• Published 20th May 2012
  • 10,639 Views, 370 Comments

My Little Staring Contest: Alicorns can stare for a very long time - CosmicAfro



Luna and Celestia stare at each other in a contest for a muffin

  • ...
22
 370
 10,639

Five minutes later: The conclusion, part 1

Five minutes later

“What are you smiling at, Celestia?” Nightstare moon asked with a demanding tone.

“Oh nothing, just a funny little joke of mine.” She’d continue the grin farther, but she knew one twitch and it was all over. She just needed a little more time, her eyes were begging for relief and hospital assistance. It was just her, her sister, the ref, and the pony running the betting table remaining.

While they hadn’t been as vigilant in keeping awake, let alone partaking in turning their eyeballs into dust, they had at least remained loyal to the cause. The constant cycle of the servants coming in and giving a disapproving glare that said, “are they still going at it?" wasn't helping Celestia's morale.

The beam of light trailing the floor was soon approaching the target.

“Hey… Luna,” she spoke softly and conservatively.

“It’s Nightstare Moon.”

“What’s duller than the sun, more reflective than the moon, and can easily defeat a power hungry alicorn?” she asked, almost wheezed out due to exhaustion.

“What is the purpose of this question?”

It suddenly occurred to her that her sister was planning something to defeat her. Darting her eyes across every inch of the room, she searched feverishly for the something in question. The ref allowed her to move about the room so long as she could keep constant eye contact with his own. She ambled across and found an offending spoon on the floor that she never would have seen if she had kept her eyes at Celestia's gaze.

“Servants, how have you not found this lone piece of silverware sitting on the floor? Based on the smudge on its reflective surface, it’s been here for a few days. Remove it at once.”

Celestia winced in agony, forcing her left eye completely closed. To say it was anything less painful than absolute agony would have been a farce, but the thought of her plan being destroyed was just as mentally damaging.

“She has closed one eye Ms. Moon, do you desire to end the match?” spoke the referee.

“No, she can still participate with one open as long as the other remains completely shut.” The order was deemed fair by all parties, even princess Celestia, and so the match continued.

“Dearest sister, did you really think that a mere spoon would have been enough to finish me off? I’m insulted, I really am. Why don’t you just give up this fight?”

“Because… I’m not…” Her legs gave out underneath her and she fell to the floor, landing on her right side. Fortunately, she kept her eye lid from closing; however, the new reclined position was not favoring well on her eye’s strength, but her fatigue.

“Look at you now,” Nightstare moon mocked as she approached her fallen sister, “lying on the floor like a-”

Her jet black nose began to twitch involuntarily. “Like a-…a!!!”

“Sister, listen, you can end this madness… sneeze,” she said, practically begging.

“No! I shaaa-aaa!!!!”

She held a hoof to her nose, desperately trying to overcome her body’s natural function. Cautiously letting out steady streams of air through her nostrils, she alleviated herself from almost certain defeat. With a large sigh, she breathed out stress she didn’t know she was holding.

Celestia knew, by this point, that there wasn’t going to be any hope of a natural win. Her trump card had been played, Nightstare moon had avoided a sneeze, and she was alone. There was enough energy in her being for one final assault. It wasn’t going to be easy, but her time was limited. She predicted that her eyes could only sustain twenty more minutes before relapsing.

Picking herself up off of the floor, Celestia, though shaking and in writhing pain, began to step forward to the villain.

Annoying Author’s note: Ok, so, you know how I said that I had this entire story written? That was true when I posted the story… when I thought this wouldn’t gain any attention except for the select few people who I wrote it for. Needless to say, it’s expanded well beyond that so I’m going to re-write the conclusion and make it as epic as it should be. This will take a day or two because I am busy with outside priorities, so please be patient. In the meantime, feel free to speculate what our desperate little Celestia is going to do. Will she submit defeat? Will she force her sister’s eyes closed? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop!?

The world may never know.

P.S.

Seriously, why do you guys even like this story... it's badly written, even by my standards.