• Published 22nd Sep 2016
  • 2,882 Views, 47 Comments

Memories of the Equestrian Wolf - (A DRWolf Origin Story) - DRWolf



Finding one's purpose in the world can take a few steps...Or only happen over the course of dozens of lifetimes...

  • ...
6
 47
 2,882

Memories of Ponyville

Shortly after that, we left Canterlot and headed to a small town in its shadow, Ponyville. The difference was night from day. Canterlot was huge, bustling city where everypony was so busy and took little care to notice others. Ponyville was a small, peaceful village where everypony knew everypony...well, peaceful until we caught the sights of a certain pink pony. Miss Pinkie Pie's 'welcome parties' are apparently a Ponyville tradition, and one she decidedly takes quite seriously. However, in my case, I admit it wasn't the most enjoyable welcome to the town. I appreciated her intentions and knew she meant well, but stepping foot in a town and having a large party thrown for me was quite overwhelming. I'd yet to ever be the center of attention, just a curiosity, so having all eyes in the room on me gave me a bit of a fright.

In the end, I simply told Pinkie Pie that I appreciated what she'd done and agreed with her desire for us to be friends, and then allowed Teric to be the guest of honor while I stepped out of the spotlight. I did genuinely appreciate her desire to help others find joy in life, that wasn't what overwhelmed me so. In fact quite the opposite. In a number of ways, I felt a minor kinship with her in that desire. The desire to be of help and use to another. While Pinkie Pie and I rarely interact, we did part on friendly terms. On the other hand, Teric and Pinkie got along swimmingly. Both are jokers and like to help others open up, and Pinkie seemed quite excited to meet a dragon and hear about Teric's adventures and the places he's been. I imagine they still do communicate.

Of course, that party wasn't the end of our time in Ponyville, as you can plainly see. I did meet one pony that would prove quite important in my life. A nurse named Red Heart. She had been sticking to the walls, like I ultimately did. So, with nothing much else to do, we ended up talking and when I explained that I came to Ponyville looking for an opportunity to help ponies, she replied that she knew how that felt. Red Heart was not a nurse because it paid well, at least not in a small town like Ponyville. She was a nurse because helping ponies made her happy, simple as that. The more we talked, the more I think we saw one another as kindred spirits in our desires. I'm proud to say that next to Teric, Red Heart is the first true friend I made in Equestria, and one I still have to this day.

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't my request that I help at the hospital, but Red Heart's. Apparently, there was a small filly named Nursery Rhyme who was working at the hospital to learn more about medicine, primarily because her special talent revolved around nursing and medicine. Red Heart believed it'd be good for her, and for me, to have another learner taking part in the assistant program. I saw no harm in it, and agreed to give it a try. In fact, I even had some knowledge of the subject already. There had been many medical books in the Library, and that knowledge was still in my mind. And while I hadn't been able to apply it to aid the Master, perhaps I could apply it to help at the hospital. The next morning I headed to the hospital and was given a trial period as a 'young' assistant nurse.

Nursery Rhyme is quite the joy to be around. She's filled with both a child's love for life and a deep desire to be of aid and help to others. Granted, this did often cause trouble when she tried to help in a way that was beyond her abilities, but that was simply part of the learning experience. With all that said, like me she struggled with the feeling of being 'too small' to truly help at times, and in that way the two of us helped one another. We understood that common pain and were somebody the other didn't feel threatened to open up about it to. I think having that listening ear has helped both of us grow and become better creatures in the long run. And yes, I still do speak to Nursery Rhyme, she's even pitched in to help me around the office, and gets along well with my nieces.

Sadly, having that common problem did mean it was still a problem. I was of some minor assistance handing doctors or nurses tools thanks to having actual hands, but that was my limit of direct help...or so I believed. Have you ever heard of 'therapy dogs?' They're canines specifically trained and kept by hospitals because their very presence helps relieve the suffering of the patients. They're there to be emotional support and a comforting presence, a companion to make the pain and loneliness of being hospitalized more bearable. I didn't know this at the time, but I did notice that the longer I stayed there, the more the patients seemed to look forwards to my visits with the nurses and doctors. While I had been kind to them, as anyone would be, my presence and the kindness I offered did seem to make them genuinely happier.

The doctors noticed this as well, and asked if I could perhaps stay a little longer than I was planning to and simply spend time with the patients. This was not an easy choice, all things considered, as Teric did have his own journey and adventure to continue. He couldn't stay in Ponyville, there was no questioning that...so in the end, I had to choose between staying in a place I seemed to at least be of some help or continue my search. Teric's response was to promise to stay in contact and if I decided this wasn't my place, he'd buy my train ticket to where we could meet up again. He encouraged me to try and explore if it truly was my place...and we ultimately parted ways. I will admit, it wasn't until Teric's first letter reached me that I was able to relax. I was fearful of losing Teric as I had the Master...that was a fear that it took a few years for me to overcome.

Thankfully, I did have Nurse Red Heart and Nursery Rhyme to be my friends and companions in the meantime. Any who doubt the value ponies put on friendship has truly never had a friend, because I am certain I wouldn't have lasted very long in Ponyville without Teric's direct presence if I hadn't had some companionship. And for that, I am eternally grateful to them.

Speaking of companionship, I began to do as the doctors wished and be just that around the hospital...and as I did, I began to notice the underlying causes of some of that suffering my presence was meant to help with. Some ponies for example feared that their family had forgotten them. That no one cared for them any longer. Others feared that they might not recover from their injuries. Still others feared that the doctors might discover something even worse was wrong with them. While it wasn't my job, I couldn't resist trying to help them any more than I could have resisted aiding Cherry Jubilee or the other ponies I met along my journeys. Having the knowledge I had was a blessing, as I was able to reassure the ones that feared about their health that it was in their mind, and even if it wasn't, the doctors should be able to help. I was a constant companion for those that were lonely and had nopony. And I suggested that those who feared their loved ones had forgotten them to speak with their loved ones about their fears, and in the meantime remained their friend and confidant.

And it didn't end there. Sometimes I would walk into the waiting room upon ponies who were worried. I remember a specific moment when Miss Cheerilee had brought a filly who'd gotten badly injured playing and sincerely feared she'd failed the child somehow. That she'd not been watchful enough. I simply listened and only spoke to give my advice. I told her I sometimes felt as if I failed others no matter how hard I tried, but that my brother had taught me that beating myself up over it would solve nothing, something that I had to remind him of in return sometimes. That if she didn't wish to fail the child, then she needed to be there now, at least until their parents arrived. That was actually a common occurrence with ponies in the waiting room: they felt that somehow, the suffering and pain of their loved one was was somehow due to negligence or a mistake on their own part. The guilt that came with that tearing them up. And I did my best to be with them and shared my experiences, gave what advice I could. I even began to make use of the hospital's library to study up on psychology and aiding others with emotional pain, adding that knowledge to the vast stores I'd taken from the library and filling in the gaps that still remained.

And as I helped, ponies in Ponyville itself began to take notice. Some merely asked if I was around when they visited the hospital, either as a patient or as a visitor. Some ultimately came solely to see me. I admit, the first time that happened I was quite shell-shocked. Never before had somepony actually sought me out for help. I'd always wanted it, but when it actually happened it took me sincerely off guard.

And throughout this...I began to feel satisfied and content. I couldn't quite put my paw on it, but a part of me felt I was on the threshold of a door I needed to open. Ponies began to call me 'Dr. Wolf.' I believe at first it was playful, just some simple nudging and joking. But gradually, it actually started to become less a nickname and more a genuine sign of respect for what I'd been able to do for them.

The door finally opened one day when Nursery Rhyme, in that innocent way children often do, hit the nail on the head with a comment. She simply told me 'I wish I could help ponies as much as you do.' It wasn't jealousy, it wasn't envy. It was simply a child saying 'I want to be like you when I grow up.' I literally stopped in my tracks. All that time, I hadn't been helping ponies as I had out of a desire to find my place or seek out some hidden meaning. I'd been helping whenever I saw somepony who needed a shoulder to cry on or a listening ear to open up to, I'd always thought I was helping the hospital staff by being a therapy 'dog.' But when Nursery Rhyme said that...it hit me that I really had been helping all of this time. Not just at the hospital, but throughout my journey.

I remembered the loneliness of the veterinarian at the border. Cherry Jubilee and her stress. The editor in Manehatten and his problems with his daughter. And so many more. All the ponies I'd given a little bit of kindness and aid towards. Princess Celestia's advice rang in my ears: that no one, pony or otherwise, could force their destiny and special talent to surface. That they simply needed to pursue what makes them happy and it will surface all on its own. All this time, I'd been doing something that did make me happy, but I hadn't realized that in the process I'd discovered a new talent and how I could truly help: being a comforting presence and helping others with their emotional problems, not their physical ones.

I admit, I actually did cry tears of joy in that moment. I hugged Nursery Rhyme and thanked her. I quoted to her Princess Celestia's words to me and reassured her that she would be able to help more and more over time. I instantly wrote a letter to Teric, that I'd found it. I'd found my place. Yes, I know this reaction is likely a bit emotional, but I'd finally found the thing I'd devoted every moment since we left the Library searching for: how I could help ponies. And it'd been under my muzzle the entire time.

Nurse Red Heart heard me out when I explained this to her, and asked how much I knew about psychology. As I explained before, I did have quite a bit of knowledge prior to ever coming to Equestria, and I'd assimilated quite a bit more of it from books around me. She told me she'd help me become a psychologist so I could use my talents to their fullest. Naturally, this left me speechless for a moment, and I asked her why. She explained to me something I have told a great many ponies who needed to hear it since then: that ponies don't value Cutie Marks as status symbols, and those that do are missing the point. Ponies value Cutie Marks because it's a symbol of what makes you special, what makes you you. And that no pony in their right mind would ever discourage another from pursuing what makes them special. Just because I was a wolf, didn't mean Red Heart saw my talent as any less worth cultivating than her own talent for medicine or Nursery Rhyme's. And as my friend, she felt it'd be very wrong of her not to help me do so. And so she did.

As you can see, I've succeeded in reaching that mountain top. And I owe Nursery Rhyme, Red Heart, and Teric a great deal for helping me. Looking back on my life. I can't believe how far I've come. I started my life so many years ago as a little wolf pup lost in the snow. Now I'm doing something I love. Something no other wolf is capable of even imagining doing. I'm helping ponies live better lives and deal with their problems. That is the road I've traveled down, from that moment Master picked me up to now. My life has had its ups and downs. Sometimes I feel discouraged, even depressed. I still do feel some emptiness that I never discovered the true reason I was created or what became of Master. But so long as I remember the good I've done, I will return to doing what I love to do. I will always return to helping others.

After all...It's good to be helping.

Comments ( 42 )

so, we still did not get the answer of how Mrs. Wolf fits into all of this, but it is a great origin story overall.

All I can say that this was oddly heart warming :)

I'll have to read it later, but I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you for the Memories Doc I Find your story An Inspertion for my Life

This is a really good story.
Thanks for posting it.

Damn it, now I wish Dr. Wolf was an actual character in the show. :pinkiesad2:

7603257 I don't mind if you use DRWolf in a mock AMWDW in your story.

Maybe you could write about some of his patients, or write parts of this in greater detail? Sorry if the second part isn't your thing, I just like longer stories!! XD

7609048 Well, if you want to know more about some of my patients, you could always visit my Youtube channel and watch some of the "A Moment With DRWolf" series of videos.

7612038 oooooooh, I feel like an idiot!!!:facehoof::rainbowlaugh:

7597386 Well DHX did write Slice of Life, the Equestria Girls series and Keep Calm And Flutter On... They are obviously aware of our fanwork... I wouldn't be surpise if Dr. Wolf was made into a show character and DRWolf was hired to voice him... But I doubt it will happen... That being said Hasbro and DHX can still prove me wrong

7613041 It's happens to the best of us, don't beat yourself over it

7617744 I'm not, it's just kinda funny!!:rainbowlaugh:

Can we see Mrs. Wolf next?:twilightsmile:

... huh. This is the first time reading an origin story like this has left me in a sense of serene calm. Usually I'd feel more... excited or sad or something. But it's just a sense of calm instead, and that's rare for me to feel from stories I read sometimes.

I'm probably going to try to remember to read this story again sometime in the future, just simply because it's a story I'd want to go back to. I'm glad I found this story from the YouTube channel.

7865991 Glad you enjoyed it :)

7876665
Doctor Wolf, I know you may get this sort of comment a lot of times from other people but I still want to say this anyways for you to read.

Thank you for making this story, for making the AMWDW videos, for working together with others in creating things that everyone can watch and listen to, and thank you for all that you can continue to do.

Even if it's just a simple phrase, it is all I can say to express my gratitude to what you've done so far. Even if I must envy you a little bit for what power you can use for helping others in different ways, and like you say at the end of AMWDW videos: "It's good to be helping"

Even if it's a small comment, to me... it is something I don't get to hear often from others, so again thank you.
-Raizuo

7877133 Glad to be of service :)

7585020 Story was probably written before Dr Wolf's wife started joining in on the youtube stuff with her husband.

oh how i love it and hey maybe hes still alone not to be rude or saddening but you never really aged in the libray or hungerd or thirseted maybe he got lost who know but i think he is understands that you left stay stong my fav gray little wolf

this story is really nice :D

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Glad I finally got to read this. I've always wondered how your character fits into Equestria. Plus, this was quite nice. :)

Comment posted by Vision deleted Dec 18th, 2017

Would be cool to read a continuation, where master returns to find Dr.Wolf.

Found this on Youtube. Not many things can completely pull me away from my writing, but I didn't want to miss a word of this (or picture: compliments to the artists). You (and Godzillawolf) are good writers, and you, Dr Wolf, are a good person. A great person.

Hello, Doctor Wolf, thank you for this, and for the youtube videos, and the dramatic reading, it was so beautiful...

Just out of curiosity, though, are you a doctor and/or psychologist in real life? By the way, what were the names of the background music that you played while doing the reading, they sounded really good, and I don't think they were listed too clearly in the description or the credits...

9316265
There are terrible things in our world, yes; but much good as well. Your desire for peace and happiness like you see in the beautiful fantasy of Equestria is a sign that you, as all people, are meant to find it in the Truth. Message me if you need any help, God Bless!:scootangel:

Such a great origin story! Thanks Dr.Wolf!:yay:

I know it's 2020 now but, I still have a few questions. What is that library in that desert you explain it as so unnatural. Is the library based on a mlp comic or one of the older generations or did you make it up by basing it off of Earth mythology, stories, ect. ect. What about it now? Have others tried to locate it?

10059108
The Library hadn't been based off of anything from MLP. I'm sure there are other locations in mythology which might have indirectly inspired it's otherworldly nature, but I hadn't thought of anything specific when coming up with the idea. And as far other characters are concerned, DRWolf knows of no one else who had ever visited the library. But then, Master must have read tales from Someone who's been there before :)

Wow your OC's origin story makes me feel feeling that I don't know how to deal with. I don't not like it, it is just a lot of things to think about. Also I feel like I want to give your OC a cameo in my fanfic. I mean we do both have wolfish OC's.

Your story is amazing doctor Wolf I never knew you wrote a fan fiction story before unless I missed it but still this is amazing

Usually when I read watch or do anything I easily keep a blank face on
But this
this made me cry.

10571644
Glad to hear that you enjoyed our story so thoroughly :)

Begging your pardon Doc, but can I have permission to use your story's library for a fic I'm working on?

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

One of the best MLP: FiM fics I've ever read. You find your purpose when you're not looking, that's for sure.

It happened to me, as a matter of fact...

10812391
Sorry for the late reply, but I don't think that'd be an issue.

10826393
Glad to hear that you enjoyed this story so thoroughly :)

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on the full "Memories of The Equestrian Wolf" Dramatic Reading out on Youtube.

10884087
Many thanks Doc

10884089
I will definitely listen to it when I have the time. Thanks for pointing it out for me!

Doc, this story is a treasure.

10922800
Glad to hear that you enjoyed this story so thoroughly :)

Login or register to comment