• Published 28th May 2015
  • 2,627 Views, 37 Comments

Ciderholic - twilightsparkle3562



Rainbow Dash turns to an Alcoholic Cider for comfort following Tank's hibernation

  • ...
13
 37
 2,627

Starting the Punishment

Chapter 6

"Starting the Punishment"

With the Flim Flam Brothers forcefully out of business, Rainbow Dash had set about beginning her punishment of dishwashing duty for doing what she did to the weather factory. It was a lot of hard work doing dishes, but it was something that Rainbow Dash needed to do in order to get herself back in Spitfire's good graces.

"I hope you understand why you are doing this," said Spitfire, walking into the kitchen. "You needed to be held accountable for what you did to your fellow pegasi, Rainbow Dash. And better get used to it, it's for two weeks."

"I know," sighed Rainbow Dash. "But, I can't help but ask myself, why would the Flim Flam Brothers do this?"

"Because they wanted somepony to take advantage of," replied Spitfire, bluntly. "And that somepony was you and you alone. I thought you taught me that being a wonderbolt was not about being reckless and the behavior you displayed recently made it clear to me that you were lying to me about what you said that day in my office."

Rainbow Dash wiped down another dirty plate as the confrontation she had with Spitfire the day Lightning Dust was demoted began to play out in her mind. Rainbow Dash could hear herself saying that there was a difference between pushing herself as hard as she could and just being reckless.

"You were being reckless because you wanted something that you couldn't keep forever and it put you in the situation that you found yourself in," continued Spitfire. "However, I've been wondering that maybe perhaps it would be best if once you completed your punishment, that I have you talk to our academy psychiatrist."

"Why?" asked Rainbow Dash. "Why are you going to send me to a psychiatrist? Aren't my friends enough, Spitfire?"

"Yes, you have your friends to talk with about your problems," replied Spitfire. "However, there will be matters that you need to talk about in a private manner. Tell me, did you ever talk to your pet tortoise about your everyday problems?"

Rainbow Dash stopped what she was doing and let out a long heavy sigh, almost as if she knew that she was going to talk about sensitive matters. Tank was the only she could talk to whenever there was an issue concerning her friends or her own personal life.

"Yeah, I did, Spitfire," replied Rainbow Dash, sadly. "Don't you see? Tank is the only one who understands what troubles me. I don't want my friends to know every last little detail about me and what I do. When I saw him dig himself in the ground, I thought that there was no way to talk to anyone about my problems."

Rainbow Dash then grabbed another dish and started to wipe it down as a tear trickled down her face. Spitfire sighed and realized that time was of the essence for Rainbow Dash to reveal her feelings in a private manner.

"Winter will be over in a few months, Rainbow Dash," she said. "Soon, your pet tortoise will awaken and you will be together again for another year. Animals know when it is time to sleep and your pet tortoise knew it was time to hibernate. Unfortunately, you didn't see it and now you do."

Rainbow had just about enough with the talking down to she was receiving, however she had to understand that what Spitfire was telling her was true. Tank would return in a few months, although she had refused to believe it initially.

"So, now I think it is best if you start seeing our academy psychiatrist as soon as your punishment is done," continued Spitfire, taking to the air. "I don't ever want to see you doing something like this ever again, do I make myself absolutely clear?"

"Yes, ma'am," replied Rainbow Dash, accepting her fate with a smile on her face, before returning to her punishment.

However, as she got back to her punishment, there was another thought that was going through her mind and that was being on the friendship council with Twilight and the others.

"But, what about my time…?" she started to ask before Spitfire interrupted her, raising a hoof to her face in order to silence her.

"I have talked it over with Princess Twilight," replied Spitfire, landing back on the ground. "We both agree that you need time to clear your head of all the bad thoughts that have been in your mind for some time. You cannot be on the friendship council if you are going to continue observing these behavioral methods. I'm sorry, but its Princess Twilight's orders as well as my own."

Rainbow Dash was dejected that she would have to be on the sidelines, however she knew that it was for her own good and that it would prevent another incident from ever happening again. She made a mistake and she had to pay for it.

"Then in that case," sighed Rainbow Dash. "I will see the psychiatrist after my punishment. I shamed the Wonderbolts by my own selfish behavior all because I could not cope with my pet hibernating for the winter."

Knowing that Rainbow Dash was submitting to her orders, Spitfire smiled and saluted Rainbow Dash before leaving her alone to her duties. As she left Rainbow Dash alone, Spitfire walked past a certificate that Rainbow Dash had received upon completing her test to become a member of the wonderbolt reserves. Looking at the certificate, Spitfire sighed heavily and began to think to herself.

"I hope by seeing the psychologist," she thought. "You understand the values of being a Wonderbolt and being a citizen of Equestria, the land we are sworn to protect from those who wish to harm our princesses and our way of life. The only threat to Equestria was yourself, Rainbow Dash, and I hope you understand that by doing this, you have a clear conscience for your future life as a member of Equestria's main aerial defense."

Only time would tell if Rainbow Dash would finally put the nightmare of Tank's hibernation and aftermath to rest forever…