were such big tippers to the barkeep. Otherwise they would never get away with this being a near regular risk at The Drunk Skunk.

“Sorry about the mess, Rusty. Hope this covers it.” One of the changelings said as she threw a sack full of bits and gems at the barkeep’s counter.

-Sigh- You're lucky I ain't a bouncer no more. Otherwise I’d have you bouncing out of here like a tumbleweed in a sandstorm!” The Minotaur barkeep snarked as he set his rag over his shoulder. He was nearly eight feet of Black Angus beef, and strong enough to keep the different patrons of the bar in line. So long as they followed his rules, and paid their tabs, he was fine with whatever they did. This was Badlands territory and so it goes. “Now you know the rules: if you changelings start snacking, you better get packing! Now go! Lest you scare out my customers and have me loose more moolah!”

“Alright! We’re going!” The lead one said. “Come on, ladies! It’s a long flight to the hive, and her majesty is going to want to hear all about this ‘Mysterio’!”

[}0{]

|The Unrequited Romantic|

As soon as the Changelings left, things began to settle back into the status quo of the bar. Many however were discussing this new sorcerer on the seen, and his apparent capabilities. Necromancy was a lost art and one of the blackest, but to be able to open Tartarus for even a moment? Now that was hard to believe!

Yet one of patrons of the bar found the torch of hope that had been nearly dowsed by despair in his heart, relit again as he heard the Diamond Dogs story. He looked like a simple earth pony with a muddy green coat and an avocado green mane. His clothing was a simple dark green tunic, pants, and a green beanie with orange trim and a puffball. He looked considerably weaker than the other patrons that consisted of Minotaurs, griffins, dogs, and brigand stallions and mares. But as that last group showed, looks could be greatly deceiving, and he was better than any changelings in that regard.

'If he could open the gates to Tartarus, then maybe..!' He pulled out a photo album, which was probably his most prized possession he currently had. But perusing through it, the stallion was nowhere to be found.

Instead there were many pictures involving a lizard-like creature of similar coloring to the stallion. But what drew his heart more was the creature it interacted with. They played games like badminton and taking walks in meadows. The pictured were faded and made in a time before color cameras. Yet they still held tightly to the happy moments they captured involving her.

She was a lovely thing of feline design. The pictures showed her in a southern dress that clung well enough to her figure. Her fur coat was a dark shade, but her hair was a much lighter tone and kept in a well rounded up style. He remembered that he liked her look, and dared to mention it to her. She would argue that her look and appearance had many flaws, but he would argue vehemently that she could not be more beautiful.

‘If only she stayed away from that witchweed!’ He thought, finding anger towards himself again at his past self’s lack of courage! It was one of many mistakes he would rectify! Now more so that there appeared to be an individual who was strong enough to help him free her from her imprisonment. With that, he felt his anger evolve into determination towards his goal.

“Surely, this Mysterio wouldn’t mind the services of a Chameleon like me?” He mumbled as for a moment his eyes shifted into something more reptilian. For that was his true nature. He was not a pony, or a changeling, but a Reptilian named Rep. And even now after many years there were individuals who would pay good money to find him.

He then finished his brew and then paid off his tab. Come morning, he would be gathering all he needed to make the journey to Clutter Coulee and find this Mysterio.

“Catrina.” Rep thought. “Soon, we’ll be together again!”

[}0{]

|The Colonel|

Private First Class Comet Road knew he had drawn the short end of the stick as he hurried to deliver the message he received. The dark furred unicorn in Solar Guard armor was not looking forward to this meeting he had to undergo because of an incoming message. It was a magically transmitted scroll that was ranked top secret with a clearance higher than his own to see it. Normally, that would just imply that he go to the highest authority on the base, and hand it to them before going away thus giving that interruption to his duties little thought. Unfortunately, that highly ranked figure was HER.

“Colonel Liebe, sir!” He knocked on the door to her quarters. As it opened he stood ramrod straight and at attention.

Out came an intimidating Pegasus of high military rank. She was dressed up in a black uniform that consisted of a form fitted coat with red trimmings and black shorts. She had long boots with buckled straps placed over long black stockings. Her gloves were white and creaseless. Placed on the top of her head was a black hat with her winged badge as its centerpiece. She had other badges, and ranking strips as a part of her ensemble, but she always made sure to keep her hat straight. It kept her hair from flowing near her eyes like her daughter after all!

“At ease, private!” She spoke in a Germane accent as she gave a salute back. “Vhat matter requires my attention?”

“This message arrived, sir! It requires your attention as it is from one of our scouts in Badlands territory, sir! It may be important enough to be given to the princesses after your consideration, sir!” Comet Road hoped he would be dismissed soon, before Colonel ‘Tough Love’ started doing one of her favorite pastimes: giving out impossible orders. It was right next to training her lower ranked subordinates to the ground!

“Understood! Consider dees a job well done, private! Perhaps down zhe line you shall make lieutenant yet!” She took the scroll into her possession before barking her order for the training exercise in the meantime. “Now have zhe squadron get ready to do 70 pushups in zhe snow!”

Of course she would say something like that! “Sir! I beg forgiveness for correcting you, but it is a sunny day, and there is no snow to be found, sir!”

“Noted! Then get zhe Pegasi teams to get on zhat first! I better see snow in zhe next 15 minutes, or so help me Celestia, I will have you all doing 140 pushups and zhe obstacle course with mines 20 times! Is zhat understood?

Sir, YES, SIR!”Comet Road yelled as he has prepared to march speedily to the other guard members to tell them what they had to do this time.

“Then go!” She commanded with a fist trusted into the air. “March! March! Left, right, left!”

Comet Road got out of there as quickly as he could, mentally preparing himself for the bad news he would have to give to his fellow guardsponies. After today, there would probably be more filing for leave.

This did not currently concern the Colonel, for she was occupied with the contents of the message that was given priority to her eyes to glance over. As she did and reread it, she found herself feeling a hint of worry at its contents. With one of the key notes being about a sorcerer named Mysterio, she knew she had to forward this to the Princesses immediately! If not for Equestria, then for her daughter who incidentally encountered him before.

“Fluttershy,” she thought as she flew up high to head toward the Pegasi Post station. The sun reflected off her pale yellowish fur while the wind made her pinkish mane in a ponytail like a comet trail flowing behind her. “just vhat have you found yourself entangled in?”

She would have more words to say to her Princess, insubordination be damned! It was bad enough she hid the mission request from her and days later revealed that she sent the Elements to negotiate with a dragon into relocating. Fluttershy was especially afraid of dragons (to be fair, she had plenty of fears)! Then the Colonel received a letter asking advice on how her daughter should deal with her encounter with a person named Mysterio. Again, Celestia only just sent the memo to her about how this new sorcerer on the scene was to be brought in for questioning.

It was as if Celestia was deliberately keeping things from her as if she would go AWOL or something! Oh she would definitely be having words to say to her Princess!

[}0{]

|The Princesses of The Sun and The Moon|

“Well, she is certainly…most colorful with her tongue, dear sister!” Luna tried to let out a laugh, but saw her sister was still disturbed. It took a few days for the message from Colonel Liebe to arrive by the Pegasus Postmare, but when it did, Celestia knew why her colonel chose this method to pass the message forward despite the urgency.

The two princesses were in their throne room, having dismissed their courts for the day. This was a priority message, which meant one thing in particular: it involved a possible threat to the kingdom. What they found, when you excluded all the choice words Harte Liebe had for her Princess, was a report involving Changelings, Diamond Dogs, and above all else, Mysterio possibly committing crimes involving Necromancy and Breaching a Hole in TARTARUS of all things!!

“To be fair, I should have considered to at least have told her more about her daughter’s activities sooner. But she was always one of my more… impulsive mares-in-command before her retirement. Still, I should have known better than to hide things from a mother like her.” She rubbed her eyes to try to take the edge of the message. “But still, even mentioning my cake habits as a reason for my lack of foresight?”

Luna bit back her rebuttal for that. Celestia did have a bigger habit of cake binging since she returned. Besides it would only lead to her sister making fun of her still appearing to be a much younger filly, despite being a mature adult.

“In any case, I am more disturbed by this Mysterio’s current activities than anything else in this report.” She shook the parchment as if the words would magically prove she was wrong to assume. “Necromancy! Why did it have to be Necromancy! At least with Mind Magic, there was a misunderstanding excuse to give, but this!”

The White Alicorn mare walked to her throne and sat down upon it in a heap. “Mother, why must I be tested so?”

Luna hovered over to her own throne next to her sister and patted her assuringly as she said, “Thre there, my sibling. We now knoweth to consider that gent a threat, and shalt now dealeth with him accordingly.”

“That’s just it, Luna! We still don’t know if Mysterio is!” Celestia looked at the scroll, but it still gave her no answers that she was looking for. “What is his goal? What does he want? Who is he? And what is this Wonder Domain he speaks of? So many more questions and we still have yet to even properly encounter him. All we have to go on is rumors and even the possibility that they are right is frightening!”

Luna tilted her head at that as she did consider the possibility that these rumors were but old bar tales told over pints of ale.

“Tis true sister, these words do cometh from a rabble of malt-worm dogs who is't were expecting to romp in the sheets with these females!” She recalled the report saying such, as well as the coyotes’ ultimate fates. “Perhaps they were but tales told by bards hoping to impress thy ladyfolk? We have certainly heard more honeyed words and claims of impressive feats in our early days of holding court!”

“That may be true.” Celestia admitted.

Luna continued the line of reasoning. “Besides, surely if Tartarus did indeed open as they claimed, you and I would have felt it like a jailer feels a wall burst down in a cell!”

Celestia felt a bit more relief at being reminded of that fact. “Also true, and yet it still bothers me on two fronts.”

The Princess of the moon raised a brow. “Indeed? How says?”

“For one thing, the report claims he was fighting back against a raiding party of these coyotes, the Desert Ash Pack. So he was in his rights to face them, albeit his methods are highly disturbing.” True, self-defense was acceptable, but Necromancy and conjuring Tears in Reality were hardly the methods to excuse with it, even in Equestria! “The other thing was that he was clearly protecting these females, including one unnamed unicorn mare.”

There was an implication that Luna just understood as a part of what was bothering her older sibling. “Art thee declaring that gent couldst beest an ally?”

“Well I am at least saying he may not be our enemy. At least for now,” Celestia then looked down at her notice at an important detail that made this such a priority message. “Our scout made this report near the Badlands territory from a bar named ‘The Drunk Skunk Tavern’. It is a known hidey-hole, if you will, of some of the most wanted outlaws and runaways in the many realms alongside Equestria. And some of them are already interested in meeting Mysterio for one reason or another, especially if the rumors of Necromancy and Opening Tartarus are true!”

Luna didn’t need her sister to speak further about why that was a really bad thing!

“We must find him, and soon!” She fluttered out of her throne as she prepared to gather all available guards to spread the word. “Who knoweth what couldst occureth if he aligns with the wrong sort!”

“Without a doubt, Luna! We must find him!” Celestia proclaimed as she stood up and began her stroll to find an inkwell and quill. Sure she could conjure one, but she felt she had to retrieve a particular one that she used when writing important letters to Twilight. For this next one bound to be a most important one to get across and she felt nothing would boost her luck of late than a letter written with a fine feather donated from her pet phoenix, Philomena.

[}0{]

|The Student|

Dear Twilight,

I hope you are doing well, my student. Your letters reporting your activities and studies regarding friendship assure me that you are, but I myself was taught to never assume anything. I wish I could be writing to you about happier times, but I must get to the point of why I am writing this letter to you.

I have recently had word reach my ears about that strange sorcerer you encountered named Mysterio. It has come to my attention that he is a spell caster who may be capable of other things beyond Mind Magic. What he can do, I cannot say for certain due to the nature of the information involves some second-hand accounts and rumors. However, it does make it pertinent that I am to meet him in order to properly gauge his character.

I understand your hesitance for such a prospect, but rest assured that I have dealt with worse long before your great grandmares were even born! Should he turn out to be like the worst sort we assume, then I shall have no problem of dealing with him as I would any threat to my little ponies. Then again, perhaps it will not come to that.

The news I received regarding him involves him protecting not only his draconic servant, who you may have already met, but three other young females with one of them being a unicorn. Perhaps this Mysterio is a more honorable sort than we initially supposed? In any case, I must now reach the major point of this letter to you.

If you see Mysterio, whether alone, or with your friends, do not engage him! By all means, interact with him how you would a stranger coming to your door, but do not provoke him with violent or furious exchanges! I know it is much to ask of you and the other Element Bearers, especially after his usage of Mind Magic towards you, but I humbly suggest you do not make him an enemy. As said before, I have no doubt I could deal with him if he is a problem. I however, cannot say the same for each one of you. So please, takes these words to heart and consider that maybe the better thing to do if you meet him, is not to ready a fist to strike, but assure that a hand raised to shake is a promise of friendship and a much more powerful form of magic!

I trust your judgment for after all, you are my precious student.

Your Faithful Teacher,

Princess Celestia

P. S. Please inform Fluttershy that her mother sends her regards and that yes, I do know how to tell the difference between a quill and fork. She’ll know what I mean.

[}0{]

Twilight considered all the words in the letter she held in her hand. It was certainly a lot of food for thought to say the least.

“So what now, Twilight?” Spike asked after she finished orating Celestia’s writings.

“I don’t know, Spike. It certainly is a lot to think about.” Twilight gazed out her window as she looked towards the goings on of Ponyville. “I mean, what can I say about Mysterio that hasn’t been said?”

“How about what Celestia suggests? To show him friendship is magic?” Spike shrugged.

“Well, we tried that, but that got us all mind wiped, except for Fluttershy.” Twilight recalled, or rather didn’t. “Only Fluttershy wasn’t affected. The rest of us were not so lucky.”

“Maybe then she is the key to reaching him! She can’t be affected by his magic, and from the sound of that conversation you had about him, was able to understand a bit of his thinking.” Spike remarked. “So why not have her take charge if you meet him again?”

“Spike, you realized you just suggested that Fluttershy should take charge, right?”

“I know, I know. It sounded crazy as I finished saying it, but it seems like crazy is what we need to do!”

Twilight pondered that suggestion a bit. Considering the track record of dealing with threats in Ponyville included giving an Ursa Minor a lullaby and massive bottle of milk, perhaps crazy was the way to go.

“Maybe you’re right, Spike.” Twilight nodded. “Tell you what; I am going to have a letter sent to Celestia, requesting that she meet with you personally on official business together what intel she can give on Mysterio and his skills.”

Spike nodded in agreement. He wouldn’t mind getting to see Canterlot again, especially without Twilight around making a total homework assignment of it, no offense! “Ok, but what are you going to be doing?”

“I’m going to be busy trying to break the news to the girls that they can’t give Mysterio the beat down they have been looking forward to giving if he ever shows up here.” Her demeanor brightened up at the possibilities of how she could do it, with one in particular in mind! “Maybe I’ll finally get to have the slumber party I always wanted.”

“Maybe! Just remember, the Pegasi have a storm scheduled.”

“Oh, I am sure things will be fine. It’s not like the girls will be fighting indoors because of bad weather!”

[}0{]

|The Shamaness|

“I am a compass needle pointing forth, not just a straight forward bearing like north!”

Zecora could sense the nearby storm building. The clouds above the trees had been darkening for days, but they would soon become ready to unleash their built up torrents. It would hit Ponyville soon. That was not the only turmoil building up around these parts of the Everfree though.

“I am a compass needle pointing forth, not just a straight forward bearing like north!”

She was not blind to the truth, or deaf to the rumors, for like the fluttering leaves of the wind, they even reached her. From the tongue of a stallion she held dear of all things, she heard about Mysterio and one of his exploits regarding the bearers of the Element of Harmony. Of how he used his powers for possibly selfish and deluded reasoning.

“I warned him if he was evil to prepare for a fight! Has he dared to challenge me out of spite?”

She scrunched her eyes tighter as she tried to her inner focus. Currently she was outside her hut, meditating, and considering what she should do about the situation. She tried locating Mysterio, but he was gone from the ruined castle. Perhaps he left for parts unknown, or perhaps he had further business elsewhere. Perhaps he was a con artist who left town the moment he was discovered. She did not know.

“I am a compass needle pointing forth, not just a straight forward bearing like north!”

What she did know was that a storm was due to come, and she had to do her best to maintain her mood. So she was deep in meditation, tying to center herself as she was set on her staff, upside down like a batpony. The universe was orbiting around her; she was but a compass needle in the cosmic landscape-

-KABOOM!-

The large sound of thunder nearby cracked loudly above her as she shook out of her trance and landed flat on her haunches. Apparently, as much as she tried to bury her frustrations, she still came across more as a lightning rod than a compass needle.

“There is only one way to not receive another shock.” She gazed down at her hand and how the electricity was flowing through her fingers as she tried to disperse it back into the clouds. “Mysterio and I must sit down and talk.”

She grabbed her staff from the ground and thrusted it into the earth, letting the lightning channel from her body. Now was probably a good time considering how the storms affected her, and vice versa. So she began her trek to Castle Wonder, were she would wait for Mysterio to meet with her. Hopefully he would return soon. It was almost time for her to go for her supply run, and she would rather take her mood out on a willing opponent like him than a town that called her a witch.

[}0{]

Far and wide the story of that one event was beginning to shake up the world.

…From the highest influences of Royalty…

…To the shadier fringes of known society….

…One name was whispered and spoken about…

…Mysterio…

…Some would want to find him, to stop whatever scheme he was undoubtedly plotting…

…Others would seek him in hopes to achieve their own goals with different levels of benevolence…

…but all of them agreed on one thing…

This being called Mysterio was beyond a doubt capable of shaking up the world!

[}0{]

[TO BE CONTINUED…]