• Published 10th Jun 2015
  • 2,973 Views, 60 Comments

Idyllic - lollipopchica



Sometimes love isn't the heal all people say it is. Sometimes it cuts and burns leaving behind all kinds of nasty scars. When the heart's desires pushes against the mind, what's a pony to do?

  • ...
7
 60
 2,973

Chapter 11

It had been a long time since her throne room had been filled with so many angered citizens. Celestia had just pulled up the sun and stepped outside of her personal chambers when she heard the buzz of heated voices. Deciding to investigate the commotion, she was immediately made weary when she stepped into the ornate room only to be surrounded by an angry mob.

“Celestia!”

“We want answers!”

“Is it true? Is the changeling queen really alive?”

“You lied to us!”

“This is an outrage!”

“How can we serve a pony who keeps secrets like this!”

“You’ll have more to deal with than us if something isn’t done.”

“SILENCE!” A voice cut through the fray of bodies that jostled the Sol Alicorn who was confused by the accusations tossed around. “GUARDS REMOVE THESE CRETINS!”

Dark colored ponies dressed in Lunar armor stoically descended upon the fray pushing them back. Angry snarls and shouts could be heard as the nobles tried to fight back against the solid wall of united ponies. Princess Luna immediately accosted her sister’s attention and pushed her into the office connected to the throne room.

“Tia!”

Luna threw the morning’s paper on the desk as she fixed her sister with an expression of concern.

“Celestia Hides Changeling Witch… Princess Cadance Not Mare Enough to Keep Her Stallion…. What Else are Our Tyrants hiding?!” Celestia read the headings with an air of disbelief. The Moon Goddess knew how much the citizens’ trust meant to her sibling.

Elytra carefully padded into the Princess’ abode as news had spread rather quickly. Quite literally overnight. The number of angry ponies demanding to speak with the sun princess was quite overwhelming. “The local papers say that a maid overheard the Princess quarreling…”

The two sisters locked eyes. Cobalt and champagne pink irises silently posed the same question.

Elytra chewed on her bottom lip as she vocalized her thoughts. “Your Princess… was very upset.”

“She wouldn’t betray our trust like that!” Celestia argued on the behalf of her niece. Luna pursed her lips, choosing to stay silent on the matter. “Luna!” Celestia pleaded, urging her sister to speak.

The younger sighed as she turned to look at the olden Alicorn. “They can’t prove a thing. Let’s keep it quiet and maybe they’ll lose interest. Sensationalism is nothing new.”

Elytra nodded as she turned her attention to Celestia who continued to stare at the papers at a lost over how this could happen.

“Tia…”

Celestia blinked. “Y-yes?”

“We’ll wait it out. They’ll find something else to be outraged by soon enough.”

*-*-*-*-*

“Twilight? Twilight!” Rarity’s voice rang out through her friend’s humble abode. She hummed to herself as she peered around the bookish space. “Where is she?” She wondered aloud as she invited herself inside and hesitantly moved around.

She was about to leave when a loud shuffling sound caught her attention. Rarity moved to investigate when a person quite literally ran into her. The fashionista let out an undignified squeak as she fell on her aft. Her bright eyes locked onto the image of a surprised dragon with a parchment scroll in his grasp.

“Rarity!” Spike gushed as his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. “I didn’t hear you knock.” He extended a claw with an apologetic look on his friendly features. “Sorry!”

“It’s quite alright,” she assured with a smile as she accepted his help. “Uhh… Where’s Twilight?”

“In her room.” He answered, “but she’s a little upset.” He frowned.

“Oh yea?” The dragon nodded. “Why?”

“Well…” He trailed as he chewed on his lip. “I can’t say!”

“Oh come on!” She teased with a glint in her eye, “You know you can’t keep a secret!”

“Rarity…” he groaned trying to move past her. “I really have to send this off.”

“Spill!” She giggled matching his movement and blocking his exit. “Besides, I’m worried about Twilight. She’s been rather distant these past few weeks.”

The dragon opened his mouth as if to decline. “I don’t think...” Rarity gave him a pout as she batted her big doe eyes.
“OK! Twilight’sbrotherstoppedbytoaskherquestionsaboutsomestuffthathappenedalooongtimeagoandthetwoendedupfighting.” He paused to see if she was following.

“Go on, go on.” Rarity nodded with wide eyes.

“ShiningArmorwantedtoknowabouthismareheusedtoknowanditturnedoutTwilightandtheirparentshadbeenholdingoutonhimalltheseyears.SohewantedtoknowwhoshewasandwhytheynevertoldhimbutTwilightdidn’twanttotalkabout.Soshelockedherselfinherroomandrefusedtotalktohim.”

“What did Shining Armor do?”

“Hegotmadandstormedoff.Twilight’sbeensendingalltheselettersbuthewon’twriteherback-“ He stopped and took a giant breath. “Sonowshe’supsetbecauseshethinksherbrotherwantsnothingtodowithher!Hismarriageisontherocks,ifwhatthepaperssayaretrue,andTwilight’safraidofwhat’shappeningtoherfamily’shappilyeverafter!”

“Oh dear!” Rarity gasped as a hoof flew to her mouth. Poor Twilight, she thought, realizing why her friend had been so scarce. The poor thing was worried sick. She would be too if she were the lavender unicorn. Things had been getting very nasty in their nation’s capital and all of the girls were concerned about their friend. They all kept track of the current events, but none of them knew of the older Sparkle’s visit to town. “Thanks Spike,” she smiled. “I think I’m going to talk to her.”

“Alright,” he breathed as he desperately tried to catch his breath, “but don’t-“

“I won’t repeat a word.” She promised as the dragon moved past her.

“See ya, Rarity! And good luck.”

“Thanks!” The unicorn made her way to her friend’s room and knocked on the door. “Twilight, darling, it’s me, Rarity.” She heard sniffles.

“Go away, I’m not good company right now.”

“Nonsense, you usually are good company. Just let me have a look at you so I’ll know you’re okay.” She waited about two minutes when she heard the lock disengage and the door slowly creak open.

“Come in…” Twilight mumbled wiping furiously at her eyes from her position on the bed.

Rarity gasped. Her friend looked as if she hadn’t got out of bed in days. Her mane had tangles and her complexion was pale making the dark bags under her eyes all the more prominent. Twilight was truly upset. “Twilight… Are you okay?”

The harmony holder of magic shrugged as she laid her head down looking absolutely dejected. Rarity crossed the space and wasted no time plopping down in front of her friend. “I’ve seen the papers Twilight, we all have. Talk to me.” Another sniffle as indigo eyes watered. “Please…” Rarity cajoled clearly concerned.

“It’s like no matter how close I get to having my B.B.B.F.F. something, or more to the point someone, always seems to get in the way! I’m so worried about him, and the last time we spoke….” She trailed as she thought back onto that day. “I don’t know what to do,” she whimpered, “and now he won’t talk to me.”

“Twilight…” Rarity sympathized crawling up beside her as she stroked her mane. “Siblings fuss and fight, that’s nothing new. But that doesn’t mean your brother doesn’t care about you.”

“I know…” She hiccupped, “but it doesn’t feel that way. I kept something important from him. I mean, I kinda forgot about it, but I never meant to hurt him… Rarity, he was so upset!” She cried, “And now with all this- this- Stuff!” She inhaled. “His standing means so much to him and with everything going on…”

“Maybe you should talk to him.” The other suggested calmly.

“I’ve tried! He won’t take my letters.”

“Like maybe you should go to him. Apologize, badger, I don’t know- whatever you have to do- just go to him. It sounds like he needs someone by his side. And who better than his B.L.S.F.F?

“His what?”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Best Little Sister Friend Forever…”

Indigo eyes lightened in understanding as Twilight gave an exasperated chuckle. “Gross… but maybe you’re right!”

“Maybe?” The other teased.

“Ugh…” When Twilight groaned Rarity knew her friend would be okay.

“C’mon,” She encouraged. “Let’s get you cleaned up. A hot bath will make you feel better.”

*-*-*-*-*

“Have you seen the papers?” Cadance demanded with angry tears in her eyes when she burst into Celestia’s office. Celestia was absent, but Luna was not. “The things they’ve been saying about us…”

“Maybe you should have thought that before you ran your mouth.” Cobalt eyes were calm, despite the lingering accusation.

“You think I did this?” The Princess was shocked.

“Did you?”

“No… I wou-“

“What about that safety brief we asked you to give? Didn’t you convince our citizens to demand justice no matter what?” Luna was curious.

“….I did…. But I never thought…” Cadance was dazed as she sunk into her haunches. Tears pooled as her mouth opened to speak and no words came out. Everything was happening so fast.

“What’s wrong niece?” Luna softened her disposition as her impatience gave way to concern. Something was horribly wrong with her niece and it was high time that it be acknowledged.

“My marriage is over and my reputation is in shambles.”

“Cadance….”

Before she could stop herself, she found the story spilling from her lips. She talked about her husband’s lack of attention, the fighting, drinking, Faust and the fear she had about hating a child. Luna embraced her niece as she cried on her shoulder and confessed everything that had been going on.

“And you’re sure he doesn’t love you? I know that this is no way to start a marriage but…”

“No… he loves her. He just hasn’t made the connection yet.”

“Connection?”

“When we were younger… there was this mare he’d fallen for. But a lot of stuff happened and he lost her and his memory. I never put two and two together until recently.” Twilight had been desperately writing him letters for a bit now.

“The changeling queen?!”

“Yes… Or maybe the two just really favored…. But either way he doesn’t care about me the same. And knowing what I do, I can’t be his second choice.” Cadance sniffled as she pulled away to stare at her Aunt. “I can’t handle this Aunt Luna. I can’t be here knowing what I do and then having to pretend things are fine.”

“I understand… I’ll see what I can do. But you have to do something for me.”

*-*-*-*-*

“Captain…. You wished to see me?” Faust stared his Commander in the face. While he didn’t necessarily ‘fear’ his Captain he was wise to be cautious of the stallion.

“Yes, you’re pulled from guarding the princess.” The stallion continued writing without looking up. Another unopened letter sat on the corner of his desk. “I need you with Celestia’s guard for the next few days.”

A large part of the pegasus wanted to ask if this had anything to do with Cadance while another part of him was content to let sleeping dogs lie.

“Oh and Faust…” Shining Armor finally looked up.

“Yes, sir?”

“Stay away from my wife.”

“Is that an order sir, or a friendly suggestion?”

“Just a friendly suggestion.” Cerulean eyes darkened. “I’d hate for something bad to fall your way all over a misunderstanding.”

“Is that right, sir? Like the way Cadance misunderstood your rejection?”

“I never abandoned her,” Shining Armor managed with some calmness. Despite his desire to beat the other pegasus for his trespass, Shining Armor was always a professional when it came to his duties. “You’re dismissed.” He forced out with the same calm. Only one pony was capable of making him lose his cool and she was locked away at the moment.

*-*-*-*-*

Every day the crowd that occupied Celestia’s throne room grew bigger and bigger as the threats became more serious. “There have been five protests and three riots since all of this has started and the papers are only getting bolder. And that’s only here! It’s worse in the bigger cities!”

“Tia,” the younger sighed as her eyes stared out the balcony at the city before her.

“I can’t lie to them, Luna.”

“What’s it matter what they say? They have no proof.”

“It matters… It matters very much. If I don’t respond, we’ll have a mutiny on our hooves.”

“Chrysalis is practically a prisoner here. There’s nothing more that can be done unless…”

“No!” Celestia quickly rejected the idea. “I’m not- I won’t be responsible for something like that.”

“No?”

“No… She should have a trial.”

Luna raised a brow. “A trial?”

“Every creatures deserves a chance to explain themselves.”

“I don’t understand you, Tia.” A bit of bitterness leaked into the younger’s voice. “You sent me away for 2,000 years. There was no trial. Just sentencing by you.” Granted Luna understood her sister’s actions in some sense, but that didn’t mean she had forgotten it.

“I know, and I hated myself for it! I did you an injustice... but that's not to say I haven't learned from it. I missed you so much. I’ll never forgive myself for that.”

Luna sighed, “And you’d take mercy on her? The same pony who broke our niece.” She could still remember the sound of Cadance’s sobs.

“She’s expecting… I can’t take an innocent life. She’ll stand trial afterwards.”

*-*-*-*-*

The Royal Couple stood in the Great Hall with a new brief to give. The two waited off and away from the stage the staff had setup for the occasion. The Princess of Love anxiously paced the space muttering distractedly to herself. Her Aunts were counting on her to handle the situation. Her freedom depended on it.

“Cadance calm down.” Shining Armor grinned at the nervous ball of energy that was his wife. Despite the bad blood between them, she was still a pony he cared about. It was comforting to pretend, if only for a moment, that they were still this golden couple. “It’s only a brief… you’ll be fine.”

Cadance nodded as she tried to focus on the task at hand. She promised her Aunt she’d do what she could with informing the state. In turn, her Aunt would assign her a post, and quietly draw her divorce papers, not even Celestia would know until everything was signed and finalized.

“Just breathe…” Shining Armor intercepted her, staring into her eyes with a patient smile. There was so much he needed to repent for in regards to her. He was sorry about a lot of things, he realized as the two gazed at each other in a rare moment of nostalgia. He still knew her and she always paced when she was nervous. Entranced, by the color of his eyes, Cadance found herself lost in a memory of a memory. Where was this Shining Armor a couple of months ago?

Before he realized it, the Captain of the Guard was leaning forward with the intention of kissing her. Her heart wanted to swell, but her mind was so tired of disappointment. He didn’t really mean it.

“Don’t,” Cadance flinched as she turned her head away and closed her tired eyes. She couldn’t afford to become sidetracked.

“Don’t what?” Shining Armor paused as he tilted his head in confusion.

“Pretend to care…”

He wanted to argue that he never stopped but he never got a chance as she pushed past him and stepped out on stage to talk to the crowd.

“Good afternoon,” she began. “In light of the rumors going on we feel that it is time some issues were addressed.” Cadance’s tone was filled with more confidence than she felt. “A changeling has been found.” She announced exciting the crowd. “We felt it best not to announce such a development until the creature was well enough to stand trial.” The outrage her statement incurred was almost deafening. “Rest assured, no pony is getting off scot-free for what happened a few months ago. We, as your Princesses’ wanted to take every precaution before making it known that a changeling had been captured. Some of the best magical minds have been monitoring the situation as your safety has, and will always be, our main concern-”

“You promised us protection!”

“And have not our guard been patrolling tirelessly?” The Princess of Love responded.

“How can we respect a lawmaker who doesn’t protect us!”

“I can speak for the Royal military,” Shining Armor stepped up beside his wife with a serious expression on his face. They’d talk more later. Things had been getting out of hand and it was time for the issues to be addressed. “Our top priority has always been the people.”

“How can we trust you? Didn’t that changeling have you under some kind of spell on the day of your wedding? How do we know you’re not you’re not under her spell now?” The crowd murmured in agreement, turning blue eyes gray with anger. Shining Armor hated it when ponies questioned his loyalty.

“I can assure you my husband is under no spell.” The Princess immediately intervened. “But he will be stepping down temporarily from his command. As will I as other territories need guidance.” She could feel him tense and knew the news had caught him by surprise. Despite their drama with each other Cadance knew how much his job meant to him and how seriously he took it. However, these nobles were looking for every and any excuse to belittle her Aunt’s rule and she could not allow that.

“You’ll be sorry if something isn’t done about this! The streets aren’t safe!”

“And whose fault is that?!” A fire was lit in the other’s eyes as she felt her own buttons being pushed. “It is your neighbors and followers that are running amuck and disturbing the peace! To show we will not tolerate this kind of behavior any pony caught rioting or gathering in the streets in what looks like a non-peaceful protest will be arrested and forced to pay a fine of 6,000 bits.”

“What?!”

“If what you do is peaceful and non-threatening to the community, feel free to continue. If not, then you have been warned. Consider it an act of martial law. Equestria will not tolerate violence and hatred from pretentious ponies throwing tantrums.”

Most ponies were shocked by her tenacity, but some were determined to fluster the spirited Princess. “We demand that that heathen be punished.”

“That is all. We thank you for your time.”

“What was that?” Shining Armor demanded once they’d stepped off stage and away from the disgruntled citizens who were still arguing.

“Me doing my job. I know you think I have no authority but I do.”

“You can’t just suspend me!”

“I can and I did. Look, whatever is between us, this is bigger. Those creeps will do anything to have their way. I’m sorry Shining, but you’re a liability. I know how much your job means to you and I wouldn’t have done it if I thought there was another way. I hate what’s happened to us, but I don’t hate you.”

“Cadance…” His countenance softened.

“I’m leaving…”

“I know. You said-“

“No… I’m leaving you.”

“W-what?” The shock of that statement stung as much as it burned.

“There’s no point in drawing this out. We’re horrible to each other and I hate it. We used to be good friends and now… we just hurt each other. I’m tired of hurting.”

“Cadance you just can’t leave me! I love you!”

Tears pooled in her eyes, but the Princess would not let them fall. “No you don’t,” was her sad reply. “I’ve already talked to Princess Luna. The papers are ready to be signed. I’m not going to be your obligation.”

Author's Note:

Everything is coming to a head I guess.

Hope you guys enjoy this next one.

-lollipop C.