• Published 18th May 2012
  • 13,538 Views, 801 Comments

From The Gates - Dirty Bit



6 old creatures, 1 new life for each of them. Will they manage?

  • ...
26
 801
 13,538

Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Humble Pie

At Sugarcube Corner, the front door opened to reveal Pinkie hopping out with Gluttony following her "Ah, isn't this a super-duper day, Gluttony? And the best part is teaching you how to laugh will be easy as pie!!" The party pony noticed her own joke and laughed "Get it?"

The voracious pony beamed at Pinkie "What do we do first? I wanna eat something! Why wouldn't you let me eat those children I saw?"

Pinkie giggled "Just because I said Pumpkin and Pound were so cute you would eat them up doesn't mean you actually EAT them! You really are a silly pony, Gluttony, but that's why I like you!" She looked down and pondered "We have the day to ourselves since Mr. and Mrs. Cake have the shop under control..." She looked around and she smiled when she noticed Rainbow Dash and Envy trotting along "Hey! Maybe we can hang out with Dashie and Envy!!"

Gluttony looked ahead and absent-mindedly agreed "Okay! But can we eat something first? I'm very hungry!"

Pinkie turned to Gluttony "You really do eat more than I do! No wonder you beat me at the cupcake-eating contest!" She pulled out another cupcake from her mane and Gluttony's drool seered at the ground when he caught the sight of the delicious morsel "Here ya go! This'll hold you over for the time being!" She tossed it into the voracious pony's mouth and he chewed contently "Now let's go hang out with our friends, shall we?"

Gluttony swallowed his meal and smiled at Pinkie "Okay!" The two then trotted towards the pegasi with spring in each of their steps.
_____

Rainbow Dash looked up at the sky and sighed 'Why the hay am I walking with this jerk? I should be flying right now! But then again, I should make sure Envy doesn't do anything bad to Fluttershy...I'll knock that pony senseless if that even happens!' She then noticed Pinkie and Gluttony and waved with a smile "Oh, hey there, Pinkie! Hey Gluttony!"

Envy noticed the pair as well and glared daggers at Pinkie with a low growl "You again..."

Pinkie hopped in front of them and waved "Hiya, Dashie! How's it going with Envy?"

Rainbow looked at the jealous pony with narrowed eyes "We haven't reached Fluttershy's yet and it could be better..."

Envy kept its glare on Pinkie and replied "I agree...What are you even doing here anyway?"

Pinkie tilted her head "You mean Ponyville? I live here, silly!" She hopped around "And it's the best place in Equestria aside from Canterlot since the princesses live there! Oh, and Twilight's brother! Hey, I forgot your brother's there as well, too! I'll bet you miss him already! Do you miss him? Huh? Huh? Huh?" She got closer to Envy with each question.

Envy pushed Pinkie out of its personal space and snarled "I'm not in the mood for your crap, you ignoramus! Why don't you bother someone else!?"

Pinkie kept her smile as she approached Envy once more "But Sloth's not around! He thinks everything's a bother! Or was it a pain? Mendokusai? I can't really tell the difference! He seems like a good pony to hang out with if he weren't so tired!" She turns to Gluttony "Gluttony here's so full of energy even if he eats too much, and he talks so nicely about you and your other siblings!"

Gluttony nodded to Pinkie "It's true! I love my family very much!" He then stopped and looked down sadly "Well...I don't like Pride..."

Pinkie tilted her head "Pride? Who's Pride? Is he nice?? Why wasn't he with you?"

Rainbow Dash turned to Envy "Yeah, that's a good question!" She squinted her eyes at the jealous pony "You aren't up to something, are you? Cuz' I'll let the others know and they'll be on you like-"

Envy snapped "Save your threats! You don't scare me!" It then looked away "As for your question on Pride, no, he's not nice...And he isn't here either..." It narrowed its eyes and gritted its teeth at the memory of the oldest of the seven homunculi children 'That arrogant bastard...Can't believe he was Father's favorite...'

Rainbow Dash was confused to Envy's angered expression "You okay, Envy? Anything you wanna talk about?"

Envy snapped out of its negative thought and turned to Rainbow Dash "No, nothing at all. Now why don't you lead me to that coward's house already?" It then turned and glared at Pinkie "And why don't you go and make more friends or something!?"

Pinkie giggled "But I don't need to go when I can stay and make friends-" She rose up and quickly tied the strands of Envy's wild mane into a knot "-with you~!" The party pony beamed at Envy, oblivious to the towering anger building inside of the jealous pony.

Rainbow Dash turned to Envy and glared "Calm down, palm tree head! It wouldn't hurt to bring Pinkie and your brother along! Who knows? They could probably help you be more nice around other ponies!"

Envy growled as it undid the knot in its mane and glared back at Rainbow Dash "Why the hell should I be kind to those I don't even feel like talking to? I don't even like them!"

Pinkie frowned "But what if they like you? You'll never know til you try, Envy!" She stopped and giggled "Too bad I can't get a nickname for you! Unless I went for N-V, but that would be too silly!"

Rainbow Dash laughed at Pinkie's suggestion "Hey, maybe we could teach Envy how to laugh before we head to Fluttershy's!" Rainbow Dash and Pinkie then broke into more laughter. Gluttony soon joined in with how infectious their laughter was around him. All three were unaware of the hateful glare they were receiving from Envy. The cyan pegasus wiped a tear from her laughter and spoke "Okay, I think we had our fun! Let's head to Fluttershy's!"

They all trotted in a group and Envy trotted last with the same hateful glare on its face as it muttered "Assholes..."
_____

The group, now numbering four, came across a beautiful cottage with all sorts of animals and trees. Gluttony looked around and stared hungrily at the many critters that scampered along the yards "So tasty! Can I eat them!?"

Envy gave an evil grin "Sure, why no-"

A hoof was stuffed into the jealous pony's mouth as Rainbow Dash turned to Gluttony with a stern gaze "No way, Gluttony! Those are Fluttershy's pets! She wouldn't like that at all!"

Gluttony looked down with a sullen expression "Okay..."

Envy growled and bit down on the hoof in its mouth, causing Rainbow Dash to yelp and draw back her hoof "Not cool!"

The jealous pony rubbed its mouth and spat at the side "Watch where you stuff your hoof next time, prismatic prick!" The two stopped in their tracks and glared at each other.

Pinkie, however, trotted up to the cottage's door and knocked "Fluttershy! You home? We're here!"

On cue, the wooden door opened to reveal the timid mare "Oh, hello, Pinkie!" She looked around "Where's Rainbow Dash and Envy? I expected them to be here..." She looked down "I hope they didn't forget..."

Pinkie waved a hoof "Of course not! They're over there having a staring contest!" She pointed to where the two pegasi looked as if they were about to duke it out in an all-or-nothing deathmatch.

Fluttershy noticed the tension and gasped "Oh my...we better get over there..." She opened the door and trotted over.

Gluttony watched the two pegasi as Rainbow Dash broke the tensed silence between her and Envy "I only did that because I didn't wanna see what would happen if Gluttony actually DID eat Fluttershy's animals! I don't know what the hay your problem is, but you're making this a whole lot worse for the both of us! I'm supposed to look after you, you know!"

Envy scoffed "Supposed to, my ass! You just chose to step in because you were so concerned about that coward you call a friend! I never exactly wanted to go with neither of you to begin with! I just tagged along for the ride because my dumbass brother managed to get us out of a bind!"

Rainbow Dash snapped at Envy "In that case you should be grateful instead of being an insensitive jerk! Greed's a much better friend than you, and we've only just met the guy! And stop calling Fluttershy a coward!"

Envy snapped back "I don't give a damn what you think about Greed or me! And for the record, I call it as I see it! She's probably afraid of her own shadow!!"

"Um, actually...it's true..."

The two pegasi and Gluttony turned to see Fluttershy approach them with Pinkie in tow. She stopped in front of them and sighed in relief "Thank goodness it didn't get any worse..." The timid mare smiled at them "It's good to know you're both here. Thank you both for coming..."

Rainbow Dash lowered her aggression and returned the smile "It's no problem, Fluttershy..." She then shot a nasty look at Envy "As long as SOMEPONY learns how to act better around others..." The two went back to glaring at each other.

Fluttershy frowned and stepped in "Please, you two, don't fight like this! Can't you two be more sincere with each other since you two live together?"

Rainbow Dash turned to Fluttershy "Tell that to the incredible palm tree-headed jerk over here! That pony's unbearable!"

Envy gritted its teeth "The feeling's mutual! I should probably just bail and have my own fun without your multicolored ass watching me..."

The cyan pegasus got into Envy's face "Over my dead body!"

Envy pushed back with a growl "That can be arranged..."

Rainbow Dash put more force into her push "You and what army, chump!?"

Envy did the same as the tension grew once more "I'm more than enough to take you down, bitch!!"

Pinkie noticed the rising aggression between the pegasi and thought of something to make it subside completely "I know! How about we all just go inside and-"

Envy and Rainbow Dash turned to Pinkie and shouted simultaneously "Not now, Pinkie!!"

Pinkie quickly shied away with a nervous grin "Okay, just a suggestion! Not that I wanted to stop something big from happening..." She focused her attention to a flustered Fluttershy with her eyes clenched shut from Rainbow Dash and Envy's insults and shouts, and her grin faded away knowing what was going to happen next.

Rainbow Dash turned to Envy "I'd like to see you try and keep up with me if you're thinking about throwing down, palm tree head!!" She unfurled her wings, ready to take to the skies.

Envy did the same "I'll gladly let you take the first swing and see if you can match my strength before I kill you, prismatic prick!!" The pegasi went to launch themselves and prepare for a fight.

Fluttershy had enough and yelled "STOP!" For the first time, Fluttershy sounded loud enough to make even Pinkie and Gluttony jump. Rainbow Dash and Envy turned to see a stern look on Fluttershy's face "I'm disappointed with how the two of you want to fight each other to solve your problems! You both are so inconsiderate of each other's well-being even though you should be learning from one another!!"

Rainbow Dash quivered at Fluttershy's outburst and defended herself "How would I learn from Envy? If anything I-"

Fluttershy interrupted "I don't want to hear it, Rainbow Dash! I understand you want to be loyal, but your's and Envy's conflict is not good for anypony! Not even Gluttony!"

The voracious pony in question was found chewing on some grass from the ground and gave a muffled hum in question when his name was called.

Fluttershy turned to Envy "And you! Why couldn't you be more mature and caring around Rainbow Dash let alone anypony that would speak with you!? I should have a talk with your mother about your intolerable behavior!"

Envy was unphased by Fluttershy's sudden mood shift and scoffed "Well well, the coward finally grew a pair..." It smirked at the timid mare "I don't think you know this, but I don't really have a mother...and also..." It leaned into Fluttershy's face with a dark glare "I don't think you know who you're messing with..." it spoke in a low and dangerous tone.

Rainbow Dash had a mind to cut in, but noticed the look in Fluttershy's eyes and stayed on the sidelines with a knowing smile 'Hehe, that pony's in for it now...'

Pinkie watched and shivered "Uh oh, this isn't gonna be good..."

Glutttony swallowed the grass and watched Fluttershy and Envy "What? What's happening? Is Envy going to kill her? What?"

Fluttershy closed her eyes for a short moment before she opened them up in an ominous glare. The atmosphere around the timid mare completely changed once her eyes have flared open.

Envy glared back before it became engrossed in Fluttershy's eyes with a look of shock. The jealous pony's body trembled along with its pupils 'Wh-What the-!? What's going on!? Why can't I move or look away from her!? It's as if I'm being torn apart on the inside!!' It continued to look into Fluttershy's eyes as they leered back at the jealous pony 'Is she doing this!? All she's doing is looking at me! How can she do this!?'

Gluttony noticed how different Envy looked and went to shift his gaze to Fluttershy, but Pinkie pulled him away "Don't look at it, Gluttony!"

The voracious pony turned to Pinkie with a quizzical glance "What is she doing, Pinkie?"

Pinkie had a look of sheer worry in her eyes as she whispered in horror "The Stare..." Gluttony already felt a shiver down his spine with the way Pinkie uttered her words and slowly nodded in comprehension. Rainbow Dash simply watched Envy in smug amusement with how the jealous pony was being easily handled by Fluttershy.

Fluttershy stared long enough before she finally spoke in her stern motherly tone "Now I don't know why you have to act so mean, but while you're learning under me and my friends, you'll learn to be more nice or else I'll make sure you get the message with another stare! You WILL be more cooperative and caring around us and never act mean again! Understand!?"

Envy could not bear the intense physiological pain it was dealing with just by looking at Fluttershy and blankly answered "O-Okay...I get it...I-I'm sorry..."

After the hypnotically fear-induced apology, Fluttershy cancelled out her stare and her anger was replaced with her former calm and kind demeanor "Thank you, Envy...Now that this has stopped, why don't we go inside for tea and cookies before we get started?"

Gluttony perked up with a hungry grin "Cookies!?"

Pinkie turned to Gluttony "Yep! Looks like we made the right choice following Dashie and Envy to Fluttershy's, huh, Gluttony?"

Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Gluttony made their way inside the cottage while leaving a shellshocked Envy and a satisfied Rainbow Dash out on the front yard. Rainbow Dash decided to make her way inside as well, but not before she trotted past Envy with a smug smile "Don't think she's much of a coward now, huh?" She spoke in a tone that betrayed no accomplished satisfaction from witnessing the earlier scene.

Envy stood for a moment before it shook itself out of its pause and looked down as it gave a frustrated growl 'Is this some kind of cruel joke?' It then looked up and begrudgingly joined the rest of the group. The jealous pony's pride crumbled from having to be bested by the look in a coward's eyes.

End of Chapter 22