• Published 1st Jun 2015
  • 1,231 Views, 7 Comments

Lost Shadows - Number Line



A strange creature is forced from its safety. But there's something off about it. This particular creature knows a little too much about a certain topic to simply be lost.

  • ...
3
 7
 1,231

Chapter 3

The next morning, Twilight was up and about going through her books trying to find anything on her new ‘guest.’ Book after book, the only thing that came close, barely, was a reference to primates. But even she knew that it wasn't that. Frustrated, she decided to take a break and headed to Spike’s room. A message had to be sent right away. Fearing he was still asleep, she knocked. On the other side, she heard a grumble and a snort. She knocked harder.

“Okay, okay. I’m up.” He opened the door rubbing the sleep from his eyes. “What?”

“Well good morning to you too Mr. Grumpy Scales.” She teased.

“It’s Saturday. You know I like to sleep in on the weekend.” He yawned.

“I’m sorry Spike, but I need you to send a letter to the princess. It’s urgent.” She explained.

“Urgent as in magic-kindergarten urgent or banished urgent or locked in a dungeon where you were banished urgent or…” he stopped when he saw her glaring. “Right, urgent.” He said taking out a quill and paper.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Recently we have had trouble with timberwolves attacking ponies that are traveling though the Everfree Forest. And most recently, some of those attacks were near town. Yesterday evening, Applebloom and her friends encountered one, but they also encountered another being. I have no clue what it is but apparently it was responsible for saving them. There is another account where an unknown creature rescued another pony. I believe it is the same creature.

I have looked through my books and found nothing resembling it. I thought it best if you could help determine what it is by taking time out of your schedule. I’m sorry if this is an inconvenience, but the fact that it was able to fend off a timberwolf on its own troubles me. I don’t know if its friend or foe. I have the creature tied up in the dungeons and…

“Wait. This thing is here?” Spike interrupted.

“Spike! What have I told you about being focus?”

“Okay. Sorry. Just worried is all.”

And will wait for your arrival to determine what to do next. Please Princess, I need your help.

Yours respectfully,
Princess Twilight Sparkle

“Send it.”


Down in the dungeons, the tied biped was also awake trying to free itself.

Well, I’ll give him this. He knows how to tie a knot

It was later on in the day when he had given up. Passing the time, he just laid there, counting the seconds, literally. Then he went to whistling.

He was stopped by the sound of a heavy door being opened. He wiggled over to the bars and saw two ponies approach. Each was wearing golden armor and both were white pegasi.

The cavalry has arrived.’ He joked in his mind.

They opened the cell and one threw him on the other’s back.

Oh come on! Another ride? Where are we going now?

They went up the stairs and through multiple doors until they arrived in what appeared to be the throne room. The intense light was too much compared to the dim dungeons.

“Your highness, here is the…thing.” The guard carrying him said and threw him off. The tied up biped landed with a hard thud.

Thank you.’ He spat to himself.

Once his eyes were adjusted, he looked around and saw the same ponies from yesterday, minus the big red one, and the three fillies, but there were a couple of new faces. First off, there were more guards in here, a variety of gold, black, and some shiny armor, and then he noticed three more unicorn/pegasus hybrids. These ones were taller than most ponies. The white one was probably taller than him.

Well I’ll be bucked.’

“So this is the unidentified creature, hmm? He doesn’t look so bad.” The dark blue hybrid with blue flowing hair said.

“You say that now, but think of what this thing could do when it’s free. It’ll probably kill us all!” A golden armored guard said.

“Lieutenant. That’s quite enough.” The white hybrid said.

I don’t doubt him.’

“Release him.”

Come again?

“But, Princess…” Twilight began.

“Now, now, Twilight. How can we learn of our new guest with him in binds?” she gave a nod and two guard ponies, one to hold him down, and the other to cut the rope, approached.

Once freed, the biped remained laying and covered his head.

“What’s wrong with it?” The pink hybrid asked.

“Give it jab.” The lieutenant ordered.

One pony inched closer and gently tapped it on the side. But this caused the creature to jolt right up. At full height, everypony backed up and stared in awe.

“Easy now, don’t do anything stupid.” One guard warned, spear pointed right at him.

The tension was so high; it was like bringing a match into a gunpowder store. One wrong move then it was over for every…

“Fluttershy! What are you doing?”

The tall creature turned in the direction of the voice and saw the same yellow pegasus from yesterday getting closer.

“I-Its okay. Remember me?” she said gently. “Shh…nopony’s going to hurt you.”

No matter how much it bothered him, something about this mare calmed him. He dropped his arms, not noticing he had them up.

“There, see. It’s alright.” She was standing in front of him now.

“Impressive.”

“So it’s not hostile.” Shining Armor said.

The biped turned to him and simply shook his head. Everypony in the room gasped.

“You can understand us!?” Twilight asked.

Being careful of his next move, he slowly gave a nod. Now, you might say that Twilight being beyond ecstatic was an understatement, and you'd probably be right.

“OH MY GOSH! I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!” she zoomed next to Fluttershy, almost knocking her over. “What are you? Where did you come from? What’s your name? Do you have a name? What’s your favorite food? What’s one plus one?...”

“Twilight.” Luna said.

“How many more of you are there? Are you male or female?...”

“Twilight!” Rainbow called out.

“Why are you wearing rags? Do you have a special talent? How many hooves am I holding up?”

“TWILIGHT!”

This surprised the purple alicorn because everypony in the room had said it. She looked back to the creature and saw him standing behind Fluttershy for protection.

She gave a nervous chuckle, “Sorry.”

“Now that that’s done with, I would like to ask a few of my own questions.” Celestia declared causing the creature to put Fluttershy between him and the regal princess. She merely chuckled. “It’s quite alright, I will not bombard you.” This cause Twilight to blush. “Now, is it true that you rescued three fillies yesterday?"

It gave a nod.

“So there was a timberwolf?”

Another nod.

“Curious, going up against a beast like that would’ve left injuries, wouldn’t it?”

Now here was where he was stumped. He simple held out his arm to show where the gashes were, but there was none to be seen.

“But, there were cuts, deep cuts there last night. I touched one and you went crazy.” Twilight stared in confusion.

“Didn’t you say there was no blood Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah, none at all. The gash was fresh yet nothing. Now it looks like nothing even happened. Just a few scars.” She used her magic thinking she would be able to move his arm around, but…

“My magic! It’s not working on it.”

Normally this didn’t bother him. He never had any interaction with unicorn magic, at least not that he remembers. But this put everypony else into a frenzy. Guards gathered around the princesses and most held up their weapons. All the while, he just stood there confused. Even Fluttershy backed up.

“But you represent magic! How can it not be working?” Rainbow asked from behind a wall of guards.

“Your majesty,” Lieutenant Shard began, “this only adds to its threat level. I say we put shackles on it.”

“Shackles?” Luna begged the question, “Sister, it’s able to understand us. And so far, it has not caused any problems.”

Oh yeah, it’s not like I’m here right now.’

“I don’t want to risk it.” Shard countered.

“Luna, the fact that it was able to face a timberwolf, with no injuries, and that magic does not affect it, not even ours,” she said trying to use a simple spell on it, “grants that he is more dangerous than we thought.”

“But…”

“Captain Armor…restrain it.” Celestia hesitated.

The cluster of guard moved in slowly along with Shining, who had a pair of shackles in his magic.

“Easy, if you can understand us, just let us put these on.” He said.

The circle of guards was closing in along with the sharp points of spears.

Okay, I’ll wear them, if it’ll calm you down.’

He reached out an arm to take the shackles, but as he raised it, a jumpy guard flinched and stabbed right through his hand. With a powerful jerk, he pulled back his hand so hard that another spear that got too close from behind pierced his arm.

In a flash, he pupils shrank and he froze for a while. The guards stopped their advance and carefully watched the stone like creature.

“Is it okay?”

There was a long pause and then like lightening, he reached out and stole a spear.

“Look out!”

The guards flung towards him, but using the spear as if trained already, he fought back. Carefully striking them blows that sent them across the room. One after another, the guards were beaten. The skill the biped had with the weapon was terrifying.

“Shining!”

The rampaging biped turned to see the unicorn captain with a sword in his magical grip. Both charged the other. Shining gave a quick swing, but the biped dodged it and swung the spear like a baseball bat behind Shining’s head knocking off his helmet. Dazed, Shining shook it off and charged again. But the biped had an advantage, he simply used the spear to knock the sword off balance and ram his body into his attacker, knocking him on his back. Shining looked up and saw the biped standing over, spear in hand and foot on his chest to hold him down, then he raised the spear and aimed for the mid-section as he…

“STOP!”

The biped shook his head, as if waking up from a dream. He looked around and saw the guards lying about unconscious. He saw the mares with fear written on their faces and he felt something move under his foot. He looked down and saw a battered Shining, but he wasn’t alone. Princess Cadence put herself between the spear point and her husband. Lying on top of him with tears in her eyes, she pleaded.

“Stop! Please!”

Short of breath, he wobbled back and threw down his weapon. Then there was a ringing in his ears and he held his head as a massive headache overtook him. The pain was too intense that it brought him to his knees. The simple light in the room became too much and he forced his eyes closed. All these put together was brutal, he vomited and tried to look around. His vision blurred as the last thing he saw before passing out was Luna getting fuzzy as he collapsed and she stood over him.

Then nothing.