• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 5,847 Views, 480 Comments

Family Tree - miss-cyan



Getting cryptic notes from dead relatives is never a good thing. This was no exception. What are you supposed to do when someone wants you to solve a mystery when there's something out in the woods? That turns out to be the least of my problems.

  • ...
15
 480
 5,847

The Proof

Rarity did great work on a few pieces right there in the house. I was glad to move the attention to the thing she was good at rather than any more of my personal problems, past or present.

“And you’ll see the work ensemble is made from a quality, durable fabric. And it’s easily washable too, you’ll find it doesn’t stain easily.”

She’d essentially made me a jumpsuit, with soft, canvas-like fabric in an olive green. It was actually pretty fashionable, but still exactly what I needed to do harder work around here.

“I like it.” And she seemed pleased. And she floated something over I almost cried at the sight of.

“Boots!” And they looked like they’d fit me. “How’d you pull these off so fast?”

“These are just temporary until I can make you a proper pair.” She smiled as I slipped them on, a perfect fit. “I asked Applejack for an old pair she wouldn’t miss and…magically stretched them to fit your size. That makes them not so durable, due to the material being thinned out, but they will protect your soft…feet, was it?”

“Yeah.” They were black and slick like rain boots, not lace-ups like I preferred, but having anything to cover my aching feet was a blessing.

Bless this magical, talking unicorn.

“Also…um…” I cleared my throat. “Thanks a lot for the uh…underclothes too.”

“No trouble at all.” Her cheeks went a little pink. “Imagine my surprise when you ask me to make you something that in pony fashion is more for…special, intimate occasions. Though, I can see the need, it will protect your more…sensitive areas from the outer layers of clothing. A necessity, and I made you plenty of pairs!”

An unspoken way to say, “So I don’t have to make any more for quite a while”. I really didn’t want to explain the design and functions of a bra at the moment, so I settled for asking for a few tank tops to serve as undershirts. With the weather getting chillier I wouldn’t mind the extra layers.

“Also, I enlisted some help from the Apple Family. Granny Smith and her knitting circle have your measurements, and they’ll be crafting you several pairs of socks. I recommended some colors, but apparently they have a system or some such thing with their yarn supply so, don’t be too upset if they get a little…creative.”

I didn’t think I’d miss socks, or many of these items of clothing as much as I had. But it was so nice to have things that were mine again. I had so little in this world that everything Rarity had given me was like a precious treasure.

“Thank you, again.” I sighed, feeling really…content. “I feel…better.”

“A new wardrobe will do that to a mare.” She beamed, hugging me again. “I’m so, so glad you like everything. Oh, I almost forgot.”

She floated another something over to us from the end of the bed. It was a set of very fancy-looking pajamas, a top and bottom with a pair of slippers to boot. The pajamas were a soft blue with a plaid pattern, and the top was button down with a collar.

“Now, I’m not normally a fan of plaid flannel, mind you…” she grimaced at the words. “But! The color stood out to me among my fabrics when I was searching for things you’d look nice in, and you’ll need warm night attire for this coming autumn night air.”

“They’re really fancy.” And the buttons were, of course, a soft pink. I snorted, tapping them expectantly with a wry smile. She looked away, blinking innocently, like she had no idea what it could mean or why she’d done it.

“To be completely fair…” she said after a beat. “…I picked those out before our…chat. But the…the colors still look nice together.”

“It’s fine, I’m not really upset.” I smiled, running a thumb over one of the buttons. “And the fuzzy slippers are cute too.” They were also very pink.

“I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed everything.” She collected her supplies in a flurry of movement, her magic swift and practiced. “And of course, I’ll work on the other designs we’ve discussed. Just need to find the right fabrics for the order.”

I’d asked for a few pieces of casual clothing, to wear around when I wasn’t working or sleeping, but they weren’t on the top of my “need asap” list.

“I appreciate it, really. And as soon as my stipend comes, you’ll be the first one to know.”

She smiled, a “If you think that’s best” smile, but she knew my stance on the matter.

“Oh and…” I thought about it for a moment. “It’s not really a huge secret, but…could you keep what I said today…just between us? I’m not into the idea of everybody knowing…all of that stuff…at least at the moment.”

“Say no more!” she smiled, nodding knowingly. “Matters of a young mare’s heart are not the sort of thing I tend to gossip about…” her muzzle scrunched up. “…from this moment on.”

“Hm.” I looked at her, getting a feeling. “Who else has heard gossip about a certain pink pony and me?”

“Oh, just myself. And Applejack…And Twilight.” Her muzzle scrunched up in thought. “…The Cakes too…and possibly Rainbow Dash.”

Great… I ran my fingers through my hair with a tired smile. Guess I’ll…cross that bridge when I come to it.

“Well, I need to collect my sister and get her home.” She laughed nervously, sticking her head out the door. “Oh Sweetie Belle! It’s time to go! Say your goodbyes.”

From down the hall, Sweetie burst from Apple Bloom’s room looking upset.

“Aw Rarity…oh! We were talking but, can I sleep over? I brought my school bags anyway, I can walk to school with Apple Bloom in the morning, and we were gonna invite Scootaloo and-”

“Oh all right…If Applejack says it’s alright, I suppose it will be fine.” She looked at her seriously, cutting off the fillies from their celebrating. “But! It is a school night, so no staying up too late. And no bothering Charlotte in the middle of the night! She needs her rest.”

“Yes!” Apple Bloom galloped down the stairs to ask her sister’s permission, and Sweetie zipped over to give her sister a big hug before joining her.

“Wait, why do I need rest?” I asked her, following her down the stairs.

“Oh, well.” She considered her words. “In addition to everything you’ve been through medically speaking, I did notice you seem a little…well not pale per say, but your coloring does seem a little…washed out?” She regarded me with concerned eyes. “Your complexion I mean. And you needed a lot of sitting breaks during your measurements, so I thought you might be feeling a bit fatigued.”

I felt my forehead and my cheeks. I thought I felt fine, maybe a little clammy, but I chalked it up to sweating from running around doing chores. I shrugged, the point of farm living was to tucker me out, so I didn’t say anything else against the idea.

We came down to Sweetie and Apple Bloom running out the door, maybe to pick up their other friend for the sleepover.

“I see they got the go ahead, as it were.” Rarity laughed, setting her supplies down momentarily.

“Like they were gonna take no for an answer with…” she looked at me, sheepish. “Well, what I mean is…”

“With someone so “interesting” in the house?” I smiled, getting it more or less. I guess to kids I was the weird new thing to puzzle over and talk about. “I’m not much for children’s sleepovers…but I can keep them from going to crazy tonight.”

“I appreciate it.” She sighed, a tired smile on her face. “Just don’t let them talk you into doin’ anything. They got a habit of finding trouble when the three of them get together.”

“Can do.”

As Rarity was picking her things up in her magic again, an idea hit me.

“Hey Rarity?’ I asked, wondering if she’d go for it. “Do you mind if I…have some of those fabric scraps? If you don’t need them, that is.”

“Oh, well I don’t see why not.” She magically opened her bags and floated me a small folded pile of fabric odds and ends. “Whatever for though?”

“I um…I know I’m gonna keep busy here but…in my spare time I like to sew…things.”

“I noticed you sewing by hoof-er pardon, I’ll work on that, hand when we arrived.” She nodded approvingly. “Your lines were impeccably straight.”

“Thanks. I’ve had a lot of practice.” I looked at the fabrics, they all seemed suitable for what I’d be making.

“Might we know what it is you intend to make?” Rarity asked, a playful smile on her muzzle. Applejack looked curious too.

“Uh…” I looked down at the fabric again, avoiding their eyes. “I like to…make…stuffed animals.”

They were both quiet. Rarity held a hoof to her chest, smiling fondly and Applejack chuckled under her breath.

“That’s adorable.” She shook her head, smiling a little.

“Yeah, yeah…”



The fillies got back with their third, who I guessed was the “Scootaloo” I’d heard about briefly.

“Oh wow!” the little orange filly buzzed up to me with her small wings, her eyes wide and shimmering. “I thought you’d be scarier! But you’re too cool!”

“That seems to be the general consensus.” I shrugged, smiling.

“Huh?” she tilted her head.

“Oh um…” I forgot I was talking to kids. “I’ve heard that a lot so far.”

“Well, look at you! You’re so tall!” she stood on her hind legs, leaning against my legs. I knelt down to their level to give her a better look. “I’ve never seen any creature like you!”

“I’m the only human here.” I shrugged, it was really a challenge to not pet the small ones. Or even just a scratch behind the ears. “I’m glad you’re not scared of me though.”

“Scared? Well…” Sweetie started, looking guilty.

“When we thought there might be some dangerous monster out there…we might’ve been scared.” Apple Bloom admitted, scuffing her hoof on the floor.

“But you’re nice!” Sweetie insisted, her ears laying down. “Nopony should be scared just because you’re different.”

“I appreciate it.” I smiled, standing back up. “I’m gonna need all the ponies on my side that I can get. I’ve got a bad feeling that some of the adults in this town won’t be quite so understanding.”

“Sometimes, grown ponies can be downright-” Apple Bloom stopped herself, realizing her sister was still in the room. Applejack smiled, with an air of “pick your next words carefully”. “Well…they get scared of creatures they’ve never met.”

“I assume you’re talkin’ about Zecora?” Applejack asked, an eyebrow raised and a smirk. She turned to me. “Yeah, I’ll admit it, I was a real class act. There’s a zebra named Zecora who lives out in the Everfree. When she first came to town nopony, includin’ myself, would go anywhere near her. We’d shut ourselves in and wait for her to leave, it was right ignorant of all of us. Then we got into a little…magic mishap. We all thought she was the one who done it to us. Only Apple Bloom here saw past all that fear mongerin’ nonsense and actually tried to get to know her.”

“Hm.” I thought about it. A zebra was a lot less “different” than I was.

“Now I can’t promise that it’s gonna be all sunshine and rainbows…” she looked at me, determined. “But ponies ‘round here are better than they were. If we take things slow and let everypony get to know ya, they’ll warm up to ya in no time.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” I could only hope it’d be that easy.



I hadn’t been to a sleepover in a while, not that I’d be sleeping in the room with them, but it was odd being a mix of “chaperone” and “guest of honor”. And these fillies were a lot chattier when they were together.

“Is it weird not having any fur?” Scootaloo asked, a hoof on my arm.

“Is it weird being covered in it?” I laughed. “I don’t really know the difference.” I had changed into the pajamas, if only to be more comfortable. But I was grateful, as Apple Bloom’s room was a little chilly. I think they didn’t even notice.

“Do you always stand up on your hind legs, like Spike?” Sweetie Belle was next. “Or do you get down on your claws sometimes?”

“Always up. And they’re not claws.” I pointed to the parts. “They’re fingers, hands, and arms. Only got two legs.”

“Is your tail the same short style as your mane?” Apple Bloom was laying on my back, and I was resting on my stomach on her bed inside the blanket fort.

“Why does everybody think I have-…never mind.” I shrugged. “I only had a tail when I was a pony, but it was the same. And I just call it hair.”

They had a lot of questions about me, and I was happy to answer anything that didn’t stray into weird territory. They of course wanted to know why I wore clothes all the time and I told them to trust me when I said it was just uncomfortable.

“What’s it like?” Apple Bloom asked, peering over my shoulder. “Bein’ part pony?”

I thought about it, aside from the initial freak out and worrying I hadn’t put this into words yet.

“I’ve always been…two things.” I considered. “My mom and dad are different-looking from each other so I’m a mix of them. It’s like…My dad’s the one I got the pony side from, yeah?” they nodded. “And I’ve never known anything about his family so…I’ve never really known where the parts of me I got from him were from. That part of me was…missing. It’s kind of a relief, knowing that I’m something now.”

“But…” I got to the heavier stuff, still keeping it light for the kids. “Where I come from, talking ponies, unicorns, pegasi…it’s all make-believe. It’s like…imagine you found out you were part…you guys don’t have aliens here, right?”

“Nope. Unless you count you.” Scootaloo smirked.

“Har, har…Well, like imagine one day you found out you’re part alien.” I told them. “It doesn’t change who you are, you still look like you, you just…have this whole other side to you that…I don’t know. It could be good or bad, but for you it just…is.”

They seemed like they more or less got it.

“You said you had a little brother.” Apple Bloom remembered. “So he’s part pony too, like your pa?”

“Yeah. I don’t know how he’ll feel about it.” I sighed. If I ever even see him again.

I think they could tell I was feeling down. Apple Bloom hugged me around the neck, and I patted her foreleg appreciatively. I had just cried about Mason that morning, when she and Applejack were visiting me in the hospital. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo came in closer, hugging me too.

“Do all ponies like hugs?” I half-laughed. They’re sweet kids.

After some more stories about human life, they especially liked my retellings of some movies and shows, and some shows of why hands where just as good as hooves (cat’s cradle, shadow puppets, the works), we’d hit curfew. I said my goodnights to the girls and headed back to the guest room. I was feeling a bit sluggish, and the house was still pretty chilly at night. I piled on the spare blankets and passed out not two minutes after.



The girls had managed to get a good night’s sleep. I guess even preteen ponies can’t help but conk out after the sun goes down.

“I’m makin’ flapjacks!” Applejack announced at the breakfast table. She made short work of cooking them and started asking ponies for portions.

“Big Mac? Your usual dozen?”

“Eeyup.”

“I’ll have a half-dozen, dear.” Granny Smith answered. “Don’t wanna be too full for lunch after knittin’ today.”

The girls each got a half-dozen too. Even small little fillies still scarfed down flapjacks like nobody’s business.

“Um…” I tossed a guess out. “Maybe…three?”

Applejack eyed me.

“You sure, Lottie?” she gave me my share. “I don’t want you goin’ hungry now.”

“I think I’m still a little full from dinner.” I shrugged. I usually didn’t eat breakfast that early. “Or hey, maybe my ravenous magic appetite is calming down.”

“Alright, but if you get hungry before lunch just give one of us a holler.” She made her own plate and we settled down to breakfast.

I was actually kind of relieved. I wasn’t one to worry about my figure, but I was starting to doubt that any amount of farm chores could burn off all the extra calories I was scarfing down with every meal. Plus, never really being full was making me start to feel like a bottomless pit. I wouldn’t want to eat these ponies out of house and home.

The girls were off to school and I got dressed for chores. My new jumpsuit was nice, but I could still feel the chill of the fall air through the fabric. I layered on another undershirt, got my boots on and stepped outside.

It was weird stepping out into the open air where anyone could see me. But the property was surrounded by trees and farmland for miles. The odds of getting spotted were low, so I settled down.

“If you want to do somethin’ today…” Applejack pointed to a structure not far from the house. “The pigs could use a bath. After that, the chickens should be ready to get their eggs collected, just…sweet talk ‘em and they’ll know they don’t gotta be scared of a new face.”

“Can do.” I told her. She pointed out where the supplies I’d need were and I got to work.



The trio of fillies were as eager for recess as ever. Ms. Cheerilee had already stepped out for playground monitor duty, and they found themselves at the back of the classroom to get their lunches from their bags.

“You think just because your “momma” told you a bedtime story to make you feel better like the little filly you are, you know better than me?” a familiar voice shouted haughtily. “Just because you got your cutie mark doesn’t mean you’re suddenly mature enough to understand these kinds of things!”

“Uh-oh…” Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes with a sigh. “Sounds like Diamond Tiara’s at it again.”

“It’s true!” their classmate Sweet Wheat cried out. “My momma says that the monster’s not a monster at all!”

That made all three fillies’ ears stand up in attention.

“No…” Apple Bloom whispered. “Couldn’t be…”

“How many times has there been, like, a horrifying monster right outside the town, or rampaging through it? If you turned your back on a timber wolf or a hydra, it’d eat you alive!” Silver Spoon chimed in, backing up her friend.

“Just because your mommy didn’t want you wetting the bed anymore, doesn’t mean you’re safe.” She teased, and poor Sweet Wheat turned bright red with tears in her eyes.

“I…I was not!” she cried, shaking with embarrassment.

“Diamond Tiara!” Apple Bloom shouted, stomping over. “Don’t you have anythin’ better to do than makin’ ponies cry?”

“Oh, here we go.” The pink fill rolled her eyes. “How did I know I was going to hear your two bits about this? Don’t you have anything better to do than to stick your muzzle into everypony else’s conversations?”

“It’s not a conversation!” Sweetie went to console Sweet Wheat. “It’s just you being a big bully like you always are!”

“And who are you to say what’s true and what’s not?” Scootaloo confronted her too. “Have you even seen this so-called monster??”

“I happen to have a very reliable source on things like this.” She stuck her nose in the air, flipping her mane over her shoulder.

“Like who? Your daddy?” Apple Bloom smirked. Diamond’s muzzle scrunched up in indignation. “Everypony knows Roseluck was the only pony to see the creature, and she’s so high-strung you could fly her like a kite. No offense to her.” She added, frowning at her choice of words. “And besides, maybe the “monster” is just…lost and sad. You shouldn’t go spreadin’ rumors around because you think you might be right.”

“When did I become the bad pony here?” Diamond really sounded stressed and flustered. “A monster shows up and you’re all acting like we should go out and let ourselves get eaten. “Oh hey, vicious pony-eating monster! We’re too dumb to run away or be scared of you so hey! Why don’t you eat me from the hindlegs up, so I can compliment how pretty your fangs are?” You’re stupider than I thought you were, and that’s saying something.”

Apple Bloom felt a sting of hurt and anger deep in her barrel, but before she retaliated, she remembered the advice Lottie had given her, back when she was just Cornflower Blue.

“But teasing is hard…you just gotta fake it ‘til you make it. Give off the impression that you don’t even care what anypony thinks of you, and soon enough, you’ll believe it.”

Apple Bloom realized that Diamond Tiara was just trying to rile her up, and for once she wasn't going to give her what she wanted. She walked past her to Sweet Wheat, who had calmed down a little.

“Hey there, Sweet Wheat.” She smiled. “Sorry about all this. Why don’t you come eat lunch with us and we can talk about…what your momma told you.”

“Um…sure.” Sweet Wheat knew that Apple Bloom and her friends weren’t going to tease her about it, and anywhere would be better than here. “That sounds nice.”

Diamond Tiara was floored, she watched in stunned silence as the four fillies walked past her with their lunches and out into the playground.

“Huh…” Silver Spoon watched them go. “That was like, kind of weird, right? You called her stupid right to her face and she just…walked away?”

“I saw what happened, I was there.” Diamond grumbled under her breath and Silver knew better than to keep talking when her friend got like this. Diamond had a feeling something was up, usually it was easy to push those three’s buttons, especially Apple Bloom’s. There was just so much to work with there. But this was…different.

“C’mon.” she went out the door, looking around.



“So, what did your mom say?” Scootaloo asked Sweet Wheat. She took a bite of her daisy sandwich and looked thoughtful.

“Shu sahh…” she stopped, swallowing. “Sorry…she said that Mrs. Cake told her that Princess Twilight and her friends knew the creature, and she wasn’t scary, just far from home. The Princess is working on sending her home, and that she never meant to scare anypony.”

The three looked at each other.

“I’m gonna need all the ponies on my side that I can get.”

“Mrs. Cake would’ve heard it from Pinkie, so she’s on her side too.” Apple Bloom leaned, whispering to her friends.

“I know my momma would never lie to me…” Sweet Wheat sighed, looking down at her hooves. “But maybe Diamond’s right…at the end of the day, maybe she just heard more gossip…”

“Diamond Tiara being right…” Scootaloo shivered, grimacing. “Now there’s a scary thought.”

“What do you think, Sweet Wheat?” Sweetie asked, looking at her with earnest eyes. “I know you were scared because of the stories but…what would you do if this creature was really just that? Just some creature lost and alone?”

Apple Bloom liked this approach, and she silently thanked her friend for her quick thinking.

“Well…” she took another bite, swallowing first. “I thought about it…and I think a lot of it makes sense. Only one pony ever even saw her, uh…if they are a her like momma said. And if I got scared just hearing a story, it’s not to hard to imagine ponies going all crazy about something maybe being out there.”

“If she was just scared and alone, far from home…” she looked thoughtful again, cramming the last of her sandwich into her mouth. “…then I guess I’d want her to…feel better. You know?”

They did know. They exchanged a hopeful look, there was no harm in confirming what the filly already knew.

“Well, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon don’t need to know…” Sweetie started, scooting in closer. “But you really don’t have to be scared.”

Close by, two fillies were…well, not eavesdropping. That would be unbecoming of two high society young mares such as themselves. But listening intently was definitely more their style. It just happened to be from a bush not far away.

“What did she say?” Silver Spoon whispered, biting her tongue to keep her from yelping when a branch poked her in her side.

“Shhh!” Diamond hushed her angrily. “If you keep talking, I’ll never be able to-”

“Yeah, she’s right out at Sweet Apple acres!” Apple Bloom said, not too loud. Loud enough though. “And she’s really fun and nice. But she’s real homesick too, so don’t ask her a lot of questions about that stuff.”

“Ask her…” Sweet Wheat’s eyes got wide. “You want me to go and see her?”

“If it would make you feel better.” Apple Bloom offered. “But it’s something you can’t tell anypony about. If grown ponies find out about her too soon, especially with this whole “monster” story goin’ around, some of them might…”

“Act all stupid.” Scootaloo added, making Sweet Wheat laugh.

“I really can?” she asked. “Today?”

“Again, if you want to.” Sweetie Belle nodded, smiling. “She’s really different-looking, so don’t get spooked until you talk to her.”

They kept talking about their afterschool plans, but their two unintended listeners were already safely across the playground.



Pinkie was at the counter after the lunch rush, it was still pretty slow in-between meals in the fall. It had been nice to come back home to Sugarcube Corner. It had been nice to sit to a meal with her second family. It had been especially nice to sleep in her own bed, even without Lottie to snuggle up next to.

And there it was.

She missed her friend.

That little voice in Pinkie’s head, the one she never really listened to, was telling her everything was fine, it had only been a day since they’d seen each other. What could’ve possibly happened since then? That they would see each other soon. That Lottie Dottie might get self-conscious if she thought that Pinkie thought that she needed checking up on every other day.

And for once, the little voice was right. She could go out and visit on her next day off, and they could spend the day together out at Sweet Apple Acres. Maybe bring her a treat.

The bell above the door rang, and Rainbow Dash had come flying in, not too fast, but her hooves not touching the floor.

“Hey Pinkie Pie!” she gave her usual midday warm greeting with a classic Dashie smile. “You look bored. Slow day?”

“A little, not too bad.” She smiled, hopping to the register. “You want your usual?”

“C’mon Pinkie.” She laughed, skeptic. “I know I carbo-load here from time to time, but I can’t have eaten sweet stuff here often enough to have “a usual”.”

“Hmm…Nope!” she tapped the side of her poofy pink head. “Rainbow Dash comes in every other Friday afternoon and gets two cinnamon rolls and a slice of coffee cake to go. Sometimes she comes in on the in-between Fridays and makes the coffee cake for here, depending on if the weather team’s got rain scheduled or not.” She looked up at the flying Pegasus with her usual Pinkie Pie smile. “And she likes extra cinnamon crumbles on the coffee cake.”

“…Dang Pinkie.” She half-laughed. “Your memory is scary-good.”

“Thanks!” she looked at her friend, waiting. “Sooooo…”

“Oh, yeah.” She smiled, shrugging. “I guess I’ll have the usual then.”

Pinkie was getting everything together when she got an idea. Something the little voice told her was pushing it, but technically not a bad idea. So it was a go!

“Dashie.” She asked taking her friends bits and putting them in the register. “If I gave you a to-go order, would you do me an itty-bitty, teensy-weensy favor?”



The pigs had been washed, although they just jumped into the mudhole by their pen, so I felt a little cheated. And the chickens were a bit skittish at first, but I did do some sweet talking like Applejack said, and like Fluttershy’s animals, they easily picked up on what I was saying. Turns out chickens really like it when you compliment their singing. It wasn't as conventional as most bird's singing, but they appreciated a willing audience. By the end of the performance they were more than willing to let me collect their eggs after a round of applause.

“You did good!” Applejack told me, walking out of the house with myself close behind. Lunch had been nice, but I was still not eating that much. “You look a little tired though. If you want to take a break, I won’t mind none.”

How did lunch not count as a break for these ponies? I felt more or less okay, and I could keep going. I told her so and she shrugged.

“If you say so.” She stopped at the tree line, scanning the orchard. “If you’re really up for more, you can get a cart from the barn and pick up the dead branches in the orchard. Just don’t do it close to where we’ll be buckin’. I don’t want you gettin’ hit in the head by a rush of fallin’ apples.”

“I can do that.” It seemed easy enough. On my way to and from the barn I rubbed my arms, fighting the autumn chill. I almost wished I was a pony again, if only to have a full coat of fur to warm me. It didn’t seem to be noticeable to them at all.

It was a big orchard and picking up sticks a few at a time certainly was filling out the day. It was hard to tell how long had passed with no clock nearby and the sun stuck in place. But I just kept going. I was sweating a bit, despite the cold.

I picked up a few more branches from under a tree, tossing them into the cart when I heard something…strange.

It was familiar, but I couldn’t place it. Like…water? No…like a plinking sound…Like…

“The lights…”

I looked around, semi-panicked, but I didn’t see them anywhere. I’d seen them during the day before, they weren’t that hard to spot, but it was just the sound, very close…very loud.

Like right in my ears.

I blinked slowly, the backs of my eyelids felt hot. I shook my head, trying to get rid of the sounds, but I was too tired. I closed my eyes, despite the burning, and tried to talk over the sound.

“It’s fine. I’m okay…” I said to myself, and I focused on my breathing. “It’s fine, I’m okay. It’s fine, I’m okay. It’s fine, I’m-”

“Hey!”

My eyes shot open, relieving the heat, and right in front of my face was Rainbow Dash. She looked concerned, but the noises were gone.

“Hey, are you okay?” she asked, still flying there. I backed up a step, nodding.

“Yeah…I’t's-”

“Fine? And you're okay?” she smiled a little, head tilted. “Yeah, you were saying that when I was trying to get your attention.”

“Sorry…” I wiped at my watering eyes, taking a deep breath. “I think I…”

I paused, the last few minutes were a blur of hot and cold in my brain. I held my arms, rubbing them again. “It’s just…. this weather, you know?” my teeth were chattering a little.

“I guess you would be cold, bein’ hairless and all.” She produced a bag, holding it out to me. “Pinkie Pie made you some special treats and I rushed them right over.”

I eyed the bag, my stomach flipping.

“Oh, no I can’t…” I gently pushed them away. “I…don’t really have an appetite today.”

“Figures.” She half-laughed. “You’ve been eating like you’re starving for days, and Pinkie makes you something the one day you’re not hungry. You mind if I have one?”

“Be my guest.” I rubbed at my arms a bit more. The chill was passing, but I’d be grateful when Granny Smith was done with those knitted socks.

“Pinkie’s cookies are the best.” She bit into warm, fresh chocolate chip cookie, the chips still melty.

“Yeah…Pinkie’s the best.” I agreed. The words just spilled out of my mouth. The backs of my eyelids were hot.

“That’s…not what I said, but yeah, that too.” She smiled. Then she grinned, her eyebrows waggling. “Ya know, I hear she’s kind of sweet on you. I mean, that’s just gossip. But she definitely thinks a lot of you.”

“I don’t know…” I sighed, rubbing at my scorching eyes. “It’s kinda weird, right? Me bein’ me and her bein’ a pony?”

“Mmm…maybe?” she ate another cookie, shrugging. “I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.”

“I just…” I closed my eyes, trying to will away the hot by exposure. “I wanna touch her fluffy little ears…and her hoofsies…I wanna play with her cotton candy mane.” I looked up at the sky, trying to blink away the watering of my eyes. “I wanna pet her and scratch her behind the ears but it’s so! Weird!”

“Uh…” she stopped midbite, her cheeks a little pink. “Yeah, I mean…That all sounds fine. Why’s it weird?”

“’Cause!” I looked at her, my hands on either side of my head. “She’s a…little pony! An I don wanna make her think…she’s just a…dumb animal!”

“Whoa, hang on!” she looked at me odd. “Dumb animal…you said you’re the only talking ones back where you’re from. Do you…Hey! Do you think ponies are just animals?”

“No I don’t!” I threw my arms up, and the words just kept coming. “That’s what I mean, Rainbow!” My eyes were watering again. “I’m a pony too! But I’m also…not!”

I groaned in frustration at her questioning look.

“I mean…!” I made vague gestures with my hands, not really sure what they were supposed to mean. “I would not…pet a human! Or do a scratch behind the ears! Or…carry around a ten-year-old like a baby purse dog!” she looked confused at that one. “But I want to! The snuggly stuff! With…Pinkie! So…what if I’m…not…good!”

I wobbled on my feet, and Rainbow had the sense and speed to keep me from hitting the ground. She lowered me to sit down beside the cart of branches.

“Hey, whoa!” she used her wings to fan my face. “You’re sweating, like…a lot!”

“It’s just…really hot…” I had no strength in my arms and my eyes were on fire. “I’m…I’m kind of…” I let my head droop a bit, and she stopped it from falling forward with her hoof. “I’m…gonna sleep now, okay. Goodnight.”

“What!?” she cried out, tapping my cheeks to keep me awake. “No, it is not goodnight! Lottie! Hey!!”



Four fillies found the two at the edge of the orchard, and Rainbow was so relieved to not be dealing with this alone.

“Okay, I gotta go get somepony!” she announced, making sure Lottie wouldn’t fall over. “Apple Bloom, get Applejack, or Big Mac, anypony! Get her inside!” When the filly took off, she looked at the others. “You three! Stay with her ‘til they get back. Scoots!” The filly stood at attention. “Keep her cool with some wing power! I gotta get moving!”

As the Pegasus sped off as fast as her wings would carry her, two fillies lurked in the brush nearby.

“Did you get it?” Diamond asked. Silver Spoon had sweet talked Featherweight’s camera off of him, and it had served its purpose.

“Totally.” They had taken a shortcut and beat the others here by a couple of minutes, just in time to get plenty of shots of that…thing, up and about, being weird.

“Who do you think we should take these to first?” Diamond Tiara smiled, flipping her mane and feeling very self-satisfied.

“Uh…Your dad? Wasn’t that the plan?” Silver asked, confused.

“Really?” she batted her eyelashes, playing dumb. “Because I just got a better idea.”

They made their way to the road unseen, and Diamond smiled again, very proud of herself and her new plan.

“I think the ponies at the Ponyville Chronicle would make much better use of these pictures.” She looked to her friend who gasped with a smile.

“Why DT, you are just, like, the most responsible pony, wanting the citizens of Ponyville to stay informed.” She grinned. “So thoughtful.”

They giggled to themselves, racing off into town.

Author's Note:

(was gonna release this chapter next week but, what the heck? happy early mother's day folks) (also, always appreciate your comments, lets me know what im doing right/wrong c:)

hey Lottie...y'alright?

looks like all it took to talk about the petting stuff was a high, delirious fever.

and Diamond Tiara, you ain't the villain of this story, but that don't make you any less...just awful, really. At least the CMC had the sense to say "keep this a secret please" before telling anybody anything.

and Lottie forgot to mention to Apple Bloom that sometimes, if you don't give a bully what they want, they just find a way to hit harder. oops

Rainbow Dash was just the right combination of oblivious and chill to be the pony to have that conversation with. imagine losing your mind with fever right next to a pony and they just keep talking with you. at eating many more cookies than they asked to.

Lottie you look sweaty
It's probably fine
Lottie you seem really tired
It's fine
Lottie you seem to be experiencing a bit of the chills
S'fine
Lottie you're passing out in the middle of an orchard
fine

jesus Lottie

i was originally going to have Apple Bloom partly out Lottie's whereabouts/existence to DT by whipping out a hand turkey Lottie made while showing them hand stuff. i thought it'd be funny.

"Y'all want proof? Take a look at this!"
"What...what am I looking at? A...very badly drawn chicken?"
"No! It's a turkey! she made it!"

ain't first drafts something?

some art for the outfits: