• Published 27th Jun 2015
  • 629 Views, 15 Comments

I won't run anymore... - MidnightFMare



Running, it's all he's ever done. Running from his problems, enemies, memories... this is where The Doctor makes his final stand... oddly enough, it isn't the fields of Trenzalor.

  • ...
3
 15
 629

New, Old friends

We depart from the train, and Ditzy takes flight, pointing to a castle in the distance "This way Time Turner."

I smile and follow her, taking note of the city Mansions, renter's district, shops, vendors... definitely reminds me of Victorian, France. Although... how can such a large city be here on the side of a humungous mountain and not expect an avalanche or an earthquake to cause the whole base of the city to crumble?

Ditzy waves a hoof in my face "What's going on in your head Doctor?"

"Hm? Oh I was wondering how a city this old can stay stable, it must've had an earthquake or two."

She nods and lands next to me "It has, but they're rare or set off like a pressure valve to stop a huge one from decimating it. Most ponies never notice that type of thing, but it bothered me when I first saw Canterlot."

I tap my chin "Set off the tension of the tectonic plates? That's something that in my experience is only worked out by subterranean races. How on Earth did Equines figure it out?"

Ditzy grins "Diamond dogs. They're a very hardy race of traders and burrowers that live in their own mining territories, trading gems, rocks, and crystals for supplies, money, or anything they need. I've seen some whenever I have to deliver packages to borders. They're a bit isolationist, but I think that's because of the war that ended a thousand years ago, right after the unification of the three tribes. They knew so much about the deeper parts of the land we walk on that an agreement was made, in exchange for isolation and neutrality in their conflicts, they'd share their knowledge to sustain elevated mountain cities."

I nod "You're very smart Ditzy, why are you a mailmare?"

"Strict schedule, I get to travel the whole country without a care, and I inspire hope in ponies. If the Mail ponies can deliver mail through the roughest of storms and the end of civilization, everything will get better. That's the real, honest to stars truth."

"That was beautiful."

"Thanks! I spent a bit of time working on it a few years ago in case somepony asked." she grins wide and I find myself mimicking her grin.

Infectious grins and a deep thinker, will you ever cease to amaze me Ditzy Doo?


"Ugh, this is Buckingham palace all over again." I groan, the two statuesque guards' gazes unwavering.

"Buckingham palace is in Trottingham, not Canterlot."

"... Of course it is. How silly of me." I reply Honestly, these puns are becoming painful.

"Halt!" A guard yells, leveling a spear at me

"Why?"

He blinks several times "Because this is the royal castle?"

"Well, why are you standing in front of it?" I ask.

"... I'm a guard. I work here." his partner replies, confused .

"Well, what's stopping you from letting someone whom is on important business regarding an inquiry from a princess? I do believe you're doing your jobs too well. Relax! Go to a bar and forget the rigors of your job and relax! Those helmet cannot be too comfortable."

They nod slowly "Yeah... I mean, all we do is stand and look ahead! Nopony'll notice if we leave! But who'll stand guard?"

I shake my hoof "I'm sure that you two can be in for a draft, drink, unwind, and return before the next change of guard. Now off you two go, you deserve this."

The nod and gallop away, and Ditzy taps my shoulder "Why did you do that?"

"I wanted to see if I was just as persuasive as a pony. And because the two of them were looking like they were going to fall asleep."


Ditzy knocks on a giant yellow-gold door "Princess Celestia?"

The door is enveloped in a dandelion aura and opens "Yes? Who is- oh! Ms. Hooves, what a surprise, did I need to sign for a letter or some such?"

"No, we were wondering if Luna was at the observatory. I know it's kind of early, and the sun hasn't set, but you two are so close I thought you'd know."

"'We'? Who accompanying you?"

I walk in and someone gasps "YOU!"

"Wha- okay, horses do apparently exist. Just with wings and horns. Interesting." I mutter to myself when a tall white mare with a flowing green, blue and yellow mane walks over to me, her violet eyes glaring angrily at me "You must have an unending well of nerve to show your face to me Salamander. You're 'Sun Stores' have done nothing more than explode and cause carnage! Now you come here, guided by a friend?! I should turn you to cinders and pour them into the deepest pit of Tartarus!"

"'Salamander'? Haven't been called that in at least seven centuries..." I mutter to myself "Princess, I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone else. My name is Time Turner and I'm nothing but a traveler who has decided to seek a... 'normal' life in your country. You've nothing to fear from me."

She snorts and moves Ditzy away from me "I am no fool Salamander. You are nothing more than a scam artist and a mad scientist who sought wisdom by betraying his own friends and advocates! You are no 'Traveler', you are a mad pony."

"Now see here-"

Ditzy puts a hoof over my mouth "Princess Celestia, I can vouch for him. And according to section three hundred forty-five dot sixty-two dash fifty-three, subsection Epsilon, paragraph four: 'If doubt of identity is raised through magical means, whether in regards to longevity, physical and or physiological changes, or caste shifting, a third, impartial party is allowed to administer a test written by the accuser to the accused. Any family or associates relating to the accused are allowed to witness and raise objection over any questions that may seem to be impossible to answer, should the accused's identity be genuine.' You wrote that Princess Celestia. Are you going to deny the very laws you wrote?"

I notice a faint vein pop from her forehead but ignore it "Fine. I had a test written up for him should he ever reappear." her horn glows with magic and a pile of papers appears in front of me "Answer that... and you will have a polygraph administered."

I roll my eyes and lift the papers "May I borrow a pencil?"


I pass the paper back, removing the probes from my body "there. That should show I'm not who you think I am."

She looks over the questions and frowns "... Buck. I believe you Time Turner. The resemblance was too uncanny for me to ignore."

"I don't like her..." I mutter to Ditzy, watching Princess Celestia trot away.

"I prefer Luna's company but... Celestia is pretty nice when she needs to be... it's just that there's apparently been somepony annoying-"

"GANGWAY!!!"

I turn and barreling towards us is a black pegasus in a modified food cart. Ditzy tackles me to the ground and the pegasus shoots past us, crashing into a wall "Ow... I am OKAY!"

Ditzy shivers, her head on my chest "That was a close one Doctor! Are you okay?"

I have an adorable mare on my ches- why do I keep doing that?! "Dandy. Would you mind getting off of me?"

She nods and rolls off of me, and walks towards the wreckage of the cart "Are you okay?"

I roll onto my hooves and the Pegasus smiles "Peachy, I'm so sorry about that miss. My steering mechanism well... broke after a tight corner, and I lost control."

I look over the remains "And apparently you only removed the top of the cart and rigged the wheels to turn. Crude and simple, but it'd work."

"Thanks, it was a spur of the moment thing. Anyways I sense Sun-butt is going to chew me out for my attempts at vehicular science, so I'm going to go and see Luna about a thing."

"What type of thing?" I ask him, following.

"A thing, it's a thing in progress. Do not disrespect the thing!" He replies "Why are you following me, anyways?"

Ditzy pipes up "We want to see Luna about something too!"

"Oh, cool. Follow me! I know a shortcut through the walls!"

I stop "Through the walls?"

He nods and presses a brick in the wall next to him and the whole wall fades, revealing a corridor "Come on! It won't stay phased out indefinitely!"

Ditzy shrugs "He knows a shortcut."

I roll my eyes and follow after him. "I'm Time Turner by the way."

He nods "Midnight Mare, and you miss pegasus?"

"Ditzy Doo! Though my friends call me Derpy."

"Huh, that's an interesting nickname. Well follow me Turner and Doo! we should be just about- here we are! The chambers of her regally regalness, Luna!"

A dark blue, horned pegasus with a mane like the night sky looks up from a thick tome, reading glasses on the end of her nose and inquisitive teal eyes behind them "Midnight? Who are you talking to?"

Ditzy steps out from behind him and waves "Hi Luna."

The mare jumps from her seat and embraces Ditzy "Ditzy Doo! How have you been?"

"Fine, I have a cool friend with me and he answered our question about the blurry stars!"

Midnight shrugs, pats me on the back and walks over to what I assume is Luna's bed "I'm gonna hang here until Tia gets bored of looking for me after I tested your experiment to see if common items in the castle could be siege-weapons or defensive against the like. Cart Kart is not a go, we need better wheel control."

Luna nods slowly, looking perplexed "And whom is with you Dit-" her eyes widen in surprise and something familiar.

Recognition.

"Doctor? Doctor, is it really you?" she walks slowly towards me, her eyes unwavering but starting to water "Please tell me I'm not dreaming... Please, please don't tell me that you're a dream..."

I blink "I'm quite sure I'm not a dream..."

"1 in 28 odds for that Princess." Midnight adds before scratching his head "Huh, I'm apparently quick with odds... this is only cementing my theory that I'm a gambler..."

Ignoring his outburst, I step towards the princess "Have we met?"

She gasps, her look of pleading changes to hurt, the tears rolling down her cheeks "Y-you don't... remember me? Fighting The Zarbi and Animus on Vartis' moon? The giant ant and the huge butterfly creature they were so afraid of? Don't you remember that?"

I nod "Vividly, but that was... gosh, eight hundred odd years ago for me. How long has it bee-"

"A millennium and twenty-three years today. That's what I was reading actually. It's a copy your journal, sans the page with your name. I made a copy of it and with a blindfold, tore out and incinerated that page before I left. I hit you on the head with a snow globe that held... what did it say it was?" she levitates the book over and flips several pages "Ah, Lloigor or the 'Great old ones'. Funny little psychic anomaly from pre-universe."

I nod, horror flooding my senses "Give me that book!"

She blinks and levitates it next to me, sadness and fear on her face "I- I'm sorry Doctor! I was just curious about your history! I had so much respect for you and everything you stood for! I have waited more than a millennium to see you again! That book and my memories were the only proof you ever existed! Tia thought you were some imaginary friend I made up to help me feel safe under Discord's rule... Doctor..." she sniffs, tears rolling down her face "I... I waited a thousand y-years... I waited for you... but you never came..." her voice cracks "That book is the only thing that helped me sleep, reading stories about the universe and the single pony who stood against the most heinous of crimes... and now...?"

She drops to the floor, her mane and body shakes and lightens, her body shrinking slowly to the Ditzy's height "Now I've... I've... I'm sorry... please don't leave me alone... I... I want to see the universe again..."

Ditzy wraps a hoof around Luna's barrel "I know you meant well Luna, but why didn't you tell me about him earlier?"

"I... I didn't want you to think I was... was... crazy! Would you ever believe that he existed if you hadn't met him?! A stallion in a blue box that could fly through time and space?! It's ludicrous!"

I sigh "Princess... I can't have a record of who I am outside the TARDIS. I can't have my story known and seen by anyone save myself. This book is too dangerous, and I'm afraid... that you need to forget everything within."

"... I'm afraid I can't allow you to do that to Luna Outsider. You have the right to your privacy, but erasing memories? That is something I can't allow, no matter the reasoning." Midnight says, appearing in front of Ditzy and Luna "You have overstepped your boundaries Outsider, and I can see clearly that you have no other way of survival beyond medicine and your wits. You can't regenerate, so that means you have to be careful with your words and actions. Make a move to harm Luna, and I will detonate the explosive napalm charges I placed on yur body when I touched you a few minutes ago, immolating you entirely."

I snort "You're bluffing."

He quirks an eyebrow and stomps his hoof and whistles. Where he had stomped glows white and explodes, a stream of jelly erupting and catching on fire, burning out in mere seconds "Am I? Because my little demonstration proves otherwise. There are three ways this conflict resolves Outsider. One: you can apologize and eradicate the very notion of tampering with Luna's memories. Two: you can attempt to tamper, and I reduce you to ashes. Three: you leave, and come back when you've gotten rid of whatever desire has made you attempt tampering with her memories. Or there's the possible fourth where we just stand here, and you internally debate what choice you'll make until you decide. It's your choice, I just happen to be the one outlining them and executing the appropriate reactions."

I grit my teeth "The knowledge she has is dangerous not only to herself, but to me! Why are you so against me making sure we're both safe?!"

"I don't have any memories of who I was, or even my name. I don't know how old I am, if I'm married, have children, or if I was always a pony! The only clues I have are my cutie mark, my hat, my jacket, and my cards. But considering how my mind is going through several simulations on the possible and impossible scenarios, each where either both of us live, or one of us dies. And there are more outcomes of where you perish than there are of the other outcomes. So you can see that I'm quite clever and why I hate the idea of losing memories."

He frown and gives Luna a weak smile before turning back to me "And you are a hero to her, you kept her sane when she was weak, and for that kindness, I'm giving you warning and options, rather than just destroying you and that book."

I glare at him and stares at me impassively, and I see that there's no spark in his eyes, no life or joviality or even a sign that he's bluffing. "You would sacrifice her safety because of something that hasn't happened?"

He nods "I have nothing to lose except my life, which is mostly conjecture right now. You might as well use your time to contemplate your choice, rather than try to undermine my resolve."

"... You called me 'Outsider', why?"

"You aren't on Gallifrey with the majority of your kind, you are not wearing any of their silly headdresses or robes. So it should stand to reason that you are one of the number of the group that lives outside the capitol. Was I wrong?"

"... Not entirely. How do you know so much?"

He shrugs "Beats the ever-loving chaos outta me. Maybe I'm just seeing your memories or something. Not important. Now, have you made a decision?"

"... Option five." I reply and he sighs "Why is it always the hidden option? Fine, you're going to try to outwit me, a plan that probably involves Miss Doo. So as I passed her, I made sure she couldn't assist in the form of magically sourced chains."

He steps to the side and Ditzy is held by dark chains along with Princess Luna "Why would you-"

"Because she would also likely interfere. Worry not Outsider, they are both unharmed, just immobile. I wanted to minimize the chances of an unforeseen circumstance that could come from their investment in you. Now please, I am a very patient individual, I think. But to say I am not irked by your choice isn't true. Nevertheless, I shall allow you to try again, if you so choose."

"... what are you?" I ask, quaking in anger.

"I am nobody I suppose, no past or a name to which to define me. So I suppose I am Nobody No-One. And I suppose with my mastery of ideas and their conveyance, I'll call myself the Word Lord. Has a nice ring to it, yeah?"

My eye twitches "Why is it that everywhere I go recently, someone brings up my past?! And I know that... Nobody No-One is trapped in the Hand of All, who died within it within the mind of my friend."

Midnight shrugs "Iono what you're talking about Outsider, but whatever floats your boat."

I jump, expecting a boat and an ocean to appear underneath us "Wha- you aren't Nobody No-One!"

"Of course not, that'd be silly. I'd need to go up to a drunken Cyclops and call myself that then stab him in the eye and run while laughing as it answered a question as to who wounded it; 'Nobody! Nobody has rendered me blind!'" he chuckles "Who knew that trhe ancients had a dry sense of humor?"

I cock my head "So... what are you?"

He shrugs I'm starting to think that's all he's capable of doing "Haven't the slightest. Still, I believe you have a decision to make, and I want to let Luna go or else she'd geld me if I hadn't already confirmed I'm a eunuch."

I sigh "I won't tamper with Princess Luna's memories, but I won't return the book. I'm going to destroy it."

He smiles weakly "That's all I had honestly set out to accomplish. 'Shadow Spell', I return your power to the Spirit Realm!"

The chains glow and shoot into his hoof, a glowing card forms when they touch him "I'm so awesome..." he mutters and he places the card into his jacket pocket. His face and posture relax and he sighs "Sorry about that Doc. I'm kind of Luna's self-appointed assistant and I just want her to have some genuine friends and acquaintances. I don't think having you mind altered by your foalhood hero falls into that category so... sorry about that again and I will go finish my nap."

My eye twitches "Are you Nobody No-One?!"

He turns and taps his chin in thought "Dunno, but if you happen to find out who I am or something, could you mayhaps tell me? Oh! And I conked Luna and Miss Doo on their heads with my hoof and knocked them out, so they didn't see or hear anything. So we're even. She sees you as a hero, you get your book back and I'll tell her that I wanted to ask your opinion on something of a very delicate nature and that I beaned her with my hoof for privacy."

My eyes twitch "You are infuriatingly confusing."

He pauses "I get that a lot, and I'm guessing you can say the same."


I drain the last of the tea and smile "Thank you Luna, but there's no need to be so generous."

Ditzy shakes her hoof "It's just her way. And Princess, what do you think about what The Doctor found?"

Luna looks away from her telescope and nods "Upon further magnification, thank you for that Doctor, I can make out three suns. A simple answer to a complex problem, I believe you told me... will tell me that someday."

I sigh "Can we please stop talking about that? I usually end up doing something stupid in the past. Or brilliant. Either one or more likely, both."

Both laugh and Midnight walks by, yawning "Luna, your telescope is pointed too far to the left. If you want to see Telos evacuated, you'll have to move it two and five sixths west."

"Telos?" Ditzy asks, looking for me for an explanation.

"A very cold, arid and mountainous planet far away. Home to the Cryons, but they were very cold beings as a result, so when the surface temperature rose too high for them to live, they went into underground tombs to hibernate until it was cold enough again. Unfortunately in the interim, Cybers came to that planet in hopes of hiding and were presumed dead but they were waiting for new bodies to add to their millions. Wiped out in the 26th century by the very Cryons they had held prisoner via explosion. Cryons have finally gained enough time to create a mobile freeze transport to move to the safest and coldest place in the known universe, the Frond-Grief super cloud. Several suns and no outside navigation can penetrate it because of the majority of the cloud is iridium and lead. Kind of nice, but soon as they're set, researchers will descend on the planet and take as many of the remaining, albeit frozen, artefacts left from that explosion in hopes of understanding the evolutions of the Cybers." Midnight explains, yawning still "Pretty much a sure thing ever since the cloud was deemed hospitable only for mineral and ante-thermal life."

Luna and Ditzy's jaws are agape "H-how did you know that?"

"Hm? Oh, I was just relaying the broadcast from the Shadow Migration. Universal customs and news, as well as investigation. Kind of nice considering I just made this not two minutes ago." he reaches into his hat and pulls out what looks like a blue tooth "I modified my Duel Gazer to receive faraway radio frequencies. Anyone with a bit of science on their side could do it."

I take the Gazer and put it to my ear "And so the first and only known migration to the Frond-Grief cloud has begun. But of course, there are just as many, if not more, individuals who wish to scour the planet for Cyber artifacts. This is of course legal, considering that the Cryons have no interest in such relics. In other remarkable news, Free Trade has been implemented by The Boz of Mondos."

I return it to him "Impressive. How is it so crystal clear?"

"I bounce the signal off the sun. Perfectly harmonizes the various sounds and leaves clear transmission. Though to be honest, having Luna place a solar-powered attractor/ rebounder was a bit.. interesting."

"When di I do that?"

"Last night, when I asked to see how close you could get to the sun without having to teleport back or catch on fire."

She walks over and backhands Hooves? him "You suck Midnight."

"I know, and yet you still like me." he replies, smirking "So! Why the interest in this particular star system?"

"Scientific curiosity I suppose." Ditzy replies "So, when did you meet the Doctor?"

Luna smiles wistfully, her eyes radiating nostalgia "I was exploring the cave system that is now known as Ghastly Gorge, looking for a fabled master of sciences, a pony who could reason out the weakness to any problem, but was mad; undoubtedly mad. I arrived at his cave and after solving a large number of puzzles set to ward off the ignorant, I found this Stallion with a side-ways blue bow-tie and collar, and a grey mare who's face was hidden by a domino mask and hooded cloak, her cutie mark impossible to focus on, as if my eyes didn't want to process what it was. The stallion walked up to me and smiled 'Hello, again.'

"He called himself 'The Doctor' and the mare, who never spoke, his 'Charmingly modest assistant and companion'. He said that he knew my questions before I had asked them, and said that there was nothing he could do to help stop Discord. I was furious, and called him a spineless fool but he laughed 'I know you're angry little princess; but I can't help with that problem. I can, however, show you something mind-blowing.'

"His assistant nodded and tapped on something next to her, and suddenly, I saw a box. A box of the bluest blue, a single white light on top and within. On the each side was a sign saying 'Police public call box' and on the doors. On the front doors, one said 'Police Telephone free for use of public advice & assistance obtainable immediately. Officers & cars respond to all calls. Pull to open.' and the other had a compass rose inscribed with 'St. John ambulance'. I never found out what 'cars' or who Saint John was. He smirked and patted me on the head 'I know, she's a beauty. Older than I am, but we have a good relationship. She takes me where she wants to go, and I sit back and hope not to die after we get there.'"

I nodded "Sounds... like something I'd say."

"His assistant waved me in 'You can't expect all of us to fit in that little box!"

"He smiled and adjusted his tie 'I think we can. Care to test who's theory is right?'"

"I rolled my eyes but followed him, and it was amazing. Thee were lights and a humungous console with countless machines and levers and switches, lights that blinked and vibrated! I had never seen such a thing before in my life or since. He smiled and approached the console, and the doors closed 'Well, I suppose I was right.' He flipped a switch and the machine sighed and I felt as if we were moving and suddenly... it stopped. We left and..." she taps her chin and smiles mischievously "Sorry Doctor, that's a story for another time. Spoilers!"

I wince "... Of course. 'Spoilers' that's just what I need."

Ditzy cocks her head in confusion "So... you shouldn't tell us?"

"If she told you how the story goes, that'd be making sure it happens exactly that way. It's no fun, an adventure if you know exactly what will happen. Like skipping to the last page of the book half-way through. No fun and it completely defies the point of reading." Midnight says, grinning impishly.


Luna levitates a bag onto her shoulders "I'm ready! Let's go to... Betelgeuse! I've wanted to sip cocktails under the light of three different stars, well, I had a dream that I did, so it must be a good idea!"

I pause mid-sip "What are you talking about?"

She blinks and grabs a solid black tiara, removing a slip of paper from within "This. You promised me that when you came back, you'd take me on an adventure where and whenever I wanted. See?"

ADMIT ONE: Luna Moonbeam
To anywhere and anywhen. One use per individual barring time-variants.
Nontransferable excluding death before redeeming, in which case, strike out recipient's name and write new recipient's name.
Travel executed by: The Doctor.

"... Ugh! Fine! We need to get to Ponyville though." I relent Why do I annoy myself in the future? I can't think it's good for my past health.

Luna smiles "I can teleport us there!"

Before I can react, her horn glows and everything aound me changes and I stumble into a lamppost "Urgh... I don't think teleportation agrees with me..."

Luna stomps her hooves excitedly "Come! We have a star to go to! And maybe an adventure!"

Why are they always so excitable...?

Author's Note:

Next time, on Doctor Whooves: I won't run anymore...

"Doctor..." Luna whispers, leaning down to my level.

Ditzy and I turn to her "Yes?"

"Correct me if I'm wrong... but I think those 'quite genteel lizard-avians', are drooling blood and coming our way."

I turn and groan "This is why I can never have a nice thing."