• Published 18th May 2012
  • 13,541 Views, 801 Comments

From The Gates - Dirty Bit



6 old creatures, 1 new life for each of them. Will they manage?

  • ...
26
 801
 13,541

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Family Reunion

Wrath and Greed traveled along the paths of Tartarus for what seemed like hours. They made sure to stay under any passing demon's radar while they made their way around each twist and turn their routes had to offer. Greed was beginning to grow bored and impatient with how far him and Wrath went without any sign of changes. While they ran, the furious pony noticed one of the vacant cages looking different "Hey, Greed!"

The two skidded to a halt and Greed turned to Wrath with a raised eyebrow "What is it? You found something interesting?" The furious pony nodded and trotted back for a moment to view the cage he had his sights on. Greed followed and noticed with widened eyes "Huh..."

Upon further inspection, a majority of the cell's bars were gone as if someone busted out with immense strength. Greed looked closer and noticed that there were bite marks along each of the remaining cells. The avaricious pony poked his chin with a hoof and turned to Wrath "You don't think...?"

Wrath looked back "Only one way to find out. Forward!" He resumed his gallop with Greed following.

Their continued journey along the bowels of Tartarus proved to be just as fruitless as when they started until they reached a corner and noticed two demons flying down from patrol duty and landed a few feet away. The two former homunculi silenced and hid themselves as they eavesdropped on any possible conversation.

The first demon spoke up "Some of the newer additions to this place are nothing but trouble! They're making our jobs seem even harder with how they're escaping!"

The other demon shuddered "Don't remind me! I heard one of the new escapees managed to eat one of our patrols like a mere snack! I just hope the reinforcements manages to hold him down!"

The first demon scratched his head "I think I saw him before, but wasn't he with somepony? She looked rather stunning actually. Way out of that monster's league, if you ask me! But then again, we're technically monsters ourselves...Ah, geez, this is getting weird! We can't be afraid of some simple ponies, even if one of them's bat-shit crazy! Let's find and help the others!" The two demons took flight and made their way along the prison.

Greed could barely contain his grin when he noted what he had just heard "Yep...definitely them..."

Wrath managed a small smile "And they managed to end up here together...How fitting. Let's follow those demons and see if we can help them." The two ponies galloped and followed the flying demons at a safe distance. If what they think was true, then it could be possible to locate the rest of their family.

After a large period of travel, Wrath and Greed noticed a trail of blood and a small amount of body parts belonging to deceased demons. Greed stifled a laugh to make sure not to expose him and Wrath. The furious pony only looked ahead "We're getting close..."

Greed rolled his eyes "You don't say? I figured this mess was our doing..." He remarked sarcastically.

Wrath gave the avaricious pony a short glare before he perked his ears to hear munching noises. The two stopped and Greed eventually picked up on it, too. They cautiously trotted along the trail of blood and looked around as the sounds grew in volume. Greed looked up and noticed the demons appeared startled when they gazed to the right. "There! There they are! Let's get 'em!" One of them pointed at the undistinguishable scene and swooped down out of the two ponies' sights, and there was a loud chomp followed by a scream of pain and agony.

The hovering demon watched in fear and disgust and winced at the unseen carnage "I'm gonna need some help with this one..." He flew away quickly before he was noticed.

Wrath and Greed looked at each other, and then they galloped along the trail leading to the scene. Both of them managed a smirk at what they saw.

In the short distance, there sat a very round dark brown pony with no mane or tail and pupilless eyes. The arm of an unfortunate demon stuck out of his mouth as he chewed it up. On his flank was yet another Ouroboros tattoo, leading Greed to believe that he was definitely what him and Wrath were looking for.

Standing next to him was a slightly tall, slender, and beautiful lavender unicorn mare with a long horn, a flowing black mane and tail, and an Ouroboros tattoo on her flank as well. Her dazzling indigo eyes looked down at the pony chewing the arm and spoke "Have you had your fill for today, Gluttony?"

The one called Gluttony finally swallowed the arm and wiped his muzzle with a hoof "I'm still hungry..." He perked up and sniffed at the air "Th-That scent..." He continued to sniff until he caught the sight of two smiling ponies. He paused and blinked for a moment, then galloped over and sniffed them once again, and grinned ear-to-ear as he gasped with joy "Wrath! Greed!" He leaped and gathered the two former Homunculi in a hug.

The mare looked ahead to see Wrath and Greed wrapped in Gluttony's embrace, then hummed and smiled as she trotted over to get a better look "Never thought we would meet each other like this..."

Wrath looked over and smirked at the mare "None of us did, Lust...Despite the location, it's good to see a familiar face save for Greed."

Greed feigned sadness "Awww, and I figured you'd be happy to see me for the first time in a while~!"

Lust chuckled at the avaricious pony's sarcasm "So where do you suppose we are? Rather fitting given our previous crimes, is it not?"

Greed looked over at the lascivious mare and replied "We figured it was Hell with the scenery and all, but we heard from one of the demons that this place is called Tartarus...sounds like a kind of toothpaste or something..."

Gluttony broke the embrace and flashed a hungry smile "It sounds delicious! But it's nice to see you two again!"

The four former homunculi perked up and looked around when another large collision sounded with another small tremor. Greed shifted his piercing eyes "There it is again...What the fuck is that?"

Lust looked up "I'm not sure...Me and Gluttony felt it before, but we figured it was some kind of small disturbance..." Her eyes widened when she noticed a distant group of demons flying towards them "We have to hide! They're coming back!"

The others took notice to the advancing group and quickly fled to the deeper reaches of Tartarus to hide away from the demons.

The group of former homunculi, now numbering four, trotted along another trail and passed many prison cells. They saw folks, and noticed that some of them weren't ponies at all. Some resembled the chimeras they commanded in their time, only they were more of a cross between a hawk and a lion. Gluttony trotted innocently while the others kept a cautious pace, on the look out for any patrolling demons ahead.

Lust looked at Greed and Wrath and was curious about their appearance. She never expected them to tap into their old powers like this. The lascivious mare was unsure about her own powers managing to awaken, but she was lucky to have Gluttony defend for her. The voracious pony was always fond of her when they lived their lives as homunculi. She wanted to know how it was possible "Greed...Your power. How are you able to activate it like this?"

Greed turned his attention to Lust "What, this? Funny you should ask. I never thought I would be able to get my powers back, but somehow I've managed to keep it with me this whole time!" He struck a pose and chuckled "Pretty good, don't you think?"

Wrath sighed "What Greed meant to say was that his horn glowed and gave him his power...Have you not activated your own power while you were here, Lust?"

Lust shook her head "Sadly, no...But I'm happy to be protected by Gluttony." She smiled down at the round pony while he nuzzled at her side with a look of pure bliss "I hope I can be able to join the fight soon..."

Greed raised an eyebrow "Why not give it a shot while we're on the safe side? You know, so you could have some time to prepare for the next fight?"

Lust stopped and stood still as she stared up at her horn. She hummed in thought and closed her eyes. Before she could focus, Gluttony blurted out "I smell something!" That was enough to snap her out of her concentration as she looked down at the round pony while he sniffed the air "It's another familiar scent!"

Greed chuckled and grinned his sharp teeth "Nothing ever gets by your nose! Lead the way, Gluttony!" With that, the group followed a trail with Gluttony taking point.

They followed the voracious pony as he sniffed out the trail where the scent lingered, and then he stopped and pointed like a bloodhound at a nearby cell. The other three ponies traded curious looks and made their way towards the designated cell.

The group peeked inside to see a very odd creature snoring. It looked like a cross between a pony and an insect, with myriad holes poking out of its legs. There were insect wings and what seemed to be a fish-like fin in place of its mane and a tail with as much holes as its legs. It even sported a horn like Greed and Lust, and its skin was more black than Greed's coat. Its ears were mangled, and there were two sharp teeth visibly shown from its mouth.

The group, save for Gluttony, were all confused, and Lust looked down at the voracious pony "Gluttony, are you sure that this is where the familiar scent of yours led to?"

Gluttony looked up and nodded at Lust like a child "Uh-huh! I smelt it! It's coming from there!"

Greed rolled his eyes "We heard you the first time, Gluttony! Let's just give this little thing a wake-up call..." He banged on the cell door "Hey! Hey, you in there! Wake up!"

The odd creature was woken from its slumber and quickly planted onto its forelegs and leered its glowing blue pupilless eyes at the group "What the hell do you want!?" it spoke in a raspy and all-too-familiar harsh tone that caught the group by surprise.

Wrath peered inside after hearing the voice and paused for a moment "...Envy? Is that you?"

The one called Envy scoffed "Who wants to know!? Are you in cahoots with those asshole demons in this place or something!?" Its words spat venom.

Greed laughed at how the odd creature was flailing its rage "Go figure! We've all been given ridiculous looks, but yours just takes the cake! I mean, look at yourself!"

Envy sped up to the bars separating the group and growled "Hang on..." The odd creature leered at Greed and the others, and then its expression turned into shock and bemusement "How did you guys get here!? Where are we!?"

Wrath smiled "I'm glad you recognized us. We wouldn't have found you without the use of Gluttony's sense of smell..." He looked at the round pony while he pawed at the bars with a smile.

Gluttony continued to paw at the bars and spoke "Hello, Envy! Your legs look like cheese! Can I have a bite of it?"

Envy glared at the voracious pony "No way! You know better than to eat me, Gluttony! But enough about that!" the odd creature looked at the group "Get me out of here! I'm already sick of this place!"

Lust nodded with a small smile "Gladly..." She looked down at Gluttony "Go ahead, Gluttony..."

The round pony flashed a hungry grin and giggled while drool flooded through his teeth. The drool dripped from his mouth and each drop seered at the rough floor. Gluttony then opened his mouth and sunk his teeth into the bars while Envy hopped back and let him enjoy his meal. He teared through a good amount of bars before finally swallowing his fill and rubbing his belly "That was delicious!"

With the cell open from Gluttony's hunger, Envy hopped over and grouped with the other former homunculi. The odd creature raised an eyebrow "So how did you guys escape?"

Greed looked at Wrath "Me and the Fuhrer here duped some demons that went into our cell and we kicked their asses to oblivion!" He then turned to Lust and Gluttony "As for those two...you get the gist of it..."

Envy smirked at Gluttony "Why am I not surprised?" Envy then perked itself up and turned to Greed "Wait a minute! How are you in your Ultimate Shield form!?"

Lust closed her eyes "The same reason Wrath kept his Ultimate eye and Gluttony his insatiable hunger..."

Envy scoffed "Well if they have their powers, then that must mean..." The odd creature shut its eyes and stood still. A small green aura quickly flickered over Envy and transformed it into an exact replica of Lust.

Gluttony gasped and changed his gazes between both Lusts "Two of them?!"

Lust chuckled "Impressive...You've managed to retain your power as well."

The other Lust smirked and spoke with her exact voice "This will come in handy if we manage to bust out of this dump..." The blue aura from before flickered over the other Lust and transformed it into a replica of Wrath, voice and all "So what's the plan from here?"

Greed looked around "I think you just answered your own question. We should split before more of them demons show up!"

The other Wrath scoffed "Well I can't go in this form..." Envy then went back into its original form "And I sure as hell ain't going like this! I look stupid!"

Wrath narrowed his eyes "Why don't you improvise and save yourself time to complain?"

Envy growled, but then shut its eyes. It tapped into its memory and made sure it would look presentable. The small green aura from before flickered over the odd creature and gave it a whole different transformation. Envy was now seen as an androgynous green pegasus pony with the same black headband and clothes worn from its old life. Its dark green mane resembled the wild hairstyle from before and matched the tail as well. Just like the rest of the group, it was seen with an Ouroboros tattoo on its flank. The odd creature opened its purple eyes and gave a wicked grin "How do I look?"

Greed shrugged "Like a million bu-" There was another collision sound and a tremor, only it was louder, and the tremor was worse. The avaricious pony looked around with a glare "Okay, this is seriously starting to piss me off!"

Envy looked around in confusion "What was that anyway? Did something break?"

Wrath stepped forward "We can worry about that at a later date! We've already wasted enough time standing around! Let's get moving!" The others, save for Envy, nodded in agreement and followed the furious pony along another path.

Envy stayed behind for a moment and sneered at Wrath's actions "Who died and made you king?" The odd creature then galloped after the rest of the group.

End of Chapter 2