• Published 18th May 2012
  • 13,525 Views, 801 Comments

From The Gates - Dirty Bit



6 old creatures, 1 new life for each of them. Will they manage?

  • ...
26
 801
 13,525

Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Raising Awareness

Wrath trotted in front with Celestia and Luna trotting side-by-side behind him as they made their way towards Shining Armor and Cadence's room. The furious pony took point with a familiar look of hardened vigor in his uncovered eye while exerting some of his unparalleled rage in small bursts. He knew that he would have to be ready for anything like back in Amestris.

Celestia and Luna traded glances towards each other as they felt the small snippits of rage from Wrath. While they both applauded at his efforts of stimulating the strength of the Royal Guard, they both felt uneasy about his natural-born rage that he kept within himself being revealed before anything large happened "We're almost to their room, Wrath. No offense to your mood, but it would be best if I did the talking..."

Wrath shifted his eye to Celestia and spoke in a neutral tone despite his current anger "I understand..."

When they reached their desired destination, Celestia trotted up and rapped at the door three times. The trio were lucky to have Cadence answer the door "Hello, Princess Celestia!" She looked behind to see Luna looking serious and Wrath looking very angry "What...What is going on?" She looked up to Celestia "Is it something we should know about?"

The solar princess only gave a solemn nod and Cadence allowed them inside.
_____

After a moment of explanation, Shining Armor looked down in thought as he rested on his bed "So the changelings plan to strike again...and Wrath was able to distinguish one of them on the training grounds so easily?"

Wrath looked away "To be truthful, the one I discovered was easy on account of two fatal errors to his camouflage. But that does not matter now..."

Celestia nodded "In any case, we've approached you two because you both hold the proper defense mechanism needed to fend off the changelings until they choose to cease their advance. I'm sorry, but your vacation shall end early with this problem surfacing Canterlot."

Cadence shook her head "It's no problem at all, Celestia. We need to be ready for this anyways. We can't bear another changeling attack on our city or the rest of Equestria!" She then gasped "What if they-"

Celestia held up a hoof "Wrath has performed the courtesy of sending a firm warning to the element bearers in Ponyville. I may not know the capabilities of Wrath's siblings firsthoof, but I'm sure they can handle themselves in a fight or two if they can escape Tartarus."

Shining Armor looked at the rest of the group "But where does that leave us? Sure we have our shield, but they could expect it and counter with some kind of decoy! Could we be sure they don't have something else planned?"

Wrath looked out the window "A good question..." He turned to Shining Armor "What would you propose we should do, Mustang?"

Luna tilted her head in confusion at Wrath's nickname to Shining Armor, but focused when the guard captain replied "Well, me and my wife saw how you've trained the guards, and I'd say you've managed to do well for them in a course of a day and a half. We'd like to see them on patrol duty so they could be able to locate any foreign danger of any kind!"

Wrath smirked at Shining Armor's suggestion and how it was coated with minor flattery "I never thought you would give me praise like this..." His smirk was then replaced with a grave frown "But we still need the shield up. We musn't ignore a good defense against a familiar enemy if we wish to survive..."

Shining Armor looked down "I suppose there's no argument there..." He then slowly rose from his bed and grunted as his injured hooves touched the ground. The guard captain looked up at Wrath with a small smirk "You know, I kind of blame you for my current condition while this problem chose to reveal itself..."

Wrath nodded "I understand, and I utterly apologize for this, Mustang..."

Shining Armor waved a hoof "Don't worry about it. We just have to get in place for this spell." He turned to his wife with a knowing glance and she nodded in reply.

Luna spoke up "Then let us make haste to our throne room so we can set up thine shield proper! We musn't tarry like this!" The group then made their way out of the room and back to the throne room. Once they reached it, Celestia, Luna, and Wrath stood by and waited for Shining Armor and Cadence to ready their spell.

Shining Armor and Cadence stood in place as their horns touched and a magical field ebbed and flowed around them in a magnificent luminescent glow. Wrath watched in both wonder and intrigue 'Amazing...So this is the capability of a unicorn? I can only wonder how Shining Armor's younger sister can handle herself with her own magic...'

After a moment of mustering their magic, a blinding flash filled the room as a magenta sphere instantly filled through the room. The sides of it passed through Celestia, Luna, and Wrath, the latter flinching at the passing. The sphere then expanded exponentially outside of the castle and spreaded through the city of Canterlot. The changeling that was kept in the castle was then pushed out into the air with the rising shield.

The two changelings that were stationed for spying screamed in surprise as they came into contact with the shield and have been flung out of the city and into a crash course back to their hive. The ponies they conversed with before stared up slack-jawed in disbelief. Soon enough, the entire city of Canterlot, castle in all, was covered in a giant magenta shield.

Wrath looked out of a window and uttered breathlessly "Remarkable..." He was at a loss for words other than what he had just spoke 'Such a defense mechanism...if Amestris were to get their hands on it...'

Luna trotted up and signalled for the furious pony to step aside as she cleared her throat. Wrath was confused at first, but then covered his ears once Luna spoke in an entirely different volume "CITIZENS OF CANTERLOT! THIS IS YOUR PRINCESS LUNA GIVING YOU PROPER WARNING WITH THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!! WE HAVE BEEN MET WITH A SHADED ENCOUNTER CONDUCTED BY NONE OTHER THAN THE CHANGELING SWARM, AND HAVE CHOSEN TO TAKE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS FOR THINE OWN GOOD!!! FOR ALL WHO TAKE RESIDENCE, FRIEND OR NEIGH, THOU MUST TAKE REFUGE IN THINE OWN HOME AND BAND TOGETHER TO FEND OFF THIS LATEST AND FAMILIAR THREAT!! THAT IS ALL!!" She took a deep breath after she spoke and turned to the others "The message to our people have been sent..." She looked over and noticed a furious pony in disarray and felt slight guilt "Ah, of course. Forgive us, Wrath. That is what we call the Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice."

Wrath recovered from the verbal onslaught before he bowed to Luna "It is of no harm so long as the citizens have gotten the message. I've never expect such a powerful voice from one such as yourself, your highness."

Celestia trotted up "Well, we've manged to bring up the shield." She turned to Wrath "I believe it is your turn to station the guards, Captain Wrath. When can you begin guard placement around the city?"

Wrath looked up with a serious gaze "Immediately..."
_____

Greed and Twilight galloped along Ponyville and noticed that most of the others were trotting back at a casual pace. Twilight galloped over and stopped in front of them "Hey, everypony! Are you all okay!?"

Rainbow Dash was confused to Twilight's tone of voice "What are you talking about, egghead? Of course we're okay!"

Greed looked around and then turned to Gluttony "Hey, Gluttony! Where's Lust and the others?"

Gluttony pointed a hoof towards Sweet Apple Acres "She's getting Sloth and Envy to come back with the rest of us! Do you want to go look for them?"

Greed shook his head "Nah, they'll be fine..."

Twilight turned to Greed in shock "Aren't you worried about them, Greed!? They're your family!!"

Greed turned to Twilight with a smirk "And I've already told you that they're trained for this kind of thing. Especially Sloth! Wait til you see him in action!"

Applejack looked at Greed "So the stallion ain't so lazy after all, huh?"

Pinkie jumped up and down "Oh! Oh! I'll bet he'll act like a terrifying giant when he fights somepony! Probably like-" She then stomps in place with a look of mock anger and a deep tone "Fe Fi Fo Fum!!" Gluttony giggled at Pinkie's action.

Rarity turned to Twilight "Won't you tell us now and save us the trouble of walking back to your home, darling? What has gotten into you all of the sudden?"

Twilight looked back at Rarity with worry "This has to be said to you and Greed's family before anypony else! Now let's get going! If what Greed says is right, then Lust will join us in no time!" The large group of ponies then made their way back to the library.

When they were all in the library, save for Sloth, they gathered around with their own respective expressions to the situation. Greed, Lust, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack maintained a calm and cool composure as they waited for the news to reach the others. Gluttony simply played with Pinkie by clopping their forelegs together in a patty-cake fashion, oblivious to the current matter. Rarity and Fluttershy were mildly worried about hearing the news. Envy merely sat on its haunches as it stared wide-eyed at the floor with its teeth bared with complete disregard to the matter at hoof. Its pupils trembled as it stammered in disbelief "I-...this-...this can't-...n-no-...but-...b-but-..."

Rainbow Dash looked at Envy and trotted over with a smug tone "You thought you managed to leave us all so quickly, huh, palm tree head?" She was met with Envy giving no response other than its current action. Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow and spoke again "Not so tough now, are you? I'll bet you probably ran into a manticore in the forest!!" No response once more. The cyan pegasus now felt slight worry and concern for Envy as she spoke in a softer tone "Hey...Envy, are you alright?"

Pinkie looked over "Yeah, Envy! You're starting to sound like a black blob wearing a mask! What's wrong?"

Lust looked at Rainbow Dash and Pinkie "I believe its best to give Envy time to think. The poor dear's disoriented..."

Twilight Sparkle spoke up "Okay, everypony, listen up! This does not leave the library until we actually feel ready to spread the word!" She waited for the group to direct their attention. She noticed Envy not paying attention and called out to it "Envy, pay attention! This is serious!"

Greed looked at Lust, who gave a knowing nod, and the avaricious pony returned one of his own as he spoke "Just get on with the news, Twi. We can't keep everypony waiting..." Twilight went to retort until Greed spoke again "Trust me, we'll tell Envy later if the message doesn't get through."

Twilight sighed in defeat before she began "Canterlot has been met with another changeling attack!" The group, save for Greed, Lust, and Envy, gave a gasp in surprise "And if that isn't enough, there's possible warning of changelings roaming the streets of Ponyville! We gathered you all here so we could possibly snuff out any rogue changeling before they decide to attack!"

Gluttony spoke up "Changelings? You mean like E-" He had a hoof lightly cover his mouth and shush him. He turned to see Lust shake her head.

Twilight continued "We don't know how exactly to approach this sudden situation, but we'll be sure to keep a sharp eye out for any disturbances around town and take whatever actions necessary to quell any rising problems!"

Fluttershy looked down "So we'll have to fight again? Oh dear..." She looked over and noticed Envy's unchanged expression of utter hysteria. The timid mare trotted over to comfort Envy to at least try and bring its shock down.

Envy stayed in its spot until it spoke up "I-I'm..."

Twilight and the others turned to face the jealous pony as it tried to speak up "I-I'm sorry...I'm sorry for everything!" Its tone rose in volume "I'm sorry! Whatever I did to deserve this fate, I'm sorry, okay!?" It shouted to nopony in particular, causing massive confusion to flood the room.

Applejack spoke up "Simmer down now, sugarcube. Sorry fer what? Is it somethin' y'all did on yer lonesome?"

Both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash never expected an actual apology out of Envy and the timid mare nuzzled Envy's cheek "Whatever it was you did, I'm sure it wasn't big. You're forgiven, Envy..." She inwardly smiled at the progress the jealous pony was making.

Rainbow Dash tilted her head in confusion "What's gotten into you, Envy? First you're a total jerk and now this! Is there something wrong with your head?"

Envy kept staring at the floor "I don't know!! I just don't know why I have to live like this!!" It continued shouting. The cyan pegasus was unaware if it was a reply or another shout into nothingness. She decided to trot over and slowly inch a hoof to Envy's shoulder, but then it instinctively swatted the hoof away once it made contact "D-Don't touch me!!" It spoke in a tone mixed with anger and fear. It then quickly moved away from Fluttershy "J-Just stay back!"

Twilight spoke "Envy!! What's wrong with you!?"

Envy stood on all four legs and hyperventilated, stuck with the realization of its cruel fate upon having to feed on somepony else's love in order to survive. It growled loudly in frustration before it bolted out of the door after it pushed Greed out of the way.

Rainbow Dash saw this and called out "Hey! Get back here!!" She took flight out the door after Envy, leaving the rest to wonder how this will all turn out.
_____

Envy galloped and pushed through crowds of ponies before making its way towards a vast and vacant meadow. It then took refuge under a tree and gave shuddered breaths 'No...No...NONONONONONO!!!' It grunted between some breaths, and even collapsed under its feet with the wieght it felt "I can't! I just can't!! This is all one sick farce, I just know it!!!" It was hard for the jealous pony to collect itself with the small migraine it felt with so much mental truama over its realization.

"There you are!!"

Envy did not bother to perk up when it heard the sound of Rainbow Dash yelling as she flew over and landed near Envy with an angry expression "What is wrong with you? Do you have some kind of strange fear over changelings or something? Why'd you have to just run out like tha-"

"Why do you bother?"

Rainbow Dash stopped in confusion "What? What are you talking about?"

Envy spoke again through its shuddered breaths with its head hung down "Why...do...you...bother!?" It tried to incorporate venom in its words but they were only filled with genuine confusion and curiousity "Why do you bother with me!? You know I'm considered the worst of them all, so why!?"

Rainbow Dash paused at the jealous pony's question before she spoke in her determined and matter-of-fact tone "Because you're my responsibility! Not to mention you're technically my student! That, and you have a family, for Celestia's sake!! What more do you want?"

Envy slowly brought its head up and managed to surpress a glare under its wild mane "I want to know WHY! I can care less about responsibility! You could've just ditched me whenever you pleased, but you just kept giving me attention!! Why!?"

Rainbow Dash took Envy's question into thought. Envy was practically the worst pegasus she ever met, but there was more to watching the jealous pony than mere responsibility, and she stood proudly when she found the answer "Because it's my element."

Envy looked up with a confused glare "E-Element?"

Rainbow Dash nodded "That's right! I'm the Element of Loyalty! That means I'll stick with anypony I deem fit to the end, especially my friends!! I never actually considered you a friend with your personality, but Fluttershy and Pinkie think otherwise, and they're usually better with other ponies. I stayed because I cared about Fluttershy's safety, but she cares about making you a better pony whether you like it or not! If she wants to make you a friend, I won't go against her. In fact, as crazy as it sounds, I should follow her example and make you my friend!"

Envy grunted again and spoke "Y-You-..." It narrowed its eyes into a piercing glare "You idiot..." Rainbow Dash stared in confusion "You think it's that easy to just be friends just because you say so!? I don't have friends, and I damn well don't need them either! I'm fine on my own!"

Rainbow Dash scoffed "Sheesh, you're still fighting like this...Also, no offense, but that sounds like something a jealous pony would sa-" She stopped herself in a brief pause before she facehoofed herself hard 'I am so stupid...' "It all makes sense now!!" She looked down at Envy with a knowing smile "You're jealous...You're jealous of me and my friends and how we have something going, right? I mean, you're name is Envy, so it has to make sense somehow, shouldn't it?"

Envy grunted and widened its eyes up at Rainbow Dash with a trembling breath. After hearing those words, it began to have a flashback.
_____

"How come? How come? How come!?"

"Envy...You're...jealous of humans..."

"Humans are supposed to be so much weaker than you homunculi, and yet even if we are beaten down, and get discouraged, or seem like we're about to go astray and fall, we still stand up to the challenge, again and again. Those who are around us pick us back up."

"And you...you're envious of humans like that."

"It's so humiliating to end up like a worn-out dishrag...walked on all over by you humans...you loathsome beings..."

"What's worse, of all the scum out there, this scummiest pipsqueak had to be the one..."

"Damn it...How humiliating! Me, Envy...jealous of you humans? Me, Envy!?"

"Me, Envy, being understood by this kid? That's the ultimate humiliation."

*snap*

"Bye-bye...Edward...Elric..."
_____

Envy's pupils trembled up at Rainbow Dash along with its breath as it envisioned the cyan pegasus as the Fullmetal Alchemist himself with those same words 'First the pipsqueak...now her, too!? No...Why?? WHY!?' The jealous pony lost its voice and could only find the familiar feeling of tears flowing from its eyes for the second time in its life.

Rainbow Dash saw this and was both confused and concerned "Huh? Envy? Are...Are you crying?"

Envy sniffled and retorted in a hoarse snap "N-No! I-...I-I can't be!! I-..." The jealous pony tried hard in its being to deny the river of tears it began to create. It hiccuped as it tried to suppress a defensive glare.

Rainbow Dash stood there and watched Envy wallow in a new pit of sadness and could not help but feel pity for how it projected its feelings. She gave a solemn sigh and spoke in a tone that betrayed no sympathy for the jealous pony "Come on, Envy. If it makes you feel any better, I kinda get caught in my own moments of crying as well. I try not to let these moments get me, but they just happen. Even I don't know why. But with you, I'm kinda surprised...Here I thought you were the worst pegasus I've ever met, totally alien to being sorry, but all this time it was just jealousy. Sheer jealousy. I guess I have a lot to learn from you after all..." She gave Envy a friendly smile.

Envy stared up with its tear-stained eyes in disbelief as it gave another shuddered breath. All the time they spent and Rainbow Dash was willing to leave it in the dust for the sake of not only loyalty, but friendship altogether "Y-You-..."

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and waved a hoof "Yeah, I know it sounds too good to be true, but I mean it! You got a lot to learn from us, and we have a lot to learn from you and your family. So why don't we just go back to Twilight's place, solve this whole changeling issue, and see what we can do from there? Maybe we can hang and see where it takes us! It's what friends do!"

Envy could not believe its ears. If it had the strength, it would commit suicide like it would back then, but a small and inviting feeling appeared inside of the jealous pony 'F-...Friends...' It only stared back at the cyan pegasus smiling at it. Envy then slowly brought itself to its feet, staggering in keeping balance, until it stood on all fours.

Rainbow Dash nodded in approval "That's the spirit! Let's head back now! We don't wanna keep 'em waiting, right?" She kept her smile and unfurled her wings before she took flight.

Envy stared up at the fading image of Rainbow Dash flying off 'Of all the ponies in this world and it had to be this one...' It wiped its eyes and held back more tears before it unfurled its wings and took off after Rainbow Dash.
_____

At the changeling hive, Father practiced the capabilities of his magic on certain objects such as rocks. So far, he had mastered telekinesis, shields, and rays as demonstrated by Chrysalis, who watched in intrigue.

Chrysalis was more than impressed at the progress the pale alicorn was making and smirked in satisfaction "You certainly are no stranger to the arcane arts to excel in the spells you have learned under me, Father. Certainly, you're closer to your goal than you can imagine!"

Father looked at the changeling queen with a bored smile "Was there ever any doubt? I was born for this moment...Now all that remains is to determine the exact moment to storm the walls of Canterlot..."

There was a muffled zipping sound, and both Father and Chrysalis looked around to see where it was coming from. Chrysalis jumped when the roof was struck open three times to reveal three battered changelings at her feet. The changeling queen stammered "Wha-...What is the meaning of this!? Why are you here!?" The changelings chattered and clicked after they gave pained hisses. One of them was badly injured and it looked at Chrysalis with pleading eyes. Chrysalis growled "That doesn't answer my question!! Unless..." She thought for a moment before she looked up "They knew you were at Canterlot!? But how!?"

The changeling in the most pain spoke "Wr-...Wraaath...Wraaath..."

Father turned his head to the changeling and gazed intently while Chrysalis spat out in fury "Who in Equestria is named Wrath!? More importantly, why have you chose to fail me like this!?" She growled in frustration "To think it was a good idea to send spies to examine the activity in Canterlot..."

"It was..."

Chrysalis turned to Father, who held a devious smirk "The changelings you sent were not so much spies as they were messengers..." He flared his wings as he looked up at the three holes made by the spies in the roof "And the message has been sent..."

Chrysalis snarled "Just what are you talking about!? They know we're about to attack!! Just what message were they sending when they'll expect us now!?"

Father kept his smile "They expect changelings..." This caused the changeling queen to pause as a grin formed on Father's face "They're not expecting an alicorn..." With that, he took flight and soared through one of the holes in the roof to make his flight to Canterlot.

End of Chapter 28