• Published 10th Jun 2015
  • 2,990 Views, 60 Comments

Idyllic - lollipopchica



Sometimes love isn't the heal all people say it is. Sometimes it cuts and burns leaving behind all kinds of nasty scars. When the heart's desires pushes against the mind, what's a pony to do?

  • ...
7
 60
 2,990

Chapter 14

Kikyo smiled at the golden scaled behemoth off in the distance. Its brilliant scales sparkled in the sun as it took its time traversing the great desert that rested on the barren side of the changeling’s mountain. Magnus Kron was an ancient being that many believed had been wandering the desert for centuries. The dragon-like behemoth stood about 12 feet tall and was twice as long. It appeared more cosmic and sage-like in appearance than it did savage.

No pony knew what the great beast was capable of as none of the creatures that frequented the area dared to bother the solitary dragon. Its strong neck gave way to a serpentine head where a massive crest like crown sported horns. The creature appeared blind as the bony expanse of its crown showed no optics. Its toothed maw gave it the appearance of a skeletal rictus. Great wings were folded onto its sides and the lumbering creature continued forward.

Kikyo looked to her left and right, nodding at her comrades. Jedzia along with Mileena acknowledged the movement and returned their attention to the creature far away ahead of them.

Jedzia was no stranger to behemoths but the changeling preferred to leave the creatures be. Most were apathetic, however any creature that felt threatened could cause massive amounts of damage. Certain changelings, had at one time, been able to copy their forms but it took a great deal of magic and discipline to achieve such a feat.

It had been about a month since Kahn had convinced the former hive members that a rescue was owed to the former queen. Since then Kirai’s dreams had become more vivid and clear. A clear message was being sent to the former accursed. They were running out of time if they wanted to save anypony.

Reaching out to a behemoth was one thing, but the issue of transportation was another all in itself. While Jedzia oversaw Kikyo’s tasks, Kirai was back at the hive trying to find a spell their unicorns could use to transport not only a behemoth but a small force for infiltration and retrieval. Changeling magic had its perks, and since the type was no longer, the former changelings found they had to relearn magic in a sense.

“You can communicate with that?” Mileena’s golden eyes were wide as the trio watched the lumbering beast.

“Yes. Magnus Kron is no beast. Behemoths respect honesty.”

“But will it help us?” Jedzia asked turning her vision to the other.

He,” Kikyo stressed. “And there’s only one way to find out.”

“And if ‘he,’ doesn’t want to help us…” Mileena prompted with an anxious expression on her face.

“Then he’ll probably eat us,” Kikyo shrugged. “Let’s go!”

The two blinked as Kikyo pushed forward racing across the sands.

“Eat… us?”

*-*-*-*-*-*

Shining Armor stared at the small bundle in his arms as the tiny baby rested with a smile on her cloud colored features. How could something so wonderful cause so much strife? He should be celebrating his newly found status as a father, not secretly divorcing his wife and wondering about the fate of his child’s mother or his countrymen.

He’d never seen anything as amazing or as terrifying as childbirth.

Felizi! He yelled. "Felizi get in here!"

The albino appeared seconds later. "Is everything alright?"

"No!" Chrysalis groaned. "It's the baby." She turned on her side as she held her stomach not knowing what to do.

"Is it time?" Felizi asked calmly as she pressed a cool hoof to the other's forehead

"I think so."

"She's burning up... I'll get Triste. Keep her calm, I'll be right be back."

"What am I supposed to do?" Shining Armor's eyes were as wide as saucers as his frustrations took over him.

"Just talk to her, Captain. Soothe her." Felizi stroked her head a second longer before dashing out the room to find her sister.

"Chrysalis... Chryssie, just breathe." He managed taking deep breaths himself.

She laughed before grimacing as another contraction hit. "Celestia's Captain can't handle labor."

He scowled. "Shut-up and focus."

"Ooo... Is that how you treat pregnant mares now?"

"You're horrible..." he laughed shakily.

"Shining... Something's... something's wrong..."

"What- how do you know?"

"I can tell," she moaned as she felt something wet running down her leg.

"You're not supposed to be bleeding!" He sounded panicked.

"My body wasn't made for this." She winced as she squeezed her eyes shut.

"Can't you change or something?"

"No... I can't- I can't focus and I don't know if it'd hurt... the baby." She gasped at the pain as it came in waves as things shifted inside her.

“You just have to calm down now." He kissed her on the forehead.

"Shining Armor..." She said seriously as she bit back a groan. "Don't let Celestia take my daughter." Tears started to fall as the cruelest outcomes rose in her mind. If something were to happen to her, what would happen to her child? Would Celestia let her be with her father?

"What..."

"Please, don't let her take our daughter." She begged as she stared into his face. The more her mind raced, the more upset she became.

"She won’t. I need you to focus now. Stay with me. Gemma needs you. I need you."

She didn't want to dwell on the emotion his words invoked, but it was something to latch on to. She was afraid and in pain, but he was right there with her and it made all the difference.

"Stay with me!” Shining Armor urged, eyes locked on hers. “Stay with me! Triste, Felizi! Thank Maker!" He looked down and saw the gateway of life and suddenly he didn’t feel so well.

Despite all the drama and chaos, his daughter was beautiful.

"She looks like you... She'll idolize you too.” Came the changeling’s tired voice as she fell back on her pillows. “My word was never enough for her unless 'daddy' seconded it."

“Drink.” Felizi commanded after handing the changeling a cup of magenta brew. Chrysalis rolled her eyes before complying. The twins had been scurrying about checking on both mother and daughter. Triste had gathered the baby and after a series of checks involving a small dosage of antibiotics, returned her back to Shining Armor’s arms.

"In the other world?" Curiosity shone in his voice as she never talked about it. "Tell me about it... About us." Despite his haste to return her to this reality, Shining Armor had lost himself in a dream for a moment. Dancing the way they had been in a room full of family and friends with no societal separations and a past they both remembered was something he hadn’t forgotten.

"It’s hazy now... " Gods, she was tired. Her daughter’s entrance into the world was one she’d never forget despite her desire to never repeat ‘giving birth.’

The twins shared a look, and since both mother and daughter had been tended to, the healers allowed the two some privacy.

“Please?” He had finally recognized that a life with her away from this could be just as meaningful as the life he thought he’d have with Cadance.

Tears of frustration came to Chrysalis’ eyes as she regarded him from her position in bed. “Why are you doing this?” She was tired of feeling overwhelmed and lately she found the stallion’s presence to be just that.

“What?”

“Making this harder… Our life there was perfect! We were a real family.” This pregnancy had her emotions all over the place and it didn’t take much to upset her nowadays. ”I wasn’t some death row inmate that had to explain herself to a bunch of frivolous equines. Our daughter didn’t have anything to be ashamed about and neither did you.” Her voice shook with disdain as her eyes burned with ire.

“That’s not true…” Was he ashamed? Did she really harbor such a hatred for his race?

“Are you going to save me? Turn your back on your home? The Steadfast Knight of the land. Equestria’s very own reverent son.” She sneered as she’d gone from sad, to accusatory to bitter at breakneck speed. The little foal began to fuss in her sleep as she was very much aware of her parent’s emotions. Neither knew the extent of her abilities as she was too young to tell.

The two quieted as their gazes fell upon the tiny life they created. Shining Armor smiled in spite of the current tension. “Shhh… Daddy’s got you, baby.” With a few soothing words and gentle rocking the infant settled down just as quickly as she was startled. Gemma clung to the stallion's hoof as she softly cooed in her sleep.

“Are you?” Chrysalis insisted with a scowl a few moments later.

The stallion couldn’t find the words and failed miserably at articulating his thoughts. “You know I c- It’s-“

“Spare me, please. I don’t want to see you anymore. You have the rest of your life to love Gemma… I don’t.” She held her arms out for her youngling.

“Chrysalis….” He pleaded breaking her already ruined heart. How many times had she longed to hear him say her name like this in the past?

Her gaze was as hard as it was unrelenting. “Give her to me.”

With a tired sigh he gently placed the small child in its mother grasp. “Please…”

“Go away, Shining Armor.”

And after kissing his daughter on the brow, he did.

*-*-*-*-*-*

“Do you think I'm doing the right thing, Luna?” Celestia had just seen the female foal Chrysalis had given birth to and she had to admit that the child was adorable. Gemma looked like any other unicorn, only her features were slightly sharper than normal. It was amazing what innocence could come from something so impossibly twisted. Celestia sighed as she turned to her sister.

“Tia... Now isn't the time to doubt yourself.” Luna breathed as she lifted her head to watch the Sol alicorn. The moon goddess was stretched across a satin felt chaise in the Sol princess’ personal library.

“So you don't.” The elder frowned.

“Now did I say that?” Luna rolled her eyes as she rolled over onto her back. Her sister was so stressed nowadays.

“You didn't deny it.” Celestia muttered as she walked to one of the high arched windows facing out to view her city.

“Tia.” Luna semi-whined as she sat up and eyed the other. She’d never seen her sister so wrapped up in something. It was unnatural for some pony as poised as Celestia to second guess herself like this. “I may not claim to understand your method, but I respect it and I trust your judgment. If you think there is something worthwhile in her and that this truly is a situation of circumstance then what choice do I have but to follow you?”

“Luna...” Her voice caught as she turned to lock eyes with her impish younger. “You have all the choice. You always had the choice.” Did her sister fell obligated? A thought that bothered her.

“Then I choose to follow my sister.” Was Luna’s simple response.

Celestia let out a sigh of relief. Her sister's words were like a soothing balm to an age-old wound. "I don't want to take anypony's life. Not for something like that."

"Then don't." She shrugged.

"But what about Cadance?" There was an edge in the Princess’ tone. Luna chose not to draw attention to her sister’s anger and hurt over being kept in the dark about their niece’s wishes. It was time Celestia realized that not every situation could be controlled.

"There’s nothing that can be done on our parts. She needs to figure this out herself, letting her go might not be such a bad thing. She'll never see this from your perspective. At least not now. You can't fix everything." With a toothy grin, the younger of the two hopped off her seat and left to do her duty.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Despite her fear of the unknown, the changeling queen both dreamed and dreaded this day. A set of guards stood in front of her cell, along with the twins.

It’d been a week since the birth of her child, and her refusal of Shining Armor. She wondered about him now. She’d spent her time loving her daughter and being on the receiving end of intensive healing spells that sped up her recovery. She wasn't where she used to be physically, but thanks to both her magic and the twin's, she was a lot closer. She blinked when she registered the twin’s casting. The mares whispered the words that allowed their magic to come forward and eat away the barrier that kept her prisoner. Their magic sparkled against the opposing force leaving no trace of the spell.

With blank faces the guards stepped forward with chains applying them to her neck, legs and arms. Chrysalis eyes flashed with indignation but the changeling bit her tongue and held her head up high. She would not allow them the pleasure of seeing her humiliated, though that was exactly how she felt on the inside.

Triste and Felizi frowned at the measures, but otherwise said nothing. It was not their job to be offended. With a shared incantation, they cast a spell that bound the monarch’s great gnarled horn, keeping her from producing any spells. When they finished they nodded and bowed, stepping back and watching as the darker mare was led away.

The guards said nothing as they flanked her sides, only speaking when they needed to give direction. The trial would be held in a great room that resembled an amphitheater just for these types of instances.

Chrysalis was led through the castle much to her chagrin. Ponies gasped and openly sneered at her presence. Harlequin eyes hardened as her spine went ramrod straight. She may have been broken, but she wasn’t dead yet. A fire fanned inside of her as she was once again the vixen of nightmares and sorcery.

When they’d finally reached the great doors, the monarch paused as the guards moved forward and opened the solid doors. A great amphitheater of ivory was revealed to her with enough sound to make her want to cringe. Ponies of all types occupied its seats booing and shouting once her presence was known.

Chrysalis’ eyes slowly made her way around the room hoping to catch a familiar set of cerulean. True she had sent him away, but now she wished she knew someone here that wasn’t screaming for her blood. While she didn’t find Shining Armor, in the heart of the grand stage she made eye contact with Celestia, her sister, Elytra and six other nobles. The six others were some of the most influential in all of Equestria. They were diplomats and humanitarians responsible for magical and racial affairs.

Chrysalis managed to retain her composure as she stepped forward into what one would equate with an arena. A single pony stood in front of Celestia’s panel.

A light bay colored stallion with calculating green eyes studied the queen with a meticulousness that made her slightly uncomfortable. Athen was the Equestria’s leading justice. Clever and quick-witted, the stallion was a philosopher and an obstinate follower of the rules.

Celestia stood and the ponies around quieted. “Step forward, and identify yourself.”

Chrysalis took a deep breath and took a step forward. “I am Queen Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings.”

“And are you aware of the charges brought against you?”

“Yes.”

“And how do you plea?”

“Innocent.”

The crowd began to murmur amongst themselves surprised by her plea and bravado. Celestia sighed, “Very well. Athen, you may proceed.”

"Thank you Princess.” His bowed at his monarch before turning his attention to the pony on trial. “What are you?" He asked almost conversationally.

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes. "A changeling queen."

"Is that also your title?"

“Yes...”

“Where are you from?” He casually paced around, nodding when she answered.

“Out west away from this continent.”

“And your people?”

“They are no longer here.”

He paused. “How do you know?”

“They are connected to me. It’s part of what makes us different from your kind.”

“And what exactly does that mean?"

Chrysalis vaguely explained to him how the hive mind worked. “If I can't feel them, then they’re not there.”

“So you are the last of your kind...” Athen surmised. “My condolences.” He said though he didn’t sound very sorry.

“Yes.”

“Why did you come to Equestria?” He asked with curious eyes.

“I was promised answers about a cure to a sickness that ravaged my race.” When asked to elaborate, she did explaining how Discord approached her due to the betrayal of one of her own. She could feel the emotions in the room shift from one extreme to the other and back. Some ponies still felt great disgust while others were feeling oddly sympathetic.

“So you came here with the intentions of seeking knowledge?”

“Yes… There wasn't enough time for anything else.” She said tiredly as she thought back to how horrible that time period had been.

And that was when the sharp eyed stallion attacked. “Are you sure, your Majesty?”

At first the changeling had been able to hold her own, but the Justice kept twisting her words, ultimately frustrating her and making her impatient. The two argued almost rabidly.

“It was the only way!” Chrysalis insisted heatedly. None of these ponies realized how incredibly biased they were and so it felt impossible to get them to understand things from her point of view.

“Are you sure?” Athen demanded fiercely. “Did you even try another way? You could've approached Canterlot as a nation in need, but you instead chose to lie and exploit what you could for gain. And when the time was most opportune you struck. Why should we believe you? A race that thrives off lies and subterfuge. Why should we trust anything you have to say?”

“Because I have nothing to gain! You could never understand what it means to be a changeling having lived life the way you have. You have no idea how hard I’ve had to fight to protect and nourish my people!”

“And whose fault is that, your Majesty?”

She scoffed disdainfully. “You’d have never given us the chance! Your actions in the past have spoken volumes.” Something told her not to let this stallion get her worked up, but it was hard as it seemed he knew just the right buttons to push.

“You want to talk about actions?” He questioned with barking laughter. “Who was it that decided to imprison an innocent mare? Who was it that lied and seduced her husband and family? Who was it that called for the invasion? And who was it that decided to not seek aid in a way that could've avoided this whole tragedy?”

“I didn't think it'd go this far. It wasn’t supposed to happen that way. Twilight-“

“Excuses!” He sneered with a twisted expression. “You didn’t think….I bet you didn't. Surely a mare such as yourself foresaw ‘causalities’ for both sides?” Chrysalis tightened her jaw afraid of the words she might allow to spill out. “No?” He mocked. “Negligence has its costs. And at the end of the day mere apologies cannot undo what you have done. Do you regret your actions?”

“Of course I do.”

“Really?” Athen gasped with mock surprise.

“My people died for what I believed in! I felt them as they lay dying.” Tears of anger fell from her eyes and she couldn’t help but glare at all the ponies around her as her heart relived those darker times. “I held the closest thing I had to a mother in my arms and cried as I realized I’d actually considered picking you self-absorbed equines over my family. You who judge me for doing what any mother would do for her family! The invasion was never supposed to happen.” Her resentful eyes locked with Elytra who looked pained. “None of this was ever supposed to happen. But it did and nothing can change that… But for you to accuse me of these things as if I’m some hate-filled, evil, fanatic who only wants to hurt and destroy just proves to me how worthless a pony’s opinion truly is!”

The amphitheater was shocked by the words spoken. All ponies put on trial here were subjected to a spell that kept the accused honest. For the Queen to say what she said so passionately was not lost upon them. Was Chrysalis right in her assessment of them? Was this situation truly shrouded in layers of grey that left no one culprit?

Athen was dumbfounded by the mare’s defense. His mouth opened and closed as no sound could be heard. The gears in his mind were turning with fervor when all of a sudden his assistant came running him. Breathlessly the slate colored pony whispered furiously in his ear.

Ponies traded glances with each other, as they waited to see what the Justice would do next.

“Athen…” Celestia called, halting the assistant who gave his boss one last meaningful glance. With a nod to his assistant he apologized to the Sol Alicorn before turning his attention to the queen.

Chrysalis was immediately on edge when his expression turned from worried to smug. “Well spoken comrade.” Athen applauded. “That almost sounded genuine. I actually felt your regret. I daresay you’ve convinced half the population in this room of your innocence.” She eyed the stallion suspiciously as he began to circle her chained form. “So I ask again, are you regretful? Would you truly have done things different?”

“Yes…”

He looked like a cat who just caught a canary. “So you’re telling the court that you regret your daughter as well?” Chrysalis’ eyes widened as a gasp could be heard around the room.

How did he know about her foal? Her eyes snapped to Celestia who looked just as shocked as she. There were things the alicorn promised would not be brought up. Her daughter being the main thing. No pony was supposed to know about that. Just as none were supposed to know of Elytra’s involvement. Conflicts of interest, Celestia had said. “If this was the only way to have your daughter, would you have done it all over again?”

“I… I…” She lived for her people. It was what she was made for. They were worth dying for, but Gemma… Her little ray of light was worth everything she held dear. There was no other way to say that but to say it and Athen knew that.

“Answer the question, your Majesty.”

“I… yes.” She had walked right into that one. The crowd buzzed with excitement as emotions were, once again, on high edge.

“Others would have you believe that intentions should stand trial here today. A desperate queen full of noble intentions. Tragic indeed. But intentions cannot lie and hurt others. Intentions don't break down walls and drive wedges between ponies. No. Those are all actions. Actions that a pony can choose to do or choose not to do. Make no mistake, Chrysalis chose to do those things. She knew the risks, and yet she felt her cause was worth it. Worth the pain and suffering of our people. Even now, she isn’t sorry. I beg of you comrades, do not get sidetracked. This creature,” he spat, “is an unholy manifestation that prays off the young hearts of the innocent. She must be held accountable, and only you can be the ones to do so.” With every word Athen spoke, it became harder to get a clear read on the general consensus.

Harlequin eyes looked toward the jury anxious about their decision.