• Published 2nd Jun 2015
  • 2,292 Views, 133 Comments

The Limestone City Bat - Seeking Dusk



The city is so empty now that everyone is gone. For whatever reason, I'm still here, only with hooves. I'll figure something out.

  • ...
10
 133
 2,292

28-05 [2]

“JADE!” The sound of the car and the thrumming of the heavy rain fall pretty much eliminated any advantage his hearing would have giving him. He was pretty much soaked as well from all the rain that poured in through Cynthia’s open windows, but he couldn’t exactly call out for her with the windows shut. Flashes of lightning and the almost simultaneous peals of thunder occasionally added their part to the mix.

“JADE! WHERE ARE YOU!” As best as he could figure, she would likely be heading back to Odessa. It was the only thing he could think of that made sense. Unless she decided to just randomly wander about and hole up somewhere? That would mean she could be anywhere and severely lower the possibility of him finding her.

He chose not to consider that possibility. At least, not consider it too much.

He focused on driving and yelling out for her. Highway 2 was pretty sparse between Kingston and Odessa, and didn’t leave her with many places to actually be. He paused by each one, yelling and honking the horn before moving on.

“Come on, Jade, where are you?” Robin groaned, shivering slightly from the chill he was getting, soaked as he was; too worried to care enough to do more than turn the heat on full. In a way, it was a good thing. He had been up some fifteen or more hours by that point, and he spent more of the day doing physical labour, from the gardening projects to trying to dismantle the propane furnace in the house a few up from his to working on rigging the smart cars for neptin use. All of which were attempts to keep from worrying too much about Jade’s absence. Most of which failed.

In short; he was tired both mentally and physically, and running on fumes. He hit the dash with a hoof as he swore to himself. “Dammit, dammit, dammit! JADE! Where did you go?”

Even driving slowly and with frequent pauses, he didn’t have far to go before reaching Odessa. The city limits sign quickly passed, and soon the country side and rolling fields gave way to smaller properties and houses. It hit him a moment later that he was still thinking with a pre-event mindset. While it didn’t bother him much, it was quite dark outside, far beyond the point that someone would need lights if they didn’t have his eyes. And Jade’s vision was far lacking in the dark compared to his.

Rather than stopping at every house, he cruised past looking for lights that might be on. He didn’t find any by the time he reached his destination; Jade’s home. True, she had never actually told him where she lived, but she had giving him her name. It had only taken a few minutes to get an address from the white pages. He did that from the second day. He was banking on the idea that she might be there and hopefully ran to the building.

No Jade. The house was locked, and he didn’t feel right in breaking the door down, so he only spent the time confirming no one was there,; circling the house, listening and looking through the windows for signs of activities, using his wings to shield his head from the rain. All that resulted in was him getting even more drenched than he had been, and the addition of mud, muck and plant matter to his fur.

He made haste in scrambling back into Cynthia, rolling up the window for a brief reprise from the relentless downpour. Starting the engine and positioning himself in the chair, he contemplated his next move as he prepared to drive off. His head dropped, hitting the wheel and setting off a short honk.

“Jade… where are you?” Robin whimpered, breaking down, tears dripping from his eyes. He sat there like that for a while, shivering despite Cynthia’s heater’s trying their best. His hesitant voice broke the silence.

“God… I know… I know I haven’t said anything to you in a while… but… you gotta help me… I messed up… I messed up and it just kept getting worse… could you give me a hand or something?”


Robin didn’t get the divine intervention he was looking for, and eventually realized he had to head back. He was pretty listless as he drove back to Kingston, as if his resolve broke back at Jade’s place. Struggling to keep himself awake, he murmuring more of the same, continuing to berate himself over his mishandling of the situation.

He wasn’t paying as much attention as he should, and the headlights were messing with his nightvision somewhat, so the deer prancing across the road completely blindsided him. They leaped out from the thick plant growth that bordered that stretch of road, heedless of his travel. A small herd of them, leaping out without abandon and from out of nowhere from his perspective, suddenly appeared.

“Shhhiiii-” he yelled, yanking the wheel to one side, slamming a hoof down on the brake hard intending to swerve away. Wheels locked up, but on the rain slick road traction was a premium, and Cynthia started hydroplaning, her momentum taking her into an uncontrolled slide, skidding and spinning out on the empty street.

Robin struggled to get Cynthia back under control, but his unfamiliarity with driving using hooves rather than hands was working against him. It was all he could do to clamp on with grimfaced and wide eyed determination as Cynthia careened. The wild ride was abruptly ended when he barrelled off the asphalt and crashed into the untamed growth.

Robin sat stiff in the driver’s seat, breathing heavily as his heart threatened to pound its way out of his chest. Slowly, he released his death grip on the wheel and, fumbled with the hoof-unfriendly latch. After a struggle, he managed to force the door open, where the plants were trying to pin it shut.

“Hell… the actual hell…” Robin panted as he staggered out into the rain. The deer hadn’t stopped, continuing on their way. Loud bangs spooked him when two more leaped unto Cynthia. He jumped reflexively, wings flared, getting enough height to actually clear Cynthia himself as the deer bounded off into the night. It was the closest to flight he had ever gotten, and as could be expected his landing wasn’t anything near graceful and he slammed painfully into the ground.

And uncertain amount of time passed as he lay in the mud, dazed and half conscious. In his addled thoughts, Jade’s voice rang, speaking and repeating lines to him. Things she had actually said were in the minority, with those imagined by his guilty subconscious being prevalent.

“You want me to give up on my uncles? My family?”

“No… not that…” Robin murmured weakly. A faint image of Jade seemed to loom over him.

“No way I’m giving up on my family!” the spectre snapped with more venom than the original would have managed.

“But… I didn’t mean that…” he tried to protest.

“Forget it!” another one interjected. They both whirled and stalked off in different directions.

“Wait… don’t go…” Robin floundered, trying and failing to get up.

“You’re a jerk, Robin!” one of them shot back.

“I’m s-sorry…” he stammered.

“I don’t want to see you again!” they both yelled.

“Jade… don’t…” Robin whimpered to himself, eyes fluttering. He woke unexpected and abruptly, coughing to get the muck that found its way into his mouth and nose out. Slowly, he struggled to his feet, wincing at the pain that shot through his right foreleg, an effort of will keeping it from collapsing beneath him. His right wing was pained was well, both having suffered from his fall.

Gritting his teeth, he stumbled back to Cynthia, trying to avoid using his right leg. He had to get back. Sitting out in the rain wasn’t helping anything and he was liable to get sick. Even if he did chase off the only other person he found, he still had to get back. Cynthia didn’t seem that bad off, considering. He spotted what seemed to be a few dents in the front bumper, and a more than her fair share of scratches on both the front and sides, but nothing that would keep her from being driven. Her engine was still going strong too.

It wouldn’t exactly be easy getting her out, particularly with his sore limbs, but possible. It would just take a bit of effort. The hardest part was pulling the larger clumps and pieces of branches and brush free from the wheel wells and away from Cynthia’s sides. While grasping them between his jaws was easy enough, largely thanks to their lack of thorns, the taste left much to be desired and backing up with a bum leg was tricky.

Struggling back into the driver’s seat, he did a quick check to make sure his rigged apparatus was still intact before awkwardly shifting her into reverse with his left leg. Even with her 4WD engaged, Cynthia’s tires tended to spin out, getting little traction on the rain sodden soil, only hesitantly jerking free of the embrace of the plants, sliding as Robin struggled to gain her purchase. He was relieved when the rear wheels hit the asphalt and Cynthia pulled herself back unto the hardtop with a jolt.

She felt a bit off as he continued on his way, but Robin chalked it up to the alignment being jarred out of place from the crash. That was a thing that could happen, as far as he knew. Either way, he was still tired, but way to riled up to actually be sleepy. He constantly dwelled on his failing with Jade, and it was the only thing on his mind when he finally limped into the house, like the weight of the world on his back.

His hopes rose when he noticed that the lights were on, and his paced picked up a little. The knob was a minor challenge in his rush, but he hurried inside. “Jade!?”

The dogs ran out to meet him with matching enthusiasm. The dejected expressions that followed when both parties realized who came were also shared. Rocket growled as him before sulking off. Dax was a bit more concerned about his condition, whining and tentatively licking at his shoulder.

“So she didn’t come back?” Robin asked the big dog. Dax whined a negative. Robin laughed sadly. “Of course she didn’t… why would she? I scared off the only other person I found. God… I must be the biggest asshole in the world.”

Dax didn’t look impressed with him, trying to be supporting, playing a paw on his shoulder, but Robin walked away from it.

“Actually… considering the empty city, I really might be. Biggest in Ontario, in the least.” He laughed again, slumping against the wall, silent tears falling. “I’m the idiot. The Idiot.”

He staggered to the kitchen. The world ended, then he ruined the one relationship he had. Yeah. This called for a drink.


The rain had finally slowed from the heavy pouring that had been dominating for the past few hours. Instead, it was a consistent drizzle. Way better than what it had been. Jade looked out the window and figured she should head back already.

She sighed. Maybe she had overreacted. Okay, no maybe about it. Running off and sulking for the entire day? Yeah. She could have reacted better. But Nightwing was telling her to forget about her family!

At least, she thought he was. She had thought about it since she ran off. She hadn’t let him finish. Maybe he wasn’t saying what she thought he was. But by the time she realized that she had already ran off and was too embarrassed to head back. By the time she got over the embarrassment, it didn’t feel… right to go outside.

She wasn’t sure how to explain it, but it just felt… heavy outside. Not just like… she really couldn’t find the right words for it. Anyway, she had stayed inside the unlocked house she found and about two hours later the storm started. And it was a big one. She couldn’t remember seeing a storm that bad. Every time the lightning flashes, she could feel a slight twitch in her wings.

Still, she really wanted to get back before it got later. Ever since she turned into a pony staying up late had been hard. Like really hard. Nightwing didn’t that that problem, but then, he could hardly stay up all day. She wasn’t sure which was worse.

But with the rain having eased back mostly, she figured it was time to head back. She snagged the umbrella she found. Its curved handle let her hold it in her mouth in a mostly serviceable fashion. It only took her about fifteen minutes to get back to Robin’s place. She had honestly considered running all the way home, but part way there she stopped. The thought of home made her feel worse than anything Nightwing said.

Not just said. Scared. She didn’t want to stay in the empty house. It made her feel like crying and screaming at the same time. It was why she left in the first place. And that’s why Nightwing was nice. He let her stay at his place without asking much of her really. And he let her play video games most of the day. Even if he apparently wanted her to do school work, which was lame.

Besides, she didn’t have her shoes, and she wasn’t walking all that way bare footed, er, hooved again.

The rain was just starting to pick up again by the time she was trotting up the drive way. The van gave her pause though. Even in the dark it looked way more beat up than it had in the morning, and there were pieces of a plant or something in the front. She shrugged it off

Light wasn’t exactly spilling from the windows, but she did see one on further inside. She stopped to whip her hooves on the mat, leaving the umbrella on the porch before she headed in.

“I’m back,” she called out timidly. For a moment, there was no response but her ears pricked up when she heard the dogs racing towards the door. They barreled around the corner, both slipping and losing their footing before they tackled her to the ground and covered with sloppy dog kisses.

“Okay, okay! I missed you guys too!” Jade giggled at their attentions tickled her. It was a while before they calmed down, and even then Rocket was yapping happily. “I was only gone for a day. Um… weren’t… where’s Nightwing?”

Rocket huffed and kept on circling her, but Dax’s ears dropped and he whined, pointing a nose to the kitchen. Jade raised an eyebrow, but headed there. The first thing she noticed was the strong smell coming from the room. The second was the smell. It was weird. A bit sour and clingy, strong and sort of irritating. She snorted a little before heading in.

There were bottles scattered on the floor. She was more than old enough to recognize that they were beer bottles. Her wings flared slightly as she realized what it meant. There were a lot of bottles on the floor. And Nightwing was sitting, back against the stove, legs splayed, another bottle awkwardly held in his hooves.

He… was a mess. Most of his coat had mud on it, there were leaves and twigs in his mane and tail, his fur looked ragged somehow, and his eyes had a vacant look to them. Trouble was sitting on the counter nearby, and glared at her, hissing slightly. Nightwing glanced up at the cat before looking over her. He smiled weakly.

“Hilo..!” he croaked.

“Uh,” Jade was confused, so she asked the obvious question. “Are you drinking?”

“Uh huh,” Nightwing agreed. He looked down at his bottle as if to confirm it before taking a swallow. “Beer!”

“Where did you get them?” She was sure she never saw any beer bottles in the house before. Much less that many.

“I… I foun’ them!” Nightwing explained hesitantly. He paused, looking at his hoof contemplatively, then looked up with more confidence. “Had some hidd’n case I needed them.”

“Why?” Jade pressed, edging a bit closer.

“I… I got this one!” He fumbled a bit before shifting his position to something close to the one he generally adopted when he got passionate about an idea, a hoof in the air as he lectured. “I- I heard dat you can ddrunk you sorrows when you get drowned.”

He blinked, cocking his head to the side and lowing the hoof. “Wait, that sounded wrong… sorrow your drown? No… dunk your marrow? Wait, I got this… Drown your sorrows! That one! Anyway, I tried a beer, an’ it tastes bad. Then I remembered that I’mma not human any mores. I’mma a neptin and I don’t know how al’ohol would affect a neptin, so I dids research! A studies on how a neptin handles intoxications!”

He lifted his head proudly, if somewhat unsteadily. “Smart, huh?”

“How… how many of those did you drink?” Jade demanded, looking at the scattered bottles. She could see at least a dozen. She was pretty sure drinking that much was bad for you.

“Oh! I had… um… I finnished a pack… that would be six… plus the more, and I found… and I threw up… and… I…” Nightwing’s eyes widened and he looked around in terror and confusion. “Nononononono…”

“What?”

“I lost count! I gotta start over!” He declared, picking up another bottle.

“No. Nightwing!” she quickly intercepted, holding his leg down.

“Aww…” he groaned, but looked up curiously at Jade. “Hey… my friend calls me that… you kina look like her…”

“It’s me, Jade.”

“Her name was Jade too!” Nightwing marveled, eyes wide.

“No, It’s me!” Jade insisted before letting out a groan of her own. “I’m Jade.”

He peered at her closely before shaking his head. “Nah… you can’t be… Jade said she was leaving and never ever wanna to see me again!”

Jade froze. “I never said that!”

“Really mess’d dat one up, I did. Ha! I’mma my daddy’s boy!” Nightwing declared wait misplace cheer, setting one of the bottles rolling. “Colt? Maybe? If daddy turned into a neptin too. I hope I’m making him proud where ever he is. Just like him!”

“What do you mean?” Jade cautiously inquired. Nightwing smiled and shifted, getting ready to tell a story.

“You see, mah daddy was a consu… consil… um… I know this… counsellor. Yep. A real good one too. Helped tons of people. Real good leader.” He frowned there and sighed. “‘Cept when it came to family. Never could find the right words then. Tied up before being ‘the man of the family’ and helping. Heh. Always said he was great at helping everyone but his imm’diate family. We got into so much arguments. He was a lot like his dad too. Never would admit it though…”

Jade was having trouble following Nightwing’s somewhat slurred ramblings, but she was getting most of it. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well, Jade was all sad cause I reminded her about her family, but I missed it up and made it all worse. So see? I’m just like daddy. Got all these big aideas and think I’m awesum and ‘tuff, but when it comes down to it… I just mess everything up! Can’t do the right things right. The im-importan’ ones. Just the stupid ‘tuff.” Robin snagged another bottle in his hooves and was about to take another drink, but Jade knocked it away.

“No!” Jade declared as the beer spilled on the floor. She hesitated at Nightwing’s expression. “No… you’ve had enough, okay?”

“Noo! I wuz gonna drink dat!” Robin whined. He made to reach down and lap it up, but Jade shouldered him aside.

“You’re already all confused! You don’t need more!” Jade insisted. “Maybe some water?”

“Confused? No! Yur confused! I’m a perfectly elo… eloquence bat house. Horse. Pony. Um, strawberry. No, alategus! My words are like… like honey dripping syrup! You’re not making sense!”

Jade groaned. “Just… what did you mean you messed up?”

“Huh? I messed up? Oh, right… that…” His ears dropped and he looked off to the side at a random spot on the wall. “I wanted her to stay. I wanted to take care of her. She was the only person I met. I was talking to everythins from ma phones to the washing machine. Still talk to my phone, but… I… I was gonna ask her if I could be her brother, at leas’ till her family come back…”

“You… were?”

“But screwed that up I did! Like a tart! Hah. Bet she’s off laughing right now. Like I could be anyone’s brothers. I’d just screw them over.”

“No… I think you’d be a good brother…”

“Pah. I’m just an dumby. Mr. McDumdum that thinks he knows things. I tried to find her, you know? Drove to Odessa and back… then some deer made me crash. See? Even more reasons why I suck.” He waved a hoof again. “Deer…”

“You…. Drove to Odessa?” And he crashed? Looking for her? Jade was starting to feel extremely guilty. “Why?”

“Want to tell Jade sorry…” With a sigh, Nightwing slumped to the ground. He started crying silently again. “Didn’t find her. Just I don’t even deserve that much I guess. Like daddy like sonny. Me and daddy got into a fight too. About two weeks ago now. Always wants me to go back to school. Do like a mas’sers. Was real stupid though. We norm’ly make up affa’a bit. Nope. Everyone gone! Never even gotta say sorry for that neither. But now he’s gone. Him and mommy… So just me. Just me since I ran Jade off. Great huh?”

“Jeeze, Nightwing… I never…”

“But… I think I’m… just… tried doing stuff to keep going. Can’t dwell on thinks you can’t change. Wanna leave a note for them. Was gonna have Jade leave one but… but I’m tired… so… I’mma nap…”

Jade shifted nervously. She hadn’t though he would do all that just because she ran off, but looking at the broken Nightwing… She headed to the sink and after getting the step stool, carefully filled a bowl with water and, spilling a little on the way, set it beside him. He blinked and looked up at her.

“Wha..?”

“Just drink some water too, okay?” she asked. He nodded and she sighed.


Um… hi? I’m not really sure how Nightwing does this. I never really paid attention when he did. But… This is Jade, and I’m recording this because Nightwing’s way too out of it to do it. He didn’t take me running off well. I don’t know what he did, but the van’s all messed up and he really needs a shower. He passed out in the kitchen from drinking too much. Jeeze, he started drinking.

Sheesh… But… um…

I took a look at what he did before and I’m sorry I read your diary, but I needed to know, and now I feel really bad.

I’m sorry I ran off before you could explain fully. I… I kinda like the idea of you being my brother. I guess I can…
*muffed noise in the background*

Um… It’s weird doing this. I… I… I can’t do this here!


Some indeterminate time after Jade gave up on the diary entry, a hoof nudged her awake. She blinked blearily at Nightwing, who still smelled strongly of beer and was a mess from the mud now dried and caked into his fur, on top of the messy way it was from being soaked in the rain and now dried off poorly.

“Whadduya want?” She moaned, not wanting to wake up. It sounded like it was still raining and it was still dark.

“I’mma go fly and stuff!”

“Okay…” Jade mumbled, rolling over. Hoofsteps trotted out of the room, and it was a few moments before her drowsy thoughts processed what he said. Her eyes snapped open. “WHAT?”

Nightwing was struggling through the window, having somehow gotten the screen out when Jade found him. She tried to snag his tail, but just missed it. It was still raining and gusting outside, but he still managed to stumble to the edge of the sloped roof, mane and tail whipping in the wind.

“What are you doing!?” Jade demanded, afraid to climb out after him.

“I’m a mighty alategus! I shall use these wings to the glory of the queen!”

“What are you talking about? That doesn’t make and se- NIGHTWING!”

Nightwing had carefully backed up as she spoke before ‘running’ towards the edge of the roof and leaping off with his wings spread wide and flapping, heedless of her yell.

For whatever reason, maybe a fluke or random chance, perhaps something to do with the sharp updraft the positioning of the houses caused when the gusts tried to go around them, Nightwing actually flew. It was hard for Jade to make out exactly, but she could see his salmon mane and tail as his body rose higher then his starting point, wings cupping the powerful gust, and rode it out and away.

His momentous and glorious achievement was short lived though, as he only got enough distance to clear most of the front yard before he crashed into the pine tree with loud and nonsensical swearing.

She raced downstairs, almost tripping on the way down, and hurried outside. Dax, woken by her rush, followed excitedly. The two found Nightwing up in the tree struggling weakly against the branches that had his legs and wings splayed out in awkward positions. He whimpered plaintively.

“NIGHTWING! Are you okay!?” Jade yelled up to him over Dax’s barking.

“I hit the tree…” drifted down at them.

“But are you okay?”

“I’m stuck…” he whined back, struggling again. Jade sighed.


“That was the stupidest thing you ever did!” Jade all but yelled at Robin as he sat dejectedly on the bathroom mat. The crash had done a lot to help sober him up, and the cold spray from the hose Jade hit him with had done a lot to clear most of the rest of his head. True, he was still groggy and muddled of thought, but he had at least been coherent enough to work with her rather than against her efforts to help him down from the tree and into the house.

After that she stuck him in the shower to finally get him cleaned up, with special attention to the worse of his cuts and double checking that he hadn’t broken anything. She was working on dressing them now that he was mostly clean and somewhat dry. It was just fortunate she had taken her school’s first aid class. She paused and pointed. “Left wing out!”

“Sorry…” Robin whimpered and he did what she commanded. Whimpers turned to hisses as she went over everything with peroxide and antiseptic creams. While he hadn’t broken anything, a fortunate thing considering how light and thin the bones in his wings were, his membranes had been pretty well scratched by the branches. And that wasn’t counting the injuries on the rest of his body.

Jade worked silently, and didn’t speak again until she was half way through the right wing. “I’m sorry too…”

“For what? I’m the idiot here…”

“You’re not!” Jade snapped. Robin yelped when she inadvertedly pressed too hard on one of the deeper cuts. “Sorry. You’re not an idiot. I had to listen to you drunk rant about it earlier.”

“I’m never drinking again…”Robin groaned.

“It was kinda funny.”

“Headache's not worth it… though I don’t know what’s from the drinking or the crash…” They lapsed into silence again.

“Yes,” Jade said, breaking it.

“What?”

“I said… um… yes. I’ll be your little sister… if you still want me to, I mean.” Her voice was soft and meek, and she looked away, blushing slightly.

“I… really?” Robin stammered after a moment.

“I… I didn’t think about you missing your family… I… how old are you?”

“Twenty four…”

“I… I didn’t think about how you were feeling… cause you always looked so busy and like an adult… So… I know you said you wanna be my big brother and watch out for me, but can I be your little sister and watch out for you?”

Robin’s eyes watered and he nodded. Mindful of his injuries, he pulled her in close for a hug, one that she returned gratefully, and they cried silently together over lost bonds and new ones.

Lightning flashed again, and the clap of thunder quickly followed, but there was a second resounding whump that seemed to rattle the windows and even set off a car alarm. Even with the sound of the rain Robin could somewhat make out a rumble that seemed to linger far longer than the typical thunder would. They had both flinched and look up in surprise as the sound, but it didn’t seem as if much else was happening in the aftermath.

“We can figure what it was out in the morning,” Robin yawned, the entirety of the day crashing down on him again. The nap he had while he drunk had not done much to chip at the massive lump of fatigue he carried. “Sleep now…”

The yawn was infection and Jade was soon yawning as well. She was still pretty tired herself. “Yeah, sleep sounds good.”

They shared Robin’s bed. Jade claimed it was so she could be around in case he woke up and did something stupid again, but in truth, they both faced their loneliness that day and needed the presence of the other as a comfort and reassurance. Part of it was possibly from what they were. Ponies, rather neptins, were herd creatures, even more so than humans were and did well with the support of others. Trouble was a bit disgruntled that his regular spot under Robin’s wing was claimed, but curled up on his back instead. Rocket and Dax found space on the bed as well.

It was one of the best night’s rest either one had in days.

Author's Note:

Okay... I think I finished up the drama feels. Writing feels is hard. Writing drunk ponies is harder. Sheesh. I'm so glad Robin's swearing off alcohol after this. Anyway, the Drama Feels also marks the end of the first arc for Limestone City Bat. The next few chapters will be shorter, quite likely mainly just journal entries rather than Journal/Story chapters before going into the next planned arc. We'll see what some of Robin's more ambitious plans for his fair city will amount to.

Drunk people... never again...

Oh, right. Just further evidence that Deer can be dicks. Think they own the road... Just be glad it wasn't a moose Robin.