• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 2,069 Views, 45 Comments

Ego Sum Aequalitas - Craine



Nothing to lose, and everything to gain. After weeks of starvation, thirst, and solitude, Starlight Glimmer thought she finally understood that phrase. She was wrong. So very, very wrong.

  • ...
10
 45
 2,069

Mercy

Minutes. Hours. Days.

Really Starlight hadn’t a clue how long she sat on that snowy mountain peak. How long she stared down at her old home. As if time even mattered anymore.

Going back there had been a mistake, she knew it was a mistake, but she did it anyway. And for what? To see ponies die? To see them broken and miserable? To have the very philosophy she created thrown back in her face?

No. She went back for none of those things.

A familiar clank made her ear twitch. She turned right and saw exactly what she expected to see: the lantern and the spectre who owned it. Starlight turned back to the town below.

“I don’t want your job…” she whispered.

“That can’t be helped,” Death replied, equally quiet. “This is your destiny. Lest you would have failed my riddle, and died in that cave without purpose.”

“Find somepony else,” Starlight whispered again.

“There is nopony else. You solved my riddle before death. You possessed the strongest will.”

Starlight slowly turned to Death again.

“Many have tried, and many have failed. Brave Scorpan, The Mighty Boreas, Bahamut, Starswirl the Bearded. But you…”

Starlight turned back to the town, expressionless.

“Even if any of them did solve my riddle, they could’ve never understood the forces at work. Not even Starswirl.”

Starlight said nothing.

Death joined her in silence, reverting back to pony-form, sitting on the mountain peek. There the two spectres sat, wind blowing, but never felt. The lantern sat between them, holding its black flame.

“You resist so adamantly, Starlight,” Death said. “Why? After feverish efforts to establish equality―to create harmony―you deny your destiny?”

Again, Starlight said nothing. She hoped against hope that it annoyed the spirit every bit as much as it annoyed her.

“You’ve seen it as a filly. You’ve seen it growing up. You’ve even seen it in death. Differences lead to pain and heartache. Where there are differences, there is conflict. With conflict, comes hate. Hate begets naught but war. Such is the cycle of life.”

Nevermind his silence. His voice was starting to drive her mad.

“But in death, Starlight, there is only peace. Equality. Harmony.”

Starlight gasped and her hoof jerked back. It had wandered close to the lantern, far too close. She was weak for just those few seconds, and she almost grabbed it.

“Your words are venom…” Starlight hissed, her eyes curtained by her mane.

“Such is truth, unicorn,” Death countered. “Like when you told all those ponies they’d be miserable without you.”

“That was different!” Starlight barked.

“We both know that isn’t true. The moment they saw your mark―saw how different you were―they turned on you. Didn’t they?” She said nothing. “Such. Is. Truth.”

Starlight jerked her wandering hoof from the lantern yet again. And Death didn’t say another word.

He didn't need to, Starlight knew. As little as she wanted to admit it, it was true. She sighed an echoing sigh.

“I know,” Starlight whispered. Death said nothing, but turned his faceless head to her. “I just… I just don’t like that I know.”

“Why?”

“I saw ponies―hardworking ponies―break their backs everyday to please bosses with half their ability. I saw ponies set goals for their future―for their family―and be driven to poverty by ‘important ponies’ who thought so little of them.”

Death remained silent.

“All I thought when I got my cutie mark was, ‘I can stop this’. And I did, until… until they came.”

“Thus, the rat race continued,” Death added.

Starlight paused, then nodded. “Yeah…” She looked back down over her old town. “When ponies die, I… I know there is equality. It’s a path everypony walks, no matter how high the pedestal. There’s only one certainty that everypony knows, no matter how much smarter they believe themselves to be.”

She gave Death a long, sad stare.

He said nothing.

“I don’t want this, Death. I don’t want to spend the rest of forever watching everything I tried to stop in life. I don’t want to see ponies suffer any more.”

She turned back to the town, having grown used to the void of silence that reminded her she was dead.

A black hoof found her shoulder. She turned and saw Death on her other side, sandwiching her between him and the lantern. “Wouldn’t it be kinder, Starlight? Merciful? To take them to peace? To guide them toward the tunnel’s end?”

Starlight looked back up at him, shocked by his gentler tone.

“An end to pain, misery, regret.” Death’s hoof left her shoulder. “All will be free. When all's said and done, when legacies are forged and broken, when the rat race finally ends… all are equal.”

She looked up and saw Death float over the cliff before her, holding the lantern. Offering it.

“Such is death.”

Starlight stared at it. She stared tiredly at the lantern. The souls it must’ve taken, pain it must’ve ended, the peace it must’ve brought. Such a little thing.

Starlight would suffer. She knew that. She feared that. All the faces she’d see―faces she had come to know over the years―would plead. And she would have to deny them. All the ponies who thought she was a monster, all those she’d wronged… She’d have to face them.

She would suffer. But she would get used it. She had to.

The lantern was the key.

It would reunite Sugar Belle with her father. It would bring peace to her town. It would show Twilight Sparkle the error of her ways. It would finally show all of Equestria, the world―no, the cosmos―what she tried to accomplish all along.

She took a deep breath.

The key to equality.

At long last.

Starlight took the lantern from Death.

Ego Sum Aeuqalitas

Author's Note:

Yes, yes, I know; you just sat through yet ANOTHER dark Starlight Glimmer fic. My only hope was that it stood out among its ilk.

Drop me a line friends. Until our next adventure.

Craine...