• Published 2nd Jun 2015
  • 5,142 Views, 193 Comments

The great Laharl - The tale of a displaced Overlord - Hoppa_21



I am Laharl and I am stuck in a museum in Canterlot…as a statue. Fully conscious to endure the mockery of these pony abominations. But I’m not imprisoned anymore. I managed to break out and the two sisters will soon pay for their foolishness!

  • ...
35
 193
 5,142

Investigating A Strange Filly

Author's Note:

Small changes are small. I only needed to correct the content of one sentence. Oh, and I found some typos, while I was at it. So not really rereadworthy changes here.

I'm currently working on the next chapter. I try to get it out this month, but no promises! :pinkiesmile:

Things went downhill pretty fast. I mean, here I was hunched down by the banister and spying on the mad marshmallow!

“Just what secrets do you hold?” I murmured out, as I watched her from my investigation spot.

She was currently chatting away with the chicken and the bowgirl in the foyer, an apologetic expression on her face.

“Yeah. I hope you feel sorry, for deceiving me like that. Acting like you were a pony abomination, even though you are not,” I took a contemplative pose. “Just what are you?”


A few hours ago

“I’m your bride,” said the marshmallow as she smirked at me.

I was simply dumbfounded and moved my cursor over her again, in hope that my eyes were just playing tricks on me, but they didn’t.

Level 32

“This doesn’t make any sense!” I screamed frustrated, holding my head tightly in both my hands. “This is as worse as the time the royal butts cheated with those gems!”

Well, maybe not as worse, but it came pretty close.

“It’s your turn,” she said amused. “Draw.”

I ignored her words and contemplated my situation. I couldn’t win this and I knew it. This could only end with my loss. There was only one thing I could do.

“…I surrender. You win.”

Her face lit up at that, as the eerie words ‘Game Over’ loomed over the stage.

Game Over indeed.

I couldn’t win, so I at least planned on keeping my health points. And I could still sneak out afterwards to level up and kick her ass later, once I have dealt with the royal butts and freed my companion. So not a real loss then. Especially since I can’t lose my ‘Overlord’ title to ponies, only to demons.

Everything returned to normal and a small smile formed on my face, as I planned my revenge. Taking down some low-level animals would be a good start.

I glanced over at the marshmallow as she smiled at me.

Let her smile, I thought, The tables will turn in time.

Suddenly a familiar tune reached my ears.

A text box opened and what stood there drained the blood from my face as I paled.

‘Sweetie’s title has changed to [Overlord]!!’

I stood there dumbfounded, staring at her in horror.

“Oh! That is quite delightful!” she squeaked.

“You are not a pony,” I blabbered out, with confusion and a hint of fear in my eyes.

“What are you talking about?” She giggled, acting like she didn’t know what I meant.

“Ponies can’t wear demon titles!” I shouted frustrated.

“Oh? Then I’m probably the first. Maybe it is because we are bonded to each other by the power of true love!” she fancied.

Just those words made me feel sick to my stomach and I gritted my teeth in disgust and frustration.

She can’t be serious! What is she planning?


I excused myself shortly after, saying that I wanted to take a break upstairs. She wasn’t that inclined to the idea, but after the doorbell rang, she had another situation to attend to. I was keeping a low profile, because of the unknown visitor, but soon the doorbell rang again and announced its departure. Until then things were rather silent. Well, until five minutes ago. That was then her friends stormed in.

I proceeded to think about my situation. I knew, that I needed to investigate this strange filly and find out what game she is playing.

And I sure as hell won’t leave this place without my title.

But to beat her, I had to understand her and her powers.

“Are you a spawn between one of my old demon generals and a pony?” I mumbled out reminiscing one particular demon. A master thief and master of deception. A Succubus at heart. I was always wary of her, since I expected her to backstab me every minute of my life.

“But why did you not earn my title on the first encounter then?”

I then saw her open a menu as she showed off her title to her friends. No pony could do that.

Her friends stared in awe, excitement clearly written on their faces. Especially the chicken.

“How are you doing that!?”

“That’s the question, where I seek the answer myself, chicken.”

Seriously, how does she do that!

“I can do that since our fight. It is like I have all the knowledge of his magic absorbed.”

I cocked an eyebrow at that.

Did my magic influence her? Did I myself create this problem?

I shook my head. Ridiculous. My magic never influenced another pony before without my consent, so why should it change now?

“She is taking me for a fool. Where is no way in hell she is telling the truth,” I narrowed my eyes, “I’m not falling for your tricks marshmallow.”

“What are you doing there, Charming?”

I jumped at this and turned around. Rarity was standing directly in front of me now, an unamused look on her face.

“Nothing!”

“Oh, is that so?” she said a sly smile on her face. She then proceeded to grab my arm and dragged me along. “Why don’t you just join these three then? I’m sure Sweetie would appreciate it.”

She ignored my protest, as she dragged me to the group of three. Probably a petty try to avenge my earlier payback.

Sweetie was the first of the three to speak up.

“Sis, are you feeling better now?”

“I do. I was taking a refreshing bubblebath after I took care of the…filth. I’m feeling quite refreshed now! I think I needed that.”

She then dragged me directly to her side. I tried to hide behind her, not wanting to confront the marshmallow so fast.

“But let’s get to another topic, dear. I think Charming here needs some company. And since he hasn’t gotten his cutie mark yet, he could participate in your activities.”

Sweetie’s eyes sparkled, while I tried to avoid any eye contact.

“This is a wonderful idea!” she squeaked out.

Maybe I should call her rubber duck? Would also be a fitting name. But that shouldn’t be my concern now. I had other problems.

“Ah don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

“Yeah. I wouldn’t want to have anything to do with this thing.”

I shot her a glare. “Me neither with you, chicken.”

“What did you call me?”

Her glare intensified, as she butted her head with me. The pure hatred in both of our eyes.

And then the doorbell rang.

Both of us glared at the one who dared to interrupt us.

A pale yellow pegasus shrunk back under our stares and while the chicken abandoned her glare relatively fast after spotting her, I held onto it. Can’t just let her interrupt me after all.

I then felt fingers closing around my ear and dragging on it and Rarity shot me a disapproving look.

“You have to excuse him, dear. I haven’t gotten any time to teach him some proper manners yet.”

The pegasus immediately stood up from her slightly crouching position, with a small smile on her face.

“Oh, it’s alright. He had a bad day and I understand that he lost control there for a moment.”

“I’m glad you take it with stride. I’m telling you, it is not easy to care for him and it has only been a day! He is so…uncouth.”

“I’m standing right here, you know?”

“You shouldn’t worry too much about it,” answered the pegasus, as I was downright ignored by the two grown mares. What do they take me for!? A child!?

...

Yeah, my height probably doesn’t help matters.

She then took a basket in her hand, which was standing on the ground and walked over to Rarity. She then took off the blanket of it, to reveal grumpy cat in it. After taking this thing out, they continued their conversation.

“Opalescence! I completely forgot about her! How did you get her?”

“Sweetie Belle let me in. She said, that you were, um…occupied.”

“Yes, that is quite alright. I had an accident in the bath and needed to clean up.”

Her gaze locked then on the cat. “Oh, she looks great. I just don’t understand how you are able to do it.” She then leaned down to the cat. “I can’t get near her, without getting a swipe from her claws.” And of course, as if demonstrating the truth of that statement, the cat swiped at her with her claws, only missing her by inches.

Man, that is a mean kitten.

In the meantime, Rarity got a worried expression.

“Did you use the stare on her?”

The pegasus was slightly appalled by this.

“Oh no. I wouldn’t. I couldn’t. I don’t really have control over it when it happens. It just happens. No, I’m just good with animals. It’s my special gift you know.”

It seems like this gave the marshmallow some form of enlightment.

“Hey! Maybe we can get our cutie marks for being animal caretakers!”

Chicken and bowgirl seemed to like the idea, as they all together shouted:

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS ANIMAL CARETAKERS!!! YAY!!!!”

I only rubbed my ears at this, in an attempt to mend them after this verbal attack. And here I thought only Rarity possessed such a high volume.

Then the marshmallow nudged me.

“This was your cue too.”

I only raised an eyebrow.

“You need to shout too, since you are a cutie mark crusader now.”

Before I could voice my confusion to this whole cutie mark shebang, the chicken immediately began to protest.

“Hold on a second, since when did any of us agree to this?”

“He is my fiancé and won’t leave my side, so that it is obvious, that he has to join!”

“That is just ridiculous. Can he even get a cutie mark?”

I just rolled my eyes at their discussion, not wanting to be any part of it. There are situations a man comes into, where he knows from the beginning that he doesn’t want to be a part of it, even if he doesn’t understand them, just so you understand my reaction. Instead I took my time to see what the other two mares were up to.

They seemed to have recovered from the shouting and were now having a conversation of her own.

And suddenly Rarity’s face formed into a frown, before she paced through the room. She blabbered something about an order, while levitating some of the material through the room.

“-not even giving him a chance!”

Meanwhile the argument between those fillies seemed to get more intense.

“Him! A chance! You can’t be serious! He is ahmmmm-“

And suddenly Sweetie’s hand found her way in Scootalo’s mouth, cutting her off, before she could end that sentence.

Sweetie whispered sharply. “Do you want to ruin this for me!? What do you think Rarity would do, if she knew he wasn’t a pony!?”

Chicken sighed. “Yeah, you are right. But I still am against him joining us.”

“Give him at least a chance. He is still adjusting after being…passive for so long. How about we let him participate in our sleepover! So you two can get to know each other better.”

I let out a snort at that, which was thankfully unheard by the fillies.

Right, like she herself already knew me. She doesn’t even know my name!

Rarity suddenly took steps toward us. Her ears perked up at the mention of the sleepover.

“Oh, I already forgot your sleepover!” She sighed. “I’m going to be honest girls, I have an important order, which I couldn’t work on due to the care, young Charming needed here. And now I’m going to work all night, which means, I’m afraid that I have to cancel your sleepover.”

“WHAT!?” squeaked the marshmallow aghast.

“I just don’t have any time to watch you, if I want to get those robes done in time.”

“But-“

“No buts this time. I’m sorry Sweetie Belle. It’s just the way it has to be.”

The three of them groaned in disappointment, while I cheered on the inside. Personally I preferred not to spend more time than necessary with the annoying chicken.

“I, uh, I suppose I could take them for the night.”

My inner cheers were silenced by this and I started to glare daggers at the pegasus again.

She shrunk back and I smirked, but felt a magic aura soon appear on my ears and drag me to the side. Rarity shot me one of her disapproving looks again and I just turned away from her in silent protest.

“Please go on, darling.”

“I said, that I could take care of them for the night.”

The fillies eyes started to show a ray of hope, as they started to smile. The whole conversation on, they were turning their heads from right to left, always in the direction of the current speaker in a comical way.

“I couldn’t ask you to do that.”

“Oh, it’s no problem at all.” An aura full of confidence surrounded her and I wondered, how this wimp could even pull it off. She did seem like the type of pony who would only hide underneath her bed and clearly not the one to show confidence.

“Have you met my sister and her friends? A problem is all it would be.”

“Did I have a problem with Opal? You have seen how well I handle small creatures!”

“I suppose that’s true and I do have a lot of work to do.”

“Come on, it will be fine.”

“I assure you they are quite a handful.”

“These sweet little angels?”

They started to look as innocent as possible, as if to convince them of their harmlessness, but I knew better. They were devils and you had to be a real nitwit, not to see it.

“Alright.”

And apparently these both were such nitwits.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS SLEEPOVER AT FLUTTERSHY’S COTTAGE!!! YAY!!!!”

I only rubbed my ears at this.

“Seriously?” I asked, but this question was unheard, as they quickly packed for the upcoming sleepover.