• Published 19th May 2012
  • 12,218 Views, 484 Comments

The Rule of King Cocoon of the Changelings - Hooves Like Jagger



A human finds himself in Equestria as the monarch of a changeling swarm.

  • ...
67
 484
 12,218

12th: Fight/Flight

The Rule of King Cocoon of the Changelings

I have a question for you: have I been asking for this? Did it seem like somewhere deep inside me all I wanted was to tear the lives of Equestrian citizens asunder? Hasn't all my aggression been in my own defense? Haven't I refrained from losing control and acting out? Did I mean to bring war to Equestria?

I'd like to see Discord tell me that this is order. I'd really love for him to justify all this. I can't do it. I can't put a positive spin on this. I don't see a silver lining on this cloud. I can't see a light at the end of a tunnel. If I win, I lose any chance I have at forming an alliance with the citizens of Equestria. If I lose, I'm dead.

Once again, I've been unwillingly and suddenly thrown into a situation where there is no right decision to make. Ponies will die, changelings will die, and I might die. This isn't a back alley brawl. This isn't a skirmish I can run away from. This is an all out war.

The Equestrian forces have several distinct advantages. They've got airships, four of them to be exact. They no doubt have competent commanders on board those airships, ready to evaluate the situation and issue proper orders. Each and every one of their soldiers is well trained, well fed, and well motivated.

In order to determine what our advantages might be, I find myself in an impromptu audience with the Hive Minds in the main hall of the castle.

"Based on the reports we're receiving, we do not possess the swarm power for a full frontal assault," one of the changelings informs me. My eyes dart to the activity taking place right outside the castle windows. The air is even thicker with buzzing as changelings scramble to prepare for the coming battle. From what Chrysalis explained to me back in Appleloosa during one of our many lessons, they were waking up the mindless drones so they could fly out and attack.

Drones wake up hungry, so their first instinct is to go feed. The drones that manage to feed and survive the battle will live on and become smarter, self-aware scouts. The Hive Minds were not optimistic about the chances of many drones surviving.

"This is going to hurt us, your majesty," I am warned. "Our numbers will not last a drawn out battle."

"Okay, so we'll just have to end it quick. Any ideas?" The seven Hive Minds just stared blankly up at me.

"That's not really their area," Chrysalis buzzed up and whispered in my ear.

"Excuse me." Our entire company turns and cranes our necks to look at the scout standing at a rigid salute behind me. "We've got confirmed identities of the Equestrian Airships."

"Well, feel free to fill us in," I implore him. The changeling nods and bows, something I wish they'd just stop doing. I think in an urgent situation, formalities can be dropped for the sake of efficiency.

"Yes, your majesty. The airship company is as follows: Snow Singer of the Forty Third Pegasus Troop, Cherished Victory of the Fifteenth Unicorn Brigade, and Cradle III for the General Infantry. Their flagship is The Queen Harmony of the Royal Guard." I take a moment to process the information. I recognize the group of unicorns and the group of pegasi that Lou lead and I assume General Infantry is just a term for regular earth pony ground forces. I can't pin down what the last one might be.

"Queen Harmony, the Royal Guard? Aren't they all royal guards?" I ask, turning to Chrysalis and the Hive Minds. Before I get an answer, I take note of the concerned looks on the faces of the Hive Minds. Chrysalis suddenly flies up in my face and locks eyes with me.

"The Queen Harmony isn't just the flagship out there, but the flagship for the entirety of the Equestrian Royal Army! Do you know what that means?" she yells.

"... Uh... we're in trouble?" I guess.

"Big trouble. That airship doesn't go up without permission from Celestia herself and it's always crawling with elites! You do realize that Celestia herself could be on board!"

My blood goes cold as I take an involuntary breath. I just stare at Chrysalis as she glares back at me. I don't see her. All I can see is the bright sun glaring against the desert sands. All I can feel is the hot, dry wind raking across my face. If Celestia awaits outside the Hive, this isn't a fight for us but a walk to the scaffold. We're going to be crushed like bugs.

"Negative, your majesty. We have already confirmed Celestia is not aboard the Queen Harmony." All at once I reclaim my bodily functions and set my train of thoughts back into its tracks.

"Are you sure?" Chrysalis questions the scout.

"Absolutely. She was not present among the commanders on deck."

"Not on deck with the commanders? She is pretty hooves-on... I guess she wouldn't sit out of a strategy meeting," she confirms, burying the last of my anxieties about squaring off against Equestria's monarch. I heave a sigh and compose myself before turning back to the Hive Minds.

"Would I be right to guess we don't have an airship?"

"Yes, your majesty. Our previous flagship was destroyed in Canterlot," a Hive Mind explained. I'm not sure what I would want to do with it if we had one, but I'd feel like our forces were more prepared to fight if we had one.

With all the cards on the table, I could surmise only one viable strategy.

"Alright, all the Equestrian forces want is the return of one prisoner. They probably don't want to sustain too many casualties over one pony, so we've got to punch a hole in them to make them lose the will to fight. We've got to do it before they find out we don't have the resources for a drawn-out battle. There's only one way I can see us achieving that goal: we've got to cripple their flagship. I don't really care how it's done, but that ship has to decide to turn back. If we can send it down, that'd work too, but I have my doubts about that actually happening. Are my orders clear?" Fourteen wings flare and seven hooves rise into sharp salutes.

"Yes, your majesty!" All seven of the Hive Minds answer in unison.

"Then go!" I command them. Without another bow or utterance of a pleasantry, they take off. As I watch them go, I feel Chrysalis alight upon my head. "Looks like it's time to go see Baal."

"What for?" she grumbled.

"What for? My armor, of course. I need every advantage I can get," I inform her.

"You're going out there... to fight?"

"Of course I am! What did you expect me to do?" I ask her.

"... Good point. I'm going with you." I don't bother arguing with her this time. No hero can go into battle without their annoying sidekick. Well, I guess they can, but it's just not the same.

The descent into Tartarus is just as dark as I remember it. When I reach the bottom of the darkest of darks, the bonfires ignite and illuminate Baal's graveyard of a forge. I'm surprised to see there is actually a large number of live changelings accompanying him.

"Hey Baal, did you hear the news?" I try and start off on a light note, but an eight-eyed glare tells me my humor isn't well timed.

"Even the otherworldly King makes light of war. I presume you didn't come here for idle prattle." I feign a cough and nod. "Before I arm you, you must be made aware of what exactly will happen when you put on this armor. This is not a coat of metal forged from foreign metals. This is not something that is separate from you. This armor shares your DNA and, as long as you wear it, it will be an extension of your body... no, truly a part of your body. Wearing it means you will burn more energy than usual and the armor's benefits will be outweighed by that fact if it is worn for extended periods of time without feeding."

"What are the benefits?" I hesitate to ask, but only because I just want to get on with it and see what the armor looks like.

"You will be more resistant to damage, your strength will triple, and your body's magical efficiency will rise dramatically," Baal explains.

"Magical efficiency?" I question. Chrysalis gets her answer in before Baal can reply.

"You will be able to do more with less magic."

"Oh... so I'll be literally more efficient at using magic?"

"That is correct." Baal raises one of his massive legs, signaling the changelings around me to jump into action. Without a word of warning, a group of them hoists me a few feet off the ground. Others begin swarming me, holding pieces of steely blue metal with them. "Other than the armor draining your energy, there are a few other setbacks. You'll be much to heavy to fly on your own and transforming will be impossible?"

"I can't really fly already, but no transforming?" I protest as a changeling tears off my vest. "Whoa, whoa! Watch it!" I reprimand him, but the entire group of them just continues working. I watch as they clamp the first pieces of ridged armor to my feet.

"Not impossible, but the sheer amount of magical energy required to change such a rigid, magical construction makes it impractical. A changeling's body is magically unstable by nature, so think of using this armor as a way to 'stablize'." By now the changelings have outfitted me from sabaton to fauld. They clamp a ridged cuirass sporting six green gemstones onto my torso.

Already I can feel the change taking place. I feel heavier, but lighter in a sense. Heavier because I'm bigger and bulkier, but lighter because I'm much, much stronger. When the changelings slip to cocoon-like gauntlets over my arms, the transformation feels practically complete. My actual hands fade from my senses. Instead, I find I'm able to wiggle the jagged fingers at the end of my gauntlets as if they were my own fingers. I can feel magic pulse through them which each breath I take.

True completion only arrives when my helmet is placed on my head. With it's wide brim and bug-like antennas, I didn't think its placement on my head would change much. As soon as it was on though, I felt the rest of my helmet extend itself and wrap around my face with several tendrils ending with teeth. A visor descended from the helmet and covered my eyes. The physical transformation wasn't even the most dramatic part.

As soon as the helmet clamped its own "mouth" over mine, we began to breath as one being. I used breathing as a means to control my magic, but with the addition of the armor my breathing and my magic became intertwined on an extremely intimate level. I breathed in magic and I exhaled it. Magic cycled through ever ounce of my body. As the armor drew out my magic, it brought the deepest and most inaccessible parts of it right to the surface. I thought that if I sneezed, I would explode.

"That's... that's quite the change."

"It's a little frightening, isn't it?" Chrysalis asks, flying up so I can look at her face to face.

"Honestly, yeah." I'll admit it: I was super psyched up until the point the changelings actually started putting the armor on me. The prospect of going to war, going to battle, became all too real. I've had altercations before, but this is nothing like those. If I knock a pegasus out of the sky, I'll still have hundreds more to deal with. If I blast a unicorn away, several more will try to blast me. I've said it so many times, but now it's not just something I've said.

I have to go out there and fight.

"Let's do this before I lose the nerve." On my command, I'm plunged back into darkness as the changelings swarm me. The trip to the surface happens all to quickly. The changelings part, allowing me to see the battle unfolding over the desert.

"... Dang." I can curse only once before the sights and sounds render me speechless. Gold and black clash against one another in every packet of airspace available. Flocks of pegasi attempt again and again to get into the airspace directly above and around the Hive, but the high concentration of changelings right over the pit is making it nearly impossible. The four airships are advancing towards the opening at a cautious pace. Unlike when I saw them earlier, each ship has a protective barrier surrounding it. Even without the barriers, the density of pegasi near the ships is obviously impeding any changeling attempt to break through.

The battle has only just begun, and there is no clear sign as to who will be victorious. I know that time is not on our side, so I'll have to act quickly.

"Your majesty!" I'm surprised to see Bloodbuzz hovering just a few feet from me with two other changeling captains. "Our swarms are having trouble getting to The Queen Harmony. Equestrian forces are too heavily focused in the surrounding airspace and the barrier is exceedingly powerful. What are you orders?" I wrack my brain for orders.

"Which ship has the fewest pegasi around it?"

"Cherished Victory, your majesty; however, there are a large number of unicorns on board."

"We've got to force the pegasi around the Queen Harmony to split and aid the Cherished Victory. I don't know if it will work, but taking down the Cherished Victory couldn't hurt our chances either. Take me to it."

"Yes, your majesty!" Bloodbuzz and his two associates throw me a set of salutes. As the swarm carrying me begins to move towards the battle. I feel like I've just stepped onto a rollercoaster. I've got a knot in my stomach the size of Texas. I have to calm down. I close my eyes and just focus on my breathing.

"Pegasi incoming!" My eyes snap open at Bloodbuzz's exclamation. My panic spikes. I reach out with my hand and let out a primal roar. Even I'm blinded momentarily by the literal thunderstorm that erupts from my palm. When I'm able to see again, I don't see any pegasi. I look down, but all I see is a blanket of changelings. I'm made aware of exactly how many changelings are in my company, and it's a heck of a lot of changelings.

"Excellent work, your majesty." I'm not sure who said it, but I'm congratulated on my attack. I hadn't meant to do anything. I'm not even sure what I did.

Actually, I know what I did: I attacked the enemy. I attacked them and took them out. I'm not sure if they're dead, dying, or wishing for death. My brain tells me to feel some sort of remorse, but my own selfish desire to survive is able to override my conscious. Mourning and regret can follow this battle.

"Your majesty, we are over the Cherished Victory! What are your orders?" I take a cautious look straight down, confirming that we are right above the enormous aircraft.

"How do we get through the barrier? Just break it?"

"Yes, your majesty. Should we scatter the swarm and send some drones down to work on penetration?" I take a look around the airspace. Pegasi are already circling underneath our ebony cloud. I only have one crazy idea.

"Keep the pegasi off of me. I'm going to see what this armor can do." I step off my platform and into the air before I lose my nerve. I've fallen once or twice before, but never like this. As I fall towards the ship, streaks of gold, white, black, and green fly all around me. The translucent barrier draws closer to me, protecting the white zeppelin like an egg protects its yoke.

I hoist my hands skyward and clench them together. I concentrate and begin gathering energy into them, a task I accomplish with extreme ease. I feel the massive waves of energy try and escape from between my fingers and I end up using more of my concentration to keep the swelling mass of electric energy from blowing me to pieces. It's far more energy than I've ever had to hold on to, and I begin losing control. A breach in my concentration causes a leak of energy in the form of a flame-like explosion that throws me into an aerial somersault. Everything turns into a blur as I tumble aimlessly through the air.

For a brief second, I hit something fists first. There's a green flash, the sound of glass shattering, and then more falling. This fall, while extremely chaotic, did not last near as long. I crashed right onto my back. I lay there, for a second or two, just looking up at the trajectory of my journey. The whole thing probably lasted fifteen seconds in all, but that was still enough time to see my life flash before my eyes.

The skies above me are still filled with fighting, but there is a gaping hole in the barrier around the Cherished Victory. After realizing that Baal wasn't kidding when he said I'm nearly indestructible now, I stiffly get up and dust myself off. I wish I could say the fall didn't hurt, but an impact that makes a dent in a solid,steel surface is bound to damage whatever made it.

"Don't move changeling scum!" Despite the warning, I go ahead and turn around to face the armored unicorn who had just called me out. He is accompanied by more guards than I care to count. "Surrender or die!" I've got a bit of a headache from landing so hard, so having somepony yell at me is not at all what I want right now.

"You do know who you're talking to... right? I'm a King of sorts."

"King Cocoon the Liar!" one of the guards shouts.

"Alright buddy, I really don't like that name."

"You're a liar and a thief!" another guard yells.

"King Cocoon, taker of mares and destroyer of towns!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! At least one of those is completely unfounded," I retort.

"He never spares anypony his wrath!" The guards begin to close in on me.

"You're right! We shouldn't extend him that same courtesy!"

"Down with the Liar!" somepony shouts. I grip my ringing head with a hand.

"End his cruel rule!" another one yells.

"Burn him!"

"Squash him!"

"Kill him!"

"Shut up!" The simple act of swiping my claws towards them as I yell brings forth a stupendous result. Each of my fingers throws out a gout of searing, green flames. Flames sweep entire deck of the Cherished Victory and knock the approaching unicorns off their hooves and away from me. The aftermath of the attack leaves me as the only thing standing on the deck. I stare down at the ghastly scorch mark my spell left.

I focus for a moment and gauge how much energy I have left. Appleloosa left me with the largest store of energy I ever gathered, but between attacking those pegasi, breaking the barrier, the stunt I'd just pulled, and the suits constant drain I wad down to only half of what I originally had.

"I can't be so reckless," I mumble to myself.

"Hey!" I turn about and see a familiar face fluttering down towards me.

"Hey, PC! Where have you been?" I ask her, putting on an air that I was perfectly okay. She grunted and glared right through me.

"I got tangled up in the swarm. I just managed to escape when I saw you just jump off like a complete idiot! You're supposed to let the swarm do the stupid, dangerous stuff!"

"Speaking of the swarm, where are they? Why haven't they come through the hole yet?"

"Don't move changeling scum!" Before I can get an answer, we're interrupted by yet another unicorn guard. Chrysalis sets up shop on top of my helmet and speaks to me.

"The swarm can't get to it! When the Queen Harmony's forces saw you attacking, they sent a more pegasi to assist."

"Cool! My plan worked!" I cheer. Chrysalis pounds my helmet with a little hoof, an act that sends a rattle of pain through my poor brain.

"You may have helped our chances at getting at the Queen Harmony, but now you are stuck on this tub!" Chrysalis points out.

"Stand down changeling!"

"Might as well make the best of a bad situation. Let's see if we can't turn the Cherished Victory into No Victory." I pluck Chrysalis from my head and free her into the air. "Go get someone in charge and tell them what I'm up to."

"Hey, are you listening to me!" the unicorn at the other end of the deck shouts. I extend my hand and take a cautious breath, causing electricity to jump from finger to finger.

"You want me to go back out there alone?" Chrysalis complains.

"You got here just fine, I'm willing to bet you'll get out just fine. Now hurry and go," I command her as I face the guard and the ship's entrance. I concentrate hard, keeping the dancing electricity at a tame level.

"Fine, but I'm coming right back once I get help!"

With her final, determined declaration, she buzzes off towards the hole in the barrier. I stride towards the guard, who despite all his yelling hasn't sprung into action yet. When I get closer, he shies away and bars the doorway that leads down into the ship's hull.

"Uh-uh hum... su-surrender?" he stutters. While I try to riddle out why he hasn't turned tail and screamed for help, he swallows hard. "L-look... I'm just here t-to fix the barrier. I don't want trouble..."

"I can relate." The energy in my hand leaps out and strikes the poor guard. He flashes green and sparks once before grunting and falling to the ground. With the one obstacle out of my way, I duck down and descend the stairs into the depths of the ship. "Whoa, fancy."

The interior of the ship is furnished like a palace. Between the red carpet and the marble pillars, it's like a flying palace. It even comes complete with guards.

"Get all free hooves up here! Protect the Commander! Let's move!" Unicorn guard after unicorn guard begins filing into the hallway. Before I can formulate a plan of action, I'm staring down at least ten charged horns.

"... Okay, this hardly seems fair."

"Fire!" The gold and blue flash nearly blinds me. I only have enough time to put up my arms in defense. The magic hits my armored forearms like a barrage of dodge-balls. I can feel the large amount of magical energy that's flying at me, but warding it off is a simple task. The assault is relentless, but I take an experimental step forward.

I can't understand the unicorns over the din of their attacks, but I can hear somepony barking off more orders. I feel shots impact my legs as they try and stop my advancing, but I still press on. I spread my forearms enough to look through and determine that I'm not too far from the line of attacking unicorns. Sensing that I'm in no immediate danger, I extend a finger and let a bolt of energy jump onto one of the unicorns in the front line. After dropping the first unicorn, I extend my entire right arm and allow a chorus of bolts to leap forth. The fire fight continues as fresh unicorns replace the ones I retire, but the tides were looking more in my favor.

"Hold him off boys!" the unicorn in charge shouts. "Put up a barrier! Don't let him through!" As ordered, the guards switch tactics. The front line puts up a golden shield while half the back line reaches out with their magic to halt my progress. I try and zap their barrier away, but every bolt just glances off. Their attempts to stop me, however, are not as successful. "Stop him, stop him!" the head guard shouts as I get close enough to put my hand on their barrier. I give it a few experimental knocks.

"Don't worry, I'll let myself in." I pull my right arm back and take a deep breath in through my nose. One sharp exhale later, the barrier grows a spiderweb crack under my fist. In one more fluid motion, I slam the same spot with a left jab. The magical barrier shatters like a pane of glass, creating a fist sized hole.

"Everypony on the barrier! Keep him out!" The firing and the pushing come to a sudden stop, but the barrier's hole starts to close up at an alarming rate.

"Not happening!" I stick my claws through what's left of the hole and pull. My intention was to pull the hole apart, but I end up slicing a tear right through the golden wall with each of my fingers. Even more of the barrier falls to shreds and I continue slashing at the openings.

"No, no, no!" I lift my foot and step through the barrier. The unicorns try and close the barrier around me as I come through, but as soon as my hand crosses over their fates are sealed.

"That's enough out of you," I gripe before taking a pot shot at the unicorn in charge. The rest of the unicorns are thrown into a panic, but not as much of one as I'd hoped.

"Let's get him!" Their organized assault turns into a chaotic charge. The gutsiest, or stupidest, of the guards charges ahead of the others with his long horn pointed at me. All it takes is one right cross to redirect his charge into the wall. I backhand the next charger with the same hand before soldier kicking him right in the chest. The crowd of unicorns grows denser behind their fallen comrades.

"For Celestia!" somepony shouts, prompting two unicorns to charge right at me in tandem. I reach out and slam their helmets together before they reach me, but the attack allows a third unicorn to get around to my left flank. The armored stallion bucks me good right in the side, an attack that sends me crashing into one of the marble pillars.

My armor keeps the blow from crushing me, but I still have to jump out of the way as two more unicorns try to impale me with their horns. The first bangs his head into the pillar, leaving me to stop his friend with a side kick to the left side of his face. I keep my leg up and thrust the sword of my foot into the unicorn who had failed to hit me, toppling him into another stallion before he could charge me.

The pony who managed to buck me reappears next to me, but this time I notice him before he can crush me against the wall. I manage to step out out of the way before his armored hooves slam into me, so I seize the opportunity and tuck his hind legs into my side with my right arm. I give him a sharp chop to the back of the head before letting him slump onto the floor.

I glance around the hallway. Unicorns have managed to gather on both my exit route and my route forward. There are still a lot of them and not many of me. Now would be a great time for changelings to come storming in all of a sudden, but the general lack of buzzing in my ears told me that wasn't going to happen in time. Instead, I traced the path of my breath in with my hands, cradling the air just below my shoulders.

"What's he doing?" somepony asks before I thrust my palms towards either end of the hallway and release my breath. Twin tongues of fire leap from my hands, turning the entire hallway into a green furnace. In the ensuing chaos, I make a dash down the hallway. The unicorns unfortunate enough to end up directly in my path are knocked aside or kicked down while they try to figure out what had just happened. I get out of the initial hallway and arrive at the first fork in my path.

"Okay... if I were an airship Commander, where would I hole up?" There's a placard in front of me with arrows on me, but I can't read what it says. Chrysalis managed to teach me a little about Equestrian language back in Appleloosa, but I could do little more than identify letters of their alphabet. "I go... down... maybe? I wish I had a better sign than this."

"There he is!" I look down the right fork as one of three guards shouts in my direction.

"Works for me," I grumble before dashing down the hallway to meet them. The first one takes a shot at me, so I hug the left wall to avoid getting hit. The unicorns run at me in a "V" formation, still shouting all about how they're going to take me down. I snare the end of the V closest to me by grabbing him by his cuirass. I guide the galloping stallion in an arc and slam him right into the wall, but I end up with my back turned to his friends. Both stallions barge their shoulders into me and smash me into the wall. The impact jars me and makes my headache return in full force. With a grunt of effort, I push off the wall and out from in between the the two guards. Before they can turn about, I grab them around the necks and shove them into the wall. They slump over and join their groaning friend on the floor.

I continue my journey through the innards of the Cherished Victory. As I get closer and closer to my destination, I encounter more and more guards. Each skirmish finishes a little faster and I get out with fewer scratches. I'm getting used to being in the armor, and I'm glad for it too. As I toss aside a shrieking guard, I stare down the mahogany doors that stand between me and the Commander of the Cherished Victory. The same pony who lead the unicorn group that supposedly had been hoof picked by Celestia herself to impede my shenanigans. If I add this pony to Lou and Summitplunge, I will have the trifecta of ponies who want me dead. I really wished my swarm was around to back me up.

"I guess it's time for another meet and greet with a sworn enemy." I compose myself before kicking in the door and storming into the room. "Alright! Let's settle... this?"

"AaaaaAaaah! D-d-d-don't come any closer, p-please!" I blink once or twice to make sure the unicorn I'm looking at is really the unicorn I think it is. There, hiding behind a bar in full, golden regalia, is Prince Blueblood. "I-if you hurt me, y-you will hear from my aunts!" His threat, while juvenile and cowardly, did strike a chord with me. I magic the door shut and lock it.

"Yikes, I didn't finger you as the military type Blueblood. What brings you to the hunt to kill me?" I ask him. He ducks even further behind the bar.

"I-I-I don't care what you do in backwater towns like Appleloosa or Manehattan! As long as you st-stay out of my mane!" He squeals a bit when the ship lurches momentarily.

"Fair enough, but you're here to get my prisoner back anyway. You lead the Fifteenth Unicorn Brigade, right?" Blueblood's shaky head nods. "That means you're part of this wacky Anti-Changeling force Lou and Princess Celestia put together. Care to explain?"

"It wasn't my idea! You have to believe me!" he pleads. "Auntie insisted I get some 'real' combat experience, so she thought helping that madmare would be a good experience!"

"... So... you're telling me you and all your little soldiers don't get out much?" All it took was one nod of the Prince's head to make me realize how I'd just stormed this entire airship by my lonesome: Prince Blueblood and his cronies are a bunch of pushovers. "I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Cherished Victory hasn't seen even a narrow victory."

"No! We've been in some principle battles!" Blueblood says. I pokes his head up from hiding only momentarily. "We were... there," he says in retreat. The terms "PX Rangers" and "beer hall budomen" came to mind.

"Well, I didn't come here to discuss your military prowess. The barrier around the ship, put it down." Blueblood shrank behind his hiding spot until I could only see his horn.

"...N-no..."

"Excuse me? Was that a 'no?'" I plodded over to where he was and slammed by hands onto the bar. The ship rocked once more, this time with enough vigor to send a few bottles of liquor crashing onto the floor and spilling their crimson contents across the floor. Blueblood didn't respond, or at least I don't think he responded. Somewhere in his whimpering there may have been a reply, but I couldn't hear it.

"Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat." I reached out and touched the end of Blueblood's horn with my index finger. After a moment's exploration of his mind, I cast my spell and bind him to my will. The ease with which the task is complete is indicative of his stupidity. At least the results are instantaneous. Blueblood gets up and stands at attention. Now that he's serious, he almost looks intimidating.

"Alrighty, now let's get tha-" Before I can finish my order, the ship rocks more violently than ever. I had chalked it up to nothing before, but now I want to know what's going on. "Are there windows in here? I want to see what's going on!" With a flick of his horn, Blueblood raises all the curtains in the room and allows me to get a very good view of what's going on outside.

"Hey Blueblood, what does that say?"

"Cradle III." I just stared out at the enormous airship looming just outside the window. The barriers around the Cradle III and the Cherished Victory had somehow become intertwined with one another. At the point of intersection, the they opened up into one another without opening up to the outside. Changelings swarmed around the outside, but I watched as pegasi streamed in through the hole.

"Aww, shrimp! Blueblood! Put the barrier down!" No sooner had I ordered it than Blueblood made it so. I watched as white fissures spread across the translucent, blue surface until the whole thing shattered. In place of the blue, black began to swarm in. "Ah-ha! Progress!"

I wasn't celebrating for very long. As pegasi and changelings clashed in the air, I noticed a peculiar group of pegasi approaching the windows at high speed. As I looked closer, I noticed both pegasi were carrying a pony each with them.

"... Hey Blueblood, how sturdy are these windows?" Before Blueblood could answer, a shot of silver and a shot of blue impacted the window and shattered it. I jumped backwards as a troop of familiar faces swooped into the room.

"... Okay, what the heck are you?" Summitplunge points a hoof in my direction.

"Oh, come now Plunger. Don't you recognize your old buddy King Cocoon?" I asked. I turned back and called to Blueblood. "We have company Blueblood. Pour the cognac!"

"Cut the manure, Cocoon. Either surrender or allow us to kill you," Lou says, her cape flowing in the wind.

"Why hurry? You have time, I have time, let's play a little catch-up." I held out my hand as Blueblood levitated a glass of amber liquid into my hand. "I see that leg of yours healed up awfully nice Summitplunge. It's hard for me to believe you're so keen on getting injured again."

"It'll be different this time," he replied. I shifted my gaze over to the other unicorn in the room.

"What's the matter Quickdraw? Got tired of Appleloosa? Joined the army? Nice armor by the way."

"Where's Sweet Tea?" the stallion asked.

"It would be better if you just forgot about her." I turned my attention to the other pegasus in the room. "Alright, who's bug eyes over here?" The armored stallion, who had just been staring at me wide-eyed the whole time, snapped back to attention.

"Sparrow... I'm Sparrow." I looked him over a little more. Unlike the other pegasi, he wasn't white coated and blue maned. Instead, he was red coated with a distinctive, orange mane.

"So, Sparrow, is this like your initiation into the 'We Hate Cocoon Club'? What brings you here?" He hesitates before he answers to look me up and down a few more times. "Well?"

"I'm here with the Royal Guard!" he exclaimed. I noted the spear fashioned to his back.

"I see. What about me has got your feathers rustled? Or perhaps you're just a true Equestrian patriot." Sparrow hesitates once more, scanning me once more. He finally shakes his head and gives me a stern look.

"I love Equestria." The three words are carefully articulated. "I can't let you endanger it."

"You see, that's where your knowledge is flawed!" I throw down the glass in my hand. It shatters and stains the carpet. "I'm not a danger to Equestria; I'm here for Equestria's benefit!"

"You're completely off your rocker," Summitplunge says. I just shrug.

"Anyone in my position would go a little crazy," I reply.

"I've had just about enough of you." Lou takes a step towards me. "You're no more beneficial for Equestria than Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, or Discord. As an agent of disharmony and chaos, it's our duty as Celestia's servants to return things to normal."

"Fine, you want normal?" I ask. I clap my hands, summoning Blueblood to my side. "I'll tell you what normal is! Normal is when a group of foolish ponies attacks the Changeling Hive and subsequently get pummeled by the Changeling King!"

I don't screw around with my first strike. As I slash the air before me, fire jumps from each of my fingertips to create searing streaks of green energy. The four ponies split, avoiding the wall of fire however they can. Summitplunge manages to corkscrew through a gap in my attack and fly at me head on. I though I was about to get pegasi'd in the face, but a bolt of blue from Blueblood knocked the pegasus askew.

Even after that close call, I didn't have time to relax. A volley of silver and blue shots began flying at me. Blueblood quickly erected a barrier, but the intensity and speed of Quickdraw and Lou's attacks formed cracks across its surface. The final straw was Sparrow striking the wall with his spear, splitting it clean down the middle. The attack left him wide open.

I wrapped my hand around his neck and twisted my body around. I released him and set him into an uncontrolled flight into the shelves of liquor. He slammed into it with enough force to bring a hail of bottles cascading down.

"My, my, you can tell he's new to fighting me," I noted while retreating with Blueblood, seeing as our means of defense had disappeared completely. We were quickly pursued by Summitplunge, who darted over us and then looped back towards our front. I launched a fist to greet the pegasus, but I failed to hit home. Summitplunge managed to bank out of the way, but his new heading took him away from us. I took an offensive swipe at him with my claws, but his flying prowess proved too much for me once more. I didn't even manage to rend the breeze he left in his wake.

There was still the problem of Lou and Quickdraw. Blueblood was managing to fend for himself with smaller, temporary barriers and my armor compensated for all the hits I was taking. I finally decided to retaliate, extending my index finger and letting a bolt of lighting fly. Lou and Quickdraw ceased firing to avoid the attack, but the moment's reprieve changed the name of the game. Blueblood and I kept letting attacks fly, forcing our opponents to keep their heads down as we moved into cover behind a fainting couch. As soon as we were in cover, we got bombarded by another volley of shots.

"I need a break right about now." I winced as a shot broke through the back of the couch and nailed me in the shoulder. "Well, I guess you gotta make your own miracles." I grabbed the couch and began to push it back from where we came. I wasn't exactly sure of my heading, but one glance through the hole told me all I needed to know.

"Quickdraw, look out!" Lou called. Quickdraw twisted his head and looked up from his cover just in time to watch me flip the couch on top of him. I stuck two fingers in the hole and shocked him through a direct touch. "That's it!" I cocked my head to see Lou charging me with her horn ablaze. Summitplunge came out from his hiding place to charge, but Blueblood made him retreat with a few quick shots.

"C'mon Lou, you're supposed to be smarter than this!" All I have to do is lunge forward and grab Lou. The mare's torso fits neatly in my armored grip. Before she can discharge whatever she had cooking in her horn, I gave her a sharp shock of energy. She let out a single cry of agony before falling unconscious in my grip.

"No!" Summitplunge erupted from his hiding spot this time, barreling right into Blueblood and knocking him flat on his back. "Let her go!" he shouted before wheeling around to hit me. I took a step back towards the windows and narrowly dodged his attack.

"Let her go?" I extended my arm and held Lou out the window. I didn't hold her there very long. Summitplunge's eyes went wide as her form disappeared from view. "It's funny: she would probably want you to stay here and kill me." Whether or not he heard me, Summitplunge made the choice I expected him to. I didn't even have to move out of his way as he dashed out the window and after Lou.

"Well, I guess we can move on to the next item on our agenda." I turned back to Blueblood who had dutifully gotten back on his feet. "Goodness, Blueblood. You're a lot more together when you're under my control."

"Yeah, I didn't think that was the same Blueblood from the Grand Galloping Gala." I looked over at the bar where Sparrow had managed to get back on his hooves. His spear was already poised and ready, but he didn't make a single move.

"You went to the Grand Galloping Gala with him?" I asked. Sparrow shook his head.

"I watched him." To say a lightbulb went off in my head would betray the sense of dread his confession placed in me.

"... You mean you're-" Sparrow interrupts me before I can finish.

"You're human, aren't you?" I nod my head. "Should have figured."

"Was it the hands?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood a bit. Sparrow's brow furrows as he glares over at me.

"No, I was just thinking it would take a human to cause trouble on this scale."

"Hey, hey, hey! I didn't ask for y'all to come down here and attack. You wanna know why I kidnapped that mare?" Sparrow neither nodded or shook his head. He remained as silent as a stone. "She's like you and me: a human." Sparrow's eyes went wider than dinner plates.

"W-what? You mean it's not just me and you?"

"From what I've heard, it's much more than just me and you, but don't worry because I'm going to find a way to get us all home. We don't belong here," I said. Sparrow's expression didn't change. I had no way to know what was going on inside his head.

"Yeah... I guess we don't belong here." I could have done a backflip I was so happy. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I'd finally found somebody who agrees with me. "Humans are nothing but trouble."

"... Uh... what?"

"Humans are troublesome. They lie, they cheat, they steal, and they kill each other. The evil prosper while the good suffer, but everyone is evil at heart. They don't deserve to live in a paradise like this. I don't deserve to live in a paradise like this, but I'm not about to leave." My spirits sunk lower than they had been before he got my hopes up. "This place has changed me for the better. I've become a pony who deserves to live here."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow up there for a second buddy." I have to take a moment to collect my thoughts. I should have counted on meeting someone this crazy, but I guess there's no end to my lack of foresight. "How long have you been here? This isn't a paradise. Ponies aren't any better than humans."

"How can you even say that?!" Sparrow shouts.

"How can I say that? Experience, mainly. There are bad ponies and people who have bad lives and some good ponies and people who have bad lives; likewise, there are good ponies and people who have good lives and bad ponies and people who have good lives. Equestria is just like Earth. There isn't a lot of correlation between how you act and how your life is. There are bad people and bad ponies, but neither of them are fundamentally bad. They're just fundamentally human or pony."

"No, all the ponies are good. It's people like you who bring evil and disharmony to Equestria. You and the other humans are the root of this world's problem, so I'd better set things right." Sparrow doesn't waste any time. He lunges at me, spear forward, and nearly turns me into a Changeling shish kebab. I fell flat on my back as I tried to make my hasty escape. Sparrow loops around with an alarming amount of deftness. He can only roll away as he spears the floor where I once lay. I extend my finger and fire a green bolt at him, forcing him to abandon his spear in the floor. Blueblood and I keep firing at him, but even in the confines of the room Sparrow finds ways to avoid our attacks. Noting that I'm just wasting energy, I motion for Blueblood to stop. I call out to Sparrow.

"Calm down Sparrow. We should talk this over like civilized people." Giving him a moment's reprieve was a huge mistake on my part. I manage to duck as he swoops at us, but Blueblood is not so lucky. I watch as he's dragged across the room and thrown headfirst into the bar. Blueblood's head gets stuck inside the bar, meaning I was on my own for now. "You do realize I can't let you do as you please. You're coming back with me, no matter what you say."

"Make me!" he shouts. He reach out to punch him, but as he enters my range he dips towards my chest. He slams both hooves into my shoulder. The impact wrenches my body into an agonizing spin as I fall to the floor, but my punishment is far from over. Sparrow spares no quarter, looping back around and slamming his back legs into my stomach and winding me. I feel myself roll towards the window, stopping with one arm dangling out.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I can see him coming at me once more. I reach out in haste with my hand dangling out the window. I manage to get a firm grip on him, but I notice there is something wrong with my grip. My fingers can't quite grasp him, he keeps squirming in odd directions.

The weirdest part is my thumb feels warm.

His weight falls upon my arm before I realize what's going on. My arm falls back out the window, giving Sparrow the momentum to fall off my thumb. I peer over the side and watch him fall. He becomes nothing but a speck on the earth below. I lift my hand and examine my thumb, confirming my worst fears.

I continue to just lay there, all sorts of thoughts swimming in my head. I don't deny what just happened. It saves me a lot of trouble to just put the truth out there.

"I just killed somebody."

For all the confusion in my brain, I feel oddly serene. He wanted to live in Equestria, and that's exactly what he did. He lived here until his time for living ran out. To want to live here is to want to die here. It's not right or proper, but it's a thought that staves off the guilt.

Top of my list of concerns was an odd question: where does his soul go now that he's dead? Is there a place for human souls here in Equestria? It occurs to me that I need not find an answer to that question. The reasoning is simple: humans aren't supposed to die in Equestria. It's supposed to be impossible. It's a question that gives way to "what if" after "what if".

I actually start laughing. It's pretty funny when you think about it. I'm trying to save these people, but I ended up killing one. What's more, Sparrow claimed that humans only caused trouble, and then he was killed by one. That's tragic irony. It would be a sin not to laugh. What's even a sin here anyway? There is no deity watching me. There probably isn't a heaven or hell for me here. Death is the end all be all for me if I stay in Equestria.

I refuse to let that be; however, I don't think I'm of sound mind at the moment. It's just occured to me that I probably shouldn't try to hijack the Queen Harmony and run it right into the heart of Canterlot with a payload of Changelings. That would be bad. That would be wrong. The morals of being in another dimension aren't easy to riddle out, so I've got to try and feel them out as I go. I'm a guest in someone's house. I've come too far to leave things the way I found them. I can try to make things better, but there is only one absolute: I must return home.

"Your majesty!"

"There you are!" I find myself with the pint-sized Princess standing on my chest. Bloodbuzz and a couple more changelings gathered around as well.

"Where have you guys been? I can't believe I'm saying this, but Prince Blueblood has been more useful than you lot." I point over to where the unicorn in question is still struggling to free his head from the bar. "Is this ship secure?"

"Yes, your majesty! Are we taking prisoners?" Bloodbuzz asks. I hesitate. If I say no, innocent ponies will end up dead. If I say yes, innocent ponies will be taken from their homes. My hands may be wet now, but that doesn't mean I have to dive into the ocean.

"We're taking prisoners. Gather them up into one spot, we're going to use them as leverage to stop this madness. There's a dude under that couch, make sure to get him too. Also, get to the helm of this thing and set a course for the Queen Harmony." A few changelings salute and head out as I turn to Bloodbuzz. "Gather a big swarm around this ship. We're going to storm the Queen Harmony."

"What about the Cradle III?" he asks. I turn my head to stare out the window at the large airship. Unlike the others it appears to be held airborne excursively by spinning propellers.

"Hey, PC."

"What?"

"How bad would it be if that ship lost one of its props?" I ask. Chrysalis stares up at the ceiling for a moment.

"I guess it would start going down. Why?" Chrysalis's voice trailed off as her gaze shifted to my outstretched hand out the window. Already I've got a pretty respectably sized orb of energy built up.

"No reason." I set the attack free. It zooms off until it's just a green blip, but the result is much more magnificent. One of the propellers on the ship's long wings goes up in flames, forcing the ship to tip. Satisfied with my handiwork, although it was expensive energy wise, I turn to Bloodbuzz.

"Swarm. Around the ship. Now."

"Yes, your majesty!"

I've probably said it before, but I'm so glad I can count on the changelings in this messed-up, crazy world. Their allegiance and adherence to my orders are the one thing I can always depend upon.

"Do you finally have a solid plan?" Chrysalis asks. I give her a nod before getting back onto my feet. I help Blueblood free his noggin while the sound of buzzing and hissing grows louder and louder outside. By the time Bloodbuzz returns, the swarm made it darker than night aboard the airship.

"These are all the changelings we can spare, your majesty! The Queen Harmony's shield is getting closer as well. What are you orders?"

"A hole leading to the Queen Harmony will open up soon. When it does, go through and subdue their forces. Send an escort down to me so I can follow you in." Bloodbuzz salutes and flies off once more. I turn my attention to Blueblood. "Restore the ship's barrier." Blueblood's horn flashes once, making shadows grow across the tattered room in the blue light. After that, there is nothing. I meander over to where Sparrow's spear is and pick it out.

A minute later it begins. The Cherished Victory rocks as our barrier impacts the barrier over the Queen Harmony. A few moment later, the ship rocks once more. The excitement and agitation building in the swarm reaches a fever pitch. Even from inside the ship, I can hear their wild battle cries.

With one last push, all Tartarus breaks loose. I watch as the cloud of changelings just outside the window vanishes. A small contingent flies in through the window and whisks Chrysalis and I away to where the rest of the swarm disappeared to. Once I'm outside, I can see my plan worked exactly as I thought it would. The collision of the two barriers created a crossing between them just below the Queen Harmony's hull. Instead of keeping changelings out, the Queen Harmony's barrier is now keeping changelings in. I issue a command to the swarm carrying me.

"Take me to the upper deck." My knees buckle under the g-force as we gained altitude. From a distance, the Queen Harmony looked enormous, but now that I was right next to it I could tell it is literally a flying fortress. Unicorns poked their heads out of windows, firing shots at changelings as they whirred by. Armored pegasi leaked from every window and hatch under the ship's brilliant, white balloons.

Despite the evidently large population on the Queen Harmony, it was far more evident that they were not betting on dealing with so many changelings so closely. Unicorns abandoned their posts as drones recklessly dive-bombed their windows. Pegasi scrambled to reseal hatches and windows before mobs of changelings slipped into them. The chaos of the battle disappeared from sight once we crested the top of the ship. I jumped off my mount and landed on the top of the Queen Harmony, spear and Chrysalis in tow.

The top of the Queen Harmony was far grander than the top of the Cherished Victory. I found myself standing in the midst of a lush garden, complete with a domed gazebo and working fountain. I didn't have time to admire the flowers or stone walkways. My attention instantly went to the group of armored unicorns situated under the gazebo.

"I think... I think I'm going to watch from over there," Chrysalis whispers in my ear before flying off. While I can't say I know what's making her uneasy, I think I feel it too.

"Who's in charge around here?" I ask them as I march up to their position. Many of these unicorns look like older, seasoned veterans, present for their strategic and tactical prowess rather than their fighting ability. By the looks on their faces, I assumed persuading them to retreat wouldn't be difficult.

"Leave us." My spine tingles at the speaker's air of command. The older unicorns disperse in haste, leaving me alone with one, violet armored unicorn. "I am Shining Armor, Captain of the Royal Guard. I assume you're King Cocoon of the Changelings." I take a moment to remind my brain where I am and what I'm doing, taking a moment to collect my thoughts for a second. Clearing my throat, I begin to converse normally.

"I've come to ask you to surrender," I tell him. Even under his helmet, I can tell he's scowling at me.

"You have, have you? Explain yourself."

"It's not too complicated, really," I state. "All I'm asking is you send them back to their wives and children. Send them back to their brothers and sisters. Send them back to their mothers and fathers. It doesn't do me or you any good to draw this fight out any longer. All this for one mare? Come now, Shining Armor, you can't really believe it's worth it, can you?"

"You seem to think its worth it," he replies. "I'm not sure what you gain by taking arbitrary prisoners, but I can't just stand by and let that happen. You're going to have to do better than just saying you want my boys to go home safe."

"Alright, how about this? I've got a whole ship full of your men down there, including a certain Prince Blueblood. If you don't surrender, I'll take down this little bird you're on and turn everypony on the Cherished Victory into my slave. I think I'll keep the ship too, but I'll rename it something cooler. How about... Strange Victory?" I propose. I expect Shining Armor to mull it over just a little, but he wastes no time with his response.

"How about you hand over the prisoner you have and then we'll leave."

"I can't do that." I reply. Shining Armor shakes his head and titters.

"I don't get it. Why not?" he asks.

"She isn't what she seems. She's really not a pony at all."

"What?"

"She's not the only one, either. Are you familiar with the pegasus named Sparrow?" Shining Armor's eyes widen at the mention of the deceased pony's, or rather human's, name. To drive home what I'm getting at, I toss Sparrow's spear at Shining Armor's hooves. He stares down at it in silence. "If you did know him, he was keeping an enormous secret from you."

"Sparrow was a good soldier. He was loyal, courageous, and wouldn't keep secrets from anypony. Tell me where he is." I accidentally allow an unintended silence slip into our conversation.

"... He's beyond reach." I'm not sure why, but that line sets Shining Armor off. I have no idea what he did to me, but I somehow discovered myself laying on my back in the grass. My head started throbbing with renewed vigor. Next thing I know I'm enveloped in violet and careening across the garden. My back slams into one of the gazebo pillars. Now my whole body hurts, but at least I manage to land on my feet.

When my vision stops spinning, I notice Shining Armor marching towards me. Without putting too much though into it, I extend my hand and attempt to shoot him with a bolt of lighting. Shining Armor doesn't even flinch. He puts up a small barrier around himself and keeps walking, letting my attack arc harmlessly into the sky. I can feel my energy getting close to zero, but I press on anyway. I begin plodding towards him. He fires shots like purple bullets from his horns, far too fast for me too feel comfortable as I strafe out of the way. I keep firing small bolts of electricity at him, trying to get a lucky shot in. Shining Armor's shield banishes everything I throw at it. In one more attempt to crack it open, I extend both hands and exhale sharply. A concentrated ball of green flames slams into the barrier.

I don't wait to see if my attack succeeds in doing anything. I'm almost running on empty. I don't have a long time left to wear this armor. I need to bring this to a close. I make a mad dash for Shining Armor. The flames of my attack wrap around his barrier. Throwing my caution to the wind, I follow up my attack by delivering a wide slash across its surface.

My heart sinks as my claws rake against a solid surface of energy. Spent magically and physically, I lift a finger when Shining Armor rears up and pins me to the ground. He stoops low and points his glowing horn right at my face.

"Before I finish this, I've got just one question," he tells me. I mumble my response.

"... I guess nothing matters now." I walked right into the wolf's den. My career in Equestria was going to end in yet another short-sighted blunder. I suppose I'll be seeing Sparrow real soon.

"Why are there so few changelings here?"

In a moment of what I can only describe as desperate brilliance, I say something fitting of King Cocoon the Liar.

"Twilight Sparkle, she's your sister, right?" Shining Armor's pupils shrank. "Considering the size of that little town, it shouldn't take long at all to clean it out with a swarm that size."

"You monster!" Shining Armor cries. "You're going to regr-" Before he could finish his threat, he suddenly tumbled off of me. Running off mainly adrenaline, I get up and try to riddle out what just happened. It doesn't take long for me to see that Shining Armor fell off of me because a stray changeling slammed into him. The changeling in question sat atop Shining Armor, who's helmet had been pushed down over his eyes.

Still panicking, I grab the changeling and call out for Chrysalis. As I run to the edge of the airship, she catches up and flies alongside me. From behind me, I can hear Shining Armor shouting.

"Sound the retreat! We're moving out! Sound the retreat!"

"You did it! I don't know how, but you did it!" Chrysalis cheers. I save my own breath until we arrive at the end of the airship. With one last push, I jump off the edge and into the open air.

"That was too close!" I turn my back to the earth and hoist the changeling who saved my butt in the air. "You! What is your name?" The changeling, who I noted had a particularly twitchy eye, gawked down at me.

"Nope, don't have one. Nope, no sir," he hisses.

"Ugh, he's just a drone," Chrysalis says. "Looks like some of these maggots managed to get some sustenance. I'm surprised this one can speak."

"So... now that he's survived the battle, should I give him a name?" Chrysalis went bug eyed as if I'd just proposed we make him Princess.

"Th-that's a huge honor, you know. The other changelings won't overlook it," she says.

"Will they dislike him or me for it?" I ask.

"W-w-well... no."

"Well then, I think he deserves a high honor. He did just save my life; therefor, from this day forth you shall be known as... uh... Swerve!" Swerve responds by extricating one of his hooves from my grip and throwing a salute. Right on cue, a swarm swoops in and stops my descent. Among them is Bloodbuzz, who for some reason I am not surprised to see. "Bloodbuzz! The Equestrian forces are retreated. Get everyone back to the Hive! Get me there too, I need to get out of this armor before it sucks me dry!"

"Yes, your majesty!" If I could sleep, I would have done so right there and then. Unfortunately, there's no rest for a king after a battle. As soon as Bloodbuzz was gone, two of the Hive Minds joined me on the swarm.

"An excellent victory, your majesty," they greet me. "We believe our gains will exceed our casualties."

"Sure, but we still have to attack Quarterholm, don't we?" They both nod. "Ugh... you two got names?"

"Bragback, your majesty."

"Hellwire, your majesty."

"Alright, our next move is to attack Quarterholm. I'm going to go ahead first and scout things out. I'm bringing the Princess, Captain Bloodbuzz, Plundergrub, and Swerve with me. I'm leaving it to you guys to get ready for the attack. Unless I say otherwise, you will drop the swarm on the city in six days. Is that understood?"

"Yes, your majesty!" they respond. I heave a sigh and take a look back at the retreating airships. In the nervous pit of my stomach, I keep thinking they'll turn around and come back. "There is one other issue at hand, your majesty."

"What would that be?"

"Your official coronation."


I always imagined a coronation ceremony would be stuffy, and it turns out I was right. This really is super boring and I'm the one being crowned. The actual crowning is part is taking a while. First we had to gather every single changeling in The Hive into the castle, and that was more of an ordeal than I would have cared for. Next, they put me in some fancy clothes. It's some kind of cottony, violet suit and green cape with fur around the collar. I miss my light, breathable vest and trouser combination. I don't know what kind of fabric I'm wearing, but it's really tight.

Right now, I have no idea what's going on. I can only assume it's some sort of arbitrary ceremony where the Hive Minds recite stuff from a bunch of moldy scrolls. I tuned out at about the same time Chrysalis fell asleep. They already officially crowned her Princess, so I'm starting to wonder what's taking so long on getting to making me King.

It's not that I need this ceremony to validate my station as monarch. Heck, I don't need this ceremony at all. We were all simpatico beforehand, weren't we? I never heard anyone say "Hey, I'm not gonna listen to Cocoon cause nobody crowned him yet." If it was said, I missed it.

The name Mangle jumps back into my head. I'd nearly filed the memory of the lost Prince under "information I couldn't care less about." I don't know where he's hiding, and I don't even know if anypony in Equestria knows he exists. They're all probably too busy worrying about King Cocoon. When all is said and done, he's the one changeling I can't trust.

"We present to you, King Cocoon Ten Horns!" I felt a crown settle onto my head as a chorus of cheering and stomping broke out. I was still a bit stuck on "Ten Horns", but I suppose it's better than "the Liar." Still, I'd prefer King Cocoon the Surprisingly Adequate.

The ceremony disperses immediately afterwards. Well, I had to give a speech of sorts, but it was just general fluff about working hard and doing what's best for the Hive.

After that was over, I decided to hold a walk and talk with my little gang before we headed out. Our destination was the dungeon so I could speak with Sweet Tea one more time. I'm sure she'll want to know all about what happened while she was locked up.

"Please, for once, tell me we're going in with a plan!" Chrysalis complained.

"Yes, yes, but first things are first. How was the battle for all you guys?"

"What?"

"Bloodbuzz, take out any of those Equestrian dogs... so to speak?"

"Unfortunately not, your majesty. I spent most of my time running your errands." I could of sworn I detected a hint of frustration in his voice.

"Okay... so, Plundergrub, is that a new helmet you're wearing?" I asked. Plundergrub nodded. "Does that mean you're a captain now?"

"Yes, your majesty! I got promoted after Captain Blacklung got incinerated!"

"Wow Plundergrub, that's... well... depressing. Swerve! Anything exciting happen to you?" I turned my attention to the lowest ranking changeling among us. His left eye was still twitching.

"Eh... nope, nothin' really happened, sir. Got hit by a thing while I was flyin' about, but I landed on that unicorn fellow. Then you whisked me away, sir."

"Well, sounds like I had the most exciting time then." I don't exactly condone my own use of the word "exciting". The low part of the whole thing wasn't getting my shrimp rocked by Shining Armor, it was killing Sparrow. I could play it off as an accident, but how would it have ended otherwise? I wanted to capture him like I did with Sweet Tea, but Sweet Tea didn't try to kill me. Granted, she probably wants to kill me now, she hasn't had a chance to. Still, another human attacked me. He found out what I was, learned my intentions, and then retaliated with violence. Sparrow and Sweet Tea are two sides of the same coin.

It's just basic flight or fight instincts, but it's their life in Equestria I'm threatening.

"Uh... Cocoon." I look up at Chrysalis. I realize we've gotten pretty far down in the dungeon.

"Whoops... did we pass Sweet Tea's cell?" I ask. Chrysalis shakes her head and points next to us.

"This is her cell." I briefly examine the torn cell wall.

...

Sweet Tea really was geared towards flight.