• Published 1st Jun 2015
  • 648 Views, 43 Comments

The Matrix of Friendship - MrSp33dy123



In Equestria's darkest hour, Twilight Sparkle stumbles upon new information about the Elements of Harmony, forgotten, for generations. But can she discover their true power and activate it before it's too late?

  • ...
9
 43
 648

1| Trojan Horse

The Matrix of Friendship
Chapter 1- Trojan Horse
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle stirred from her slumber. She sat up onto her rump and looked out the window, it was a bright, colourful day, scheduled by the weather pegasi. Spike had been getting breakfast ready in the new kitchen that came with the castle. Twilight had always admired his dedication to her- he got up early every morning to make her breakfast, fetched books for her, and generally did everything he could to help. But sometimes, he could go overboard. The memory of spike setting up Owloicious with that fake dead mouse flashed in her mind.

Dammit, Spike.

She slowly shook her head before jumping off her warm bed onto the chilled crystal floor, her body tensed up from the sudden cold but quickly adjusted and relaxed. She trotted over to the door- giant and purple with god accents- twisting and pulling the handle with her magic, and continued down a hallway to the kitchen.

“Good morning Spike.”

“Morning, Twilight! I made fried hay and daisies-your favorite!”

Twilight giggled. “You know me too well, Spike.”

Spike placed the plate containing said food onto a side of the table, and Twilight sat down next to it. He then grabbed his plate containing a piece of gem’ed toast and sat at the opposite end of the table. This new table was considerably large, probably big enough to fit 20 people. The distance between the two friends was almost awkward.

“So Twilight, what’re you going to do today?” Spike questioned in a particularly chipper voice.

“I think I’m going to head out today to the Crystal Empire library, there is some research I need to do involving the magic of the crystal heart. Sorry, I’m going to be gone all day.” Twilight made a somewhat fake smile at Spike.

“That’s ok. I was going to go over to Fluttershy’s cottage today, anyway.” Spike nevertheless was a little disappointed.

“What were you planning to do there?”

“Apparently, Fluttershy found a dragon, and she needs help taming it. She said I was perfect for the job, being well… a dragon, and all.”

Twilight wanted to know more, but she was stripped for time. “Ah, ok. Just don’t hurt yourself, Spike.” Twilight was genuinely concerned for him. Even though Spike was a dragon himself, and was quite harmless, other dragons could be very different. Especially the one that was sleeping in that mountain blowing smoke all over Ponyville.

“Don’t worry about me, Twilight. I’ll be fine, and Fluttershy is an expert with animals.”

Twilight had to agree with that. She knew so much about EVERYTHING, and yet, she knew very little about animals, ESPECIALLY dragons.
“Well ok then Spike. I’ve got to go now, I’ll see you later tonight.”

She finished up her breakfast, climbed off her chair and made her way to the front door, magicing her saddlebags onto her back. She opened the door and was just about to step outside before spike called.

“Wait! Twilight, don’t forget your scarf. It’s winter at the Crystal Empire at the moment.”

Twilight levitated her scarf from her room, twisting it onto her neck. She was thankful spike remembered, or she would have been quite cold. Winters at the Empire were colder than others. With a final mental check of her things, Twilight continued out the door. “Bye Spike!” She closed the door behind her and started making her way to the train station.


Spike sat in silence, as he finished up the last bite of his toast. He licked the plate clean with his tongue-almost 3 times as long as he is- and placed it onto the kitchen counter. He would have to clean the dishes later, but now, he had to go out and help Fluttershy.

He took Twilight’s plate and placed it onto the counter too before making his way out the front door of the castle. The weather pegasi sure did a good job today- the sky was a brilliant blue with the rare puffy white cloud. Spike was sure he could spot a light cerulean mare with a rainbow mane shoot across the sky in the corner of his eye.

He made his way down the main street of Ponyville. He passed Sugarcube corner, and started down the gravel path towards Fluttershy’s cottage. Her cottage was actually a fair distance from the small town, almost a 10 minute walk. The peaceful meadow that contained the cottage came into view, and the track turned from gravel to stone. In front of the cottage there were some beavers building a dam in the stream, and there was a squirrel in a tree, the flying one, Spike assumed. Spike spotted an all-too familiar rabbit, one that always held a glare, and never seemed to like anyone.

Spike made it to the door, and nocked twice. He heard quiet hoofsteps on the other side before they stopped, shortly after the door slowly creaked open, revealing one eye of the shy yellow Pegasus. It took one look at Spike before the door flung open revealing a quite happy Fluttershy.

“Oh Spike! You’re here!”

Without further delay Fluttershy leapt forward and hugged Spike.

“Whoa Fluttershy, stop it, I can’t breathe!” Spike said, jokingly.

Fluttershy let go of spike and beckoned spike into the house.

“The dragon that I found is out back. He’s quite aggressive, I didn’t want him to harm any of my other pets.”

Spike began to worry. This dragon sounded like it could very well be quite dangerous. “How big is it?”

“About the same size as you.”

And with that, all of Spike’s worries disappeared. That thing was probably harmless, plus, Spike was immune to fire and lava. The two walked down a hallway before coming to a door. Fluttershy opened it and they both walked through into her back yard. It was much the same as the front of her house, but it had a portion of it fenced off. They walked up to it and Spike peered over the top.

He froze.

“F…Fluttersh…shy… where’d you find that?”

“Oh, I found it on the Everfree forest. The poor thing, it must have been abandoned by it’s mother.”

“That…that’s a-a… Dialga dragon… a shape shifter…”

Spike had a rather limited knowledge of the extremely secluded species, but he knew this one. This dragon was known to wipe out entire kingdoms, mercilessly, by acting as a Trojan horse.

“Fluttershy….RUN!

Author's Note:

Well there we go! I know it was quite short, but it's supposed to be a bit of a test for me to get my writing style in check. How about the pacing? Am I going too fast?
Any criticism is welcome, but creative criticism is preferred.

I have noticed the difficulty of working with previously established characters and settings- you must abide by what they already are. If you notice any inconsistencies with the settings or characters please let me know.