• Published 20th May 2012
  • 1,385 Views, 20 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Dashed Hopes - Ironwolves21



In the ruins of stalliongrad, can love Truly survive?

  • ...
3
 20
 1,385

Was this a good idea?

Dashed Hopes
Chapter 3

“I just met you, and this is crazy, but I'll hate you to the bitter end!”

I hate you. You're all a bunch of assholes and jerks. What? Oh I suppose I am getting ahead of myself. I found myself face first in a puddle of dirty water, the sound of somepony failing to contain their laughter rang in my now red ears. Wait, fuck, not far enough. Right! I was facing the newest addition to my group, Iron Venture, In the side room of the building we were in. We had just murdered an entire gang of raiders, I had... Actually killed somepony.

“So you're with me? I mean... us?”

Why did talking to bucks have to be so damn hard? I had done it earlier, why couldn't life just give me a break?

“Well, Yea, I did call you glorious leader. Didn't think that left much room for deviation.”

He had turned his back on me, and was rummaging through the dead ponies things. The room looked like it hadn't been touched in 200 years.
I certainly felt silly, I could almost hear somepony laughing at me from somewhere.

“Uhmm, I kinda..hehe”

I was floundering, I didn't know what to do! I didn't even know what direction Stallionhoof or what ever its name was WAS! I wasn't used to being a leader, Since when had I been one?!
Riot had turned back to me after shoving several small metallic objects into his coat pockets with a look of amusement on his face.

“ Why don't we head downstairs and get some rest?”

Hey that's a good idea! I suddenly became aware of how tired and worn down I was. It had been only, what? 2 hours since I had left Thunderhead? Since then I'd been chased through a decaying restaurant, shot twice, had my ribs broken and been punched in the face pretty damn hard by the piss yellow raider. Holding that on top of my lack of a good night’s sleep and my run-in with Black Rain... Holy shit I need to lie down!

The world began to spin slightly, my eye lids felt heavy and grainy. Naturally, I had just realized that I was in fact, Inside a very small room, with a buck I hardly knew and a dead pony. I felt my throat contract and my breathing get heavy and laboured. Riot had been saying something, but had stopped when he saw the sudden change in my demeanour. I still couldn't hear anything, he was waving his shaggy grey hoof in front of my face, his mouth moving, but no words were forming. The world slipped away as the familiar blackness greeted me. Again. I hate being claustrophobic. SO MUCH.



I was in a hallway, the floor was covered in a spinning fog and the walls seemed to pull and heave back and forth with my own breathing. I hated this place, I had been met with it every time I closed my eyes to sleep. It was a world entirely of my own making, yet it was something I could never think of.

I squeezed my eyes shut and sent my shaking hoof forward into the mist.

Upon my hoof meeting the hardwood, I heard the slamming of what sounded like thousands of doors, and it was getting closer! I spun around to see large steel shutters slamming down into the hallway, crushing the hardwood floor as it progressed steadily towards me. I need to get the fuck out of here!! I began galloping through the hallway, the doors slamming down behind me. Off in the distance I heard voices, some I thought I knew, and others I had never known before, but above all I heard the sound of a tinny metallic voice getting louder as I ran forward to avoid being crushed.

There was a great 'BANG' from behind me that lifted me from my hooves and onto the floor. The world went dark for a split second before my eyes shot open again. I looked back to see the final door, large and ominous, barely a hoof from where I laid. It was massive, a deep red in colour and most likely comprised of thick steel. But something was drawing me away from the door, and further down the hallway. The hallway was now comprised of slate grey concrete and pale red emergency lights. I felt my hooves move against my better judgement as the depths called me forward.

The klaxons wail grew louder as I ventured forth, The voice becoming clear and ominous.

'-Containment zone breached, Warning: Containment zone breached,Initiate Protocol LST:68a1 Warning-'

The mare’s voice over the intercom was a recording, It showed no emotion, gave no more warning than the message it carried. I heard the sound of combat coming from further in, accompanied by a deeper klaxon and yellow warning lights. The hallway opened into a large cave, but its borders were shrouded by the thick fog. I pushed forward, hoping to find an end to this dream. What I found only brought me curiosity and worry. A massive metal cog door was against the far wall, It was open half way, the sound of fighting was intense from beyond it. I paused before I entered, considering how some of my other dreams had turned out, it was well deserved. The cog door had a big yellow 'Five' emblazoned in the middle, and I could actually see a full room beyond the door itself, no fog to be seen.

I felt a chill as I crossed the threshold of the massive door, the sounds and fighting all but silent in a split second. I saw blurry nondescript bodies littering the room, but no blood from what I could see. The floor was cold and hard on my hooves, and all the doors leading out of the room were locked... all but one, which hung buckled and smashed against the wall on-top another pile of bodies. I smelt burning ozone, roasting flesh and fear. I became aware of the whispers just then, they came from the bodies, from the walls, from the intercom and my own mouth.

Just out of the corner of my eyes, I saw movement, the swish of a purple and white tail disappear past an open door. TRUEHEART. It was my sister! I knew it, No other pony in all of thunderhead had her mane and tail! I galloped through the hallway towards the door she had disappeared into, only to find myself falling to the ground just past the door.

Falling. Again.

My eyes opened to the swirling grey fog, I was in a big, atrium like room, but I wasn't alone.
Swirling grey fog took the shape of ponies, fighting and killing each other in furious hoof to hoof combat. I brought myself to bear, only to be shoved back to the hard floor, A squat buck was hovering over me, with a gun barrel pointed at my face.

“Tell me, why do you fight? You always lose, you always die, why fight? Why fight us? Just let us in.”

The swirling fog figures had disappeared, but the buck above me stayed put, his voice barely a whisper, but it fell like a sledgehammer on my ears, it felt like hundreds of ponies screaming and yelling, whimpering and crying his questions at me.

“I don't know! What are you and why won't you leave me ALONE!?”

“Much as how you cannot escape us, Fate has marked you, we must be rid of those like-”

The hammer of the gun clicked back as a tall grey stallion slammed into my attacker, his head ablaze with fire. He roared at the fog buck, a large firearm floating next to him was cocked as the fog became choking and thick. I shut my eyes as the bucks fired.

I could hear the shells bounce off the ground as the fog convulsed and shrieked, The fiery buck went down hard with a gout of fire pouring from his chest. Swirling blue eyes met my own as a revolver skittered across the concrete to my hooves. I looked up from the weapon to find the fiery buck gone, and the revolver pressed against my forehead, The hammer cocked back and a shot roared through the foggy room.










I bolted upwards in my bedding, cold sweat matting my soft coat.

“What the shit. Why?”

I rubbed my eyes with my fore-hoof, cleaning out most of the remaining sleep. I stood with a yawn, stretching my legs and limbering up for yet another day at work. What a crazy dream! First a bunch of killing, then hallucinations, then... Trueheart. I need to get to work. I fumbled for my bathroom door, only to find it wasn't there. I realized that I wasn't in my apartment anymore. OH SHIT. What happened!? Where am I!?

Before I could start assuming the worst I heard voices from another room, both of the male gender. Everything came back in a flood of memories and feelings. I had been shot, beaten, I had killed a buck. But the most disturbing thing was the fact that i didn't feel... bad. The shock of killing that buck had past quickly, He had been a horrible pony, one who had killed others in spite. He had deserved to die.

“Since when do you make decisions like that Dew? You aren't a killer, you're pathetic!”

I was berating myself again. All this sitting around and thinking was getting old, time to investigate those voices! What? You aren't even gonna wash up first?


Little voice needs to be quiet.

That dream hadn't been the usual, where I was tortured, interrogated and raped continually until my alarm clock woke me up. This one felt... strange, foreboding almost. I found my way to the fillies room while trying to decipher the dream. And find the only mirror that wasn't shattered or covered in... stuff. Upon finding the only semi-intact mirror, I found my mane was a mess, but other than being slightly dirtier than usual, I was still good looking!

I chuckling to myself as I straightened out my mane and shook my wings out. My wings were cramped, I had probably slept on one funny, needed to stretch them properly soon. Trotting back to my makeshift room, I heard the voices again, It was Riot and Saw, but I couldn't make out what they were talking about. Wait, is that music? Soft instrumental music drifted through the decrepit building, I found it soothing, it definitely didn't fit in to the background of death and decay. I found myself laying on my bedding, (It wasn't mine, Didn't know where it came from) relaxed, listening to the music, letting it wash over me.

I lifted myself up as the music changed beat and voices joined the melody. Arching my back and stretching my wings, I felt soothing relief as I straightened out. The music was louder now, almost on top of me! Whirling around, I came face to face with Riot.

“GAAAHH!”

I fell to my rump from the surprise, Riot failed to hide his smile at my misfortune. Riot you attractive jerk! Help me up! Riot trotted over and grasped one of my legs, lifting me up to my hooves. The music seemed to be coming from the metal device anchored on his left fore-hoof.

“Erm.. Thanks?”

“Don't mention it lass, Sorry for the shock, was jus' checkin on you.”

There was a pregnant pause, Checking on me? Why would he need to-
'
“ You gave us quite a scare up there. Care to explain what happened?”

RIGHT. I had suddenly realized that I was inside a small room and had passed out from accumulated stress and my claustrophobia.

“ I, uh, fell down?”

“You up and passed out lass! You're lucky I caught you or you might have hurt yourself! Then you started talking and movin' in your sleep.”

There was that look again. The look that said 'I know exactly whats going on, I just want to hear you say it.' His blue eyes weren't making it easy to resist either, If only he weren't so damn attractive and non-rape-isty this would be so much easier! I looked at my hooves for support, while trying to mutter an easy explanation.

“Dew? Hey-”

His hoof met my chin, bringing up my eyes, which had been looking everywhere but his face.
Wait holy, He was touching me! Oh...

“You alright? You look like you're runnin a fever.”

Of course I'm fucking blushing now, It's not like I was trying to be stealthy about this crush!

“I'm Fine, just a rough sleep.”

“Alright, I can understand that. Now, Why don't you go talk to your friend Saw, I'm gonna roll up me bedroll, need to get going soon.”

“Wait that was your bedding?”

“Eeyup, You didn't have any of your own, figured that you needed it more than I did.”

Wow, that was actually... well, nice! But he did have a point, I should talk to Saw. Where my wings sticking out? DAMN IT ALL. Stupid biology and attraction shit making my life awkward.
Riot had already side stepped me and was rolling up his bedding via the horn on his head, His long, grey-NO! NONONO! SAW! GO TALK TO SAW!

I dragged myself out of the door and towards the main room. Saw was sitting by a small fire, his small pack and tool box beside him. He looked up when I entered, but soon looked back at the fire, a semi-large piece of paper was laid out in-front of him, It looked like a map.

“Y'all took your sweet ass time getting up.”

“Well good morning to you too feather-brain! Save the world while I was out?”

Saw smirked at my comment, glancing down at the paper, which was definitely a map.

“Nah, jus' figurin how to get your little butt down to Stalliongrad, without gettin us all killed in the pro-cess.”

Riot entered the room, his bedding rolled up and anchored to his top pack. He cut me off before I could say anything.

“We can't go through the Flatlands, It'd be suicide without an armoured 'Vee.”

A what? What the hell is a VEE? How would-

“ Agreed, Since y'all can't fly, we can't go over the black mountains, but we could always try these marshes over-”

“FUCK NO, I like me arse the way It is thank you very much, even fliers avoid that area entirely, fuckers got net launchers. The only viable way is up the main road from the Hoof, then following the Long 76 for thirty miles, then walking through till we hit New Neighcarrion. Then we're walkin to Serenity station, from there, hopefully hitch a ride to Horseshen station. Then we'll be In Stalliongrad proper. Whatever good that'll be worth.”

Riot exhaled a deep breath after tracing his route to us on the map. It seemed like It would be a very long trek, even if we were all flying, which we weren't.

“What bout' tradin', We'll need supplies if we's gonna take on the Long 76.”

Riot seemed to to mull this over, I was staying quiet, It was fascinating to watch the two of them work together, I felt privileged to see two smart ponies work together like this!

“ I assume ya don't have much in the way of caps. I can lend the lass some of my back-up barding, It ain't much more than decent clothing, but it's better than nothing. But for anything more, we'll have to either scavenge or try and take some odd jobs at Carrion when we arrive.”

I felt lost now.

“I'm sorry, Caps? As in bottle caps?”


Saw sent a look over that told me to shut it, but I wasn't having any of it.

“You ponies use bottle caps as currency? Thats-Thats stupid! Thunderhead uses E-bills, I don't understand why you can't either!”

Saw was cradling his head in his fore-hooves twitching and convulsing, Riot had a strange look on his face, or he did until he burst into laughter along with Saw. Haha.

They laughed for five minutes, It was ridiculous! This isn't a laughing matter, it’s idiotic!
Of course I kept that bit of info to myself, lest I send them over the edge again. Riot was the first to regain his composure, shaking his blonde and red mane around trying to focus. I wasn't having any of it.

“ No seriously why-”

“Lass, trust me, it's just the way it is! Caps are as good as gold here, make enough to feed you and your own, you're sitting fat.”

“That doesn't make any sense what you said just there Riot.”

Riot sent me another blue eyed look

“Dew, Ponies have traded with caps for almost a hundred years now, It's the only thing that we could use for currency from the old world, all the gold for bits was used up or lost when the bombs fell, that and bits weigh too much now. And caps are pretty!”

Riot had an insanely stupid grin on his mug when Saw stepped in.

“ I like the noise they make!”

“ Oh joy, my only friend has gone insane. That's not even taking you into consideration mister!”

I glared at Riot, who only started laughing at my attempts to retain my sanity. Saw soon joined him as I grunted in defeat and trotted out of the room into the open air.

The stale air greeted me as I stepped out the buckled door. Spreading my wings out to their full width, I felt the wind rustle my feathers as I pulsed my wings downward and lifted into the sky. Circling the area, I surveyed my surroundings. The area know as Hoofington was poisoned and bleak, always a splayed grey or brown. The Hoofington Core consisted of tall black, broken towers whose base seemed to be glowing an ominous green. Circling around I came to rest on top of the restaurant.

My eyes were fixed on the cloud curtain, which gave the Enclave both the food and protection it needed to survive. I had always been above the cloud layer, with clear skies above me almost all the time, for the sky to be so bleak... I started to understand why ground ponies were so violent and mean. Everything was grey and dead, couldn't blame them. Off in the distance near an obsidian black mountain, there was the hard 'Crump' of explosives as a fireball licked the clouds.

“I sure would hate to be the reason that was set off for.”

I could hear the soft chatter of weapons in the distance, It seemed like the entire city was alive, yet rotting and decrepit. It chattered and roared, its cells dying for nothing.

“Almost peaceful ain't it?”

“HO SHIT!”

My peaceful consideration had been horribly interrupted by Riot.

“How did you even get up here!?”

My breathing was heavy, and my heart was up behind my eyes, during my fly over, I hadn't seen any way onto the roof, how the hell had he gotten up here so damn quietly?
Riot chuckled at my confusion, I could here a loud crash from below as Riot walked over to a crippled air conditioning unit, resting his side against its rusted metal.

“Lass, sometimes you need to blaze your own trails.”

“ What do you mean?”

“We need to get going, we want to be on the road by mid-day.”

I turned my head to look over Hoofington once more, but when I turned back to look at Riot, he was gone.

Downstairs I could hear Saw fighting with something, probably an old radio, I didn't see Riot, but I assumed he was around here somewhere.

“Alright Saw, ready to go?”

The old buck glanced up from the scrapped radio, his belonging were bundled together next to him, but his tool box was open next to him.

“Eeyup, just bidding my time fixin' this here broken ass radio.”

“Then lets get going kids, don't want to keep The Grinder waiting.”

Riot had seemingly materialized out of nowhere, only to put forward another morbid, cryptic message. It was odd, It seemed like he went from light hearted to deadly serious in a matter of seconds. I figured it to be a ground pony thing. But one of his words had worried me.

“What do you mean by Grinder?”







Footnote: level up!
Level 4 reached:
Perk gained, Educated; All that time spent in the public school system may have rotted your brain, But at least you get this shiny new perk!

Science 30