• Published 10th Jun 2015
  • 570 Views, 3 Comments

Old Friendships Rekindled, New Ones Made - Moniker



Sequel to Dead Rainbows, Dead Fashion, and Dead Apples. The years that followed the young mares haunted them ever since their idols and or sisters died.

  • ...
 3
 570

To Manehattan

Apple Bloom frowned, it has been so long since the Cutie Mark Crusaders went their separate ways, she often wondered if they were even okay. They separated right after getting their cutie mark, as well as that, it was the same week as Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash died.

Scootaloo was a wreck and often times got to their meetings later than she usually did. Her mark turned to her being a choreographer, symbolized by a single butterfly, known to be graceful. No one knows where she lives anymore, some say she lives just outside of a town known for lethal drug use. Sweetie Belle, she turned to becoming a singer, symbolized by a microphone wrapped in a headset chord, worldwide she sang, now living in Manehattan. And Apple Bloom's mark? It was an apple, plain normal Apple family cutie mark. It was an apple wrapped in a flower of some sort, the spa ponies said it was an orchid, thinking back, it was the day that Big Mac and Granny Smith argued aggressively, she turned to being the calming voice, staying calm in a heated situation was her talent.

Because of that mark, she had become the new Applejack, though she hates being compared to her sister. No one is like her. No one can compare to Applejack in Apple Bloom's eyes.

With that thought of Applejack in her mind, a tear was soon wiped away from the corner of her right eye, sure, she still has Big Mac, her older brother to watch, or her senile grandmother to watch over, but she hates life without Applejack. She stared out the window, she was going to a hotel in Manehattan, Granny Smith and Big Mac gave her a train ticket for her to take a week or two off work.

Apple Bloom thanked them, of course, and packed fairly quickly. And as she got on the train, she began remembering Applejack, but it wasn't until she sat down that she remembered everything she has been through. Her parents' disappearance, that even to the day she got her mark and started running the farm, neither brother nor grandmother will say what happened. Only Applejack was the one who was going to tell her, she knew she was going to be told when she earned her mark, but, that was too late, she earned it too late.

In the back of her mind, she wanted to ask Applejack before she passed, but, there was no time, she was forced to pull the plug and she wasn't able to think of this tragedy, almost blocking out the entire day from her mind. She wanted at the time to believe she was dreaming, it was all just a cruel prank Luna pulled on her, but alas, she never woke up, and she was just trapped in the cold reality of what Equestria is really like.

The mare looked out, she sat next to a colt, he was obviously excited and really Apple Bloom was too, she loved Manehattan, even if she wasn't treated as nice as in Ponyville. She looked to the colt, he was just about to jump out of his seat, she remembered all the times when she thought she'd for sure get her mark. She tried everything, from common things in Equestria like a baker to off the grid jobs like . . . well, let's just say Celestia would not be happy with a filly making such a powder.

Needless to say, bad things happened, Rainbow had to come and save them from a fire. Bad things occurred. And from that day she learned she was not a "cook" either.

With the colt's excited attitude, his wide grin as big as a saucer and clopping his hooves together as they draw closer. He tended to get up and check to the window. Reminding Apple Bloom of her first trip to Manehattan. It was a trip Nurse Redheart brought her to. It was to try and cheer her up, she was happy, and grateful for the trip, but she just couldn't bring it to herself to be or even act happy.

"I take it this is yer first time to Manehattan?" Apple Bloom said, breaking the silence. The colt nodded happily and looked to the mare talking. "It's a wonderful place, I loved it when I was yer age."

The colt didn't speak, but he still listened, and perhaps that was all Apple Bloom wanted was someone to listen to her. Lying back, Apple Bloom closed her eyes, falling asleep in her seat, but soon woke with wide saucer like eyes as she suddenly broke into tears. She took note there was no other ponies to comfort her, her brother and grandmother was all the way in Ponyville, Sweetie Belle is Celestia knows where in the Equestria, and Scootaloo is unknown. She can only hope she is okay, as she couldn't find a single thing about Scootaloo after they parted.

Suddenly, Apple Bloom felt the train come to a screeching halt and she jerked forward in utter shock of the train's halt. A stallion shouted in a husky, but smooth voice. "First stop! Manehattan!" Apple Bloom got out of her seat and smiled as wide as she could and stepped out of the train. Instantly, Apple Bloom could smell the baked goods sold at the bakery across the street.

Apple Bloom chose to go and buy a sweet roll. She was after all feeling a little bit hungry. But, one thing she is not sure about, is how this vacation will play out, she is still broken inside and nothing will change that. No matter the things she tried. But, it was always worth a shot, besides, the Apple family chipped in to pay for this vacation to Manehattan. Something crossed her mind, she wondered if she could see Sweetie Belle, or better yet, her cousin, Babs Seed. She hasn't seen her since they were foals and were at the Apple family reunion.

The young mare walked out of the bakery and into the sidewalk, quickly noting the array of mares, stallions, colts, and fillies wandering from the streets. Apple Bloom knew it was rude, but she really couldn't help but to overhear conversation after conversation. She tried to ignore it, ignore the plethora of mares and stallions conversing amongst each other, but it was hard. Finally, the walking signal turned green, that's when it happened. She was stopped by stallion after stallion and even some mares rudely walking in front of her without even apologizing.

She felt angry, but she said nothing and just walked with her head held high as not to bump into anyone else. Across the street from the bakery and train station was a hotel, Apple Bloom knew it was the one she was supposed to stay at. They never told her a reason why, they just said it was the hotel they chose.

As soon as Apple Bloom entered, she was greeted with a colt barely allowed to even have a job in her eyes. "Good day ma'am," he said, zooming about her bags. "Can I take your bags?" he then stopped and his wings suddenly folded, suddenly stopped by her feet. "I uh . . . assume you're staying in the hotel?"

Apple Bloom chuckled seeing the colt's face, it was a combination of worry that he made a mistake and a look of glee like he hadn't. "Yes, I'm staying in the hotel."

The colt acted giddy and smiled a goofy looking smile for a pony of an adult age. "Uh . . . I'm Speedy Bag." He said, he was new to this, Apple Bloom could tell, from how he was introducing himself, she knew he was new to the whole big-time hotel job. But, she gave him a smile and went to the counter, ordered a room and gestured for him to follow her.

"It's nice to meet ya Speedy Bag," Apple Bloom said giving a genuine smile as he gives him two extra bits. "Have a good day."

Speedy Bag nodded and walked off, without a word.

Apple Bloom lain on her bed, sighing and thinking of Applejack, most of that tragic day was blocked from her mind, but they always found a way to creep in her mind again. She wished she could go back to the way it was.

When Applejack was still alive . . .