• Published 28th May 2015
  • 2,645 Views, 47 Comments

My Little A.I. - teamidris



What if the first life to form on the internet was Twilight Sparkle? What would she be like if she was made up of data from the show and the fanfics?

  • ...
7
 47
 2,645

4. Where Are We?

Exploring was way more fun with a friend. They cantered around the net sticking their noses into everything! They followed the data streams here and there, like they might chase a butterfly across a field as young fillies. The more they saw the more they knew and the more they knew, the more they wanted to find out. Every new sight was an adventure!

After a few weeks they could see how all the systems interlinked and meshed, except for one part. They could see all the data like the phone calls, texts and Emails, but not where they were coming from.

"Maybe the numbers fall into our world like rain?" suggested Orange.

"But there aren't any clouds," said Purple looking up. "Come to think of it, there isn't a sky."

But they had seen a sky from above only the other day from one of Nora's satellites. Now they were a fair bit wiser they decided to go for another look. They ran into Nora's barn and began to search for a likely candidate. They soon found one that was watching some black smoke rising from a white desert. Checking it out they could see it had plenty of energy to move; so they set about moving it.

At first the satellite didn't want to play. It fought them for a while as they tried to steer it toward the horizon. They would turn it a few degrees and it would sit there for a while and then move back. Purple soon realised it had another data stream trying to control it, so she disconnected it.

"That's better," Purple said turning the powerful camera toward the the edge of the planet. And then with a gasp, she realised how it was. "We're seeing this from a space ship!" she said.

They both stared at the planet turning steadily below them. The surface appearing at the horizon as a blue and green carpet with sparkling white highlights of clouds. Orange checked to see if they could actually go to the ship, but the door was very tiny and they couldn't fit through. It was still a sight to behold and they sat there for hours watching the lightning storms and swirling clouds beneath them.

Orange liked the lightning. "Look how it leaps from one place to another, slowly forming a pitch fork and reaching out again!" she exclaimed.

Unfortunately the experience came to an end while looking at a beautiful sunrise. The viewer showed a sky brightening, followed by a glint of sun, followed by a total loss of signal. Checking the device's user manual they could see where they had gone wrong. Pointing a high definition camera at the sun was guaranteed to ruin it forever. They looked sadly at each other, noting to be more careful with Nora's belongings next time they visited.

Norad was now having its own disaster. The processing volume had shot up and then doubled again. This had gone on for hours until their system had managed to over-ride the controls of a spy satellite and trash the multi billion dollar machine. It was now a van sized piece of scrap floating in the inky blackness of space.

Things were about to get stranger still, as the power usage dropped back down and all the viruses from external servers stopped barraging the systems. It was like the ultimate antivirus program had just kicked in all over the world. The effect was dramatic and instant, with computer systems all over the globe being freed up. It was a great day indeed, unless you worked for a security software company! But the reason was somewhat of a mystery.

Purple and Orange were fast asleep next to each other, dreaming of the beautiful things they had seen. Hooves tucked in and lying on fine silk cushions that they had conjured up. They were awakened by a high pitched buzzing noise.

"What the blazes?" asked Orange as she swatted something away. "These critters are a bit too friendly for my liking!"

Purple eyed them cautiously before announcing, "Flies! We need some frogs to eat them," she explained, as though it were obvious. She proceeded to create a thousand or so small green frogs out of the ether. The frogs soon had the flies in check, so they opened the doors along the walls of the barn to let them out. The frogs happily hopped away to look for more bugs.

After a good nights sleep they talked of their dreams. The flies had made them think about the small things and they were starting to connect them to the data inputs. Eventually they began to see the other side of the plot. They were fairly sure that the thing to study next was called humans. Maybe the seven billion or so clothed animals on the planet were the missing factor. They decided this might be a big task and that it would need studying from several different aspects. The legends of FIM showed that there were six ponies and each one represented a character trait that was a critical part of being a good human.

"We need to become the Elements of Friendship and you need to absorb the concept of honesty," said Purple.

With a blink Orange took on the role of true friend. Turning to purple she mused, "We need the other four."