• Published 8th Jun 2015
  • 1,482 Views, 7 Comments

Heirs of Darkness - KidatHeart5



Screwball tries to find her missing dad, Discord, only to find two children, one of Sombra and the other of Tirek. Will they eventually discover the shocking truth of their births?

  • ...
1
 7
 1,482

A Miraculous Flower

Once upon a time, long ago, Equestria thrived under the rule of two alicorn sisters. The elder sister raised the sun and the younger raised the moon. These two rulers were chosen as guardians of all Equestria. They also represented the unity among all three pony races: Earth, unicorn, and Pegasus. However, their reign would soon be challenged by a powerful opponent.

Discord, the devious master of chaos, had traveled from place to place, bringing trouble and misery wherever he went. He simply did it for his own amusement…a reason the sisters did not tolerate. They tried to stop him, but whenever they attempted to seize him, he was always too quick for them, always humiliating them in the process. But soon, he realized he could not keep up this game of cat and mouse forever. He knew he had to do something to forever leave his mark should the sisters eventually defeat him. Then, he came across something…

Discord found a book out of sheer boredom, but its content soon revealed something worthy. In this book, he read about a magical flower that could enable any being, male or female, to bear a child of one’s own. This intrigued Discord, and he knew just he wanted to leave his legacy: an heir. There was, however, a catch. Many ponies and non-ponies had picked every flower of its unique kind almost to extinction. To Discord’s relief, there seemed to be one left in existence. Unbeknownst to him, two more known enemies of Equestria also wanted this flower…

King Sombra had ruled the Crystal Empire with an iron hoof. He knew that Celestia and Luna would come for him, so he fled, but not before he made the empire vanish into thin air. Sombra knew that he could not run forever, so he sought to have a child to consolidate his rule for future generations. Before he gained his dark powers, he learned that he was an Umbrum materialized in pony form. He wanted his child to be born the natural way so it could be less vulnerable to magical items such as the Crystal Heart. However, he was not the only one searching for the flower.

Lord Tirek had come from a land far from Equestria. Bent on stealing magic, he wanted to take over Equestria just as he had his father’s kingdom. He knew, however, that such an endeavor would be tricky. Surely, he needed something to secure his grip on this peaceful nation. After learning about the flower, he knew what it was he needed: a child to be the next king after him. Why, he could have two to control both nations distant from each other! This soon was to be tested on his search for the flower…

*****

Across a distant badland, there was only silence and the occasional bird call. The silence was broken by a low thudding at a distance.

THUD! THUD! THUD!! THUD!!!

The various birds were soon alarmed by the sight of Lord Tirek coming into view. Resolute in his quest, Tirek kept marching on.

Some miles away, an unearthly shadow swept across the near-barren landscape. This was no ordinary shadow, but one that growled and snarled as it trekked on its journey. It was none other than King Sombra, determined to get to the last flower so he could bear an heir. Neither he nor Tirek were aware of each other…or another being.

The flower sat on a mound all alone, save for some grass surrounding it. It was indeed a splendid flower; its thulian pink petals were bunched together into a bell shape and some golden stamens surrounded the bottom of the bell. Both Tirek and Sombra arrived simultaneously to take in this gorgeous sight. Then, they looked at each other and were shocked to see one another. When they both knew what the other was after, they scowled and dashed for the plant. Just when they were a couple yards from the flower…

“I’ll take that!”

Tirek and Sombra skidded when they heard the voice. Sombra turned back into his pony form as he slowed to a stop. Both he and Tirek were shocked to see that Discord had snatched the flower from the mound. Tirek cried, “You cannot take that! I laid eyes on it first!” Sombra scoffed, “You saw it first? I believe I did.”

Discord said, “So you both saw it first…” He held out the flower smugly and continued, “…but I grabbed it before either of you. So, I win!” Tirek wasn’t willing to let a simple mismatched creature make off with the plant, so he blasted at him. Discord, however, dodged it and said, “I think this is my cue to leave. Ta-ta!” In a white flash, Discord disappeared.

The centaur growled and shot a ray of magic at a rock formation. Sombra remarked, “You know, instead of just standing here fuming, I propose we make an alliance.” Tirek snorted, “And why would I join forces with you? You have nothing I could want.” The king said, “It’s not just what you want. It’s what we both want.

“It’s obvious we want that plant so we could produce heirs to carry on our legacies, to conquer other nations besides Equestria. We both want to make sure our lines are powerful enough so they could never be defeated.” Tirek put a hand on his chin and said, “Hmmm…You provide excellent points, but there is only one plant in existence. Which one of us will use the flower once we find it?”

Sombra explained, “Oh, neither of us will use the flower, but we will both use the child born from the flower. If the infant will be anything like its father, we could use its powers to enable ourselves to each have a child.” Tirek asked him suspiciously, “How is it you know about the thief who took the flower?” The king answered, “I’ve only heard of him. He is called Discord. He is the mischievous spirit of chaos and disharmony. Nopony knows where he came from or how he came to be.

“He just appeared one day and started wreaking havoc all across Equestria. From what I’ve heard, he is virtually unstoppable and unpredictable. Not even the Royal Sisters can defeat him. One can never tell where he’ll strike next.” Tirek asked, “Well, then how does this help us find him?” Sombra said, “Mark my words: we will find him and possibly the flower or the child.”

Tirek nodded his head and said, “Very well. I shall agree to be your ally.” While he and Sombra shook hand and hoof, they thought repulsively, Even though I already hate you.


Meanwhile, in his own dimension of chaos, Discord was at home prepping tea. He hummed merrily and took constant glances at the rare plant now sitting in a flower pot. When the tea kettle whistled, he chuckled to the flower, “Yes, sir. You are the key to my future.” While he was pouring the water and steeping the tea bag, he looked at the flower as he said, “You are going to help me leave my mark on that…” He sneered in disgust, “…dreary world of theirs.”

He took the flower by the stem and pushed up from where the golden stamens were. The pressure forced a yellow ball to pop out and Discord caught it with his paw. “Hello, my pretty,” he said to it. “You will be the one to create a new generation of chaos to bring upon Equestria!” He chuckled menacingly as he plopped the ball into the tea. He held the cup in his hands and said, “Well…cheers.”

Author's Note:

Yes, I know. I kind of took the idea of a magical flower from CartoonNerd12. But let me tell you: I thought of it first!