• Published 25th May 2012
  • 27,090 Views, 2,387 Comments

Of Challenges and Kisses - RavensDagger



Featherweight tries to kiss Scootaloo, stuff happens.

  • ...
52
 2,387
 27,090

A New Suit, A New Colt

He looked up at the building. Its checkered blue sides and purple and pink trim rose up to the carousel that gave the building its denomination. Right above his head, a gaudy sign announced its name: aptly called Carousel Boutique.

Do I really need to be here? he wondered as he eyed the entrance apprehensively. He shuffled his weight from side-to-side, bit his lip, then took a step forward. He froze. But I don’t want to go in there, he told himself. What if Sweetie is there... or worse, Rarity.

He shook his head. Idiot, one of the two’s going to be there no matter what. I just need to trot in, ask for a suit, pay for it, and trot out. Keep it business-like, none of the fluffy, feely stuff.

Featherweight took another step, then paused once more. Some of the ponies going about their day were pausing and staring at his antics at the entrance. Sweetie Belle. She likes me, doesn’t she? Oh, who am I kidding, she admitted it herself. But... do I like her?

“Gah, I don’t have time for this!” he screamed at the top of his voice, drawing quite a bit more attention his way. “Sorry,” he said, cringing as he snuck towards the doorway. I like Scootaloo, that much I know. And I’m going with her tomorrow. Not Sweetie Belle. That’s that.

With a gentle push of his forehoof, the door swung inwards, releasing a warm breath of perfume-filled air from the building. Chimes tinkled above the door, the ringing quickly absorbed by the huge showroom.

In the centre of the room, a white unicorn was bending under a mannequin, a dozen needles held between her teeth as she hummed to herself and placed them one by one with her magic. “One moment, dear,” she called before Featherweight sat down and patiently waited, his attention straying to a row of mannequins set along the wall that looked at him with their faceless heads. Opposite them were wheeled racks covered in clothes of every colour and hue.

Rarity carefully pierced the newly-made dress with the last of her needles. “Just a few more stitches... and done!” The elegant mare stood and turned her glasses-covered face towards him, her mane swinging around her to land in the perfect position. Her deep, royal blue eyes alighted on him, widening before narrowing into little slits. “Ah... you.”

Featherweight averted his eyes even as he pawed the carpeted floor. “Um, hello, Miss Rarity.”

“Hello, Featherweight,” she replied, removing her glasses with her magic before depositing them on a nearby table. The mare coughed lightly before resuming in a cold, yet professional, voice. “What are you here for today?”

“I, uh... I need a suit. For the Spring Fling.”

“I see.” Rarity walked across the room, her muffled hoof-falls the only sound in the room as she made her way to a rack filled with suits. Her distinct blue aura surrounded it and pulled three samples out, floating them between herself and the colt. “These are the most commonly sold ones to... young stallions like yourself.”

Featherweight stood and walked towards the suits, scanning them over. These aren’t really that nice, he thought as a baby blue affair with bright green buttons floated by. I think she’s doing it on purpose. “None of these are, um...” Be tactful; she might still have scissors around.

“These don’t really suit me, Miss Rarity.” She pushed forwards and took a peek at the other suits that had yet to move from on the steel rack. Most were simple, black, and had tags well within his means. “Maybe one of those?” he asked with a sheepish smile while pointing at them.

Rarity gave the stand a swift kick of her hind leg, sending it flying back until it crashed into the wall, dropping coats and fancy pants left and right. “Those one’s aren’t for sale,” she said, giving him a sweet grin.

“Miss Rarity?”

“Yes, Featherweight?” Her smile began to strain on the edges.

“I have the impression that you’re showing me... less popular outfits on purpose,” he said, an eyebrow rising quizzically.

The mare huffed and pouted, her muzzle pointing up in denial. “Why, I’d never do that to an esteemed customer!”

His brows never moved. “Is this because of Sweetie Belle?”

She peeked down at him, then sighed and shook her head, the three suits leisurely travelling back to their place on the supports. “Fine. I guess it’s not very fair of me to treat you this way. Yes, it’s about Sweetie Belle.”

“Which part, exactly?” Featherweight cringed.

Rarity wheeled on him. “Well, she told me how she cares for you, but you persist on pursuing that little tomcolt, Scootaloo. I know I can’t fault Scootaloo; she’s done nothing wrong in occupying your affections. From the sound of it, she just barely returns your feelings. What irks me is that you know how much my dear Sweetie Belle cares for you, yet you continue to give her hope of a relationship. The poor thing is bending over backwards for you, twisting Scootaloo’s wings in order to get her to go on these little ‘dates’ of yours, practically begging me for those Wonderbolts tickets, and I’ve never seen her practice her magic any harder than she has been after you praised her that, one, time.” The mare stomped forwards, looking at him through the bottom of her glasses.

He stepped backwards, reeling away from the calm mare.

“After she came home yesterday, she tried to put on a brave face for me, but broke down sobbing the moment she was in her room. I understand that you care for Scootaloo, I really do, but you need to make it absolutely clear to Sweetie that your relationship with her will never become anything more than friendship… will it?” She leaned forwards, her face so close to his he could smell the turnip and hay she ate for breakfast. “Will it?”

“Well, I uh, I guess not.”

“Very well. If you’re any sort of gentlecolt, you should tell her that yourself.” Rarity lifted away from him, back straightening as she turned to face the shop’s rear entrance. “I’m sorry for all of my hostility earlier; such crude actions are rather unbecoming of a lady like myself. But I love Sweetie with all my heart, and it hurts me terribly to see her in such pain,” she said while walking away.

“You’re a good sister, Miss Rarity.” Why’d I say that?

She beamed at him over her shoulder, her teeth flashing in the track lights. “Thank you, dear.” Rarity took a few more steps, then paused. “Oh, now that we have that all settled, how about we fit you with a nice suit. I have the most darling outfit for you!” Her horn glowing, she popped open a chest near the exit and pulled out a bright green outfit with thick lapels and golden buttons.

Oh sweet Celestia, please no. Featherweight swallowed hard, the multi-hued piece of clothing the only thing he could focus on. “Um, no thanks, I’ll take something more... conventional.”

Rarity hummed. “You’re the fourth to say that,” she mused before tossing the offending thing back into the case. “Oh well. I’ll fetch Sweetie.”

The door closed with an almost silent click, leaving Featherweight alone in the room.

He sat in the middle of the floor, eyes roaming around the shop. Huh, wasn’t I here like this before? All alone... “Ah!” I remember, that’s the day Sweetie kissed me.

He coughed, clutching his chest as his body bent forwards, blood rushing to his face even as his eyes watered. Why’d I have think of that?!

“Oh no! Are you okay?” a sweet, high-pitched voice said, one that made his ears twitch wildly.

Delicate hooves touched his back, gently encouraging him to straighten out. With a gasp of air, Featherweight stopped his fit and quickly wiped a hoof by his eyes. “Are you okay?” she asked again, prompting the colt to turn and stare into a deep pair of grey-green eyes.

“Oh, hi, Sweetie Belle,” he said, mouth turning to cotton while bullets of sweat began to make their way down the nape of his neck.

The filly sat near him, her eyes immediately flinching away as she studied everything but him. Featherweight blinked, then narrowed his eyes as he scanned her quickly. Her hooves were shivering and constantly moving, her whiter-than-white coat had tints of deep red around her cheeks, and she was biting her lower lip. “So... uh, I came here to buy a suit. You know, for the thing...”

“Oh, right!” she exclaimed, looking up to meet his gaze. She smiled, closing her eyes as she did so. “I have something for you; I think you might like it.” Sweetie Belle turned around and pranced out of the room, the door hardly clacking shut before swinging open once more.

Floating beside her on a clothes hanger was a well-pressed and perfectly trimmed tuxedo, a black bowtie dangling around the hook. She grabbed hold of one of the benches at the make-up mirrors and dragged it near him. Then, being careful not to crease or mar the fabric, she gently laid the suit over the wood. “Here, all yours!” she said, a beaming grin splitting her face.

Featherweight approached it, blinking as he looked at it carefully. The material was a soft black satin with a silver trim along all of the edges. Pieces of loose thread poked out from some seams and most of the trimming was crooked or badly pressed. “It’s uh, it’s really nice,” he said, his eyebrows knitting together in concern.

“Oh, thanks,” Her face blushed instantly as she demurely focused on her hooves. “I made it myself, just for you.”

“Oh, wow!” He looked at it again with newfound appreciation. “It must’ve taken you forever.”

“No... just a few weeks... it’s nothing, really, compared to my sister’s stuff.”

He gave her a huge grin as thanks. “Should I try it on now?”

“No, it’s okay. I know all your measurements.” One of his eyebrows rose. “You, you can have it,” she said, pushing both the bench and suit forwards. “I’ll go fetch a bag.”

He blinked twice, looking between the filly walking to the counter near the entrance, to the black tuxedo. “Wait, as in, free?”

Sweetie Belle disappeared behind the desk with the cash register, her head reappearing moments later from above the table “Of course I meant free,” she said before dropping again.

“Bu-but you worked so hard. I can pay, you know; it won’t be a problem,” he protested, taking a few steps her way.

“Don’t argue. I made it for you, and I want you to enjoy it.” Her tail stood out from above the counter, waving from side to side. “Now, where’d she put the medium-sized bags?”

Featherweight sat beside the tuxedo and touched it, his hoof playing across its surface. She really did go all out. All that for me, and Scootaloo... Would Scoots do the same for me? He looked back at the still-wagging tail. She’s the nicest pony I know, he thought, somehow knowing it was true.

“So, Sweetie,” he began, trying to relieve the tension of the room’s quiet. “Are you going to the Spring Fling?”

The tail froze and stood stock-still for a few moments before pulling down. A few moments later, Sweetie Belle trotted out, an empty bag with the shop’s logo adorning its side in her mouth. Her entire upper body was flushed red as she spoke. “Well, uh, yeah, I’ll be going.”

“That’s cool,” he said as she approached. “So, who’ll you be going with?”

The filly froze, immediately turning her face away from him and dropping the bag. “I-I... I um,” she stumbled over her words, her voice breaking at every pause. “I think I left laundry in the oven!” she exclaimed before galloping by him, a few thick sobs escaping her.

“No, wait!” The last Featherweight saw of Sweetie Belle was the sparkle of light off a wet cheek as the shop’s door closed with a boom of finality. He gently lowered the hoof raised towards the exit, using it to hit himself in the face.

“I’m such an idiot,” he groaned in the sudden solitude of the boutique. The colt sighed and reached forwards, grabbing the suit with his wing tips and bringing it to the bag. Carefully, he slid the cloth into it and let out another sigh before picking the bag up. Head low and tail dragging behind him, Featherweight moved to the door and pushed it open, the joyful ringing resounding in his head.

Outside, the sun was uncharastically strong, covering the entire town in the glow of Celestia's light. The air smelt of summer and the glee associated with it: from fresh flowers in the meadows, to the blooms of the hundreds of apple trees starting to flower.

The lone colt began to march at a deliberately slow pace, his mind working while his hooves carried him ahead. What should I do? he asked himself as he skirted around the town, open fields on one side and dozens of thatch-roofed houses on the other.

He grumbled, passing a small group of colts running and cheering together as they were led by a grey pegasus. Sweetie Belle isn’t very happy, is she? Is it my fault? Is Scootaloo happy with me? Featherweight slowed to a halt, eyes glazing over. Am I happy?

“Gaaaaah!” he screamed in frustration, stomping the ground with all four hooves. No. I’m not happy. This entire thing is driving me mad! “Why can’t love just be simple?” he whined, before abandoning his stomping and carrying on.

All right, let’s boil this down. The colt let out a tight breath, loosening his chest as he did so. Do I like Sweetie Belle? I guess I do. She’s nice and all, and kinda cute, and she likes me back... a lot.

The colt took a tight turn into an alleyway leading to a housing street. What about Scootaloo? he wondered, kicking a can out of his way. I... I liked her for a very long time. But never up front. Do I still like her? She’s rash, and fast, loves all sorts of things, except me, and she’s really, really cute.

Head low, he walked around a house and back into another alley, the stench of piled up garbage wafting over to him. He groaned as he passed through, increasing his pace. Beyond, he reached a small park-like glade right on the town’s edge filled with a few tall trees and some artfully placed bushes.

But do I love Scootaloo? She hasn’t been all that nice to me, and... well... He slowed to a stall once more. Do I still love her?

Nearby, one of the bushes shook lightly, rustling despite the lack of wind.

Featherweight's mind stilled as he blinked at the bush, eyes widening and ears perking. Slowly, he snuck towards the shrub just as another sound escaped it: a sob.

Through the green and vibrant leaves was a greyish-purple form, one that shook constantly as branches caught onto its coat. “Um, hello?” he asked, voice low and inquisitive. “Are you okay in there?”

The sobs stopped, replaced by a loud hard gulp. Then, nothing.

“I’m Featherweight. It’s okay.” Is she injured? He lowered himself, front hooves bending until his head was beneath the edge of the bush.

“I’m okay,” a squeaky voice said. “Ju-just leave me alone, please?”

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you... Miss...” Between the leaves, he saw a filthy blonde mane move, the sunlight briefly catching on its golden streaks.

There was a pause, a few moments passing in quiet until the filly finally sighed. “Okay, I’ll come out... b-but only if you don’t laugh at me!” she added, voice firm, until it suddenly cracked. She looked down, another wracking sob escaping her.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye,” he said, waving his hooves around before touching his eye.

She giggled sadly before branches began snapping and leaves shook off, falling to the ground in droves as the occupant of the bush burrowed out of it. The filly fell onto her haunches at Featherweight’s hooves. “So, are you okay?” he asked, gingerly helping her to sit up straight.

From the tip of her tiny horn to the bottom of her hooves, she only stood as tall as Featherweight’s chin. Her small head bowed down as tears still slipped from her eyes. The filly ran one of her minuscule hooves across her muzzle, then sniffed shyly. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, her big yellow eyes looking away in shame.

“Oh, don’t be sorry. I-I, uh... how about we talk about it? I guess?” He scratched the nape of his neck, giving her the most reassuring smile he could muster.

She looked at him uncertainly, her ears drooped and her eyes still filled with fresh tears that had left streaks down her puffy red cheeks. “I don’t know...” They both blushed.

“Well, how about I, uh, escort you home?”

She nodded. “Well... okay, I guess. My name’s Dinky Hooves, but... most ponies just call me Dinky.”

“Hi, Dinky. I’m, uh, Featherweight,” he said, his smile beginning to strain. “So,” he asked, pawing the ground. “Where do you live?”

The filly twisted around, shyly pointing with the tip of her hoof across the hills beyond town. There, hidden within the thick evergreens, was a beige timber shack nestled up to the side of an enormous tree. Stretching to the house was a hoof-beaten path edging along the hill’s crest.

“Huh, I never noticed that place.” Featherweight leaned in the house’s direction, squinting and shading his eyes from the sun with a hoof.

Dinky bit her lower lip. “Mommy likes to be... apart, from the other ponies.”

Featherweight nodded and took a few steps forwards, snapping a few fallen branches as he did so. “Okay, should we get going then?” he asked.

Her tiny head bobbed up and down before she scampered ahead of him. Featherweight walked at her side, taking one step for every two of hers. The impromptu couple slipped out of the shadow cast by the glade and marched through the long grass beyond, the blades slipping between their hooves in waves.

Neither spoke; they just walked shoulder to tiny shoulder while heading to the beaten path. Dinky hung her head, the tip of her stunted horn pointing the way as she consistently let out small sighs and the occasional sob compressing her chest.

The colt slowed to a halt and patiently waited for her to notice his departure. Three plodding steps later, the filly stopped, wiped her eyes, and looked back at him.

He stomped his hoof into the ground, sat, and pouted. “I refuse to move on.”

Dinky blinked at him, her watery eyes staring back in confusion. “Did- did I do something?” she asked, her head sinking into her shoulders. “I’m sorry.”

“I refuse to move on, until you tell me exactly what’s wrong.”

“I-I, but—”

“Every detail. Or I’m not moving,” he said before huffing.

The filly took a few steps his way. “But... I...” She sighed once more. “Well, okay, I guess.” Then, she wheeled on him. “But, please, please don’t tell anyone. It’s embarrassing.” Dinky focused on the ground as a massive blush reddened her cheeks.

“Come on, I promise I won’t tell a soul.”

“Well... okay, I guess. Can we continue walking, though?”

He smiled at his victory and pranced ahead, keeping to her side as she trod along, her head in the clouds for a few moments.

Clouds flitted by high above them, casting long, thin shadows across the hillsides. Birds played in the sky, their glee at the arrival of summer palpable. “It’s Rumble,” she said, peering at Featherweight from the side. “He’s one of the colts in class. You know him? He’s tall, and grey, and has the coolest mane.”

“Yeah, we’re in the same school... which reminds me, I never saw you in school before.”

“Oh, my mom homeschools me,” she explained. “Anyway, I... I... um, well...”

He smirked knowingly. “”You like him?”

The filly at his side stumbled forwards for a few steps, almost tripping over nothing, her face blushing more than ever. “Well, yeah, I guess... Um, well, recently, I sorta wanted to be with him.”

Just like me with Scootaloo, huh? “Okay, go on.”

They were more than halfway to her house, the beige building clearly visible between the green leaves and branches.

“He, well, he was nice, I guess, but he was with his colt friends and they weren’t very nice to me at first. Then, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon began to laugh at my mommy, and he told them off.” She sighed, her eyes sparkling as she stared dreamily into the cloudless sky. “He’s so galant.”

“Is that why you’re sad?”

“Well, sorta. I wanted to... you know... spend some time with him. And we sorta did, at first. But, well, he likes spending time with his friends more, and playing games with the other colts and fillies, and being all cool. So I tried to be like him, you know, to do the things he likes.” Another sob escaped her. “I messed up. I wanted to do good, but I just couldn’t. He’s so much better than I am. Then, Diamond Tiara came to me...”

“I think I see where this is going.”

“She- she told me that if I did this one thing, he’d really, really like me, and I’d get invited to play with them, too.”

Featherweight shook his head. “And what did she tell you to do?”

Dinky studied her quickly-approaching home. “Well, she said if I got some cakes from Sugar Cube Corner, and if I brought them to her and Rumble, he might think I’m brave and stuff... so I did.”

Featherweight blinked, his wings rustling on his back. “You stole from Pinkie Pie?” he asked, causing the filly to flinch. “I’m sorry. Go on.”

“Well... Rumble wasn’t happy, and all the others did was say it wasn’t right. He- he said... stealing wasn’t cool, and... and I was... was just a- a meany.” The filly swallowed past a lump in her throat as tears began to pour down her eyes. “He’ll never love me!” she exclaimed before stopping on the spot, cries once more freely escaping her.

“Ah, um, don’t be like that?” Featherweight said as he approached her and gave her a timid hug, wrapping a wing around her while she buried her face into his shoulder. Warm, wet tears began to cascade onto his coat while he sat there, petting her back rhythmically and staring at the sky, wishing he were far away.

Her tears dried out, even as she continued to sob into his side. “I’m sorry,” Dinky squeaked, her face still buried in his shoulder.

“It’s fine,” he replied. “How about we get you home, all right?”

The filly shook her head, wiping off excess tears and some snot on him before pulling back. “I-I’m sorry. Mommy wouldn’t be very happy if she saw me taking things that aren’t mine.” The filly hiccuped. “What about you?”

He blinked. “What about me?”

Dinky began taking slow, shaky steps towards her home, gingerly moving forwards as if her tiny legs could hardly support her beaten and emotionally drained body. “Don’t you love someone? You seem like a nice enough colt.”

“I-I-I sorta do, I guess, maybe.” It was his turn to blush. The unpaved road changed below them, going from pounded dirt to a simple gravel and pebble pathway that arced and spun around the trees, bushes, and patches of well-tended flowers.

The house’s door was wide open, the aroma of freshly baked muffins wafting out into the breeze and his hungry nostrils. “There are two, I guess.”

“Tell me about them... if you don’t mind?”

This is a bad idea... She might start crying again. “The first... I really, really like her. She’s pretty, and fun, and cool. But... she doesn’t really like me. Or at least, I don’t think she does.”

“And the other?” Dinky prodded, blinking away the last of her tears as her huge eyes stared up at him curiously.

“She’s... different. She likes me; I know she does. And yet, she actually tries to help the other filly. Heh, she’s sorta cute, too. She’s the one that gave me this suit and she’s always trying to help me, or be closer.” He finished just as they arrived at the two steps leading into her house.

Dinky hopped up before she spun around. “Sounds like you should go for the second one; she sounds way better for you.”

“Yeah... maybe...”

“Also, what suit are you talking about?” she asked, head tilting to one side.

Featherweight spun around, his eyes fixating on the minuscule form of a Carousel Boutique bag placed far, far away, near the town. “Crud.”

Dinky giggled, the joyful sound ringing about the glade around her house. “I’m sorry, that’s my fault, I guess.”

He shrugged. “I’ll have to go get it quickly; it might rain or something.” He nodded in good-bye and took a few steps back. “Oh, and you should apologise to Pinkie Pie, although I somehow really, really doubt she doesn’t know. Promise?”

The filly nodded sagely. “I promise.”

“Good! Now, here’s another tip: just be yourself. If you need to work at being someone else, then maybe this Rumble colt isn’t for you. You need to find someone who likes you for who you are. Oh, and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are a bunch of self-entitled cowards.”

Dinky nodded again, her mood restored to some degree. “Thank you, Featherweight. You’re really nice, and I hope you do well with that filly; she sounds nice, too...”

“Yeah,” was all he said as good-bye. Turning, the colt began trotting along the road, heading for his temporarily forgotten bag. He looked down at the mess the filly had left from crying on his coat.

I need a shower.


So do I, Feathers, so do I.


Alright! So, I wrote an Ebook, and am now going to shamelessly advertise it here! Don’t worry, like all my stuff it’s free (Unless you want to donate, which I don’t encourage you to do)!

And, these people helped:

Edited by:

-StapleCactus

Pre-Read by:

-Frederick the Saiyan

-Cpl Hooves

-FlutterSyke (Look, a new guy!)

Was Dinky cute?


She might be the protagonist if I ever decide to write a sequel.

Oh, and this is the before-last chapter (unless the next one becomes too long, in which case I might split it). So advertise!