• Published 20th May 2012
  • 1,554 Views, 22 Comments

Not All Is Set In Stone - Tails_155



A crystalline beast has risen from the below Equestria's soil and turned every older pony to crystal

  • ...
9
 22
 1,554

Biting Off More Than They Can Chew (Pt. 2)

Most of the day was fearful waiting. The group stared at each other, up the stairs to the small cracks of light from the outside, rationing out breakfast and lunch.

"S-should we go see if anypony else is okay?" Featherweight paces back and forth, waiting in vain for good news.

"Who else is there?" Spike turns, uncomfortable with the idea of wandering around.

"Well, it doesn't seem like any foals were turned to crystal. Maybe there's others out there?"

"Well, I'd hope they found groups of their own or something." Rumble grits his teeth, looking at the doorway.

"What if they didn't? What if they're scared, alone?" Featherweight asks. Dinky cringes at the thought.

"Anypony with half a brain would stay put and live off what they have."

"We didn't." Featherweight sighs.

"We were outside... well, most of us? You were all outside, right?"

"Uh..." Spike twiddles his fingers.

"Some of us went for help. I didn't know what happened anymore than any of you did." Featherweight responds, his teeth sticking out as he bites his lip in concerned.

"Well then, they would have tried to find somepony else."

"Well, nopony has found us... and... wait... The Cakes! They have little foals!" Everypony stares back and forth.

"They've been alone a whole day!"

"Quick... okay, okay..." Featherweight paces quicker. "Well... I mean, I can go and..."

"We've been over this. You stay here. It's the middle of the day. You're not--"

"I get it. I get it. I'm just worried."

"Spike and I will go. If they're not there, we'll just hope somepony found them. What.... what other choice do we have?"

"What if.... what if we all went as a group? We could... pull others away from the group." Featherweight turns to the others.

"Seems pointlessly dangerous."

"You have to carry two baby foals, and find any milk that they can drink, and anything else foals need. It's not a job for two."

"Well..."

"I think we need to try it."

Rumble sighs. "I guess we don't really have a choice."

"It's settled. We'll leave anything we don't totally need right here."

The small group heads out, empty saddlebags and timid hooves. Featherweight points in the direction of Sugarcube Corner. "Don't say anything unless it's absolutely necessary." Everypony nods.

They move slowly, peering around house edges. Eventually arriving at an intersection where several multicolored gem hyenas are sniffing around.

Featherweight turns to the crew. He whispers. "I'm going to fly up on the roof. When I point, you go. Don't wait too long. I don't know how long they'll stay turned around if they turn. Go one or two at a time. Don't get in each other's way."

"Dinky and Spike, you go first. I'll fly somepony across."

"Good idea." Featherweight nods and takes off for the roof.

He sits, waiting for the right moment. After what seems like hours, they turn away from the intersection and Featherweight gestures. The two run as fast as their legs can carry them. Rumble picks up Pipsqueak and flies up high, once he knows the hyenas aren't turning, he bolts across the path, taking Pipsqueak directly to Sugarcube Corner. "Stay here, I'll go back for the others. Hide behind the counter or something."

Rumble lifts off and soars back to where only a couple foals are left. He zooms across and lands beside Featherweight. "Are we good?" He whispers.

"Yeah, hold on a sec." Featherweight leans over and gestures to the last two.

They head across the intersection, and pass by. Featherweight sighs, and lifts off.

"I checked when I dropped Pipsqueak off, the rest of the coast is clear."

The two zoom across the pathway, landing beside the nervous crowd. "Let's go." They stay cautious, peeking around corners until they arrive at the restaurant. Featherweight leads the crew inside, and looks around. Pinkie Pie stands, front hooves in the air, beside a cake, untouched for a whole day, sitting on the table.

Featherweight gulps and the group files in. "P-Pipsqueak?"

"Nopony's here."

"Hmm... well... I-uh, I hope they're okay."

"Me, too--what was that?" Dinky scrambles out of the doorway, giving a soft squeal.

"Relax, relax. I'm... where have you guys been hiding? I'm... well... hello."

"Hi... We're... uh... we-we have a... basement. Do you guys have food?" Featherweight's concern overrides his awkwardness.

"Not... really... I mean Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake do...or will in a minute."

"Why don't you come in with us? We have a pretty big basement, and we have food for at least another day."

Spike turns to the unfamiliar filly. "I uh.. sorry, who are you?"

"My name is Spring Lily. I found the Cakes' foals, they've been so worried. We've gotten them calmed down, but they needed more food. I don't have anything to carry anything with."

"Why not go home and get your saddlebags?" Featherweight suggests.

"I'm from out of town. Mama had the hotel key."

"You seem strangely calm." Rumble stares, a bit jarred.

"I-uh... I help my Mama at a hospital, I'm kind of... used to-"

"Used to everypony turning to crystal?" Spike tilts his head to the side.

"Loss... I've been able to get over it pretty easy by now. I mean, don't get me wrong... I'm... well..." She bites her lip. "I uh, need to get some food. They're all waiting for me at the shelter."

"We'll go with you. We brought saddlebags. We can help."

"You sure? It's dangerous. Our shelter is kind of... out in the open, but none of us wanted to stay in the same house as somepony... stuck like that."

"We really should move you to the basement. Nopony is down there, and it's cellar doors, you don't see anypony. Promise."

"And you have space?"

"Definitely. Just you three?" Dinky gives a warm smile.

"Six. A heavyset colt, two uh... unicorns, me, and the foals."

"That's fine, we'll have space. Let's go. Show us the way." Featherweight nods.

They walk down the streets, cautiously peeking around corners once more, after a short trek, they find Snips and Snails and Truffle watching over a couple small foals, fidgeting and fussy.

"How have you been taking care of them crying?"

"Well, we've been in a cave, but it's so dark, so when the sun came up, we came out of the cave."

"A cave? Is it safe?" Dinky grits her teeth.

"So far..."

"You guys are coming with us. Come on, Snips, Snails, Truffle, get up here, get the foals."

"Rumble!"

"Shush, quiet down."

"You sure we're okay? You won't feel cramped?" Lily asks.

"Really, we'll be fine. Get your stuff. We have to get out of here. We can have some dinner."

Rumble flies up into the air.

"Where are you going?" Featherweight asks.

"I'm getting more food, lead them home."

"Don't forget a set of saddlebags."

"Food! We forgot the milk!" Lily sighs, shaking her head.

"Well, we'll have to make a detour, then. Here, Pipsqueak, you think you can get them back okay?"

"Sure thing, mate."

"Get everypony back. Lily and I will go and get milk."

"I'm coming, too." Dinky and Spike both speak up.

"What for?"

"There are no blankets." Spike insists. "These foals in that basement? It was kind of chilly last night."

"Yeah, and we can maybe grab some food. I uh, I don't think the Cakes would mind?"

"Here." Pipsqueak digs out the last of the change from his pocket. "Leave it on the counter. You'll feel better about it."

"Uh..."

"I did it before, too. It just felt wrong."

"F-fair enough." Featherweight shrugs.

"Let's get going before the sun sets. Be careful, guys."

"That should just be our motto." Pipsqueak chuckles, and leads the others back. The town's silence still sitting uneasy. The only sounds were rustling in the distance, and birds chirping.

After a relatively uneventful, but still tense in everypony's heart, trip back, they make it into the cellar. "Say, you guys got a nice place down here!"

"Snails, quiet down."

"Sorry. Just, well-"

"Set your stuff down and get comfy. We're waiting. If we don't hear from Rumble or Featherweight's group in an hour, I am heading out."

"I'll go with you." Shady Daze nods.

"Okay, so let's just wait here."

--------------------

Rumble zooms across the sky, hopping from cloud to cloud. He lands on top of a house and flies through the window. He heads downstairs where a bowl of cherries sat on the counter. "Score."

... You idiot! No saddlebags!

He wanders up and down the house looking for a bag. He finds one, eventually, and slaps his forehead. I can't believe I forgot bags.

He fills up the bag with cherries. He lifts off and heads up the stairs and out of the same window. His heart sinks. I don't know how I'll return this... I mean, yeah, it's a cloth bag, but... He flies back, and grabs the sheet off the bed in the room, tying the sheet to the weather vane. There.

He flies to another house, grabbing a couple lemons, and a few dozen sugar cookies. He stuffs some wilted daffodils in the bag, too. They may not be perfect, but, hey. He grabs a couple loaves of bread, and his bag is full. He swoops out the window, and immediately soars onto the roof, dodging a slash from a large, furious peridot cat. "Uh... um..." He flies up higher, sitting on a cloud, waiting. The creature hisses and roars, a couple of larger gemstone cougars stand below the cat, staring, one pacing.

--------------------

"Hurry, it's getting darker."

"I know where everything is. Do you have water?"

"A little."

"We'll have to get some bottles, or a jug if you can carry it... what's your name?"

"Featherweight, and... uh... how big of a jug?"

"Hmm. We'll figure something out."

"I can carry it." Spike nods.

"Here, keep an eye outside, Spike. We'll get the stuff."

"Why me?"

"If they come after you, you can eat them!" Dinky chuckles. Spike smirks, the idea tempts him.

"I uh... I can do that."

"Eat them, or watch out?"

"Whatever needs to be done." He laughs, and stands in the eatery, watching out the windows.

"Okay. Let's go."

Within a matter of moments, Lily has all the goods pulled out of drawers left open, and various things from the refrigerator. A couple of bottles clink, and she backs out of the refrigerator.

"Ready."

"Okay, so water, next?"

"Yeah."

"I'll get the blankets, now." Dinky hops up the stairs.

After a couple minutes she comes back with 3 blankets draped over her shoulder like a cape, and a pillow in her mouth. Featherweight, trading places with Spike, who is filling a water jug, smirks.

"We good?" Spike asks.

"Yeah, I'm ready."

Dinky nods, pillow still in her mouth.

"Okay, let's go."

The crew sneaks down the streets, the sky beginning to fade into a purple.

Tap, tap, tap. "It's us."

"Hey guys." Pipsqueak smiles, opening the door. "Seen Rumble?"

"You haven't?" Featherweight drops the pillow and flies off.

"Welp." Pipsqueak gives a grimace.

Spike turns off down the street.

"And where are you going?"

"Gems." He smiles, and picks at the wall of a nearby building, which has been distracting him for the last day. He picks at the wall and peels off some of the stone, licking his lips he takes a bite. His grin is immediately replaced by a frown. "Eeeyuck. These don't taste like regular gems at all." He mumbles, kicking the dirt as he returns to the cellar.

"What was that about?" Pipsqueak cocks his head to the side.

"They're gross. That's not any regular gem. It tastes... angry? Does that make any sense?"

"Well... No."

--------------------

Please, please, go away? Please?

"Rumble!"

"Featherweight!"

"Well, I see why you haven't made it back... Hmm. What to do? Ah. Idea. If they follow me, head home. If not, wait here."

"That probably isn't an issue. He stares down at the three cats, all staring up at him, now."

Featherweight flies off to his house, goes up to his room and grabs a pillow. Soaring back as quick as he can.

"Here, be ready, in case this works."

Featherweight swoops lower, holding the pillow, swinging it back and forth. He has the full attention of the creatures. He flies up higher and chucks the pillow down the road as far as he can.

"You uh, should have left that to me..."

"Meh, it's enough. Let's go." Featherweight shrugs, the felines chase after the new target, falling within reach. Within seconds the pillow is torn to pieces. Seconds was all they needed. The pair swoops to the top of a building with several peaks, and hides until they see the cats heading out of town.

"What all did you find?"

"Cherries, a few old daffodils, some lemons... I can't believe I forgot saddlebags."

"You made it work." Featherweight smiles.

"I think this is the most I've ever heard you talk."

"There's more important things. I-uh... I'm not really worried what everypony thinks when I'm worried if they'll be okay."

Rumble smiles and pats the fellow pegasus on the back.

"Let's get back."

After a short flight, they land beside the cellar door and tap again. "Found him."

"Rumble! You okay?" Dinky looks to him. "You look alright. Did you get lost?"

"No, but some uh... those things tried to get me, and wouldn't go away. Sorry I didn't get more."

Featherweight nudges him. "Hey, you got something, and it's not like you were goofing around."

"They followed me, even when I pushed the cloud."

"Nopony is upset. You did a good job." Featherweight smiles a toothy smile. Rumble returns the smile with a small grin of his own.

"How are the foals?"

"Fine as can be. They have even laughed a bit since we got here." Lily gives a relieved smile of her own.

"Good, let's have some dinner, and get some rest."