• Published 7th Jun 2015
  • 11,226 Views, 411 Comments

The Nobody's Regret - Synthetic Soul



After I was Displaced, I found myself as Roxas from kingdom hearts, in the world of My Little Pony. I became good friends with Celestia and Luna. But after a tragic event unfolded, that I could have prevented, I sent myself into exile.

  • ...
59
 411
 11,226

XXVIII.

A shockwave of hot and cold air reverberated from the now demolished Sugar Cube Corner. Many of the part guests lay scattered across Ponyville, while those who were outside of the shop now ran for their lives like mindless livestock. A loud shriek sang out, loud enough for all of Ponyville to hear it. It was like the call of an eagle, but much deeper.

Collapsed on the ground, and lightly bleeding from many small cuts, Twilight blinked her eyes, and looked up to see pure and utter chaos in front of her. Sugar Cube Corner had exploded, and now only the jagged wood of the lower foundation remained. Many of the houses and buildings near it suffered lesser damage, and most of the ponies of in the town were now fleeing from the scene. Those that weren’t were on the ground, either groaning in pain, or motionless all together. But all Twilight could focus on was the impending form of an amalgamated creature that sent a chill of fear through her spine.

It had a large dull purple body laced in feathers, with a strange black and red symbol embroidered on its chest that Twilight couldn’t recognize. Two long orange multi-jointed eagle arms with claws shot out from its lower body. It had a long tail ending in a spear point, accompanied by three sets of tail feathers. On the upper body, jutting from the neck was a large set of wings with sharp feathers jutting from them. The head was large and gray colored. It looked like that of eagle, only it spawned two distinct faces. One had a long sharp orange beak, and hateful red eyes formed in a tight glare. The other had a softer beak, with a pair of blue eyes that seemed to emanate nothing but sadness. The size of a medium dragon, the creature hovered in the air, looking as menacing as an army of timber wolves.

“S-spike?!” Twilights mind immediately went to that of her ward. She quickly got to her hooves. “Spike! Spike, where are you!” she called. She looked around frantically for the small dragon, but couldn’t see him anywhere.

“Twilight!” Rainbow Dash quickly appeared, hovering right next to the purple unicorn.

“Twilight, are you alright?”

“What-what happened…I can’t find Spike! Where’s Spike!”

“I don’t know! I have no idea what just happened but…what IS THAT THING!?”

Both ponies looked to the creature as it let out another roar.

“I don’t know,” replied Twilight. “I’ve never seen anything like it in any book I’ve ever read! But that’s not important right now! We need to find the girls! We need to find Spike!”

“Twiiiiiiliiiiiight!” The two ponies looked to see Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy galloping towards them.

“Girls!” cried Twilight as the four grouped up.

“What they heck is going on!?” questioned Pinkie Pie.

“We don’t know,” replied Twilight.

“One minute, Gilda was throwing a fit, and then the next-“ Rainbow’s eyes widened, and she quickly looked towards the wreckage of Sugar Cube Corner. “Gilda…what happened to Gilda!?” Rainbow started to make a fast dash towards the remains, when she was stopped by Twilight, who held her friend in a magical grasp.

“Wait a sec Rainbow! We can’t just rush in with that monster there! We don’t know what it’s capable of?”

“But we have to do something!”

“The Elements! We need the Elements to stop that thing!” asserted Twilight.

“But those are all the way in Canterlot!” sated Fluttershy.

“And we can’t wait that long! We have to find Gilda and the others!”

“You don’t need to worry about finding Gilda.”

All four ponies heads turned to see the Roxas standing behind them.

“What? What do you mean?” questioned Pinkie Pie.

“I can’t speak for the others, but Gilda is accounted for.” Rainbow rushed right up to Roxas’ face.

“Where is she?” she asked hurriedly. Roxas raised an arm and pointed right at the strange creature. All ponies looked at the beast.

“You mean it…ATE her!?” questioned Rainbow in alarm.

“No. That IS Gilda. At least what’s left of her,” replied Roxas.

“What?” cried Rainbow.

“What do you mean? This doesn’t make any sense!” asked Twilight.

“Look, we can go into depth later. Right now all you need to know is that that is Gilda. She’s become what’s known as a Heartless.”

“What’s a Heartless?” asked Fluttershy.

“A creature of darkness,” replied Roxas. “To put it simply, a monster.”

“But wha-“ before Twilight could finish, Roxas interrupted her.

“I’ll explain later! Right now, we need to address this situation! You four should look for survivors, and get them to safety! I’ll take care of the Heartless.”

“What are you going to do?” questioned Rainbow. As a response, Roxas summoned his Keyblade, and started walking towards the monster that was once Gilda.

“Wait!” cried Rainbow, dashing right in front of Roxas and putting a hoof out to stop him.

“You’re going to KILL her?”

“SHE is already gone. All that’s left is the Heartless.” Roxas started forward again. He was once again stopped by Rainbow.

“You can’t!” Roxas looked into the pony’s teary eyes, and saw the pain inside them. He realized something in that moment. Gilda turned into a heartless, something that had never happened before. It was something that was supposed to be impossible, separated from Equestria by a completely different supposedly fictional universe. But it had just happened. Here he was as Roxas. Was this because of him? Did he bring this possibility to Equestria when he arrived? Roxas didn’t know. But what he did know was that if it could happen to Gilda, it could happen to others as well. Even Rainbow. He wasn’t about to let that happen.

“Listen Rainbow. I know you’re upset. This is a bad situation, and if I could undo it, I would. But I can’t. What you need to know is that Gilda has fallen to darkness. That thing-,” Roxas pointed to the Heartless, “-is what’s left. Gilda’s gone. I’m sorry, I really am. But there’s no saving her.”

Rainbow was now crying a full force, and Roxas could see the pain she felt envelop her body.

“But listen,” said Roxas, putting a hand on Rainbow’s wither. “I can put her at peace with this,” he explained, while holding up his Keyblade. “This can put her at rest, and end her pain. I know this probably won’t make you feel much better, but I need you to do something for me.”

“W-what?” shuttered Rainbow.

“Do not let this pain take hold of your heart,” said Roxas as he pointed to the spot in in Rainbow’s chest that housed it. “Or you could end up just like her. You need to be strong, and look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Can you do that for me?”

“I…I don’t…I-“ another roar came from the Heartless as it began making it’s move. The creature opened its sharp beak and expelled a blast of red magic energy, which caused a fiery explosion, and numerous screams.

“Damn, we don’t have any more time to wait. Girls, get everyone out of here! I’ll take care of the Heartless!” The ponies nodded, and left to look for their friends. Roxas stepped around Rainbow, and was about to charge forward, before he said one last thing to Rainbow.

“Please Rainbow. Have hope in your heart. The others need you. Ponyville needs you. Someday you’ll understand what I mean by that.” And with that, Roxas charged forward, preparing to engage the Heartless. Rainbow hovered there, with tears running down her face.

‘Is this my fault? Did I do this to Gilda?’Another roar bellowed as Roxas started fighting the beast of darkness.

“I, I need to focus on helping the others,” said Rainbow as she wiped a hoof on her face. “I just need to stay focused!” With a quick flap of her wings, the Pegasus shot into the air, heading out to help the ponies that needed her.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! Hope everyone is virus free! I've got a nasty virus on my PC, and this quarantine has done NOTHING to help!

If you like my words, and don't like money, you can support me here:

Ko-Fi Buymeacoffee

Also, some bonus content, here's the sketch I did for the Gilda Heartless: https://www.patreon.com/posts/36899438 (This F**ken site makes it so hard to post images)