• Published 12th Mar 2016
  • 24,618 Views, 2,663 Comments

Divine Entertainment - Orthoros



A human with greek heritage is "lucky" enough to get a wish granted by no other than the Gods of the Olympus. His wish is granted, but the gods put their own little twist on it.

  • ...
58
 2,663
 24,618

PreviousChapters Next
5. Road Trip, Part 1

The sun was shining, providing light and warmth for all sorts of life. Plants used the energy given them to grow. Tall trees absorbed as much as they could in order to grow even stronger. They stood in a tight formation inside a vast sea of colors consisting of the greenest of grasses, and a myriad of flowers.

But not just the plants relished in the sun. Various critters enjoyed the day as well. A few bunnies could be seen hopping around and playing with each other. Birds flew to and from the trees, all the while regaling everyone else with a happy little song.

Amidst them, a pink butterfly which, up until now had been resting on a blue flower, alighted into the air. It flew wherever it wanted to, enjoying the freedom it had. Here and there it brushed upon other flowers, taking in their scent. After a while it spotted something out of the ordinary. It had never seen anything like this before, so it went to investigate.

It flew closer to a long stretch of dirt, all nature seemingly absent from it. Upon it was a wooden construction pulled by the biggest animal it had ever seen. The Butterfly took a daring approach, and perched on the nose of the equine as it’s landing spot. Once again it was reminded how tiny it was in comparison, as it stared up into a huge set of rose eyes. Those giant orbs stared right back at it.


Vibrant Colors was brought out of her mindless wandering when a pink butterfly came to rest on her nose. She had to cross her eyes to take a good look at it and smiled. She had always liked animals, and when she was out painting, small critters like foxes or squirrels sometimes kept her company.

Her nose began to tickle and she had to sneeze. The Butterfly was startled by it, and flew away from her. The green mare followed it with her eyes for a while, until it flew out of sight. Checking the position of the sun, she realized it was almost noon.

She cast a glance back at the cart to find that Alex was still peacefully sleeping. A sigh escaped her lips, the stallion was still a mystery to her. Everything about him was as strange as could be. Starting from the fact that she found him in the middle of some field sleeping, to her finding notes in the guest room implying he was smashing his horn on things to try and reclaim his magic.

Even though he slept for three full weeks, he still slept a lot after he woke up a few days ago. Maybe it had something to do with his amnesia? She was really worried about him, and hoped that they would find some clues to who he was exactly when they arrived in Harvest. Even though Harvest was very small, it was still connected to a trade route. In fact it was the last stop on it. After Harvest you could walk for weeks and not find any signs of civilisation.

Of course you could find a few houses here and there if you knew where to look. Vibrant wasn’t the only one who preferred the solitude for one reason or another.

Her stomach rumbled, signalling to her that it craved sustenance. Once again checking on the Sun's position she decided now would be as good a time as any to stop for lunch. Spotting an indent in the dirt road she was following, a plan formulated in her head. She made sure to align the cart’s left wheel with it and pulled over it. The cart took a hearty jump, shaking everything in it. Including Alex.

A groan told her that it was enough to wake the stallion and she had to grin at the perfectly executed plan. Honestly, she couldn’t comprehend how he didn’t wake up earlier. The dirt road they were travelling wasn’t exactly smooth, after all.

Meanwhile, Alex rose into a sitting position. Blinking the sleep out of his eyes, he started to stretch, getting his blood to circulate. He looked left and right, and was assaulted by more nature than he had ever seen before. A veritable cornucopia of colors stretched out to either side of him as far as he could see. What's more, the place he found himself in was almost creepily flat. If it wasn’t for the distant mountain range he could see to their front, he’d think he was still dreaming.

“How long was I out?” He groggily asked the mare pulling the cart in front of him.

“Good morning sleepyhead!” Vibrant answered. “It’s almost noon, so i’d say about… seven hours. How do you sleep so much? We went to bed at a reasonable hour yesterday. So you should have slept more than enough.”

She turned around to look at Alex. He had a brutal case of bed head, so she had to snicker. Alex looked at her confused, tilting his head a bit sideways.

“I couldn’t really sleep last night, so I read one of the books you had in your guestroom.” Alex lied.

While it was true that he couldn’t sleep, he most certainly didn’t read a book. He once again spent most of the night experimenting with his magic. Alas it was of no use. He tried everything he could, yet he could not get a single spark from his horn.

“Read anything good?” Vibrant asked while redirecting her view back to the road in front of her.

“ ‘Colorful Flowers guide to colorful flowers’ by… Colorful Flowers.” Alex had to frown at the title of the book. He didn’t actually read it in his time staying at Vibrant’s place, but the title was always an eyesore to him. How could anyone have such little imagination?

“Ah yes, a wonderful guide. I used it as a reference guide quite often when I was just starting out.” Vibrant smiled as she remembered those days long past. “So anyway, it’s time for lunch.”

The mare brought the cart to a halt, not bothering to pull it out of the way. As she started to unhinge herself she continued talking to Alex.

“Our Food supply should be somewhere behind you. It’s in a green saddlebag. Be a dear and take it down, would you. There should also be a picnic blanket next to it.”

Alex turned around and rummaged through the cart’s contents. He soon found what he was after, and picked them both up. He threw the blanket over his back, shortly followed by the saddlebag. Descending from the cart, he looked around to find where Vibrant had gone. After he couldn’t find her in front he decided to go to the back of the cart to see if she was there.

Not finding her there either, he returned to the front, completing a full circle around the cart. he furrowed his brows and decided to call out to her.

“Vibrant? Vibrant where are you?” he shouted, looking left and right.

“I’m over here!” came the answer shortly after.

He turned towards the sound and saw the green mare emerging out from under the cover of some trees. Relieved she hadn’t disappeared on him he started spreading out the blanket for them. He was just about to open the saddlebags to see what she had packed for them as Vibrant sat down next to him.

“What were you doing over there?” Alex asked with an inquisitive look.

“It’s considered bad manners to ask a mare that.”

Alex nodded in acknowledgement. “Well if you’re going to take a piss next time, how about you tell me? I was worried you disappeared on me.”

Alex never was one for good manners.

Vibrant pouted a bit but let it slide.

“Alright, alright. Who’d have guessed you were this jumpy? You worried I’d ditch you in the middle of nowhere or something?”

“Well I’ve only known you for a few days, so I’m more scared you’re going to sell me into slavery or something.”

Alex took out two sandwiches from the saddlebag and gave one to Vibrant.

“I sure hope you don’t though.”

Vibrant shot him a deadpan look, but took the sandwich from him anyway.

“You were sleeping in my guestroom for three weeks straight. Who’s to say I didn’t take out and sell your kidney in that time?” She smirked while taking a bite out of her sandwich.

“Well I have no incision scars for one. That and I would very much like to give you the benefit of the doubt.” Alex was munching on his own sandwich at this point.

They fell into an awkward kind of silence after that, and Alex took the time to look around once more. He noticed it at Vibrant’s home too, but everything in this world seemed more colorful somehow. Maybe it was the absence of grey stone buildings. Maybe it really was more colorful. With no way to compare he'd simply have to guess.

After thinking for awhile, he came to the conclusion that the colors here were most likely more saturated. Zeus’s letter mentioned they created this space as true to the show as possible. So the show being a cartoon, it made sense that everything would look… better. More ideal.

While he was pondering the intricacies of this world he now inhabited, he spotted a fox slowly approaching the both of them. He was curiously eying the food they were both eating. So he decided to break off a piece of his sandwich, and threw it in its direction. The fox cautiously approached the morsel and sniffed it.

After a while he looked up towards Alex again, as if weighing his options. Alex just waved to him and smiled. Apparently it decided the piece of bread was safe to eat, because after eying him for a moment he ate it.

The fox cautiously approached. When he was close enough Alex offered him another piece of bread in his hoof. It didn’t hesitate this time and immediately swallowed the whole thing. Alex patted him on the head a few times, careful not to hit him with his hoof. It leaned into him and yipped in thanks.

Shortly after, the fox left. Going to do fox things, Alex presumed.

“Did you SEE that?” Alex whisper-shouted barely able to contain his excitement.

Back in Alex’s hometown you could consider yourself lucky to even see a wild animal. That and he just petted a wild fox. Something he thought he’d never get to do.

“Yeah I did. Nothing special. The animals around here are pretty friendly, and they provide me company when I’m out drawing.” Vibrant deadpanned. “Come on, finish your sandwich. It's time we continued on, we’re burning daylight.”

Vibrant stood up, grabbed the saddlebag and threw them back on the cart. She turned around towards Alex and looked at him expectantly. He scarfed down what was left of his food, and picked up the blanket. Trotting past Vibrant he threw it next to the bags.

He started hooking himself into the cart, remembering his promise to switch after lunch and started pulling. After a few steps he noticed the suspicious absence of a second set of hooves beside him and turned around.

Vibrant was sitting on the cart sporting a smile as wide as a mile. Alex huffed and faced forward again, continuing to pull the cart.

“You know. I should have seen this coming.” he said.

“Yes. Yes, you should’ve.”

Author's Note:

Heya. A little chapter showcasing how it's sometimes the little things in life that are the most special. Also Alex notices once again how different this world is to his own.

Just got done writing chapter nine, and i'm quite happy how it turned out, the story's really coming in hard over there, so look forward to it :D

Hope you have a good read and feel free to comment!

Once again, thanks to my proofreader/editor Ambros for a job well done!

This chapter has been combed over by James Fire, thanks a lot!

PreviousChapters Next